Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Doom? (Read 27477 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: Doom?
Reply #125 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 12:55pm:
Thanks, I will try that on weekend.
Or I will give up at second or fifth step cause I am dumb with such stuff.
Meat-head+monks familiarity level.

Click on Computer, Right Click on your Hard Disk -> Properties
Click on the Tools Tab.
You will see the Defragmentation option. Click on Defragment now.
then Analyse Disk in the pop up window.
Once Finished, it will tell you if you have any fragmentation and what is fragmented.
then click on Defragment Now if you have some fragmentation.

That's for the first thing I talked of above : file being split all over your HDD. It does nothing for the internal fragmentation of the DAT files.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #126 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
i use the preloader on a SSD for extra awesome. Saves me the trouble of downloading the same 10 fucking splash screens in french and german every time. I accidentally loaded the regular launcher yesterday and it weirded me out. I didn't recognize it, I thought I'd opened the wrong game  Cheesy

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #127 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:01pm:
and if there was several call to the script in the index structure, then only the first occurrence of the offset gets updated, the other occurrences will still point towards the old location. ( even after said location has been overwritten with new stuff ) ... BTW MajMal, this might be the reason for the Doors Are Mushrooms problems you keep encountering and for all the bugs that were fixed before that reappears after a patch.
( as well as fun stuff like Epic GH Loot Table appearing in VON1 )

Interesting. This very well could be the cat's meow.

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #128 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:17pm:
i use Saves me the trouble of downloading the same 10 fucking splash screens in french and german every time.

I use the normal launcher and haven't downloaded those splashscreen for months:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430588
Quote:
The reason this happens is that the devs are using a file called DownloadFilesList.txt that lies in the game's directory to check version of splash screens against their current version.
The problem is that they wrote the paths all wrong. They are using relative paths: "raw\en....."
I'm a programmer and there are 2 things wrong here:
you should never use "\" in paths strings. always use "/". that cause it to be cross platform.
secondly, the dev forgot to add one more "\" at the beginning of the strings. so when they search they search for (for example):
"c:\games\ddo" <--- game's directory
"raw\en...." <--- relative path
which when you concat them turns to: "c:\games\ddoraw\en"... which doesn't exist.
This explanation, I hope, will make the devs finally fix that bug. In the meantime, for all your players out there do the following:
go to that file i mentioned, delete all the files (including the corresponding opening <file> and enclosing </file> tags) for all languages you dont care for. leave the language you care for and add a "\" at the beginning of each file right before the word "raw" (if you are on mac add a "/" and not a "\").
save
right click on the file and mark "read-only".
from now on ddo cannot touch that file and it will always make sure your relevant splash screens are up to date without annoying you each time you start the launcher.

devs, it's easy to fix, plz do.

going to post this in other forums so ppl can see this.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #129 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:01pm:
And if a given 'file' gets changed the offset pointing towards it is changed and the new version points towards the end of the file... the old version stay in at it's old location as long as nothing writes over it ( since the old location is marked a free spot. )... and if there was several call to the script in the index structure, then only the first occurrence of the offset gets updated, the other occurrences will still point towards the old location. ( even after said location has been overwritten with new stuff ) ... BTW MajMal, this might be the reason for the Doors Are Mushrooms problems you keep encountering and for all the bugs that were fixed before that reappears after a patch.
( as well as fun stuff like Epic GH Loot Table appearing in VON1 )

Ohhhhh, now that could be interesting. Because maybe you could point a pointer 3/4 of the way down a list and cut out crappy loot and give a better shot at good stuff. Or swap loot tables entirely, pointing the loot for Kobold Assault at the table for VON. Mucking with pointers could give no end of amusement and profit. Maybe dragging their feet on providing a dat file defrag will turn out to be a gift  Grin

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #130 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I use the normal launcher and haven't downloaded those splashscreen for months:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430588

Or I could use pylotro and not have to do literally anything except input my password.

IP Logged

Residue
Korthos Resident

down trodden, with the
rest of you refuse

Reply #131 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 12:50am
Print Post  
@Flav 

You certainly found some interesting shit in the .dat files.

@anyslobwhohastheloadingissues

The reality is, turbine will probably never fix this issue.  We shouldn't have to use workarounds to get the game to work good, but we do.  Because we just want to play.  My advice?  Save yourself the grief and spend 10 bucks on a half decent branded 16gig usb thumb drive and run the game from there.  It will be the best 10 bucks you ever spend, and you'll be a lot happier in game.

Then come back and report your experience, and of course, add a "fuck you turbine" to this thread.

On topic:  Doom!

Res

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #132 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:43pm:
Ohhhhh, now that could be interesting. Because maybe you could point a pointer 3/4 of the way down a list and cut out crappy loot and give a better shot at good stuff. Or swap loot tables entirely, pointing the loot for Kobold Assault at the table for VON. Mucking with pointers could give no end of amusement and profit. Maybe dragging their feet on providing a dat file defrag will turn out to be a gift  Grin

I will not go on that slippery slope, I want to keep playing.

I just looked at the file content with the help of Mr.Brown
( http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1367966990/0 )
an Hex Editor and being rigorous in the use of Excel keep track of things.

Technically I'd say that it's probably possible from a theoretical point of view.
Now if you look at the data in the above thread, there's a few hints that there might be a validity check of the DAT files, as well as server checkup at the time of firing the local script.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #133 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:09pm:
Click on Computer, Right Click on your Hard Disk -> Properties

Haha, thanks I can do THAT. I have this Auslogics defrag thing to do that.
I meant dumb to install ddo on usb drive, and that linked article, stuff like that.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #134 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 3:05am:
Now if you look at the data in the above thread, there's a few hints that there might be a validity check of the DAT files, as well as server checkup at the time of firing the local script.

That's a great thread, thanks for the link.

Startup checks aren't a problem, FlexHEX can write to even a locked file as long as there is space to write without changing the size, so a fragmented and duplicate ridden .DAT file is ripe for the plucking  Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint