Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Doom? (Read 27516 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: Doom?
Reply #75 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:44am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:46am:
The double log in thing has been seen internally externally but we haven't figured out exactly what the hell it is. Some race condition happens...but the SSD/HDD will muck with the timing of launching, so it may help point to the cause.

You should build a version that timestamps and logs program checkpoints, you have plenty of tech savvy customers who would be willing to run that and send you the log after it happened, maybe even some who would do the HDD/SSD switch and send you both logs.

You should also consider testing it under WINE on Linux, it will report warnings for many operations that are technically illegal but handled on many systems. This is better than just "silently dealing with the error" as many systems do, because it lets you really fix the problem. Think of malformed HTML that many, but not all, browsers will render correctly anyway - it's better to fix it than rely on browser guessing.

If you have any parallel systems (i.e. a load balancer, multiple domain controllers, a backup authentication server, etc) try to log which was used. A few milliseconds difference in path length could be critical.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #76 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:01am
Print Post  
The double log in thing has been seen internally externally but we haven't figured out exactly what the hell it is. Some race condition happens...but the SSD/HDD will muck with the timing of launching, so it may help point to the cause.

Not exactly.
Well from my point of view, as a recently upgraded Frog it's not a race condition, but it's linked to the DAT files.

Before I upgraded my PC was the following :
- 230Gb 7200rpm Western Digital HDD
- Pentium D930
- ATI 7950 graphic Card.
- Windows XP SP3.
- 4Gb of RAM.

DSL Max which compute for my line length to 4.8Mb/s up, 1Mb/s Down.

I always had a red connection logo when I first entered the game, and while I was loading ( after a crash ) I always could talk into party ( while the only thing I was seeing was the loading screen ). While I had that, my HDD was working like a mad.

I upgraded with the following :
- 2 120Gb SSDs ( Intel ) 
- 1 160 Gb SSD ( Intel )
- Windows 7

All the rest stayed the same.
For whatever reasons, I failed at the Installation check and I'm too lazy to do it again, so my Windows 7 is installed on the HDD.
DDO is installed on one of the SSD.

Since DDO is on the SSD I don't have the red link down signal and I've cut my loading time a lot.

It's consistent with the fact that the preloader solve the crash on logging issue by preloading in memory the DAT files.

For me the problem is tied to the DAT files, they are full of things that can be removed and of duplicate of the same data ( or various versions of said data ) and would need to be streamlined.

If you reduce the file size you will reduce the number of crashes.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #77 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
No we don't cater to new machines. that is stupid.

Of course it would be.

It would also be stupid to not renew the company's domains, to allow patches to go live that prevent players from logging into the game (and from downloading subsequent patches).

It's stupid that players cannot easily remove their credit card information from their account while in the game, and it's stupid that there's no additional card verification at times of purchase.

It was stupid to allow Feather of Sun to cause so much damage to player good will and stupid to do so little remediation.

It's stupid that bugs are fixed and re-introduced.  It's stupid that exploits are reported and allowed to go live.

Just because a policy or action is shockingly stupid does not mean Turbine won't proceed with it.

These and many other stupid things aren't helping with customer satisfaction or retention.

That the "Disconnect on zone in" and the "double login" issues have not been resolved indicates that they are deemed not sufficiently important to merit attention or resources.

I suggest you invite Producers Rowan and Glin to constrain their play time to machines that suffer from double login and zone-in problems.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #78 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
It's not steam. Turned off windows firewall, ran DDO without preloader from the directory rather than through steam, and bang, red X again, exactly the same as before.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #79 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Werebadger wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 3:41pm:
Can I haz some doom to?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to feel left out.  I thought the Oracle had been ascribed enough doom for everyone.

But no worries, here you go!  One last, final helping:
http://www.ddoracle.com/images/serverLoadAllYears.big.png

That should be enough for everyone.

To think the Traffic Report was a side project.  Roll Eyes   Now can I haz some API back please?

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 4:53pm:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to feel left out.  I thought the Oracle had been ascribed enough doom for everyone.

To think the Traffic Report was a side project.  Roll Eyes   Now can I haz some API back please?

Wow, freaking epic bro! +1! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy! Lolz!

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #81 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:14pm
Print Post  

Why the fuck has Ghallanda gone batshit active over the last six months?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #82 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:09pm:
WAI.

Players who do not have computers equipped with SSDs, at least 8gig of RAM (to make Awesomium MOAR AWESOME), and at least quad core processors are not the target demographic.

It's all about a few customers making an assload of "microtransactions".

no shit Oppenheimer.  if you ran a business THAT SELLS SHIT TO PEOPLE which demographic would you target? 

1-broke-ass, can't afford to upgrade my PC every seven years players let alone buy TPs or VIP

2- people who actually spend money

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:42pm
Print Post  

From 1.5m logins a week to 500k logins a week.

Quite a big drop off.

Though its hard to tell what it really means, given most people have at least a couple of toons, and some have dozens.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #84 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  

Nice graph, really nice. Not going to comment about it though, it would end on Topic.  Grin

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #85 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:14pm:
Why the fuck has Ghallanda gone batshit active over the last six months?

I do not know.

The numbers are true, but unexpected.  Frequently suggested is that Ghallanda is the new default server.

As a developer, I will say this much.  If my servers were underloaded, putting ALL the new players on the same server would give them a very real sense of activity.  They'd think the joint was jumping, because it was.  At the same time, forcing existing players to move is a segue to a bitchfest.  So if it was me, I'd just re-point new player logins and not say a word.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #86 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 5:09pm:
Wow, freaking epic bro! +1! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy! Lolz!

You just made the Oracle's day, thanks.  Wink

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #87 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:08pm
Print Post  

I see what you did with the background there Wink

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:01am:
Since DDO is on the SSD I don't have the red link down signal and I've cut my loading time a lot.

I dont have the red login software flaw when loading ddo from my ssd. I do when loading ddo from a 5400rpm WD HDD on the same machine. The ONLY difference between the 2 loads is the speed at which my drive can read/load the fragmented pile of shit data files.

It seems to me, that ddo's disconnect timer runs out before the slow HDD can read the massivily fragmented dat files. Now before anyone gets stupid and suggests defrag, I am speaking of the dat file and not the hard drive. As I am sure Maj knows, turbine purposely disabled the exsisting datdefrag tool that was used for lotro and ddo. It could be just too much for those drives with slow random read speeds.

I have no idea at this time what the addition of the ddo preloader would do. I will have to download and test later this week.

Maj, if you would send me an old copy of datexport.dll from lotro Version 3.2 please I will defrag your dat files to see if that changes the outcome.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #89 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  

The Pit graphic behind the chart was a nice touch!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:42pm:
The Pit graphic behind the chart was a nice touch!

Forge 2 yes?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #91 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:46pm:
Forge 2 yes?

It looked to me like it was high up in one of the rooms in The Pit where the Fire Elementals are imprisoned or where you throw the levers after jumping up some pipes and actually imprison them.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:50pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #92 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:34pm
Print Post  

Awesome, thank you Oracle! I love the longer views, I have lately been saving images in the hopes of stitching them together for longer views, but now you are providing them  Smiley

The Oracle wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:03pm:
If my servers were underloaded, putting ALL the new players on the same server would give them a very real sense of activity.  They'd think the joint was jumping, because it was.

Has anybody done a "who" on G-land and, say, Orien on a Saturday night to see if twice as many people are logged on?

OldCoaly wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:34am:
Just because a policy or action is shockingly stupid does not mean Turbine won't proceed with it.

These and many other stupid things aren't helping with customer satisfaction or retention.

great post, Coal, I'm not going to quote the whole thing, but I cheered when I read it.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Yeah i got to look into that defrag tool again. Grumble.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #94 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Don't read logins as people. It's just logins. now if people were say...duping, and switching characters, or pulling the ethernet....

huh.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #95 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
So because of all the alleged exploits, those numbers are inflated? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:01pm:
Don't read logins as people. It's just logins. now if people were say...duping, and switching characters, or pulling the ethernet....

huh.

With a higher level cap and epic destinies, I found that I was playing fewer characters since I knew I wouldn't bother taking some builds to 25 or 28.

Only one made it to 25 before I took my first break in April 2013. With two days of running quests since August 2013, level 28 isn't even on my to-do list, and I've only run quests on 2-3 of my 12 character slots. Most of those characters have no enhancements.

I'm not sold on this being a real, permanent change that will result in improved outcomes, but it will be interesting to watch. If you could prove that Rowan gives a rat's ass about the playerbase by taking concrete actions like fixing the login bug and giving players a UI option to hide obscene garbage like the astral shard re-roll button, I'd be able to scavenge up some hope. Until then, same old, same old, I'm afraid.

I do sincerely appreciate your work, and your gluttony for punishment. Thanks, majmal, for being the one person on the team who bothers to even show up. I hope that when you talked about your own corner of the forums that it meant you're keeping the mouth-breathing moderators away. You need your own fiefdom.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #97 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:12pm:
So because of all the alleged exploits, those numbers are inflated? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So those bastards on Ghallanda must be sploitin like crazy huh?
What do they know that we on other servers don't?   Tongue

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:00pm:
Yeah i got to look into that defrag tool again. Grumble.

At least increase the disconnect timer to avoid the pain of the disconnect after the slow load they probably are experiencing. An added benefit is that you could mess up the disconnect related exploits. oh my  Shocked

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #99 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:21pm:
An added benefit is that you could mess up the disconnect related exploits. oh my

WTF dude?
Don't give them ideas - they'll only fuck more shit up!!

After testing it on live, you watch, now they'll extend the disconnect timer (but the intern will make the value hours instead of seconds), and during that time, it will lock your PC up and you'll be unable to do anything else until it finishes.
And as an unexpected outcome (ie. Turbine bonus feature WAI), it will have converted all the porn vids on your drive to animated GIF's.

Sigh.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint