Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) A new era for LAMA land. (Read 13225 times)
Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: A new era for LAMA land.
Reply #50 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:15am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:53am:
Funny we do nothing for VIPs people bitch. We give them some stuff...people bitch.

I'm pretty sure that alot of the complaining from people comes from the Shadowfail experience and new Enhancement system.

After the first and very brief sneakpeek, input for the new Enhancement system came from only those players who pre-purchased the Shadowfail packages. Players who didn't buy the Shadowfail packages were pissed because arguably the most important part of build any toon was getting input from a very small number of players. This wasn't some minor part of the game. This wasn't an optional part of the game. The Enhancement system is a core part of the game that should have had as much input as possible put into it.

Now unbeknownest to the majority of the players who had no access to the Shadowfail Beta, the Devs ignored the input of players who participated. Besides the number of trees for MCs, there was very little changes with the Enhancement system. Minor tweaks were done here and there, but things that sucked continued to suck while things that were overpowered for a single build got nerfed into oblivion. What was already made was what players got.

There are still players in the game that blame the Shadowfail pre-purchasers for problems with the Enhancement system. Even though the complaints were things that were repeatedly flagged by players that participated.

So yes, I can see why there is some bitching about VIP getting early access with what happened last year being fresh in people's minds.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:15am by Barkabout »  

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Funny we do nothing for VIPs people bitch. We give them some stuff...people bitch.

It's a week. Deal.

You don't understand shit.

mystafyi wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 6:31pm:
I think your missing the point. People are upset that many folks that would be willing to test out stuff for turbine cannot do so for the first week. Lamma has always been dead after a few days, so waiting a week to allow all players means nobody will bother.

Please change your policy and let all players test. This is not a VIP perk and should never have been implemented. Give VIP's the advance access of new content on live servers not on a fucking test platform. for christ's sake man.

THIS is the point. People are willing to test the shit out of your buggy mess and you repay them by letting VIPs test them first a week early. As mys said, after a week Lama is D E A D. How the fuck are we supposed to test your shit when 10 people are logged on?

Why the fuck would you give VIPs a week early of preview? Don't try to pretend this is a perk because it's not, it's a stupid thing. You lack of feedback and then exclude a big part of your community that are actually willing to help you. There must be some geniuses at Turbine.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 6:04am by Shuy »  

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 6:24am
Print Post  
I agree, by all means let VIPs have early access to stuff* on LIVE servers, but testing has to be free fro all if you actually want feedback.

*Don't ever again pull crap like u14 and delay gamemaking/breaking features like destinies for over 3 months to the non vip/pre-purchasers, it separated your user base badly at the time

IP Logged

dilnu
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:54am
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 6:12pm:
"As you may have heard, we are shutting down Mournlands."

And nary a fuck was given that day...

This!!!

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #54 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post  

It's a week. Deal.

a week is a lot when it comes to testing things. i dont think lots of people will wait a week to be able to log in? and even if so, then all the VIPs tested it out already and wont bother to log in again. give VIPs shiny cool things on live servers; thats where the VIP bonusses belong to, not on the test servers. test servers are to test things, give feedback and all should have the same rights because subobtimal testing doesnt help you. you get the best results when you get lots of ppl to test it.

p.s. yes i am a vip.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:06am by Quak »  

IP Logged

Athanor
Waterworks Kobold

Carpe Diem!

Reply #55 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:06am:
a week is a lot when it comes to testing things. i dont think lots of people will wait a week to be able to log in? and even if so, then all the VIPs tested it out already and wont bother to log in again. give VIPs shiny cool things on live servers; thats where the VIP bonusses belong to, not on the test servers. test servers are to test things, give feedback and all should have the same rights because subobtimal testing doesnt help you. you get the best results when you get lots of ppl to test it.

Agree

ps: I'm not VIP, but don't have time to testing on Lama

We need more guillotine's revolutions!!!

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  

It's a week. Deal.

If you really want to do something for VIPs, you could start with what was promised years ago. All content. Turbine's nickel and diming of their core customers is atrocious.

Eve seems to do well by giving people updates and expansions for payment of their monthly fee. I believe Guild Wars 2 is still offering biweekly content updates based on the original $60 purchase.

In 2009-2011, DDO targeted 5 updates a year, free for VIPs. Now what do VIPs get that F2P don't? Update 12 came out in November 2011 with the House C Challenges. Update 13 was F2P. Update 14 (MoTU) was an expansion. 15 was Druids Deep, 16 was High Road, 17 was Gianthold Redux, 18 was a mix of F2P and Shadowfail expansion, 19 was Shadowfail, and 20 was two F2P quests.

So Turbine has delivered only two new non-F2P packs for VIP in over two years, Druid's Deep and High Road. These weren't even terribly good adventure packs. Quite the change from Updates 1 through 11 which rolled out over a similar time period.

VIP hasn't looked like a good switch for premiums since forever.

As for the early access to Lama, you'd be insane to run Lama with anything other than a singular focus on what works best to get the input and feedback you need. If a smaller group of VIP players is easier to manage and gives you enough data, fine. Otherwise, running it as an olive branch (or fig leaf) for VIPs is counterproductive and harmful.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #57 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:06am:
all the VIPs tested it out already and wont bother to log in again. give VIPs shiny cool things on live servers; thats where the VIP bonusses belong to, not on the test servers. test servers are to test things, give feedback and all should have the same rights because subobtimal testing doesnt help you. you get the best results when you get lots of ppl to test it.

Agreed.

That "Preview Lamania is a Privilege" mindset may have worked when Lamania was a preview server, but you don't need a preview server, you desperately need a beta test server. Get as many people in as early as you can and listen to what they tell you.

You're already facing a huge pile of (well deserved) cynicism, don't make this another half-assed effort. Make sure every reported bug is put somewhere players can see it was reported, and have a dev acknowledge each and every one of them, even if you can't fix them all.

Reporting bugs to Turdbin traditionally had all the satisfaction of talking to some kid who's busy texting his girlfriend and saying "uh huh" to you every few minutes. You've made a big deal about the shakeup, and people are willing to give you another chance. Put down the phone and listen to them, every one of them, for as long as they have something to say, and then prove to them that it was worth their time to help you do your job.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:35pm
Print Post  

It's a week. Deal.

A typically stupid response.

If Turbine was at all serious about getting feedback early in the process they would be maximizing their potential testers not reducing them.  Nothing to do with VIP benefits.  Anyone who thinks that being a VIP to alpha test is a good deal would buy anything Turbine offered in the first place.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #59 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  

It's a week. Deal.

Done what for VIP's?
https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip

Its a weak deal

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:15am:
I'm pretty sure that alot of the complaining from people comes from the Shadowfail experience and new Enhancement system.

After the first and very brief sneakpeek, input for the new Enhancement system came from only those players who pre-purchased the Shadowfail packages. Players who didn't buy the Shadowfail packages were pissed because arguably the most important part of build any toon was getting input from a very small number of players. This wasn't some minor part of the game. This wasn't an optional part of the game. The Enhancement system is a core part of the game that should have had as much input as possible put into it.

Now unbeknownest to the majority of the players who had no access to the Shadowfail Beta, the Devs ignored the input of players who participated. Besides the number of trees for MCs, there was very little changes with the Enhancement system. Minor tweaks were done here and there, but things that sucked continued to suck while things that were overpowered for a single build got nerfed into oblivion. What was already made was what players got.

There are still players in the game that blame the Shadowfail pre-purchasers for problems with the Enhancement system. Even though the complaints were things that were repeatedly flagged by players that participated.

So yes, I can see why there is some bitching about VIP getting early access with what happened last year being fresh in people's minds.

Wow...this is so not true. There were hundreds of changes directly from player feedback. Hundreds. This is the mythology that the fan base chooses to believe, because of the few with an axe to grind because their brilliant idea didn't make it in and we have decided --right or wrong--not to bait the trolls. It's like arguing religion there will be no winner. Cyr believes what he wants, no matter what data I show him, or what expertise in games I have for example.
Man...that people actually think this irks me. That beta pass over that 4 weeks was invaluable. Data was amazing. Devs used it. Did they blindly make all the changes that people posted from their armchairs...of course not. For very good reasons. Go read any of the disaster stories over the past 2 or 3 years of games (especially MMO's) that catered blindly to the vocal fanbase. Hint: They die pretty quickly. We need to have a much more...holistic view. This would be great for Barbs...but will break blah de blah. The matrix in this game is huge...easily bigger than any other MMO...maybe bigger than any RPG ever. That is was as right as it was at launch is fucking outstanding. What is it...2 billion combinations or some crazy number like that. Sometimes we need to make the right decision over the best one...if that makes any sense.
And to point out...participation was UP when it was exclusive not the usual baseline. So what am I supposed to do with that data? Ignore it?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #61 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 3:45pm:
So what am I supposed to do with that data? Ignore it?

What do you usually do with it?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #62 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
participation was UP when it was exclusive not the usual baseline.

How did you isolate variables on that? Because you certainly didn't have access to 2 different populations that differed only in that one was told it was exclusive and one wasn't. So how much of that difference could be from a growing perception that testing and reporting was futile? Or a perception that what was being tested wasn't that important? And how can you even apply numbers observed on a preview server to a beta-test server, isn't user expectation different?

And when you say participation is up, do you mean in aggregate, or for all major sub-populations (i.e. are VIP and Premium both up by 20% when you make it exclusive, or are your VIP numbers double and your Premiums drop by 90%)?

I'd be happy to see VIPs get advanced access if it really did result in everybody getting more input, but it just feels like we are trying to kindle a new enthusiasm for a fresh start, and then immediately throwing a wet blanket of same old-same old on it.

Do you really think imposing a second class citizen designation on a group of your testers is going to make them contribute more, or are you saying the VIPs' opinions are more important to Turbine and getting them more involved is worth any cost?

EDIT: On re-reading, it sounds, even to me, like I'm saying you are wrong. What I'm trying to say is I'm having trouble seeing how that could be, and asking you to go into more detail on your past observations and explain how they relate to the current situation.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:43pm by Meursault »  

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Wow...this is so not true. There were hundreds of changes directly from player feedback.

I am glad that many things were changed from how they were first proposed.

And to point out...participation was UP when it was exclusive not the usual baseline. So what am I supposed to do with that data? Ignore it?

It could be a myriad of reasons, but without knowing the exact time period participation was up, I couldn't begin to hazard a guess.

I will say this. The game has gone downhill post motu, so if that is the time period, then yes ignore it.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:07pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #64 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Weird - when the enhancement system came out I honestly didn't know a single person (that I play with - outside either forum) that liked it. After the player feedback and the revamp - while there were grumblings about some *specific* things in general everyone calmed down and was pleased with it.

Yes - it destroyed builds - I guess you are new to the game because it wasn't unique in that aspect - builds (and very popular ones) have been being destroyed by updates for as long as the game has been out. 

One of the most popular builds used to be based on stat draining weapons - whoops destroyed.

Then it was '6 levels of ranger' on every toon.  Whoops destroyed.

Then it was incredible levels of healing amp - whoops destroyed.

I honestly do feel sorry for you if you had a favorite build that doesn't work anymore - but join the fucking club - it doesn't make you a unique snowflake.
In fact at least *THIS* time they handed out +20 LR tokens to reset your toon (the very FIRST time they have ever done that - heck they wouldn't even reset the 'free' feat reset back before LR was an option on previous adjustments).

Cry moar.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:19pm by Ckorik »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #65 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:19pm:
In fact at least *THIS* time they handed out +20 LR tokens to reset your toon

Yeah, that was a great decision. That and allowing convenient multiboxing through the launcher are two of things that give me hope about Rowan.

I do, however, disagree with you on the "it's always been done so it's OK" argument for constant changes. They bucked conventional wisdom when they went F2P and it saved the game, they should make a similar leap of faith with regard to constant changes.

mystafyi wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:06pm:
I will say this. The game has gone downhill post motu, so if that is the time period, then yes ignore it

Yeah, probably for nearly a year before MOTU too, and MOTU was a speedbump in the downhill slide. I heard a ton of grumbling in that time frame about why bother, the bugs make it to live anyway. I loaded the Lamania client, but had trouble with character copy. The guild mate I was going to test with also had troubles, and we didn't end up testing anything, I just ran around the harbor for a bit. And I haven't been back since, why bother.

But a new guy saying he's different, he'll listen, that may be a reason to bother. If you're asking us to ignore what we've learned from experience (that Turdbin doesn't care and will push the crap to live regardless of our bug reports) maybe you should consider ignoring what you've learned from experience (that people participate less if it's open to everyone). It's a whole new world, right?

mystafyi wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:06pm:
I am glad that many things were changed from how they were first proposed.

Me too, but what is probably the most important change wasn't made - it wasn't finished, tested, and fixed before it was released.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #66 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:24am:
I do, however, disagree with you on the "it's always been done so it's OK" argument for constant changes. They bucked conventional wisdom when they went F2P and it saved the game, they should make a similar leap of faith with regard to constant changes.

Well it's only been about 6 months - so I'm still holding out on if this overall was a pointless waste of time for changes sake (how I feel about it overall - even though I don't mind the new enhancement system) - or if this new system will actually bring us new enhancement paths quickly - increasing us from 3 per class to more (etc.)

We already have a new arcane path - so the signs are good.

I don't honestly know the backend - was the old system such a pile of steaming crap that it couldn't be worked?  The only dev that seemed to be able to get it working was Eladrin and he moved with the speed of a snail stuck in pitch.  If that's the case and the only hope of fixing things was to recode the entire mess - fine I can live with that - it would have been nice if they had just explained that on the outset.

Now that things are settling down - I really think we need to see the third divine destiny hit - and some new enhancement paths/destinies on a regular basis - what's enough?  Dunno - but if the endgame is content (dungeons) + reincarnation the more that are available the more attractive the endgame is.  3.5 has a literal truckton of prestige classes and feats to choose from (and spells honestly) if these changes bring more of those choices to the game it just makes the meta game of building 'your perfect toon' more fun.

On that note - spells - it's way past time we get more spell options (especially on the higher end) so that it's a real effort to figure out your spell load instead of the same ones on each toon.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #67 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:06am:
Well it's only been about 6 months - so I'm still holding out on if this overall was a pointless waste of time for changes sake (how I feel about it overall - even though I don't mind the new enhancement system) - or if this new system will actually bring us new enhancement paths quickly - increasing us from 3 per class to more (etc.)

Yeah, I like the new UI, though more in a "yeah, that's nice" than a "Wow, that's awesome!" way. What bugs me is that they coded new dependency trees instead of re-coding the dependency trees they already had in a format compatible with the new system. Yeah you want new options for the people who burn through content, but it's just stupid to say you are trying to make the game more new player/casual friendly and then force the recent and casual players to re-learn a whole new system just to keep playing their old characters. Sure it's more work for the devs that way, but isn't retaining customers worth it?

And your point on new spells, prestige classes, and feats is perfect! That's exactly what I want to see. Give new options to the power gamer crowd by adding new options, not screwing with the old. Current casual players can safely ignore them, and bored power gamers have a ton of new combinations to explore. And you can charge for it too! Or have it be an added incentive for subscribing, which is just another form of charging for it.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is with a little bit more effort it could have been a neutral/win situation instead of a lose/win situation. I want the game good for VIPs so it stays in business, and I want it good for casuals so it's worth my time to play. And I don't see those two as mutually exclusive.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #68 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
WHY THE FUCK AREN'T THERE MORE RACIAL PRESTIGES??

Halfling assassins, for one thing.  Angry

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #69 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:36pm:

And that’s why I nominated you for the council.  You can advocate for me while I play SWTOR.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:24am:
Me too, but what is probably the most important change wasn't made - it wasn't finished, tested, and fixed before it was released.

I am really trying to be civil towards turbine of late. I will see if turbine has the ability of an average college level coder  to fix the double login issue. If they cannot fix even this little issue after this forum practically held their hand to point out the problems, then all hope is lost. Turbine either cannot do so due to lack of competent employee's or they dont care since despite what maj is saying over here.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2014 at 5:40pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #71 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
...urging with psychopaths...

MAJ!

You're wasting your time. Don't you know the statistics about how people shown information that contradicts their worldview choose to ignore the information instead of changing their worldview?

It doesn't matter that players who argue with you have 10% of the information you do about DDO, wht players actually do, what should actually happen in video games, etc.

If you tell them feedback was great, and enhancements are way better for it, they tell you that you're a shit head and ignore their feedback. Sometimes I think the best way to describe the fan-base of this game is: "like an irrational girlfriend that a man can't understand". Sorry if that's chauvinistic.

Just in case you think I'm a fanboi:

-Being a VIP makes me feel like a chump, but I'm impulsive and bad at buying things on sale, so it's probably the best for me. But I hate it and you're ripping me off.
-Lots of enhancement trees still need a lot of work to be completed.
-Barbarians are a joke, why did you bring them up?
-We need MORE VIP perks, but forcing our non-VIP brothers and sisters to not help us test your shit is the kind of thing that creates class divides. NOT HELPFUL. Also, some of your best players are cheap-ass pathetic Premiums. Let 'em in.
-More VIP perks
-Fix Shuriken
-Fix Doubleshot and end the tyranny of /6 Monk splashes
-Have a nice day

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:06am:
I don't honestly know the backend - was the old system such a pile of steaming crap that it couldn't be worked? 

The game is actually genius in design. The problem we see now is that it was designed for low levels(1-10 iirc), to recreate the fun of tabletop d&d. Over the years, so many different devs have added and changed the game systems so much that it is the mess we now see. I am quite sure this game is a headache to keep expanding upon.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #73 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
hmm, that reminds me : I haven't whined here yet.

Character copy tool is still broken. Added to the akamai piece of shit it makes checking Lamannia unpalatable.

MajMal, kick your Kobolds, they need to fix the copy tool.
recrating characters from scrach and then trying to equip them with the items they have on live is a long process that takes too much time... Time that would be best spent checking the new quests for broken things...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

arko
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:36pm:

/signed not so much halfing assasin but racial prestiges in general

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint