Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Doom? (Read 27506 times)
mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Doom?
Reply #50 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:17pm:
As such, while subscribers foot bills, I would suggest those F2P masses represent the real value of the game. 

I beg to differ. DDO is supported by a small number of whales and represent the only value left. You have to realize this is an old game, based off an even older engine, with a waning population. Turbine will not put much care or effort into future potential customers.

That being said, DDO is still a niche game with excellent combat, graphics(ty ken rolston) that rival current mmo contenders and still has good character customization.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:14pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Why are you thanking jedi master Ken for graphics?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:47pm:
Why are you thanking jedi master Ken for graphics?

isnt he the head of design?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #53 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 2:52am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:05pm:
That being said, DDO is still a niche game with excellent combat, graphics(ty ken rolston) that rival current mmo contenders and still has good character customization.

Too bad some idiots at Turbine Manglement and in the development team are trying to change DDO into a mainstream game.

It's a Niche game that cater for the following :
- No PvP
- No travel time to Quests
- Small parties in quests ( 6 )
- Small parties in raids ( 12 )
- Heavy character customization.

Any deviation from the above is going to make people grumpy.
One of the reason nobody run the Eveningstar, Stormhorn and Wheloon quests is the time ti takes to reach them. Tweaking the XP of said quests won't change that fact, Tweaking the XP from VON3 will just make people go to VON5 instead, and still not go to the quests that takes time to reach.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Maj, while your on this thread, can you please check into fixing the coding flaw with ddo that can often cause disconnects when first loading the client and entering world. This is easily observed and replicated by running ddo from a hdd then with a ssd from the same machine. There is also a software workaround, it is called pylotro.

It looks very shoddy for so many players to get disconnected upon first logging in. ofc, this does have the added benefit of padding user login data, so I can see why it has been ignored for so very long. haha, I just had to go there.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:01pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #56 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:59am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:57pm:
isnt he the head of design?

Link
Quote:
His new title at Turbine is director of design, and his responsibilities include leading the vision and implementation of all aspects of game design at the company.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #57 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:44am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
Maj, while your on this thread, can you please check into fixing the coding flaw with ddo that can often cause disconnects when first loading the client and entering world. This is easily observed and replicated by running ddo from a hdd then with a ssd from the same machine. There is also a software workaround, it is called pylotro.

It looks very shoddy for so many players to get disconnected upon first logging in. ofc, this does have the added benefit of padding user login data, so I can see why it has been ignored for so very long. haha, I just had to go there.

/signed

It's highly visible, highly annoying, and easily repeatable, this is way more important than moving quest givers around the harbor.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:26pm
Print Post  

I can not even count the number of new players I have seen quit this game over this stupidity. I have visited with new players in the harbor and tried to garner new customers, many who are trying the game from Steam and their number one complaint is the game doesn't work so why would they spend money on it. A major percent of these new players quit after a week also, with the only complaint I know of being the ability to login and actually play easily.  Sad

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:38pm
Print Post  

Good clue there with the SSD/HDD. Will try in the morning.

IP Logged

Werebadger
Dragon Raider

Jazz hands!

Reply #60 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Can I haz some doom to?

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #61 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 3:41pm:
Can I haz some doom to?

sure.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
That Doom I'll always approve of. If interested, Brutal Doom is such an amazing MOD for old Doom. makes the game fresh again.

And the Dwango1 or Dwango5 wads for multiplayer maps are still the best compilations.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #63 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 4:22pm:
sure.

http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/doom

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
Good clue there with the SSD/HDD. Will try in the morning.

has something to do with ddo and windows preloader. The first time you load ddo client(fresh boot) it tends to timeout if you are using a HDD.

While many gamers will have an ssd and/or ddopreloader or pylotro, the average player will still be running on a non-gaming rig with a HDD. They wont know you need 1 of these 3 things and will just move on to a game that doesnt take MINUTES to load up and then crash.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:40pm:
has something to do with ddo and windows preloader. The first time you load ddo client(fresh boot) it tends to timeout if you are using a HDD.

While many gamers will have an ssd and/or ddopreloader or pylotro, the average player will still be running on a non-gaming rig with a HDD. They wont know you need 1 of these 3 things and will just move on to a game that doesnt take MINUTES to load up and then crash.

This, totally this! Also why does it/we have to rely on player made solutions? It just boggles my mind! No disrespect Maj.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #66 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 7:40pm:

For the record in the 2 years I've been running DDO on a Win7 Pro deskptop (64) with 8gigs of ram and a HDD not SDD (SATA) I have never once had DDO crash on me upon load-in. In fact, I've almost never had DDO crash on me period, since moving to Win7 64. I do need to reboot sometimes, but it doesn't crash.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #67 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
old install I had (using that bloody 3rd party downloader) seemed to work ok.
Every time I try to run through the Steam launcher I downloaded from now, red connection, no packets in, and crash on startup.
Known a couple of other people who play exclusively through steam who have this issue.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #68 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
AngryKobold wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:26pm:
I can not even count the number of new players I have seen quit this game over this stupidity. I have visited with new players in the harbor and tried to garner new customers, many who are trying the game from Steam and their number one complaint is the game doesn't work so why would they spend money on it. A major percent of these new players quit after a week also, with the only complaint I know of being the ability to login and actually play easily. 

WAI.

Players who do not have computers equipped with SSDs, at least 8gig of RAM (to make Awesomium MOAR AWESOME), and at least quad core processors are not the target demographic.

It's all about a few customers making an assload of "microtransactions".

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #69 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 8:25pm:
For the record in the 2 years I've been running DDO on a Win7 Pro deskptop (64) with 8gigs of ram and a HDD not SDD (SATA) I have never once had DDO crash on me upon load-in. In fact, I've almost never had DDO crash on me period, since moving to Win7 64. I do need to reboot sometimes, but it doesn't crash.

Off the top of my head this is appx my setup too and not had this. But I do understand it is really fucking frustrating when you do, as my old pc did the crash into the desert thing...

Edit. I see the Steam discussion above. I have never used Steam for DDO.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:27pm by Terebinthia »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #70 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:09pm:
WAI.

Players who do not have computers equipped with SSDs, at least 8gig of RAM (to make Awesomium MOAR AWESOME), and at least quad core processors are not the target demographic.

It's all about a few customers making an assload of "microtransactions".

LOL, I hadn't thought of that - if you're too poor for a SSD you can't afford to spend big and we don't want you?

Well, my 16 GB RAM, 8 core rig with 4 GB of DDR5 video ram, and a 10krpm hdd has it fairly often, so they are setting the bar quite high Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #71 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 11:17pm:
LOL, I hadn't thought of that - if you're too poor for a SSD you can't afford to spend big and we don't want you?

Well, my 16 GB RAM, 8 core rig with 4 GB of DDR5 video ram, and a 10krpm hdd has it fairly often, so they are setting the bar quite high Smiley

I still run this on my Vista machine and never had the initial crash. Even on my laptops and machines all the way back to beta: 2-8 GB RAM. 1-4 GB of DDR5. 5400 - 10K drives, no SSD.  The only commonality is most likely ATI video drivers.

I just get the issue where the memory is not released and when it gets above about 2.5GB, it has performance issues moving and zoning. I ran it up to 3.4GB before - all I have to do is switch characters (run thru like a dozen characters to ramp it up). I believe this started happening when they made that fast logout / login crap.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #72 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:15am
Print Post  
4 machines - all ATI drivers and never had a crash on load in, or zoneing.

I did have serious issues during that time they were dealing with the code for item effects (on the older machines) - loading into the ship would take forever, and getting shrines would be pretty bad (at that time).

I don't use SSD (for the DDO client anyway) on any of them.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Steam thing sounds like a firewall issue. Steam loves to forget telling your firewall everything is ok. I've seen this exact thing with TF2 and XCom recently. Seems that the permission for the firewall doesn't renew after a patch or something.

The double log in thing has been seen internally externally but we haven't figured out exactly what the hell it is. Some race condition happens...but the SSD/HDD will muck with the timing of launching, so it may help point to the cause.

No we don't cater to new machines. that is stupid. it's a old MMO. Yes I have someone test on the min spec box. Yes there are some limitations using that old hardware, but the game is playable....barely. No, most players do not have hardcore boxes. Wish they did.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #74 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 11:56pm:
most likely ATI video drivers

No ATI here, nVidia and IBM for me (multiple machines, not nVidia and IBM in the same)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint