Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Introduction and Development Plans (Read 4027 times)
TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Introduction and Development Plans
Dec 9th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432364-Introduction-and-Development-Pl...

Introduction and Development Plans

Hi everyone, following ProducerRowan’s letter, it seems like an opportune time to re-introduce myself to the community. You probably already know a bit of me from the dungeons I’ve created: Partycrashers, the Delirium dungeons, Blockade Buster, Undermine, I Dream of Jeets, Schemes of the Enemy, and Belly of the Beast (proper credit should also go to Keeper and Enosity for the visuals they made.)

I was lead of the content creation group while making some of those dungeons, but earlier this year I also became the lead of the design group as a whole.
As lead, I work with Producers Rowan, Glin and Vyvyanne to figure out the strategies of who works on what and when. That’s a bit tricky, since we know that some players want nothing but content, while other players advocate new classes, or enhancements, etc. It helps that we have so many developers that are so proficient in their specialties – rather than having all the developers tripping over each other by working on the same thing, we’re organized into different teams to work on different features at once.

So here are what the different teams are working on:

Enhancements & Epic Destinies

The developers who specialize on character advancement systems are concentrating on addressing the Enhancement issues that the community's submitted through the bug-tracker. There are currently developers spending all of their time addressing these bugs. Looking at the numbers of enhancement bugs we're fixing compared to what's coming in through the bug reports, we're hopeful that enhancements will soon reach a point where the vast majority of players feel it’s stable and complete.

We know that for a lot of players, “complete” means more enhancement trees. We have goals to make more trees for specific classes - we just released the Eldritch Knight for example. While we’re trying to fix as many enhancement bugs as we can for each release, we’d like to make sure we take the time to create each enhancement tree correctly, so you’ll see the trees trickle out at a slower rate.

And, we’ve already started a similar process to crush Epic Destiny issues. There are multiple developers working on fixing the reported ED bugs, and we’re planning out how to finish out remaining trees for everyone to feel that the system is complete. Piloto has already made posts to poll the communities for ideas on the next ED.

Treasure improvements

Simultaneously, we have a different team dedicated to treasure features. They’re currently focused on resolving the “ghostbane” issues. Some of you may already have seen DrOctothorpe’s posts on that topic. He and the rest of the treasure team are making changes to address as much player feedback as they can for patch and Update 21, and then they’ll move on to develop new treasure to go along with the new Update 21 content.

Some of the guys are overlapping with the character advancements team to look at the number of Commendations of Valor we’re giving out. We know that there are complaints that we’re giving out too few, and we’re working to address that. Some of what’s making it complex is that we want to give out the right number not only for the immediate short-term, but that it’ll stay the right number 6 months from now or 2 years from now.

New dungeons

Yes, we also have a whole separate team busily making brand new content too, as well as fixing bugs in old content. We know this is the bread & butter of DDO, so this is our largest team.
BTW, I haven’t stopped working on new dungeons. I’m about to go back and put some more work into the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. Working with Ed Greenwood has been a blast, and he’s certainly set an ambitious target. The Haunted Halls already has more gameplay than what I put in any of my previous dungeons and there’s still much more to go!

Aside from the efforts going into those priorities, there is also planning and setup work going into the future features that ProducerRowan mentioned. Don’t worry, it’s not our intent to simply ignore systems such as Housing or Crafting either – we’ll get to those once we’re through with our current pushes with core features like Enhancements and Epic Destinies .

A final thing before I head back into dungeon work – we’re really trying to keep the flow of communication going. Over the next few weeks, developers from each of the disciplines will be talking about what’s happening in their particular specialties. This is to give the players the information you’re asking for, but it’s also to help the developers get the feedback they need to properly take DDO where everyone wants it to go!

-      PurpleFooz

TLDR for me I have to write an exam in 1.5 hours.

Cheers! Tongue! Smiley!

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Re: Introduction and Development Plans
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
How hard is hitting "quote"? Sigh, FTFY:

Quote:
Hi everyone, following ProducerRowan’s letter, it seems like an opportune time to re-introduce myself to the community. You probably already know a bit of me from the dungeons I’ve created:  Partycrashers, the Delirium dungeons, Blockade Buster, Undermine, I Dream of Jeets, Schemes of the Enemy, and Belly of the Beast (proper credit should also go to Keeper and Enosity for the visuals they made.)

I was lead of the content creation group while making some of those dungeons, but earlier this year I also became the lead of the design group as a whole.
As lead, I work with Producers Rowan, Glin and Vyvyanne to figure out the strategies of who works on what and when. That’s a bit tricky, since we know that some players want nothing but content, while other players advocate new classes, or enhancements, etc.  It helps that we have so many developers that are so proficient in their specialties – rather than having all the developers tripping over each other by working on the same thing, we’re organized into different teams to work on different features at once.

So here are what the different teams are working on:

• Enhancements & Epic Destinies

• The developers who specialize on character advancement systems are concentrating on addressing the Enhancement issues that the community's submitted through the bug-tracker. There are currently developers spending all of their time addressing these bugs. Looking at the numbers of enhancement bugs we're fixing compared to what's coming in through the bug reports, we're hopeful that enhancements will soon reach a point where the vast majority of players feel it’s stable and complete.
    • We know that for a lot of players, “complete” means more enhancement trees. We have goals to make more trees for specific classes - we just released the Eldritch Knight for example. While we’re trying to fix as many enhancement bugs as we can for each release, we’d like to make sure we take the time to create each enhancement tree correctly, so you’ll see the trees trickle out at a slower rate.
    • And, we’ve already started a similar process to crush Epic Destiny issues. There are multiple developers working on fixing the reported ED bugs, and we’re planning out how to finish out remaining trees for everyone to feel that the system is complete. Piloto has already made posts to poll the communities for ideas on the next ED.
  • Treasure improvements

• Simultaneously, we have a different team dedicated to treasure features. They’re currently focused on resolving the “ghostbane” issues.  Some of you may already have seen DrOctothorpe’s posts on that topic. He and the rest of the treasure team are making changes to address as much player feedback as they can for patch and Update 21, and then they’ll move on to develop new treasure to go along with the new Update 21 content.
    • Some of the guys are overlapping with the character advancements team to look at the number of Commendations of Valor we’re giving out. We know that there are complaints that we’re giving out too few, and we’re working to address that. Some of what’s making it complex is that we want to give out the right number not only for the immediate short-term, but that it’ll stay the right number 6 months from now or 2 years from now.
  • New dungeons

• Yes, we also have a whole separate team busily making brand new content too, as well as fixing bugs in old content. We know this is the bread & butter of DDO, so this is our largest team.
      BTW, I haven’t stopped working on new dungeons. I’m about to go back and put some more work into the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. Working with Ed Greenwood has been a blast, and he’s certainly set an ambitious target. The Haunted Halls already has more gameplay than what I put in any of my previous dungeons and there’s still much more to go!

Aside from the efforts going into those priorities, there is also planning and setup work going into the future features that ProducerRowan mentioned. Don’t worry, it’s not our intent to simply ignore systems such as Housing or Crafting either – we’ll get to those once we’re through with our current pushes with core features like Enhancements and Epic Destinies .

A final thing before I head back into dungeon work – we’re really trying to keep the flow of communication going. Over the next few weeks, developers from each of the disciplines will be talking about what’s happening in their particular specialties. This is to give the players the information you’re asking for, but it’s also to help the developers get the feedback they need to properly take DDO where everyone wants it to go!

-      PurpleFooz

IP Logged

itsmineisawitfirst
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
GL on your exam. Unless you're exploiting.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Oh, so this is the guy responsible for giving loot duties to Bucket of Shit?

Or is it just fooz who fired him?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Oh, so this is the guy responsible for giving loot duties to Bucket of Shit?

Or is it just fooz who fired him?

Given that he was just put in charge of development earlier this year (only being a content developer prior), he would not be the guy who hired FoS or put him on Items.  FoS was on items for over a year.

He could be the guy who sent him packing.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I have very low expectations for this new lead designer guy.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
communications... lots of communications lately... its so weird :p

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:26pm:
communications... lots of communications lately... its so weird :p

Always happens after a development shake up.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:18pm:

So you're saying that, on the Turdbin expectation scale, you are wildly optimistic about this?

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I liked some of the quests he made, but good soldiers don't always make good generals.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Now is the best time to be the lead, the population has such low expectations and the moral is equivalent to a pile of horse shit.  You could do a half assed job and come out looking like the best thing there ever was.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:18pm:

Well DUH, he works at Turdbin.

But cheap shots aside, I didn't get a warm fuzzy about his post either, though that could just be that we've been lied to so many times that I'm beyond having faith in anything but their ability to fail.

At this point, what could any Turdbin employee say that would inspire trust and hope in anybody but the Fanbois?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
Now is the best time to be the lead, the population has such low expectations and the moral is equivalent to a pile of horse shit.  You could do a half assed job and come out looking like the best thing there ever was.

Yep.  All it would take is some bug fixes and turning old content epic for the next year or so (Epic Titan, Epic Vale, Epic TOD, Epic Hound, Epic VOD) along with adding ED's and PrE's.  If they also expanded Cannith Crafting they'd win me alone.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:38pm:
At this point, what could any Turdbin employee say that would inspire trust and hope in anybody but the Fanbois?

It would take at least 3 'delivered' on updates for me to start to have faith again.  Update 20 was shit aside from EK though.  The change to the XP curve was welcome as well.  But they are talking about boat revamps.  They've got 2 dozen gushing holes in this boat to fix before they get on cosmetics.

IP Logged

exploytoften
Waterworks Kobold

Can i haz yer stuffz?

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Set your expectations low, and you won't be disappointed by turdbin....... they do have a track history of epic fail

My motto is: exploit early, exploit often
YIM  
IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
Always happens after a development shake up.

Yeah, I suspect there's been some Development shakeup...

Plume de Soleil is still MIA while our Favorite Kobold has been logged on the Official Forums.
By Friday it will be a month.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Oh boy, more class based PrE’s and *STILL* none of the racial PrE’s.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
Oh boy, more class based PrE’s and *STILL* none of the racial PrE’s.

Yeah, the guild ships need revamping first.  They aren't making enough money on the DDO store.

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
What can you expect from a turdbine employee that call himself PURPLEPOO?

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #19 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
CanIHazYourStuff wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:21pm:
What can you expect from a turdbine employee that call himself PURPLEPOO?

Psychedelic diarrhea?

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #20 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Dr_tank2vich wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
Psychedelic diarrhea?

Cheech and Chong Meet Mall Rats?

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #21 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I will give him some time. I am tempted to write something relatively feisty on the main forums and see what happens. Just because I think being poked with sticks is good with devs.

IP Logged

arjiwan
Titan Demolisher

I Love Comedy!

Reply #22 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
He could be the guy who sent him packing.

Sorry to ask, what do you mean by this?  I am not updated or anything.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #23 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Fired him?  There is no confirmation, just speculation.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 5:10pm:
It would take at least 3 'delivered' on updates for me to start to have faith again.  Update 20 was shit aside from EK though.  The change to the XP curve was welcome as well.  But they are talking about boat revamps.  They've got 2 dozen gushing holes in this boat to fix before they get on cosmetics.

Yeah, I think that would be about the minimum for me too.

Promises and speaches have no weight in light of their recent history. A single good update will seem a fluke not a trend.

It will take at least 3 solid, delivered winners to indicate that they've finally learned their lesson.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint