Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please (Read 51705 times)
Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Re: SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please
Reply #100 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:38am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:33am:
Fell free to chone on the way out!

I'm wondering what language this is.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #101 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Try Google.
Vault+Chone should do the trick.

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #102 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:49am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:41am:
Try Google.
Vault+Chone should do the trick.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chone

Quote:
A chick you would bone, a chone.
Dude, check out that chone over there.

http://si.com/vault/topic/article/Angel_Chone_Figgins/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/dd/i...

Quote:
Angel Chone Figgins
There are no Sports Illustrated articles for Angel Chone Figgins. Please try another View option to look for articles or click photos, galleries or covers to view more information on this topic.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #103 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Allow me to help as your searchfu is weak.

The verb "to chone" comes from an earlier Vault member, SirChonas, who was the subject of some abuse in the face of persistent idiocy.  He eventually deleted his account when no one here, not even Strakeln, knew that it was even possible.  That caused quite a stir and hence the term "chone" was born.  It has additional significance for those familiar with Linux, as "chown" is a command to change file ownership.

Translation - it means delete your account.
If we bore you, feel free to delete and find your intellectual amusement somewhere else.

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #104 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:17am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:15am:
Allow me to help as your searchfu is weak.

The verb "to chone" comes from an earlier Vault member, SirChonas, who was the subject of some abuse in the face of persistent idiocy.  He eventually deleted his account when no one here, not even Strakeln, knew that it was even possible.  That caused quite a stir and hence the term "chone" was born.  It has additional significance for those familiar with Linux, as "chown" is a command to change file ownership.

Translation - it means delete your account.
If we bore you, feel free to delete and find your intellectual amusement somewhere else.

Smiley why would I go when you give me so much amusement?

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #105 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Think of it as "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out"

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #106 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Reads better as "Slam your head in the door repeatedly before you gtfo"

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #107 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
And slam your cock in the door once too for good measure.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:19pm by Lurp »  

IP Logged

Ironclan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:39am:
Well fuck - now I'm all confused. I still want to hate on FoS due to what happened on his watch - but now it seems like he was as much a victim of Turbine ineptitude as the players are. Sounds like things behind the scenes are even more screwed up then I thought they were - so no wonder the game is in a state of befuckedness.

I remain unconvinced you were in fact good at your job during your tenure at Turbine, FoS - but I do hope you find the opportunity to prove it at your next job. Happy trails, and best of luck with the new venture.

Some of us have known this all along. It's the way real life works.

IP Logged

Ironclan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #109 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51pm:
This makes me sad.  It implies that the real reason why so many things are fucked up is still working at Turbine.

Yes they're called suits.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #110 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I'm not convinced that this epiphany from FoS was much more than a bitter parting shot at Turbine for telling him to jump or be pushed. Turbine benefit from dropping him like a hot rock, he gets to whinge on here to try to reclaim some dignity and attempt to hijack some DDOers for his new project, and we get no more weapons named after brony BS.
Sounds like a win all round.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #111 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Ironclan wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:57pm:
Yes they're called suits.

the code monkeys have to wear suits at Turbine?  daaayyyam, they be strict yo.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #112 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:03pm:
I'm not convinced that this epiphany from FoS was much more than a bitter parting shot at Turbine for telling him to jump or be pushed. Turbine benefit from dropping him like a hot rock, he gets to whinge on here to try to reclaim some dignity and attempt to hijack some DDOers for his new project, and we get no more weapons named after brony BS.

This smells about right.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:45pm:
the code monkeys have to wear suits at Turbine?  daaayyyam, they be strict yo.

But they do look snazzy

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #114 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Can you put a scarf on that monkey?

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #115 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Wait. There's a pony named Ghostbane?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #116 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Wish I could say I was ever in charge of it, but my title was Associate Designer- there was always someone else technically in charge, though I did most of the design and implementation for treasure in Updates 14 through 17.

The only projects I ever really owned were my own pet projects- things like augment system, different variants of loot on harder difficulties, and the revamped cosmetic system with equippable cosmetic items.

A big part of why I left was due to my frustration with the results of itemization in Update 19 and onward, and the fruitless results of my arguments with the lead designer over it.
As you all saw, it eventually got to the point where I went into the office onto a weekend and added new treasure effects and items in myself. Those changes were unapproved, and much of it was pulled out the next week, though I think bits and pieces of it had been filtered back in by DocOct and Melange.
Still, it put PurpleFooz (the lead designer) and I on edge with each-other. I had it when he told me that the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion wasn't supposed to be "endgame", since there would be another level cap increase in a year.
How can you release an "expansion" without endgame content or rewards?
I reached the point where the constant arguments weren't worth it, and I decided to look elsewhere.

I think DDO's senior designers are all good people and are on the right track now. With luck, you'll all enjoy what is coming in Update 21. Steel's raids are badass.

I doubt you'll be hearing any more from me. I'm on my way to California, and from there, will be fully invested in an upcoming online persistent world game. =)

Goodbye!

So, stay here and post generic shit from the perspective of a dev. 

All we see and know is how it feels on the receiving end (post pic of goatse here) of decisions made by whomever.

No, I didn't like many things that changed during your tenure - doesn't mean I can't get some insight from your perspective, tho - now that you can give that insight without the DDO tie-in.

EDIT:  and no more fuggin' ponies.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:07pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #117 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:36am:
Pretty much. He knew what he was getting in to. Though it was interesting to read that he quit over the direction the game is heading.

Not sure if FoS leaving because of this is a good or bad thing - or not important at all.

Final question: how does the West Coast feel about scarves?

and hats, don't forget.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #118 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:39am:
but now it seems like he was as much a victim of Turbine ineptitude as the players are.

Yah, that's what's got me trying to be nicer right now... keeping in mind I could be reading way too much into FoS' posts.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #119 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 1:03pm:

I suspect this is probably the most accurate way to describe the situation.

Its a shame he chose to post here a couple of times then disappear, rather than sticking around a while. Though he is probably proud of himself for getting people all riled up one last time.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #120 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:07pm:
So, stay here and post generic shit from the perspective of a dev. 

All we see and know is how it feels on the receiving end (post pic of goatse here) of decisions made by whomever.

No, I didn't like many things that changed during your tenure - doesn't mean I can't get some insight from your perspective, tho - now that you can give that insight without the DDO tie-in.

EDIT:  and no more fuggin' ponies.

I was with you until that last sentence. I was so looking forward to seeing these Battleframes in game.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #121 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 4:16pm:

First-Person Shooter MMO - back in my day, we called those ... First-Person Shooters.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #122 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 11:25pm:
Fеrnando is still there but in another capacity

Here he is working in that capacity in the Dev shop.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #123 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:47pm:
Riding off into the sunset. Last Friday was my final day at Turbine. I've accepted an excellent offer from a studio on the west coast. It's a huge career step up for me. Though it pains me to leave Turbine and DDO after so many years, some opportunities are too good to pass up.

We had a pretty kickass goodbye party. Vesuvium (remember him? He did the Druid class, before he moved onto character design for Infinite Crisis) will now forever be known as Hentai Tentacle King, due to the results of a hilarious game of Telestrations.

I've tried to make sure everyone I leave behind at Turbine is ready- several of the content designers have been doing most of the itemization work for the past several updates (my last big itemization push was Epic Gianthold's treasure, and the Augment system). DocOct and Melange have good heads on their shoulders, and I'm confident they'll continue doing a great job.

Post u17, I had been working primarily on enhancements, with the main release of the Enhancement pass, followed by Warpriest and Eldritch Knight, and now, Divine Crusader.
I hope you guys have fun with Divine Crusader, it was my final project on DDO. I made it wildly overpowered on purpose. Wink
Though, I think Vargouille will be fixing that soon! I handed the destiny off to him on Friday, and he'll be finishing the last few enhancements in it.

P.S: Before I was a developer on DDO, I was Game Master Phoenix. I'm amazed no-one ever made the connection. That's what the name Feather of Sun referred to. Tolero wouldn't let me keep Phoenix. =)

Just cause

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #124 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Wish I could say I was ever in charge of it, but my title was Associate Designer- there was always someone else technically in charge, though I did most of the design and implementation for treasure in Updates 14 through 17.

The only projects I ever really owned were my own pet projects- things like augment system, different variants of loot on harder difficulties, and the revamped cosmetic system with equippable cosmetic items.

A big part of why I left was due to my frustration with the results of itemization in Update 19 and onward, and the fruitless results of my arguments with the lead designer over it.
As you all saw, it eventually got to the point where I went into the office onto a weekend and added new treasure effects and items in myself. Those changes were unapproved, and much of it was pulled out the next week, though I think bits and pieces of it had been filtered back in by DocOct and Melange.
Still, it put PurpleFooz (the lead designer) and I on edge with each-other. I had it when he told me that the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion wasn't supposed to be "endgame", since there would be another level cap increase in a year.
How can you release an "expansion" without endgame content or rewards?
I reached the point where the constant arguments weren't worth it, and I decided to look elsewhere.

I think DDO's senior designers are all good people and are on the right track now. With luck, you'll all enjoy what is coming in Update 21. Steel's raids are badass.

I doubt you'll be hearing any more from me. I'm on my way to California, and from there, will be fully invested in an upcoming online persistent world game. =)

Goodbye!

and again

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint