Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Arcane Augmentation (Read 5987 times)
Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Arcane Augmentation
Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I've seen/heard multiple assurances that Arcane Augmentation, now listed in the wiki as Spell Augmentation, only works on wizard and sorcerer spells, or on other classes casting spells that are also wizard or sorcerer spells.

These people who are always generous with their opinions, and are never wrong insist that it doesn't work on other spells. 

So, I need to double check that I'm interpreting what I see correctly and ask, if what I think think I'm seeing is what I am actually seeing, if this is WAI. As I already know exactly what kind of response I'll get at the mother boards, I figure I might as well double-check here.

When I cast a spell, any arcane spell, but particularly non-wiz/sorc spells while not wearing a spell augmentation item, the combat log does not tell me at what caster level I am casting a spell.   <--- this is, I assume, WAI. There's nothing special to report, so it reports nothing extra.

When on that same character, who is level 20, I equip an Arcane Augmentation IX item with no other changes and cast an arcane non-wiz/sorc spell, the combat log reports something like "You begin to cast said spell at level 22."

As the only change was equipping the augmentation item, I have to assume that this is the effect of the item.  Right?

So... is this WAI?  Or is this borderline fight club?

Is this only working because my character is technically "arcane"?

That arcane augmentation item is BTC, so I'm thinking of getting a Robe of Duality and testing it out on a druid and a FvS.

Thing is, it might just save me some time if anyone here can just tell me what's going on.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Arcane Augmentation
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Any spell that another class can cast that is contained in the wizard/sorc spell repertoire gets boosted by spell augmentation.  For instance Nightshield.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:28am:
When on that same character, who is level 20, I equip an Arcane Augmentation IX item with no other changes and cast an arcane non-wiz/sorc spell, the combat log reports something like "You begin to cast said spell at level 22."

rest wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:30am:
Any spell that another class can cast that is contained in the wizard/sorc spell repertoire gets boosted by spell augmentation.  For instance Nightshield.

I know you can't trust that I'm not an idiot or have any clue what I'm talking about, but prismatic strike and tactical detonation are not in the spell books of either sorcerers or wizards. 

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:16am
Print Post  
But artificers are considered arcane casters, are they not?
They suffer from arcane spell failure, yeah?
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:20am by rest »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 2:09am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:16am:
But artificers are considered arcane casters, are they not?
They suffer from arcane spell failure, yeah?

Yes

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Yes and no.  They only suffer from ASF when casting from wands and scrolls using UMD.  Anything from their own spellbook is not subject to ASF.  
- actually, I don't know if they take the heavy armor feat and wear heavy armor, I don't know if they get ASF from artificer spells at that point.

Artificers are arcane, they use arcane reagents, but they only share one offensive spell with wizards and sorcerers, lightning bolt, which they can get added to their spellbooks through the arcantechnician enhancement tree.

Thing is, the wiki, and everything I've seen posted says that arcane augmentation only works for wizards, sorcerers and for characters natively casting spells that specifically come from the wiz/sorc spellbook.  I've even seen some people get pretty rude about this...

And yet, it seems to be counter to my recent experience.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014 at 3:05am by Werebadger »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 5:04am
Print Post  
I can tell you that my FvS who has a twilight doesn't get extra caster levels to her blade barriers or cometfall.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 5:04am:
I can tell you that my FvS who has a twilight doesn't get extra caster levels to her blade barriers or cometfall.

How do you know?  Did you have to measure the minimum/maximum damage from those spells and calculate the spell level from that or is there a specific way to look at your caster level for spells that you cast? 

I'd very much like to see that for a variety of the spells that I cast so that I can figure out what caster level is worth actually having in my final life breakdown.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:26pm:
How do you know?  Did you have to measure the minimum/maximum damage from those spells and calculate the spell level from that or is there a specific way to look at your caster level for spells that you cast? 

I'd very much like to see that for a variety of the spells that I cast so that I can figure out what caster level is worth actually having in my final life breakdown.

Simple math gives you that answer.

How many extra (X) dice of damage does a caster level give (assuming you are not at damage cap for the spell):
The total extra damage(Z) is then, for a typical d6 damage spell)

X(d3+3)*(1+Spellpower/100) = average extra damage for the spell in question.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Also Jesus its not like the wiki can be wrong.

Arcane augmentation only works on spells that can be found in the spell book of arcane casters.  Yes this means it overlaps and works on a few divine spells as they are also arcane.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:47pm:
Simple math gives you that answer.

How many extra (X) dice of damage does a caster level give (assuming you are not at damage cap for the spell):
The total extra damage(Z) is then, for a typical d6 damage spell)

X(d3+3)*(1+Spellpower/100) = average extra damage for the spell in question.

I wasn't so much looking at how to calculate what the spell damage should be as I was trying to figure out what caster level Turbine would actually use for casting spells because there were so many problems with max caster level for so long and because so many spells have their caster level capped.

IP Logged

Klozzer
Waterworks Kobold

OMGZ! Time!

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
damn i hate math  Grin

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  

Because they don't cast at a higher level. My nightshield does.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 10:34pm
Print Post  

In my case, the combat log states what level I'm casting at, if it is above my current level.

I still have to try things out on other classes.  And I will, when it feels like fun.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The way spells are classified in DDO are arbitrarily silly.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
It turns out that Blade Barrier is not subject to Arcane Augmentation, while it seems all the others are.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Yeah, because its considered a divine spell since it appeared in the divine spell book long before artis were around.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:17am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:15am:
Yeah, because its considered a divine spell since it appeared in the divine spell book long before artis were around.

But, otherwise, artificer spells are arcane enough for arcane augmentation. 

I have to double check, cause it might be the ADHD - or the brain rot - so I'm not entirely sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think it also worked for the SLAs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint