Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic maj, maint mode starting early? (Read 5933 times)
mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

maj, maint mode starting early?
Jan 9th, 2014 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Maj, I know ya'll have dev work for the rest of 2014(sadly thats the end though), but have ya'll put the kabosh on hardware budget already?

Do ya'll need help migrating software from one machine to another? Perhaps need help diagnosing a hardware issue and filling out a purchase order? More likely ya'll need help firing a terrible liar and useless community liason...

cordovan speak
"There is a hardware-related problem on the machine the API sits on, so it may be some time before we can address the API. Sorry for the inconvenience during this time. I am hoping to see a return of the API in the future."

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/433894-Petition-Turbine-Bring-back-API...

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Re: maj, maint mode starting early?
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 9th, 2014 at 6:37pm:
More likely ya'll need help firing a terrible liar and useless community liason...

You can't be any good at #2 without at least a little bit of ability at #1. Purposeful vagueness doesn't count either.. "a hardware-related problem" could mean anything up to and including "Edward Snowden sold our drives to wikileaks"
Grin

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
That is in another dept. Out of my realm. We have IC coming up soon, and I'm not going to bug a single person on that side of the building for months. There is a bunch of wants I have, but I can wait a while.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:31pm:
That is in another dept. Out of my realm. We have IC coming up soon, and I'm not going to bug a single person on that side of the building for months. There is a bunch of wants I have, but I can wait a while.

IC? Not ringing a bell...Any news your able or willing 2 share with us? :\ Thanks!

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
IC = Infinite Crisis

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:05pm:
IC = Infinite Crisis

Oh, ffs! Thank you sir! Smiley!

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
With Warner Bros it is ALL about Batman. 

When Warner Bros has a movie that grosses over $1,000,000,000 they think the game will to.  They will learn, but until then, the muckity mucks only know one word, "Batman."

It will be interesting to see the fallout of a fail.  If it happens.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
We have IC coming up soon, and I'm not going to bug a single person on that side of the building for months.

How about some free accounts for us vaulties?  Shocked

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 8:56am
Print Post  
I grant all vaulties a free account. So shut up and quit begging.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:38am
Print Post  
We have IC coming up soon, and I'm not going to bug a single person on that side of the building for months.

Boy, what timing - DDO is going to be love-starved from now to late 2014, with Pathfinder Online going into the Early Enrollment phase in Q3? PO may not be direct competition for IC, but as an essentially 3.5e D&D game (with more than 8 bit graphics!), they certainly are for DDO. And they have a huge head start over Turbine on communicating with players and incorporating player feedback into the game. At least they are capping enrollment, that should limit the drain on the playerbase.

Hopefully management will at least work extra hard at avoiding decisions like Ghostbane, Sagas for hearts, etc. for the next couple of quarters?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:38am:
At least they are capping enrollment, that should limit the drain on the playerbase.

Full on PvP centric game play with the only consequences for grieffing being player centric will most likely keep the drain on the playerbase much higher.

The fact that they are not using D20 rules but systems designed for an MMO means that it won't really scratch that itch for "D&D" most players have. 

I doubt very much that Shadowbane v.2 - er Pathfinder Online is going to make much of a difference to DDO - with possibly the exception of the people who love to camp in the lobster.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:40am:
Full on PvP centric game play with the only consequences for grieffing being player centric will most likely keep the drain on the playerbase much higher.

True, the non-consentual PvP, and the fact that it's subscription only, will keep many casual and/or family oriented players (myself included) from giving the game serious consideration. It's expensive enough buying adventure packs and expansion packs in multiples of 5 to keep my whole family playing, I don't need a $70 a month gaming habit for a subscription only game. And I wouldn't want to deal with an upset kid who was adventuring with Dad and got killed by some jerk.

But I think there are enough people in DDO who enjoy the personal competition and who have only themselves to pay for that Pathfinder could be attractive to a sizable subset of the DDO population.

And to be fair, Goblinworks has put a lot of thought and effort into making griefers suffer for being jerks. The death curse, bounties, NPC guards, etc. And they've said that if you are willing to settle for a lower reward rate, you can do your adventuring within lawful areas and run much less risk of attack by players.

Also, it's not like DDO doesn't have plenty of greifers. No game is going to be free of them, the big question is how effective Goblinworks' controls are.

Ckorik wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:40am:
The fact that they are not using D20 rules but systems designed for an MMO means that it won't really scratch that itch for "D&D" most players have. 

LOL, that's pretty funny in a DDO forum, it's been a long time since DDO could claim more than "Inspired by the popular D20 system". DDO is like D&D (real D&D, not the 4.0e stuff) in that it rewards long term planning and an understanding of complex interactions, but it looks like Pathfinder Online is going to have that too.

So, yeah, Pathfinder Online isn't going to be a DDO Killer, but it's a good reason for Turbine to try extra hard not to have another 2013.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:12pm:
LOL, that's pretty funny in a DDO forum, it's been a long time since DDO could claim more than "Inspired by the popular D20 system". DDO is like D&D (real D&D, not the 4.0e stuff) in that it rewards long term planning and an understanding of complex interactions, but it looks like Pathfinder Online is going to have that too.

Maybe....

From everything I have read about it - the Pathfinder MMO won't be using much from the D20 rules outside of flavor.

I don't disagree that DDO has bastardised the hell out of the rules - however it *currently looks* to hold closer to the D20 3.5 feel (with feats and such) than the Pathfinder MMO will.

D20 rules aside one of the biggest things those of us left that play the game enjoy (at least from my anecdotal experience) is the build system - and that people are always find new ways to build interesting characters - again from what I've read this won't be an option in PFO. 

I see an audience for PFO I suppose - I hear people begging for 'sandbox' games - but so far I've yet to play one that's been fun or interesting unless you like PvP (see eve online).

I still don't think that PFO and DDO will be even close enough to the same type of experience that whatever is pushing your buttons while playing one would be satisfied by the other.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:44pm:
D20 rules aside one of the biggest things those of us left that play the game enjoy (at least from my anecdotal experience) is the build system - and that people are always find new ways to build interesting characters - again from what I've read this won't be an option in PFO.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing much about build customization. And I agree that build customization would be a key piece of crossover interest. Good point.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Not that I have given it tons of attention, but I am going to try Everquest Next Landmark.

I know a solid percentage of players at least on Thelanis are old EQ junkies, so EQN and Landmark might have an impact.

Honestly, I still love DDO and I keep hoping for it.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
EQ Next may just be the next big thing. The builder looks cool, but what is the gameplay? Is it a sandbox, or another kill 10 boars game?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
EQ Next may just be the next big thing. The builder looks cool, but what is the gameplay? Is it a sandbox, or another kill 10 boars game?

ive been following eqnext landmark of recent, it seems the actual game wont be out for another year. I love how they are going to let the players pay to design the world they will later pay to play in.  Cheesy

A way to start generating revenue while having players generating a massive amount of graphics work to be used in the actual game. Gameplay will be a shadow on the stage since so many systems are not ready and not included in landmark. Heck, you only get one class choice, adventurer. Landmark revolves around building graphics and being a pay2test platform for EQNext.

That being said, I will check it out. I love the smell of new game exploits with my morning coffee.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:42am
Print Post  

I'd have to have a look at it, but if it's like the other two EQ, I'll stick to DDO... as long as you make sure that the devs stop putting lame quests at the fucking bottom of a fucking extensive explorer area and go pay to win for a fucking teleporter to quest entrance.

DDO has always been about quests behind doors ( or no time wasted running to the quest ), the devs need to remember that, there's still lots of doors both in Stornreach and in Eveningstar that don't have a quest...

That's also one of the reason why people prefer to run VON3... 30 seconds ( talk to quest giver included ) from ship. Storm-Fucking-Horn quests are 10 minutes and 5 loading screen off in the worst case scenario... 5 minutes and 3 loading screen in the best case.

Now, back to EQNext... if there's interesting quests behind doors in a city... it might be interesting.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 6:12am
Print Post  
I've been vaguely interested in PFO, but if you can't build like you can in 3.5 DnD, and you can't avoid PvP (which I have an outright antipathy for) then it's not a contender.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
EQ Next may just be the next big thing.

Like challenges were the next 'big thing?'  remember when you said they might change how we look at DDO?

might want to leave the prognostication to Chai.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
Like challenges were the next 'big thing?'  remember when you said they might change how we look at DDO?

HAHA. I remember that. The more I look at EQlandmark, the more I see a paying beta test platform where the players do nothing but design artwork for SOE and buy stuff in their ingame market. Seriously, this is the game they are releasing next month.

SOE's money grab team makes Alan Villani's team at DDO look innocent  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:19pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

TheKabong
Waterworks Kobold

Rats live on no evil star.
. .

Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  

I am looking at EQ Next too. I hope it is an open world like EQ was.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 2:38pm:

They could have been. i'll stand by that. I was also dissapointed with what was made.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Challenges dont have to be written off.

If the exp was better on repeated runs, new items were made to keep pace with the level cap increase and the es ings could be traded for cov's they would get run more.

I love the rushmores challenges, they only problem with them really is the shitty rewards and lack of insentive to run them.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:44pm:
They could have been. i'll stand by that. I was also dissapointed with what was made.

the price point was too high, but once players got past that and realised the xp/token/tome drops the challenges became quite busy on orien. When turbine nerfed the drops, then nerfed the xp MULITPLE times, what do you expect?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint