Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please (Read 51648 times)
Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: SolarDawning, Proof of Life, Please
Reply #25 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Wish I could say I was ever in charge of it, but my title was Associate Designer- there was always someone else technically in charge, though I did most of the design and implementation for treasure in Updates 14 through 17.

The only projects I ever really owned were my own pet projects- things like augment system, different variants of loot on harder difficulties, and the revamped cosmetic system with equippable cosmetic items.

A big part of why I left was due to my frustration with the results of itemization in Update 19 and onward, and the fruitless results of my arguments with the lead designer over it.
As you all saw, it eventually got to the point where I went into the office onto a weekend and added new treasure effects and items in myself. Those changes were unapproved, and much of it was pulled out the next week, though I think bits and pieces of it had been filtered back in by DocOct and Melange.
Still, it put PurpleFooz (the lead designer) and I on edge with each-other. I had it when he told me that the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion wasn't supposed to be "endgame", since there would be another level cap increase in a year.
How can you release an "expansion" without endgame content or rewards?
I reached the point where the constant arguments weren't worth it, and I decided to look elsewhere.

I think DDO's senior designers are all good people and are on the right track now. With luck, you'll all enjoy what is coming in Update 21. Steel's raids are badass.

I doubt you'll be hearing any more from me. I'm on my way to California, and from there, will be fully invested in an upcoming online persistent world game. =)

Goodbye!

Good bye and good riddance...

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #26 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
If you're still reading I gotta know . . . was anyone even aware that the post-MoTU loot changes would completely kill raiding?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:21pm:
It's really fucked for any of you to say rude thing to Feather on his way out.

He didn't post on the vault expecting praise and admiration in every post. Seriously, quit being dumb. Nobody posts here without expecting someone to insult them.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:10am:
He didn't post on the vault expecting praise and admiration in every post. Seriously, quit being dumb. Nobody posts here without expecting someone to insult them.

Hey fuck you buddy.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Goodbye SD. We had our battles. Farewell and good luck.  Smiley

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:36am
Print Post  

Pretty much. He knew what he was getting in to. Though it was interesting to read that he quit over the direction the game is heading.

Not sure if FoS leaving because of this is a good or bad thing - or not important at all.

Final question: how does the West Coast feel about scarves?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #31 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51am
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:36am:
Pretty much. He knew what he was getting in to. Though it was interesting to read that he quit over the direction the game is heading.

Not sure if FoS leaving because of this is a good or bad thing - or not important at all.

So Purplefooz is the asshole who's fucking up loot?  I also didn't understand how the augments weren't fully implemented.  what else were they supposed to be able to do?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #32 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:21pm:
None of you have a fucking clue what ACTUALLY happened at Turbine or what Feather as a person was responsible for or not.

Want to bet on that?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #33 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51am
Print Post  

best question ever. SF LOVES scarves, LA people will definitely look at you funny. In San Diego, someone will probably try to choke you with it.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #34 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:53am
Print Post  

uh......

unless he like, you know, posted because strakeIn made an impassioned plea to enquire about his existence. he didn't necessarily want to hear from any of us.

though its obvious he was waiting for a new job to clear the air.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #35 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51am:
Want to bet on that?

no, because like I said, I have no idea what actually went on at Turbine and with Feather specifically.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #36 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:54am
Print Post  

you're right.

fuck you

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #37 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Goodbye!

Smiley

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 1:29am
Print Post  

Turbine had to establish a Player Council to create a new firewall that the departure of FoS who became the buffer that separated the player's hatred for the direction of the game and the Dev's decisions about the direction of the game. FoS was just filling in the gap that was left open when had left.

So I see it as neither good nor bad but a lateral move for the game. Many of the problems with the game's direction wasn't coming from FoS. He just made himself a great target with the assholery line about being great at his job. And ghostbaning loot just became icy on a the cake.

Yobai wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51am:
I also didn't understand how the augments weren't fully implemented.  what else were they supposed to be able to do?

The augments were probably suppose to be the "new thing" that replaced the "old thing". History repeated itself because it was yet another system that was developed then left behind without updating or expanding. Look at the epic augments or the guild augment prior to FoS augment system as other examples of the new things that became the old things because nothing was truly done with those systems after they were created.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #39 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Congratulations on the career move.

I admire that you made a move when you realized the lead designer and you were never going to see eye to eye.

Big move across the country, sunny Cali fits your motif.

I echo some of the guys here, would be interested to hear what game you are part of when you can talk about it, or ready for release.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #40 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:17am
Print Post  
As you all saw, it eventually got to the point where I went into the office onto a weekend and added new treasure effects and items in myself. Those changes were unapproved, and much of it was pulled out the next week, though I think bits and pieces of it had been filtered back in by DocOct and Melange.

So epic level Sun's Fury prefixes dropping in L12 quests was your Easter egg from that weekend at Bernie's? Nice touch.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #41 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Well Feather, I have to acknowledge that you had principles and you stood by them.  You also had the courage to post here direct as soon as you were able.

I may not agree with some of the work you did, but you deserve some credit for those.  Based upon what you said, Turbine's confounding policy of "no comment" to anything kinda hung you out to dry by allowing you to take all the heat for ghostbane and several the other issues that you've been blamed for.  I wonder if Purple has the cojones to man up to his part?

Having done a similar thing (resigned from a good role because of fundamental disagreement with a boss), my only advice would be "no regrets".  Remember your time on DDO, but move forward.
Good luck in your future endeavours.

IP Logged

DragonsRus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Wish I could say I was ever in charge of it, but my title was Associate Designer- there was always someone else technically in charge, though I did most of the design and implementation for treasure in Updates 14 through 17.

The only projects I ever really owned were my own pet projects- things like augment system, different variants of loot on harder difficulties, and the revamped cosmetic system with equippable cosmetic items.

A big part of why I left was due to my frustration with the results of itemization in Update 19 and onward, and the fruitless results of my arguments with the lead designer over it.
Still, it put PurpleFooz (the lead designer) and I on edge with each-other. I had it when he told me that the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion wasn't supposed to be "endgame", since there would be another level cap increase in a year.
How can you release an "expansion" without endgame content or rewards?
I reached the point where the constant arguments weren't worth it, and I decided to look elsewhere.

I think DDO's senior designers are all good people and are on the right track now. With luck, you'll all enjoy what is coming in Update 21. Steel's raids are badass.

I doubt you'll be hearing any more from me. I'm on my way to California, and from there, will be fully invested in an upcoming online persistent world game. =)

Goodbye!

While there were some small things I didn't agree with you on. I do feel you had loot going the right direction when U17 came out and now reading this. I can see why loot went totally downhill and made this past year a total wasteland of the game. Kudos for letting us know and confirming that some higher up have no clue what the players want or even use in there game.

Have a great time at that new game and let us know when we come give our opinions on it.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #43 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Though it was interesting to read that he quit over the direction the game is heading.

I read it as leaving because he didn't have the ability to do what he wanted with the game, even on his own time. It sounds like he went in on weekends, made changes that he thought would be beneficial, but ended up wasting company time removing them because they were unauthorized. Good intentions without going through the proper channels.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #44 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Okay. Exactly what was Mr. Feather there supposed to have done?

Are we going to have a new bunch of feather_of_sun facts that we're gonna put up?

Example:

Feather_of_sun intimidated the kobolds in the Waterworks, and the kobolds kept sleeping.

Feather_of_sun wanted a barbarian with a ki bar. And he got one.

Feather_of_sun once joined a Fall of Truth raid. He bugged it by charming the Truthful One.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #45 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Well fuck - now I'm all confused. I still want to hate on FoS due to what happened on his watch - but now it seems like he was as much a victim of Turbine ineptitude as the players are. Sounds like things behind the scenes are even more screwed up then I thought they were - so no wonder the game is in a state of befuckedness.

I remain unconvinced you were in fact good at your job during your tenure at Turbine, FoS - but I do hope you find the opportunity to prove it at your next job. Happy trails, and best of luck with the new venture.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:40am by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

yamada_asemon
Korthos Resident

peace is a lie

Reply #46 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
still wanna know whats the new game?(please don't be pathfinder MMO) - i wonder does this mean we will not be seeing some of those prefixes and suffixes that we all so desperately want to come back? - 1k suns and lacerating and obscenity?
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:47am by yamada_asemon »  

House Thuranni - shadows for life
IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:50am
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:53pm:
Thank you for accepting that offer.

You made WP, EK and now divine crusader? No wonder WP and EK are fairly shit trees to invest too much in, and people are complaining about divine crusader.

WP and EK are shit.

But DC is like the new ED for Fire savants. What the fuck are people complaining about? The only real issue is the -3 HP thing.

Btw Feather, on the way out basically blaming PurpleFooz for every shit loot we had on Shadowfail (on the vault nonetheless) is a smart move. I still wanna say: fuck you.

The fact that you were in disagreement with someone and, because of that, even had to "add new treasure effects and items in myself [...] Those changes were unapproved" proves that you are, in fact, a shit Developer.

I'm glad you are gone for good.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #48 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Since we'll never know what actually happened, this is just a spin on the situation. We will never know if he got shitcanned for being awful, if he really did leave on his own terms or what. I'm going to just assume he got shitcanned for being awful.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #49 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
What if the new MMO is actually DDO2?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint