Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Haunted Halls posting by PurpleFooz (Read 4750 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Haunted Halls posting by PurpleFooz
Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434971-Haunted-Halls-Alpha-Preview#pos...

majmal

I just read the Haunted Halls notes by PurpleFooz. My hope counter incremented by one. I want to believe.

Nice work.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Haunted Halls posting by PurpleFooz
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
More/related:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434971-Haunted-Halls-Alpha-Preview?p=5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel  View Post
I am wondering about this as well. Get ready for LFM with "have extended unlocked or don't join". I can also see having to rerun standard over and over again because one guildy that joins the group hasn't unlocked extended yet. This mechanic makes no sense.

Turbine, if you want to gate content, make it a quest within a quest only accessible after initial quest is completed or make it like Shaagh's Helm in STK. Or make it like the optional in Feast or Famine. Or make it only accessible to lvl 28 and higher characters. Don't make us have to unlock an optional in a quest and then have to rerun the whole quest just to play that optional. This serves no practical purpose I can imagine.

PurpleFooz:
Hmm, I should probably clarify what we intend for the play modes, and what to expect from them in the future.
The standard, extended, and commentary modes are not intended as a quest flagging system. In fact, you can play the dungeon in any of the modes in order to get the same completion from the questgiver. Future quest arcs that look like the Haunted Halls play modes is not really something that makes sense to us.

The reason we made those modes available for Haunted Halls is in the spirit of creating an homage to an original D&D module. The published module corresponds to the Standard mode. After we began working we Ed, we learned of the extra content. We realized we had an opportunity to present that previously unreleased work. But just doing a single mode with only the longer extended version didn't feel right, as the point of doing this was as an homage to the published module for D&D's 40th anniversary. So we went with a separate "standard", "extended", and "commentary" formats. There are obvious similarities to "director's cut" and "commentary" features on DVDs - that's really the spirit of what we're trying to accomplish.

There's also a bit of debate on whether we should even lock the extended mode until you complete the standard mode. One of the things that led us to try it out is because the extended mode is more difficult. But that's exactly the type feedback we want from players once they get a chance to play it, and hence we are all here on Lamannia

One bit of trivia: the Haunted Halls play modes is actually a re-use of old technology. It's the same tech that you use to access Dryden's Chambers when you're in different parts of the Catacombs arc. You'll see exactly the same interface if you're in a party with another player who's at a different point of the Catacombs arc, and you both attempt to enter Dryden's Chambers.

Cool I guess?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Are they really trying to make people raid again? Was just getting really fun with the no loot, no raids, only e/tr over again for no reason.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:48pm:
Cool I guess?

Thanks for posting that link. I think his goals are very cool indeed.

I can deal with screwed up stuff, broken things, and failure in the final version a lot better if I know what the intent was, and something about the limitations that led to a decision. Corridors are getting turns because of draw distance and poly count limits, etc. Fine, that's minor and reasonable. Maybe communication is finally becoming a priority.

I can read the excitement and pride in these posts. Not like some previous quests where it felt like the B-team had just phoned it in (interminable and unending forest pathways in Detour and End of the Road, etc).

Even if it only ships with half of what he has in his head, this is a long overdue change. Try new stuff. Push the limits. Start to harvest and maximize that colossal IP base in D&D. Stop creating simply for the lowest common denominator.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:14pm:
Not like some previous quests where it felt like the B-team had just phoned it in (interminable and unending forest pathways in Detour and End of the Road, etc).

Shit I still haven't run Sable or Forge yet.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
note : It took them 5 years but Shaag's helm was removed from STK and is no directly reachable from the Steam Tunnels... there's a chest ( Loot!!! ) in the place of the quest in STK now.

This has proved that quests within quests don't work.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:05pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:05pm:
note : It took them 5 years but Shaag's helm was removed from STK and is no directly reachable from the Steam Tunnels... there's a chest ( Loot!!! ) in the place of the quest in STK now.

This has proved that quests within quests don't work.

I haven't run STK in months, did they recently remove the quest "The Sacred Helm"? Was "The Sacred Helm" originally accessed from within "Cloven Jaw Scourge" (and if so, how long ago)? I even checked the wiki and can't figure out what you mean.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:03pm:
I haven't run STK in months, did they recently remove the quest "The Sacred Helm"? Was "The Sacred Helm" originally accessed from within "Cloven Jaw Scourge" (and if so, how long ago)? I even checked the wiki and can't figure out what you mean.

Christ.  He was commenting on a change done before F2P.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:16pm:
Christ.  He was commenting on a change done before F2P.

Ahhh, thanks, that explains it. "This wine was already old when the Consuls were young"

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm:
"This whine was already old when the Consuls were young"

FTFY

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I was commenting this bit :

TractorsareEpic wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:48pm:
Turbine, if you want to gate content, make it a quest within a quest only accessible after initial quest is completed or make it like Shaagh's Helm in STK.

The Sacred Helm was removed from STK2, it's accessed directly from the Steam Tunnel now.
No more quest within quest thingie.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

RandomName
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:52pm:
Shit I still haven't run ... Forge yet.

Hah! Same here.  It's not even like I have anything against it

IP Logged

rest