Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need some Forgotten Realms info for campaign... (Read 340 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Need some Forgotten Realms info for campaign...
Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I used to be pretty up on things like FR's dates and pantheon but recent changes have put a lot of that information in flux.

First question: Does anyone know what dates the D&D Next adventure Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle takes place during? I'm assuming sometime around the timeframe of the first Sundering book The Companions but would love an exact date if it's been released. I want to keep as close to canon as possible.

Second question: As far as I know there isn't a FR deity in that time frame that is primarily concerned with undeath. The Companions takes place in 1462-1484DR while Velsharoon died in 1425DR. Shar has Undeath as a domain but it's not even listed in her portfolio indicating that it was in Velsharoon's portfolio. That's in keeping with some of the material during the Time of Troubles and its aftermath that stated Ao would only allow one god to count each area of worship in his portfolio. Finally there is Kiaransalee, but she's a lesser deity specific to the Drow and the racial gods portfolios don't usually matter to Ao. Am I missing any players here or does it seem like the slot for a major god/goddess with undeath in their portfolio is open since the death of Velsharoon?

Third question: What other FR's gods still in play during this time-frame would be interested in adding Undeath to their portfolio?

Just to explain, I had one character I was DM'ing that wanted to be a skeletal paladin. Obviously this is problematic in any number of ways but I circumvented that by having Kossuth 'animate' the bones and spirit of one of Lathander's paladins to help stop the plans detailed in the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (don't want to put spoilers here for people playing but suffice it to say that Lathander and Kossuth both would have an interest in stopping what the PC's in the adventure are trying to stop).

I added another player to the game last night and that player had as part of their character's back story that they have a book that purportedly can 'eliminate all undead from Toril'. After hearing this everything clicked into place for me. Kossuth is definitely playing it straight with Lathander - he wants to stop the same thing the PC's are trying to stop in the adventure - but he also is aware of the vacancy in the undead portfolio and wants to rise in prominence among the pantheon by taking over that title and remaking undead into a neutral form of eternal life granted those with a spirit befitting it - those that 'burn brightest' in the following of their gods. He would basically rewrite the rules of undeath if he achieved this end and destroy all the existing undead, remaking a new undeath in his fiery image. Shar is obviously going to be scheming to take on the role and Kiaransalee may want to step beyond status as a minor deity as well and take on the mantle of undeath for all Toril.

I've decided that the book came into being during the destruction of Velsharoon and contains within it the secrets necessary to claim the portfolio of undeath. No one (even the gods mentioned) is aware of this fact yet but depending on how far we progress that could become apparent. I'm also using this opportunity to play fast and loose with the rules of undead seeing as how several gods are creating undead now - each with its own properties.

Going on a bit long here so I'll stop there for now. Going to be an interesting campaign. Smiley

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: Need some Forgotten Realms info for campaign...
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Not sure about undeath portfolio but I'd guess Umberlee is going to have something to say about it.

BTW...before the Sundering, Lathander revealed himself to actually be Amaunator. It was long suspected before that though.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:34pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Cyric's mad as a sack of shit and is a pretty good candidate for stealing any portfolios, as I recall from my very very meagre knowledge of FR.
Can't say that Kelemvor would be too happy about it, equally a motivation for Cyric though.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:59pm:
Cyric's mad as a sack of shit and is a pretty good candidate for stealing any portfolios, as I recall from my very very meagre knowledge of FR.
Can't say that Kelemvor would be too happy about it, equally a motivation for Cyric though.

Yeah, I was also considering tossing Kelemvor into the mix - I know he already got his knuckles rapped by Ao for being too nice about the faithless and their end so having the opportunity to allow the faithless to earn a better ending through undeath would be attractive to him. Cyric...yeah, he's always good as a bad guy. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:50pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:33pm:
Not sure about undeath portfolio but I'd guess Umberlee is going to have something to say about it.

BTW...before the Sundering, Lathander revealed himself to actually be Amaunator. It was long suspected before that though.

Yeah, I went with Lathander as the name as some of the characters in the story died before the Sundering (and were brought back) and still view Amaunator as Lathander specifically though they're one in the same.

I really like Umberlee getting involved too...lots of bloated undead zombies animated by the sea water contained within them combined with evil magic. Smiley

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
And basically my thinking is that the gods tend to ossify over time. They have their way of looking at the world and tend not to change quickly. Even they gradually evolve and scheme though and 60-70 years out from Velsharoon's death they've started to realize that without Velsharoon overseeing undeath the rules of undeath have started to unravel. Undead that already exist still exist but necromantic magic is starting to become unreliable - especially on the divine end of things.

At the same time, new necromantic magic is becoming available as some of the gods expand their reach and make their own attempts at remaking undeath in their image. Kossuth's already done so once at least (that's one of the PC's in our story), I'm really liking Umberlee for getting involved as the PC's are along the Sword Coast in Daggerford right now (tons of opportunities for water-based zombies), I'd love to get the Drow involved as well. I'm leaning toward Selune (goddess followed by the PC in the story) or some other good deity wanting to end undeath altogether as well.

Ultimately I think I'd prefer to have things maintain the status quo long-term and have someone like Kiaransalee ascend in importance (very helpful in sticking with likely lore too since FR's writers love the Drow) but it really opens up a lot of opportunities for intrigue and interesting stories in the decades or centuries that the struggle for supremacy goes on.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:46pm:
Yeah, I was also considering tossing Kelemvor into the mix - I know he already got his knuckles rapped by Ao for being too nice about the faithless and their end so having the opportunity to allow the faithless to earn a better ending through undeath would be attractive to him. Cyric...yeah, he's always good as a bad guy. Smiley

No no no, you've partly got the wrong end of the stick there. Kelemvor hates undead, so I recall, and pretty sure him and Cyric could have some residual bad feelings between each other.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 2:33pm:
No no no, you've partly got the wrong end of the stick there. Kelemvor hates undead, so I recall, and pretty sure him and Cyric could have some residual bad feelings between each other.

Kelemvor hates undead as they are but I wonder if he'd be willing to use 'undeath' as an out to allow the faithless a second chance to avoid the Fugue Plane given his earlier attempts at a kinder and gentler afterlife for faithless that were noble in life got quashed by Ao. Maybe not but in that case he might actually be in the running to lay claim to the portfolio of 'undeath' just to eliminate it altogether. He'd certainly have an interest one way or the other and Cyric would definitely do something if just to poke a stick in his eye whether or not Kelemvor becomes personally interested. Smiley

Also, another realms question. The Shadowfell seems to have replaced the Negative Energy Plane as the locus of negative energy within the planescape since the Negative Energy Plane has collapsed into the Elemental Chaos. It sounds like it still exists but has been subsumed into the Elemental Chaos and is thus likely to be easily effected by those elements and changed. Am I understanding their cosmology correctly there? If so it seems like Kossuth, who holds sway there as the most powerful of the primordials, would be even more likely to be the first to sense and experiment with the instability in undeath and negative energy in general.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Y'all just reminded me why I loved Forgotten Realms, *sniff!

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
It's really an amazing set of recent history and cosmology! I just hope that the authors they have signed on to move things forward are up to the task.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I didn't even buy any 4th ed realms books.  I couldn't even begin to fit my campaigns back into it.  Yeah, I don't even know what is going on here lol

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:52pm:
I didn't even buy any 4th ed realms books.  I couldn't even begin to fit my campaigns back into it.  Yeah, I don't even know what is going on here lol

That's really me before I read The Companions and posted this thread but the wiki is really good...it's giving me a fighting chance.

On the story the characters captured an Umberlee zombie and brought it back to study it. The cleric understands how to turn them now and they know for certain that they're a new type of undead but that's it at the moment.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 9:06am:
The Companions

Isn't that another crappy Drizzt book?

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:53am:
Isn't that another crappy Drizzt book?

Sort of. It's the best Drizzt book ever though in that he's in the first chapter and the last one and completely absent the rest of the book.  Grin

EDIT: And yes, I've read them all. I really enjoyed them for awhile but Drizzt seemed to get whinier and preachier every book until I was just hoping he'd die already - would have been a mercy killing tbh.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2014 at 4:53pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Salvatore can describe a fight better than anyone else.  But I swear, before he touches a type writer he needs to get laid.  The whambulance picks him up and drives him to the boohoo hole where he has a picnic with whine and cheese when he starts to write anything else.

He was 'removed' from my campaign world with a Power Word Kill.  I was running a "legends" game where for the evening; everyone picked their 'fave' character from the Realms and ran them in a mini-campaign.  The player that picked Szass Tam waited for the player of Drizzt to get beat down a bit, PWK'd him, grabbed his body and teleported back to Thay, fed him to the throne, and teleported back.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 4:52pm:
Sort of. It's the best Drizzt book ever though in that he's in the first chapter and the last one and completely absent the rest of the book.  Grin

EDIT: And yes, I've read them all. I really enjoyed them for awhile but Drizzt seemed to get whinier and preachier every book until I was just hoping he'd die already - would have been a mercy killing tbh.

I read the series because it's like a rule that you have to.  Elminster got me more than Drizzt.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 5:58pm:
The player that picked Szass Tam waited for the player of Drizzt to get beat down a bit, PWK'd him, grabbed his body and teleported back to Thay, fed him to the throne, and teleported back.

If only it was possible to do that to DDO players with a) any combination of the letters D, i, r, t, and z in their name, or b) anyone who spells their char name with more than one x.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:54pm by Dullknife »  

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:54pm:
If only it was possible to do that to DDO players with a) any combination of the letters D, i, r, t, and z in their name, or b) anyone who spells their char name with more than one x.

Coulda sworn there was an old thread here about that subject, but I can't find it now.  Seems to be a running sentiment.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:33am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:43pm:
I read the series because it's like a rule that you have to.  Elminster got me more than Drizzt.

I like Ed's writing more than Salvatore.  I really liked Troy Denning's Archwizards Trilogy.  I need to go back and read the Avatar trilogy where Cyric was introduced for giggles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint