Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Let's Talk about 2013 (Read 3398 times)
OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Let's Talk about 2013
Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:36am:
... We had a very good year.
Recent communication is because of leadership change, nothing to do with WB.

2013 felt to me the same as previous years - there wasn't anything noteworthy about it, except perhaps for Feather of Sun rubbing his ass all over the place and the text book example of how to not upgrade an internet forum (seriously - that was undefendably shitty and you should STILL be ashamed of it).

Some nice things were added to the game, much of which was turbined within 6 months.  Lots of bugs that were reported in the preview server pushed live.  A couple exploits were made public, some of them fixed.

If this is a "very good year", I'll bet all years are "very good" ones.

What made it very good?

Was it because the domain name got renewed before it expired?

Here's a partial recap of the updates from 2013.

2013 started with Epic Gianthold (U17 February).
  • Existing pack, quests, maps, mobs, trap placements made Epic.
  • A new raid with new loot (and a lot of extant loot made "epic") and great DM narration.
  • Generally well received.

U18 (Disciples of Shadow) in May.
  • Bladeforged
  • Skill Tomes
  • changes to cosmetic armor and hat mechanism (Thank you for breaking ShowHelmet).
  • Two F2P quests (Yay!  Subscribers get MORE content!)

U19 ShadowFail and Enhancement Pass in August.

Shadowfail introduced as an "expansion" which is code for "Subscribers, you're going to feel a slight pressure. Pay for access to two new adventure packs and new Iconic races, just like everyone else." 

Enhancement Pass.  Changed the UI for enhancements (good!).  Also changed many enhancements and prestige pre-requisites.  No new racial prestiges, most classes without "complete" prestiges.  All characters must respec. 

• Chest Re-Roll, with Chest Re-Roll button conveniently placed where it's super easy to click!  Awesomium!
  • Daily Dice upgraded to no longer drop Astral Shards.
  • Sagas!  Best Invested Developer Time Ever.
  • Daily bonus XP for first time quest completion
  • Level Cap increased to 28! 
  • Lesser Re-inc still baffled by triple class characters.
  • New Harbor layout (Exactly what was the value proposition for this?  Seriously - nothing was added and new players continue to ask where things are with the added benefit that the existing player base directed them to the old locations)
  • Spellcraft skill!
  • DUP-a-Palooza! and EXTREME PREJUDICE
  • Occupy Stormreach reveals the extent to which Turbine is powered by its fans

U20 - Critical Return (November 12)
  • Two F2P quests - this is code for "Additional content available to subscribers for Free!"
  • A new prestige for arcanes (Eldritch Knight). Varg really hit the bull's eye with this one!  It's proven to be very well received by players of all skill levels and addresses the many public discussions requesting something similar.
  • New Reincarnation with New and Improved currency, absurd cost, and questionable PL rewards.
  • New XP!  New XP/Level, New total XP for TR lives, New Quest XP!
  • NEW store items (Otto's boxes)
  • More fiddling with Sagas!
  • New Secret Door Mechanism developed by someone with one foot out the door!

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

The Manager
Korthos Resident

I love tasty ass crakers!

Re: Let's Talk about 2013
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Well for me the best thing in that happened in DDO during 2013 is without a doubt the DUP-a-Palooza.

Highlights:

● Made 10,000 units of each Cannith Challenges ingredients to be sure I don't lose 1 sec of my life in those for the rest of my DDO-time ever (read: now that the XP sucks in them...)

● Only made 5 extra Globe of True Imperial Blood for my 'serious' toons

● Made around 100's Medium Eberron Dragonshard to build a nice stack of Major Experience Elixir (20% bonus to XP for 6 hours). I had never seen so much people in House Deneith around the NPC Tara Wightraven. Good times.

● Had a chance to have a toon with the magic "3" in green bag for Commendation of Heroism. Guess what happened ? This toon doesn't care about CoH for life!!!

● Took like 30 mins to upgrade my Craftbot for Cannith Crafting that was aournd LVL75. It is now LVL150 in each school (when you have unlimited supply of Greater Essence...)

Also made various stuff that I don't wanna lose time typing them here.

It was also exciting times doing that! Best time in DDO ever!

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
You should really be fair about that quote.

He works for the company, what is he supposed to say? We had a mediocre year? Sure it's the truth, but if he wants to keep his job he needs to not bad mouth the company behind its back on a forum that isn't allowed to be mentioned on the main forums.

My fave things of the year: U17 was really fun, epic GH is awesome.

Enhancement pass is really cool.

If you lower the grind for eTR and make the rewards mayhaps a bit better eTR is awesome.

Iconics are pretty sweet for if you get sick of low levels on your way to completionist.

The storm horns explorer area is really nice, and the quests are okay.

What I didn't like:
The prison adventure pack.....just yuck

Wheloon prison explorer area: oh I want migraines? YAY PURPLE!

Random loot gen rape by Feather of Suck.

TWO updates with only TWO quests each? Gee whiz, that is quite awful.....more content needs to be released.

Level 28 cap, I really hated this.....it felt like an unnecessary bump up that just gave the game fewer end game raids....

Over all, if turbine releases more content, fixes loot gen (put back convalescent of superior parrying as a rare drop), and fixes bugs, I will be happy.

For now I'll go back to playing battlefield 4 and maybe leveling my sorc....

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I'll discuss more tonight, but a quick addition:

Adjust launcher to permit convenient multiboxing. If only it fixed failed first login too.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
The Manager wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:14pm:
Well for me the best thing in that happened in DDO during 2013 is without a doubt the DUP-a-Palooza

EGH was cooler, but this was better than Shadowfail.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
The Manager wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:14pm:
Well for me the best thing in that happened in DDO during 2013 is without a doubt the DUP-a-Palooza.

Highlights:

● Made 10,000 units of each Cannith Challenges ingredients to be sure I don't lose 1 sec of my life in those for the rest of my DDO-time ever (read: now that the XP sucks in them...)

● Only made 5 extra Globe of True Imperial Blood for my 'serious' toons

● Made around 100's Medium Eberron Dragonshard to build a nice stack of Major Experience Elixir (20% bonus to XP for 6 hours). I had never seen so much people in House Deneith around the NPC Tara Wightraven. Good times.

● Had a chance to have a toon with the magic "3" in green bag for Commendation of Heroism. Guess what happened ? This toon doesn't care about CoH for life!!!

● Took like 30 mins to upgrade my Craftbot for Cannith Crafting that was aournd LVL75. It is now LVL150 in each school (when you have unlimited supply of Greater Essence...)

Also made various stuff that I don't wanna lose time typing them here.

It was also exciting times doing that! Best time in DDO ever!

To add to this. It was the only time I'd ever seen the player base get so together and share everything. It was like a community christmas where everyone was each other's secret santa. "Oh you need xyz? No problem I'll mail you 100."

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

exploytoften
Waterworks Kobold

Can i haz yer stuffz?

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Much of the new contest was good, new enhancements were great just need to fix some that are broken (such as sorc wand and scroll mastery), primarily what they need to focus on now is clearing up the goddam fucking "lLAG"

My motto is: exploit early, exploit often
YIM  
IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:35pm:
2013 started with Epic Gianthold (U17 February).
  • Existing pack, quests, maps, mobs, trap placements made Epic.

You do realise that gh was epic in 09-10 and was on the live servers for a short period. While the current dev team did do the loot and dialogue changes, the real work was done back when they had a competent team. every pack released prior to the assault on stormreach was designed and finished with the old dev team.

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
exploytoften wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:00pm:
..... primarily what they need to focus on now is clearing up the goddam fucking "lLAG"

I won't argue with you here, totally agree.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's trying to jump and getting the "psyche fake jump" about 1/4 of the time.  Makes kiting a pain when the hands go up but I don't jump.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Even though it ruined the economy for many including myself, (i had 25 green and 75 red scales and tons of large mats and other valued shit..) when duping was around.. it was like the funnest minigame ever..lol.. loved it

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:33pm:
You do realise that gh was epic in 09-10 and was on the live servers for a short period. While the current dev team did do the loot and dialogue changes, the real work was done back when they had a competent team.

I certainly do.

It's no secret that Epic Gianthold was ready to go for a long time prior to it's release.

Rubbinns wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:28pm:
To add to this. It was the only time I'd ever seen the player base get so together and share everything. It was like a community christmas where everyone was each other's secret santa. "Oh you need xyz? No problem I'll mail you 100."

Last year's Bag-a-Palooza (place BTA/BTC item in green bag, trade green bag to your friend) was similar.  Things were traded very freely and pleasantly! Many people finally got their epic Chaosblades, RoSSs, etc. then.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

The Manager
Korthos Resident

I love tasty ass crakers!

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:24pm:
Last year's Bag-a-Palooza (place BTA/BTC item in green bag, trade green bag to your friend) was similar.  Things were traded very freely and pleasantly! Many people finally got their epic Chaosblades, RoSSs, etc. then.

I was too scared of getting caught and banned to exploit the BAG-a-Palooza... So I skipped on a lot of good stuff by being a little Paladin. FML.

This year when I saw the DUP-a-Palooza I said to myself - fuck this.. I'm going in!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint