Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Did WB tell Turbine something??? (Read 17083 times)
Chris
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Did WB tell Turbine something???
Dec 19th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
So they've continued communication longer than I thought they would last.

Now double points  w/ottos.. w/ everything else already in effect:

Double(ish) Comms, hearts and Xp for Vip fanbois...

So did WB finally do something to turbine?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: Did WB tell Turbine something???
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
No, in the last 4 months they've probably lost 60% of their VIPs (based on people not playing anymore on Khyber who I know are VIPs, so this number is subject to wild variation, but it's definitely a big number).

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 9:56am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:02pm:
No, in the last 4 months they've probably lost 60% of their VIPs (based on people not playing anymore on Khyber who I know are VIPs, so this number is subject to wild variation, but it's definitely a big number).

Yeah, in my circle of gaming friends 2013 was definitely the year to move on too. I've got about 20 friends who used to play, and I don't think any still do. Some might occasionally, but they never post or talk about it anymore.

It's hard to guess at overall numbers because they broke the API server so the DDO Oracle can't provide recent data, but ShadowFail barely registered as an uptick.

And as bad as everybody says summer is in DDO, the September weekday logins per day were actually below early July weekday logins per day!

The mid July dropoff seems to correlate well with the widespread announcement that ShadowFail would not include a raid to balance the level cap increase and that it would wipe everybody's enhancements (bad news for both power gamers and casual players alike!), and they followed it up with lootgen problems and and that stellar decision on the Hearts of Wood. Oh, and Exreeeeme prejudice, which I think got a lot of people looking at other games while they or their friends had a "vacation".

So my guess is numbers are way down, and at this point they are afraid to turn the API server back on and let people see just how bad it is. But they know, and are starting to worry that maybe they pushed us too far this time.

But on the bright side, DDO was on the ropes before, and it drove them to innovate. They abandoned the conventional wisdom of subscription only. We got F2P and the game was greatly revitalized. Maybe they'll abandon the conventional wisdom of constantly changing rules to keep players interested, or the conventional wisdom that quality doesn't really matter.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:24am
Print Post  
i'm not sure I think F2P was ever good for this game. Look at AC/AC2 and how long that game has lasted, I imagine due in large part to people with subscritpions who just stick around. If DDO had taken care of it's subscribers, it could have lasted the same way for a long time.

Oh well, maybe this will just hasten a DDO2

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:32am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:24am:
I'm not sure I think F2P was ever good for this game.

LOL, yeah, that definitely depends on your definition of "good"!

I meant using dollars taken in as the primary metric, not longevity or quality, both of which are harder to measure and of less interest to a for-profit corporation.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:47am
Print Post  
You make the mistake of thinking WB gives even one single fuck about DDO.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:47am:

Probably this.

Like most parent companies, turbine would just view WB as a big bank.  And WB probably only expects turbine to deliver a certain income stream, and continue to payback funds previously appropriated over x amount of time.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:39pm by Residue »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:25pm
Print Post  

I figure the Turbine purchase was, for WB, like buying LOTRO as a 1992 Ford Taurus, and DDO was the beat-up leather jacket they found under its spare tire.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
DOOOOM!

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:25pm:
I figure the Turbine purchase was, for WB, like buying LOTRO as a 1992 Ford Taurus, and DDO was the beat-up leather jacket they found under its spare tire.

Definitely.

WB wanted the Middle Earth computer game license to consolidate it with all the other Middle Earth licences they already own. ( and have more weight when negociating big money with Saul Zaents )

DDO ( and AC ) were just siding on the plate. WB don't give a shit about DDO ( well not really they still look at the bottom line and as long as it's positive they leave it alone ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 6:07pm
Print Post  

they actually did give a fuck in 2008 during negotiations while selling the company to WB. DDO was specifically mentioned during a board meeting. Sadly, it was just a blurb about how turbine would be able to test platform the more radical changes before pushing them onto lotro. Did anyone care if DDO as a game was eliminated though? Not as long as turbine had a test platform for lotro...

Post sale I cannot say. Probably just a minor revenue stream, that will be closed down the very second it is not profitable. So to all those dumbfucks that like to say "gtfo" or "find another game", I say find another credit card to finance those that leave.

IP Logged

swampshape
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I know nothing about LOTRO. Why is it so much bigger, more popular and (presumably) more profitable than DDO? Is the game really good, or is it that middle earth is a more popular setting/game basis  so you start with a (much) larger potential player pool than the much more niche D&D player pool.

Or is it something else entirely?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
swampshape wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 7:36pm:
I know nothing about LOTRO. Why is it so much bigger, more popular and (presumably) more profitable than DDO? Is the game really good, or is it that middle earth is a more popular setting/game basis  so you start with a (much) larger potential player pool than the much more niche D&D player pool.

I think LotR has a bigger following than D&D. Just the movie franchise alone is largely responsible for its fame.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Moose
Korthos Resident

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Time to make a D&D movie then?

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Moose wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:31pm:
Time to make a D&D movie then?

Cause the first few weren't bad enough?

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 9:56am:
Yeah, in my circle of gaming friends 2013 was definitely the year to move on too. I've got about 20 friends who used to play, and I don't think any still do. Some might occasionally, but they never post or talk about it anymore.

It's hard to guess at overall numbers because they broke the API server so the DDO Oracle can't provide recent data, but ShadowFail barely registered as an uptick.

And as bad as everybody says summer is in DDO, the September weekday logins per day were actually below early July weekday logins per day!

The mid July dropoff seems to correlate well with the widespread announcement that ShadowFail would not include a raid to balance the level cap increase and that it would wipe everybody's enhancements (bad news for both power gamers and casual players alike!), and they followed it up with lootgen problems and and that stellar decision on the Hearts of Wood. Oh, and Exreeeeme prejudice, which I think got a lot of people looking at other games while they or their friends had a "vacation".

So my guess is numbers are way down, and at this point they are afraid to turn the API server back on and let people see just how bad it is. But they know, and are starting to worry that maybe they pushed us too far this time.

But on the bright side, DDO was on the ropes before, and it drove them to innovate. They abandoned the conventional wisdom of subscription only. We got F2P and the game was greatly revitalized. Maybe they'll abandon the conventional wisdom of constantly changing rules to keep players interested, or the conventional wisdom that quality doesn't really matter.

Nah your wrong!!! This game just keeps going from strength to strength!!! You are playing it wrong thats why it appears there are less people playing, or your memory  is faulty.

And if there is any drop off in numbers its because of things that cannot be helped you know because the game is old, old engine, old graphics people get bored and move on. Not in the slightest does it have to do with the recent changes or actions of the dev team and others at turbine!!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:54pm by NaturalHazard »  

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 7:50pm
Print Post  

From my limited experience of LOTRO, it is as close to LOTR as Neverwinter is close to D&D. So basically, just a WoW clone that says "we have hobbits!".
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2013 at 7:50pm by Illetirated »  

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  

LOTR movies where block busters...................D&D movies............wait there was D&D movies?......hey son your into D&D im going to watch some D&D movies to see what its all about............................er don't watch those!!!!

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
and tolkien is like the grandfather sort of for the genre? I know he borrowed heavily off norse and celtic myths and legends but don't a lot of creators now, and they all do the dwarf/elf thing, well most of them.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:41pm:
Cause the first few weren't bad enough?

The second one was ok. The first one, however, hoo boy.  Roll Eyes

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Nice doom.
None of it at all accurate, but nice doom. We had a very good year.
Recent communication is because of leadership change, nothing to do with WB.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 1:22am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:36am:
We had a very good year.

Gonna have to disagree with you about this.

When Rowan states that the three critical hits are Enhancements, Stormhorn and Epic Reincarnation and the players disagree, then it wasn't a very good year.

Enhancements are unfinished since many classes are still missing three trees. There was no new racial prestige classes added. The core abilities and capstones lost power so small splashes utterly destroy pure classes. The monk splash went from being very handy for the evasion to essential to play Epic Elite. There is something very wrong with Enhancements.

Stormhorn is pretty. Getting to two of the quests in Stormhorn is worse than Chain of Flames, since it's more windy that an analog clock. The non-p2p teleport helps a little, but the run still sucks donkey balls. And the p2p teleport is full on jizz dripping Tijuana donkey dick.

Epic Reincarnation sucks in a multitude of ways. The ComValor pay out is too little while the Heart cost is too high. Many of the bonuses suck for the classes that should get the most benefit, like the total of 27 PRR for tanks do squat shit but monkey monks and casters get enormous benefits from it. And this doesn't even get into the epic fail of the Iconic Reincarnation, as the Sun Elf past life gives benefits to a total of two classes. Hot Fucking fudge sundae up my ass with a coconut! TWO FUCKING CLASSES! Really makes people want to run those bastards, right?

And let's not forget that the quests and packs that came out this year all blow more than the entire employee roster of Vivid Entertainment, including past and present. Hell, if it wasn't for making Epic Gianthold, the quality of quests would suck and those were rehashed fucking quests that everyone runs anyway.

It might have been a good year for Turbine, but the playerbase currently is applying ointment on their rectum because they got rode hard and long without any lube. Pass the word to QuartermasterX that a coupon for free inflatable donuts are needed for players before the New Year. Thank you.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 8:42am
Print Post  
We had a very good year.

either your a delusional fuck or ddo store sales pushed revenue to all time highs. While I like saying that phrase(its catchy) I am leaning towards store sales. Some of the recent items combined with changes in game mechanics are genius plays that would make steve wynn proud.

Sadly, multiple hamsters wheels within wheels with no end game has either chased most of my ddo pals away or turned them to the dark side of exploiting. Maj, you really need to do something about duping already(its been years). Its just an issue with how the character data is saved and how other containers(shared bank et al) are saved to the database.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #23 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 1:22am:
Gonna have to disagree with you about this.

When Rowan states that the three critical hits are Enhancements, Stormhorn and Epic Reincarnation and the players disagree, then it wasn't a very good year.

Enhancements are unfinished since many classes are still missing three trees. There was no new racial prestige classes added. The core abilities and capstones lost power so small splashes utterly destroy pure classes. The monk splash went from being very handy for the evasion to essential to play Epic Elite. There is something very wrong with Enhancements.

Stormhorn is pretty. Getting to two of the quests in Stormhorn is worse than Chain of Flames, since it's more windy that an analog clock. The non-p2p teleport helps a little, but the run still sucks donkey balls. And the p2p teleport is full on jizz dripping Tijuana donkey dick.

Epic Reincarnation sucks in a multitude of ways. The ComValor pay out is too little while the Heart cost is too high. Many of the bonuses suck for the classes that should get the most benefit, like the total of 27 PRR for tanks do squat shit but monkey monks and casters get enormous benefits from it. And this doesn't even get into the epic fail of the Iconic Reincarnation, as the Sun Elf past life gives benefits to a total of two classes. Hot Fucking fudge sundae up my ass with a coconut! TWO FUCKING CLASSES! Really makes people want to run those bastards, right?

And let's not forget that the quests and packs that came out this year all blow more than the entire employee roster of Vivid Entertainment, including past and present. Hell, if it wasn't for making Epic Gianthold, the quality of quests would suck and those were rehashed fucking quests that everyone runs anyway.

It might have been a good year for Turbine, but the playerbase currently is applying ointment on their rectum because they got rode hard and long without any lube. Pass the word to QuartermasterX that a coupon for free inflatable donuts are needed for players before the New Year. Thank you.

Nice summary. Can even add several more. So many bugs after so many years. Oh and the Shadowfail. Such a waste of money. No new end game items to match the lvl cap. Lootgen making so many old EE items obsolete. Etc.

For what it is worth, I am happy with the start of communication. But to accept it as a success, I will wait for the results. For now there is some correspondence between staff and player base for new ideas and comments. But we need to see what the staff understand these and if they make good use of them. I hope they are not only listening just to look like listening. Applause is reserved until I see actions.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #24 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:15am
Print Post  
We had a very good year.

No. No we really didn't.

I'm hopeful for the future with the leadership change (probably just Lucy setting up the football again - but hey,  I'm a sucker for optimism), but what is in the rearview mirror for 2013... yeah, not a whole lot of shining moments.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint