Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Holiday Producer's Letter (Read 23698 times)
FUCK YOU
Korthos Resident

Holiday Producer's Letter
Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:08am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431908-Holiday-Producer-s-Letter

Franchise Director

ProducerRowan's Avatar Join Date
Jul 2013
Default Holiday Producer's Letter
Happy Winter Holidays!

We’re coming to the end of 2013, and with that I’d like to capture some important moments from this year and give you insight into next.

This year the DDO Team made a commitment to reduce bugs, increase quality and deliver the features we promised. We’re not 100% yet on all counts, but here are some points of success and failure.

Critical Misses:
Mabar Festival. This event was loaded with more bugs and design flaws than we expected, and our best option was to close it early. Gargoyles are serious performance hogs, and the Vampires shouldn’t be permanently invisible. Expect us to take this back to the workshop and rebuild it before we re-introduce it.
Item duplication exploit. This was the result of another bug that we fixed. It’s an MMO classic and strangely made me nostalgic, but still has negative impacts on the game. Natural 1, ouch.

Critical Hits:
Enhancements! This feature has been in development almost two years, so it’s great to see the light of day. From the feedback and activity we’re seeing most of you don’t actively hate it, which means a good number of people may actively accept it, and some players may secretly love the changes. The new enhancement structure makes it much easier for us to introduce new PREs, such as the Warpriest and Eldritch Knight.
Storm Horn Mountains. This adventure area is the largest we’ve ever built, and arguably the most beautiful. Our goal was also to recreate the experience of exploration in Dungeons & Dragons, complete with varied creatures and random encounters. I believe we succeeded.
Epic Reincarnation. Extending reincarnation creates new opportunities for you to customize and advance your characters. We view this as only one step along the path to create a stable and substantial endgame along with adding new level cap content, settling on a persistent level cap (30), and making endgame systems like items and advancement more robust.

All this leads us to 2014, and the next set of key features we have planned for DDO. The features listed here are confirmed, meaning we’re committing to delivering them in 2014 (barring divine intervention or disaster).

Our first update of the year introduces two level 30 raids in the dwarf ruins of Thunderholme. The adventure area covers 7 floors with multiple raid and group encounters, while the raids start with a mated pair of red dragons and culminate in a confrontation with Aurgloroasa the Sibilant Shade. In addition to these two raids, we’ve reserved the option to add a third later in the year.

With the 40th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, we’ll also be introducing a tribute to the classic Ed Greenwood module Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. This dungeon will have a version matching the published module, and an extended version using Ed’s unpublished notes that introduces you to Whisper’s Crypt. The Original Elminster (Ed) will provide the Dungeon Master voice and an optional author’s commentary around creating this beloved adventure.

Thunderholme and Haunted Halls will both be free to VIPs.

DDO’s second update of the year will be pirate-themed, with new Guild Airship models, layouts, decorations and amenities. We’ll also revisit Three Barrel Cove to extend it into Epic levels.

The third update of the year will take you to Anauroch, the not-so-barren desert to the north of Cormyr. You will have the chance to battle the armies of Netheril and challenge a new enemy – the enigmatic Phaerimm.

Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap and complete the Epic levels. With this update we’ll be looking at ways to complete and improve existing systems like Epic Destinies.

I hear the initial comments already – wow Rowan, good stuff but what about [my favorite feature]! Remember that I’m only listing the features we’ve confirmed. There are many other ideas in process, only some of which will go into the game and out to live worlds.

One concept that we’re working through (but not promising) is end-game items. Initial proposals for this had internal names like “Greensteel 2,” “Intelligent Weapons” and “Sentient Weapons.” (Yes, there are implications of difference between “Intelligent” and “Sentient” weapons, depending on the version of D&D.) Ultimately these are items that are acquired in the endgame, earn experience and advance with you, and could require you to sacrifice other equipment to them to develop their power. Design has barely begun on this, but it may release in multiple phases and include crafting elements.

The team is also considering (but not promising) a range of additions, including scaling more content to Epic levels, adding new Classes or Iconics, adding new Enhancement paths or Epic Destinies, and possibly introducing player housing in Eberron.

Please let us know what you’d like to see next year, and onward as we develop and improve Dungeons & Dragons Online.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Re: Holiday Producer's Letter
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Are people really that incapable of copying formatting? Sheesh.

Quote:
Happy Winter Holidays!

We’re coming to the end of 2013, and with that I’d like to capture some important moments from this year and give you insight into next.

This year the DDO Team made a commitment to reduce bugs, increase quality and deliver the features we promised. We’re not 100% yet on all counts, but here are some points of success and failure.

Critical Misses:
  • Mabar Festival. This event was loaded with more bugs and design flaws than we expected, and our best option was to close it early. Gargoyles are serious performance hogs, and the Vampires shouldn’t be permanently invisible. Expect us to take this back to the workshop and rebuild it before we re-introduce it.
  • Item duplication exploit. This was the result of another bug that we fixed. It’s an MMO classic and strangely made me nostalgic, but still has negative impacts on the game. Natural 1, ouch.

Critical Hits:
  • Enhancements! This feature has been in development almost two years, so it’s great to see the light of day. From the feedback and activity we’re seeing most of you don’t actively hate it, which means a good number of people may actively accept it, and some players may secretly love the changes. The new enhancement structure makes it much easier for us to introduce new PREs, such as the Warpriest and Eldritch Knight.
  • Storm Horn Mountains. This adventure area is the largest we’ve ever built, and arguably the most beautiful. Our goal was also to recreate the experience of exploration in Dungeons & Dragons, complete with varied creatures and random encounters. I believe we succeeded.
  • Epic Reincarnation. Extending reincarnation creates new opportunities for you to customize and advance your characters. We view this as only one step along the path to create a stable and substantial endgame along with adding new level cap content, settling on a persistent level cap (30), and making endgame systems like items and advancement more robust.

All this leads us to 2014, and the next set of key features we have planned for DDO. The features listed here are confirmed, meaning we’re committing to delivering them in 2014 (barring divine intervention or disaster).

Our first update of the year introduces two level 30 raids in the dwarf ruins of Thunderholme. The adventure area covers 7 floors with multiple raid and group encounters, while the raids start with a mated pair of red dragons and culminate in a confrontation with Aurgloroasa the Sibilant Shade. In addition to these two raids, we’ve reserved the option to add a third later in the year.

With the 40th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, we’ll also be introducing a tribute to the classic Ed Greenwood module Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. This dungeon will have a version matching the published module, and an extended version using Ed’s unpublished notes that introduces you to Whisper’s Crypt. The Original Elminster (Ed) will provide the Dungeon Master voice and an optional author’s commentary around creating this beloved adventure.

Thunderholme and Haunted Halls will both be free to VIPs.

DDO’s second update of the year will be pirate-themed, with new Guild Airship models, layouts, decorations and amenities. We’ll also revisit Three Barrel Cove to extend it into Epic levels.

The third update of the year will take you to Anauroch, the not-so-barren desert to the north of Cormyr. You will have the chance to battle the armies of Netheril and challenge a new enemy – the enigmatic Phaerimm.

Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap and complete the Epic levels. With this update we’ll be looking at ways to complete and improve existing systems like Epic Destinies.

I hear the initial comments already – wow Rowan, good stuff but what about [my favorite feature]! Remember that I’m only listing the features we’ve confirmed. There are many other ideas in process, only some of which will go into the game and out to live worlds.

One concept that we’re working through (but not promising) is end-game items. Initial proposals for this had internal names like “Greensteel 2,” “Intelligent Weapons” and “Sentient Weapons.” (Yes, there are implications of difference between “Intelligent” and “Sentient” weapons, depending on the version of D&D.) Ultimately these are items that are acquired in the endgame, earn experience and advance with you, and could require you to sacrifice other equipment to them to develop their power. Design has barely begun on this, but it may release in multiple phases and include crafting elements.

The team is also considering (but not promising) a range of additions, including scaling more content to Epic levels, adding new Classes or Iconics, adding new Enhancement paths or Epic Destinies, and possibly introducing player housing in Eberron.

Please let us know what you’d like to see next year, and onward as we develop and improve Dungeons & Dragons Online.

IP Logged

FUCK YOU
Korthos Resident

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:24am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Proudexploiter
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I would say that considering the no of COVs epic reincarnation is a critical miss not a hit :p

althoug from Turbine perspective and store heart sales it could be a critical hit

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Rah rah rah
Get hyped
Promises incoming, it will be awesome, gives us your monies

Reality: turbined

I'll take the wait and see approach.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Thanks F and cdr.
In all fairness, Fs copy and paste wasn't too bad and was legible enough. I'd do the same when copying all via phonr and pasting to the vault.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Owning up to Mabar and duping, refreshing to see

New enhancements I do like

ETR I would not call a hit, needs more tweaks

Redesign guild ship and buffs are store items in the right direction

3bc epic, fire caves anyone? Looks like it won't get any love in the heroic version, outshines by other quests in that level range, but would be nice to see groups or activity for the pack, if it goes epic

Final "update" of 2014, is an update an expansion?

Epic review of other packs is great to breathe life into diversity of groups, I think it would help player retention. More choices and epic items

More classes and iconics opens up possibilities and draws more players and replay value

Housing, that's a joke. Code, server and infrastructure can't even handle additional inventory and character bank slots. Imagine the instance downloading each players house, cannith crafting times100.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Yeah.  It all SOUNDS great on paper.  Let's see the reality. 

Things I like the most:  Hearing that they will release 3 raids and several new content areas BEFORE considering moving the level cap.  They really need to fill in the content gap at end game and make it viable to play toons at cap with some ongoing development. 

That would mean a moderate grind (ala Greensteel or traditional raid loot or Epic Red Armor) that is not stupid easy to get (ala eGH and Epic Blue/Black/White Dragon Armor) or ridiculously difficult to get (ala Epic RoSS or Epic SoS and most of the decent Seal/Shard/Scroll epic items or DT Armor).

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Thunderholme..?

They need to get a bit more original with the cheesy names.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:52am:
Yeah.  It all SOUNDS great on paper.  Let's see the reality. 

Things I like the most:  Hearing that they will release 3 raids and several new content areas BEFORE considering moving the level cap.  They really need to fill in the content gap at end game and make it viable to play toons at cap with some ongoing development. 

That would mean a moderate grind (ala Greensteel or traditional raid loot or Epic Red Armor) that is not stupid easy to get (ala eGH and Epic Blue/Black/White Dragon Armor) or ridiculously difficult to get (ala Epic RoSS or Epic SoS and most of the decent Seal/Shard/Scroll epic items or DT Armor). 

I wonder if the raids will be 28 range, what the effect level 30 have on them, and content plans once30 is out. Turbine and long term plans? Nah

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:54am:
Thunderholme..?

Stockholm?

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Thunderholme..?

Are you certain that you are not really Diddle?  Maybe, he is just a side personality you don't really know, but you share the same brain.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Thunderholme..?

It predates DDO. It's been around since at least 1998 in the Forgotten Realms books.

It does seem like someone decided to parody the name Thunderdome. However the name comes off to me as hat tip to Thundercrack! and Johnny Wadd films.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I wish they would gtfo of forgotten realms and get back to ebberon.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:03pm:
I wonder if the raids will be 28 range, what the effect level 30 have on them, and content plans once30 is out. Turbine and long term plans? Nah

IF they were smart (big IF there), they'd do what they did with Hound and VoD when those came out.  Level cap was 16 but the raids were level 18.  Heck, at level 16 you had Shroud, Hound, VoD, and all 4 of the reaver's reach quests with a base level over the current level cap.  They should put the raids at level 29 or 30 on norm.  If you want to raise the cap, you need provide some content in advance that already fills the gap.

IP Logged

DiddleDoo
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I'm an eternal optimist, because bugs aside, I do love this game. So I will hope things will be done as they said.

Also, I don't mind them calling ETRing a good, but not a critical hit. It COULD be a cirtical hit if they fix the commendation issue, and perhaps lowered the karma requirement. The basis of the system itself is fine. I don't like running off destiny that long, but I can see why you should need to do so for some of the life.

2-3 million karma, 2500 comms or so, and I'd call ETRing a critical hit, tbh.

I like that the updates are free to VIP again.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
FUCK YOU wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:08am:
Our first update of the year introduces two level 30 raids in the dwarf ruins of Thunderholme.

FakeStrake wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:03pm:

Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:10pm:
IF
they were smart (big IF there), they'd do what they did with Hound and VoD when those came out.  Level cap was 16 but the raids were level 18.  Heck, at level 16 you had Shroud, Hound, VoD, and all 4 of the reaver's reach quests with a base level over the current level cap.  They should put the raids at level 29 or 30 on norm.  If you want to raise the cap, you need provide some content in advance that already fills the gap.

Too bad Rowan didn't state which level the raids are planned to be. Let's speculate some more on what level these raids may appear in.

IP Logged

ThE PhAnTOM GoD
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Well Strake, i am with you on the wait and see.  We always have to remember that when new things are introduced and they deliver on these ideas Turbine ends up breaking the game.  I hope that ddo survives the coming years and another company buys turbine out.  That would be best for ddo.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:09pm:
I wish they would gtfo of forgotten realms and get back to ebberon.

I agree with you, but not 100% Eberron.  I'd like to see a split.  One Eberron pack, one FR pack.  Of course, I doubt that's going to happen.  Eberron still has 80% of the quests. 

I also think they need to fill in the holes in the quests per level.

The weak epic levels being 20(1),23(7),25(1) 26(6),27(5),28(1).

The weak heroic levels being 12-15.  (I know that sounds weird, but there are the fewest quests in this range.  9-11 quests per level.  They just happen to be killer XP/min so nobody cares).

I'd like to see new quests have heroic levels in that range (12-15) with Epic quests that fit in the holes too.  Not just shoving it all at cap. 

Although, I doubt you will see anything actually published in the 12-14 range.  With Iconics starting at 15 and the ottos boxes, you have the majority of heroic play from 1-7 and from 15-20.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:19pm:
Too bad Rowan didn't state which level the raids are planned to be. Let's speculate some more on what level these raids may appear in.

LOL.  Good point.  Missed that. 

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:04pm:
Stockholm?

John Holmes?
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:06pm by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #21 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Mastertool wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:06pm:
Are you certain that you are not really Diddle?  Maybe, he is just a side personality you don't really know, but you share the same brain.

Looking at your name and post count, are you sure you aren't?

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:09pm:
It predates DDO. It's been around since at least 1998 in the Forgotten Realms books.

It does seem like someone decided to parody the name Thunderdome. However the name comes off to me as hat tip to Thundercrack! and Johnny Wadd films.

That's exactly what it was.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Translation : Find another mmo ( if you still playing ddo atm ) and come check back in winter 2014.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:34pm:
That's exactly what it was.

There was a name transition at some point.  Originally it was Thunderhome, situated under the Thunder Peaks.  At some point it became Thunderholme after the 90's.  Same place, same lore, new L.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint