Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Doom? (Read 27443 times)
The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Doom?
Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Ok this started on the DDO forums, but I'm not getting a straight answer there public or private.  I suspect I will here.  What "doom"?

Quote:
...There were so many doom threads that linked to those numbers.

Wtf?  The Oracle reports nothing but the facts?

IP Logged

stardate2115
Dragon Raider

..!..

Re: Doom?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Facts of doooom ... Your report shows the slow death of ddo ... Is this not doom?

..!..       ..!..

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Link plz?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
People cited your graphs as evidence in a few dozen "Doom, ddo is dying" threads last year.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:00pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 11:15pm
Print Post  

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Doom DDO is dying.

Since I joined in 2009/2010.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:16am
Print Post  
stardate2115 wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:23pm:
Facts of doooom ... Your report shows the slow death of ddo ... Is this not doom?

But _I_ have never said anything about dying.  Wtf, I would argue it's the best MMO in existence(!)

Yes the report is the actual traffic, but there is no spin.  Hell, WB didn't even include a DDO item in the WB Humble Bundle.  Who called that shot?

The Oracle is not happy being called the harbinger of Doom.   Angry   Well, other than in gameplay where that would be … more appropriate.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Since It's my post that is quoted in pope linkie to that thread, I have to chime in.

I am not calling the Oracle a harbinger of Doom.
It's just that the data shown by the Oracle on the daily/weekly/monthly graph looks so much like what I see every day that I just can't ignore them. ( basically telecom equipment statistics show similar graphs )

It's some people are so set in the DDO is dying mode that they parse everything written as Doom.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
stardate2115 wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:23pm:

Wow, nothing exciting for weeks and I skip a week of reading and BAM, players council, new Oracle data, and another DOOM thread?!

Great data, thank you Oracle!

People are interpreting that as doom? It was definitely doom before with a strong downward trend and nary a bump for ShadowFail, but we knew that just by logging in.

The latest graph clearly shows logins per day have stabilized, it's flat for pretty much the whole quarter. That's a huge improvement, not doom!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
We all start dying the day we're born.

IP Logged

Klozzer
Waterworks Kobold

OMGZ! Time!

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
The sky is falling!

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 2:13am
Print Post  
What's the deal with the one server that seems to have about twice the people on it?

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:45am:
I am not calling the Oracle a harbinger of Doom.
It's just that the data shown by the Oracle on the daily/weekly/monthly graph looks so much like what I see every day that I just can't ignore them. ( basically telecom equipment statistics show similar graphs )

Ok fair enough.  And interesting (on the telecom side).

Flav wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:45am:
It's some people are so set in the DDO is dying mode that they parse everything written as Doom.

Well if it's doom they want to see, it is doom they shall get!  KNOW THE TRUTH OF THINGS!

Behold the LotRO Traffic Report!

There, perhaps that will sate their lust for omens.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:05pm by The Oracle »  
IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:47am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 3:34am:

That's why I keep telling Turbine when they should make their maintenance windows.
The daily graph is close enough to a public exchange call graph :

-starting to rise from background level around 7 AM, morning peak at 11 AM [ In DDO the Peak is at 1PM ] then a small drop between 11:30AP and 1PM [ The small drop is between 3PM and 4:30PM ], then another peak around 2PM [ 5PM in DDO ]....
Then that's where differences occurs. In Telecom we have a big peak starting at 6PM and going on until 10PM. ( varies in time if it's Voice, Data or SMS and with each country, but the peak is here )
Then things slowly go down to background level that is reached around 2AM.
[ Thus the maintenance windows in telecom : Midnight - 8AM, or for critical services : 2AM - 6 AM ]
There is no such peak in DDO, after the 5PM peak things slowly go down... But since the graph is shifted several hours ( compared to a telecom one ) it's quite normal to have the afternoon peak merged with the evening one in DDO.

So it's fun data to look at and compare with Telco because it shows some differences from the typical telco grap, and explaining thse differences can bring some insight to the usage. ( read : how it is used, when, where and how long; not doom )

IP Logged

kavinsky
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 3:34am:

Well if it's doom they want to see, it is doom they shall get!  KNOW THE TRUTH OF THINGS!

Behold the LotRO Traffic Report!

There, perhaps that will sate their lust for omens.

But it's on localhost . . .

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
kavinsky wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:52pm:
But it's on localhost . . .

I'm not called the all-knowing Oracle for nothing.  Click harder! 

(Fixed, tnx. Now with 100% more sating.)

IP Logged

Legato
Titan Demolisher

I fart in your general
direction!

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
qweeve wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 3:58pm:
We all start dying the day we're born.

Uh, not really. You are still growing in your teens, and you start dying in your 20s... Smiley

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 4:18am
Print Post  
hmm, is it me or DDO servers have generally more logins at peak time than LoTRO server ?

Otherwise, with a few notable exceptions, the graph is flattened out.
Compared to DDO that shows the typical telco load, the LOTRO graphs are just more or less flat, as if they were averaged over a day  [ There's a few notable exceptions though ]

So basically :

DDO has a bigger audience at peak time, but LoTRO has a more spread out audience over time.

All in all a DDO server seems to have more or less the same amount of players than a LoTRO server.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 4:18am:
All in all a DDO server seems to have more or less the same amount of players than a LoTRO server.

I'd bet Warner Brothers/Turbine puts way more money and resources into LotRO too!

No wonder DDO is still around.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2014 at 9:13am by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 9:13am:
I'd bet Warner Brothers/Turbine puts way more money and resources into LotRO too!

No wonder DDO is still around.

WB wanted Turbine to consolidate the LoTR license against Saul Zaentz ( aka Tolkien Enterprise, Aka Middle Earth Enterprise ), that way they own the whole package for games and derivative.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
DDO is definitely off by 10% in daily logins from same period last year.  That's significant, but not necessarily doom.  Even if we cared about logins.

What The Oracle doesn't know is which types of players are not logging in.  In an F2P game, logins don't necessarily equal $$.  In a subscription model, absolutely.  But if the 10% that left was a lot of non-buyers (or small purchasers) it's not as big a deal.  Revenue could even have risen over the period if the remaining 90% increased their purchases more than the exiting 10% were spending. 

Likewise, just because 90% of people are still logging in doesn't mean they are still spending money.  This graph in no way tracks the folks who were spending $$ in the store or VIP's and now are just Premium and not buying anything.  So, despite a 10% decline in logins, you could have a 40% decline in revenue (for example). 

I submit that the only graph WB or Turbine care about is the one that shows store purchases each day over the month, quarter, and year.  That chart may, or may not, bear any resemblance to the logins chart.

Any doom (or victory march) sounded by people looking at the logins chart is someone showing their own ignorance of the situation.  And most likely pushing their own hidden agenda.  (Fanboi or Troll).

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 3:12pm:
I submit that the only graph WB or Turbine care about is the one that shows store purchases each day over the month, quarter, and year.

An interesting proposition, but for the sake of discussion, please consider the following: Store sales are important for the present, but logins are important for the future, and Turbine should watch them closely. Well, probably hours spent in game rather than just the login, but logins are a reasonable approximation to the harder to track game hours.

My reasoning is twofold.

First, current (even free) players are the most economical audience to reach with advertising. Advertisers track a station's ratings because they want their message to reach as many potential customers as possible, and current players have both the cheapest cost per viewer to reach and the highest conversion rate (sales per advertisement viewed). And I don't just mean direct email marketing, every time you see a re-roll loot button or a daily gold dice roll that's an advertisement for astral shards which they sell in the store. Every LFM for a pack you don't own is an advertisement too.

Second, DDO isn't a standalone game, it's an MMO and many people play it for the social aspect. Decreasing the density of players also decreases the entertainment value for many players, making it more likely that they will leave in the future. That's why threads calling for a removal of dungeon scaling or a merge of servers pop up on the main forums almost as often as doom threads. I don't put much stock in either, but their prevalence indicates many people do.

So while I agree with you that current sales are more important than current logins, logins are still very important. Of course, the other way to read your statement is that Turbine can't think far enough ahead to worry about the future so they don't care about login statistics no matter how important they are. I have no counter argument  for that interpretation Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
An interesting proposition, but for the sake of discussion, please consider the following: Store sales are important for the present, but logins are important for the future, and Turbine should watch them closely. Well, probably hours spent in game rather than just the login, but logins are a reasonable approximation to the harder to track game hours.

My reasoning is twofold.

First, current (even free) players are the most economical audience to reach with advertising. Advertisers track a station's ratings because they want their message to reach as many potential customers as possible, and current players have both the cheapest cost per viewer to reach and the highest conversion rate (sales per advertisement viewed). And I don't just mean direct email marketing, every time you see a re-roll loot button or a daily gold dice roll that's an advertisement for astral shards which they sell in the store. Every LFM for a pack you don't own is an advertisement too.

Second, DDO isn't a standalone game, it's an MMO and many people play it for the social aspect. Decreasing the density of players also decreases the entertainment value for many players, making it more likely that they will leave in the future. That's why threads calling for a removal of dungeon scaling or a merge of servers pop up on the main forums almost as often as doom threads. I don't put much stock in either, but their prevalence indicates many people do.

So while I agree with you that current sales are more important than current logins, logins are still very important. Of course, the other way to read your statement is that Turbine can't think far enough ahead to worry about the future so they don't care about login statistics no matter how important they are. I have no counter argument  for that interpretation Roll Eyes

Don't get me wrong.  Decreasing logins can't really ever be spun as a "good thing".  More consumers and/or potential consumers is always better than fewer. 

I'm just saying that the "doom" comments would be unwarranted based on this small sample of ancillary data.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:10pm:
I'm not called the all-knowing Oracle for nothing. 

I am slightly confused by your data. The Wayfinder server in particular. There are a few hours of the day in which there are less then 30 people on the server, yet I dont see this reflected in your data. Makes me wonder if all the servers data is the same.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint