Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please (Read 51722 times)
Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Re: SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please
Reply #125 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:39pm:
Fortunately, being very good at what you do and dedicated to your job helps avoid getting fired.

I regularly take blame from the community for things that aren't my doing, or my responsibility to fix. Rather than avoid any forum interaction like most developers do, I'm willing to actually pop in, say hello, give some insight on what's going on or how things work, and ask questions to get to the heart of a problem so that I can fix it, because if I don't, no-one else will find out what's going on or do anything about it.

I'm okay with that.

See: Broken Black Abbot 20th rewards, Warforged healer's friend, Spell Power issues, among many other things.

If you want to delude yourselves into thinking that I caused those issues (hint: I don't code), or that somehow they're my responsibility, just because I'm the one trying to figure out what's going on with them so that I can get them fixed, then that's fine if it makes you feel better.

I can deal with the harassment, and the threats of physical violence from you guys, because in the end, it honestly doesn't matter. I'm not going to let that kind of bullying discourage me from doing my job properly.

The fact is, I'm here, and I'm here to stay. I have a job I love, and I'm damn good at it. I work insane hours, go into the office on weekends to work on side projects (like buffing hirelings, or on the hinted-about new augment system) because I want to, and I put my all into what I do.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

And this one, too.  Just for keeping the shit all in one spot.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #126 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Yabb!

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #127 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Post u17, I had been working primarily on enhancements, with the main release of the Enhancement pass, followed by Warpriest and Eldritch Knight, and now, Divine Crusader.

So Warpriest which only came about because everyone hated and raged on the motherforums that the original tree sucked anus?

and Divine Crusader, which got torn a new hole day one and players have been trying to get it changed ever since?

Yeah good riddance buddy!  high five!

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

SolarDawning
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #128 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:10am:
Congratulations on the career move.

I admire that you made a move when you realized the lead designer and you were never going to see eye to eye.

Big move across the country, sunny Cali fits your motif.

I echo some of the guys here, would be interested to hear what game you are part of when you can talk about it, or ready for release.

Thanks! I just leased my new apartment today. It's pretty cool to finally be able to afford my own place.

I have family out here too- that made SoCal beat out the other offers I was looking at.

FakeStrake wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:17am:
So epic level Sun's Fury prefixes dropping in L12 quests was your Easter egg from that weekend at Bernie's? Nice touch.

Nah, that was Melange breaking it because he made a mistake when putting a MotU affix back in.

Mokune wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:18pm:
The Superior Stability and Attack Bonus ML increase on Cannith Crafted gear sucked ass and broke leveling gear setups on several toons but meh.  I blamed FoS for this Smiley

FYI, Cannith Crafting predates me. I've never worked on it. I started with Menace of the Underdark. Cannith Crafting is Piloto. So send your praise/hate on it to him.

Arkat wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:00pm:
Oh, one more thing Solar.

If you're not bound by an enforceable NDA, any insight as to how things ran internally there at Turbine would be appreciated.

Sorry, but I'd rather not burn bridges. I might go back to the East Coast someday. The game industry is small, and it's because of glowing recommendations from current and former Turbinites that I had good offers to choose from as soon as I started looking elsewhere.
I think the only thing I can say is that Turbine is currently stable, as long as Infinite Crisis does as well as they hope it will.

Hey, I think I can give a couple of teasers, though.
The next Anniversary rewards has a tornado in a bottle as one of the rewards you can get. I made that for fun on my last week. It's a throwing weapon that makes a tornado, as the name implies. No saving throw, 6 second AoE knockdown. Damage is something like 18d4 per character level. (Yes, its a throwing weapon that scales with the level of the character using it)
I don't know how many will be given out per player. Hopefully it's enough that people can have some fun with them.
There's some other bottled spells I made with it, like an AoE bottled Flesh to Stone. DC 30+character level.

There's some stuff with guild airships coming up. I don't really know any details, since I was never part of future-update planning.

Other stuff:
Now that I'm gone, the difficulty-based loot has been discontinued. No more different items on Epic Normal/Hard/Elite. I was told it over-rewarded Elite play. Can't say I agree.

Thanks for the fun couple of years, DDO! It's been all of you guys who have kept me interested and engaging with the community.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #129 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I always thought the nheloot system was worse than the seal shard and scroll. The scaling levels was obnoxious.

I wont be sad to see it go.  However I think mixing the two would be ideal.

Ie. All items drop as normal version, then can be upgraded to hard with 1 scroll then to elite with seal and shard.  You can jump straight from n-e by without a scroll with a second seal or shard.

All seals and shards should be replaced with generic versions. Stats should be the same on all versions, only slots should be upgraded.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2014 at 8:51pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #130 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
That would be ideal.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #131 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Yeah, i didn't mind that the grades existed, would have been nice to be able to upgrade though. I guess it depends how many purchased astral shards to fund stuff...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #132 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
FoS thanks for trying. Have fun in Cali! Gratz on the new pad. Have fun.

Think you tried to re-do the loot system and got put off it by higher ups because that didnt produce money and they want only what they can sell. Yes, I do think the staff is that blatant and transparent in its cash grabs. It has to be to keep afloat. I am going to miss the ee tier loot system as it gave people an incentive to grind out ee chests.. So, thanks for that.

I think the new loot dev comes in and fucks shit up even worse and that is with him being allowed to finish implementing his project!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #133 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:59pm:
It's pretty cool to finally be able to afford my own place instead of crashing at my mom's.

FTFY Cheesy

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #134 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:20pm:
FTFY Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #135 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:39pm:
So Warpriest which only came about because everyone hated and raged on the motherforums that the original tree sucked anus?

and Divine Crusader, which got torn a new hole day one and players have been trying to get it changed ever since?

Yeah good riddance buddy!  high five!

To think the Protection tree wasn't even the worse one.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #136 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:23am
Print Post  
You may not have worked on the design and implementation of cannith crafting (which i think is fine, just needs more recipes), but your system to automate loot levels really fucked cannith crafting over.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #137 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:23am:
You may not have worked on the design and implementation of cannith crafting (which i think is fine, just needs more recipes), but your system to automate loot levels really fucked cannith crafting over.

which was the main beef crafters had with your changes Plume de Soleil.  besides the shitty lesser essence concept and lack of recipes, Cannith crafting works pretty well.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:41am by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #138 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:42am
Print Post  
The game industry is small, and it's because of glowing recommendations from current and former Turbinites that I had good offers to choose from as soon as I started looking elsewhere.
H

So what you're saying is that you were able to get the new job because you were good at your old job.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #139 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Now that I'm gone, the difficulty-based loot has been discontinued. No more different items on Epic Normal/Hard/Elite. I was told it over-rewarded Elite play. Can't say I agree.

Booo!!!!!!  At least the CoVs are incentive . . . but there needed to be SOMETHING compelling to run EE when EH is so much stupidly easier.

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #140 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:42am:
So what you're saying is that you were able to get the new job because you were good at your old job.

When you want someone to leave but don't want to fire them, the oldest trick in the book is to give them good recommendations so the next guy hires them and takes them off your hands.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #141 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
And just remember kids, random effects on loot is fun!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #142 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks! I just leased my new apartment today. It's pretty cool to finally be able to afford my own place.

I have family out here too- that made SoCal beat out the other offers I was looking at.

Nah, that was Melange breaking it because he made a mistake when putting a MotU affix back in.

FYI, Cannith Crafting predates me. I've never worked on it. I started with Menace of the Underdark. Cannith Crafting is Piloto. So send your praise/hate on it to him.

Sorry, but I'd rather not burn bridges. I might go back to the East Coast someday. The game industry is small, and it's because of glowing recommendations from current and former Turbinites that I had good offers to choose from as soon as I started looking elsewhere.
I think the only thing I can say is that Turbine is currently stable, as long as Infinite Crisis does as well as they hope it will.

Hey, I think I can give a couple of teasers, though.
The next Anniversary rewards has a tornado in a bottle as one of the rewards you can get. I made that for fun on my last week. It's a throwing weapon that makes a tornado, as the name implies. No saving throw, 6 second AoE knockdown. Damage is something like 18d4 per character level. (Yes, its a throwing weapon that scales with the level of the character using it)
I don't know how many will be given out per player. Hopefully it's enough that people can have some fun with them.
There's some other bottled spells I made with it, like an AoE bottled Flesh to Stone. DC 30+character level.

There's some stuff with guild airships coming up. I don't really know any details, since I was never part of future-update planning.

Other stuff:

Thanks for the fun couple of years, DDO! It's been all of you guys who have kept me interested and engaging with the community.

Best of luck on your new opportunity.  I agree, the EN/EH/EE difficulty difference was a nice thing.  I don't think you can ever "over reward" elite play. 

That was one of my favorite changes that came about after MoTU.  I also liked the augments and the loot scalability in FoT and CiTW weapons. 

Random effects on named loot gen was the major thing I think I didn't like from this era.  Also, the loss of many prefixes and suffixes when the naming scheme was redone and things like ghostbane, accuracy, deadly, seeking, etc was brought out.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #143 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:12pm:
And just remember kids, random effects on loot is fun!

OMG, I had completely forgotten about that!

Now I'm sure of it - I hate him.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #144 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Other stuff:

So what is exactly the plan about loot after U21 raids? Are we going back to Shard/Scroll/Seals with, hopefully, decent drop rates?

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #145 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
If there were decent drops you wouldnt spend your life farming stuff over and over and paying for ways to avoid farming stuff over and over.

We will see outrageously low drop rates on all new items.

And we will continue to ignore new content and buy stuff on the Auction House (not the Astral Shard House).

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #146 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:27pm:
So what is exactly the plan about loot after U21 raids? Are we going back to Shard/Scroll/Seals with, hopefully, decent drop rates?

Probably upgrading via Comms of Valor and other new ingredients.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #147 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
So... no reply on any insider information exploits... erm... features that we can use for the mutual benefit of the community?

Like... maybe a way to get Scintillating back?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #148 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:27pm:

Haha, that is like 3 or 3 abandoned systems ago. No way are they going back to that. The new guy will make new things that will be abandoned by the next new guy

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #149 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Bring back seal shard scroll!

Smiley

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint