Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) New end game crafting system (Read 10445 times)
Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: New end game crafting system
Reply #25 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 5:23am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 5:44pm:
Caster weapons FINALLY getting some love, so that's good.  But I hate how every new update makes everything previously released obsolete.  The latest update = best gear paradigm since MOTU is nonsense. 

Really? Those staff options suck. You can't get 2 elements. One-handers are the way to go with that system.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #26 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I'm liking the possibilities for crafting decent weapons on my monk-splashed wolf-form druid.  I just wonder about the drop rate of the ingredients to get the higher tiers.  Any number of CoV's can be had in an hour's clicking so I'm good with that, but phrases like "200 Fire Dragon Scales" worry me  Wink

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #27 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:15am:
, but phrases like "200 Fire Dragon Scales" worry me 

I'm not worried, that's not Flawless Red Dragon Scale. or worse Flawless Green Dragon Scale.

What worries me is that it's yet another unknown number of shitty collectable that will end up in the Green Bag. As if there wasn't enough thing going in that fucking green bag already.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #28 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:21am:
As if there wasn't enough thing going in that fucking green bag already.

Squirrels fucking in your green bag?

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #29 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:21am:
I'm not worried, that's not Flawless Red Dragon Scale. or worse Flawless Green Dragon Scale.

What worries me is that it's yet another unknown number of shitty collectable that will end up in the Green Bag. As if there wasn't enough thing going in that fucking green bag already.

Yes more crap to put in the green bags because they know there's so much duped crap floating around.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #30 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:13am
Print Post  
We already have two different types of dragon scales.  Regular(3 colors) Flawless(5 colors).  Why do we need a third type?  Why does that make sense?  Also with the dwarven ingots...again.  Why another ingredient?  Sigh.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #31 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:13am:
We already have two different types of dragon scales.  Regular(3 colors) Flawless(5 colors).  Why do we need a third type?  Why does that make sense?  Also with the dwarven ingots...again.  Why another ingredient?  Sigh. 

Silky wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:33am:
Yes more crap to put in the green bags because they know there's so much duped crap floating around.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #32 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Tier 3 Needs "Eternal Deafening Force"

also laughed at " (Moving will disrupt the action, but the counter will still be used). "

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I know an old coder who came up with crafting
(Sung to the tune of "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly")

I know an old coder who came up with crafting.
I don't know why he came up with crafting, perhaps it's doom.

I know an old coder who came up with Dragontouched.
He came up with Dragontouched because Greensteel was too slow
But I don't know why he came up with crafting, perhaps it's doom.

I know an old coder who came up with Incredible Potential
He came up with Incredible Potential because Dragontouched was too hard

I know an old coder who came up with Alchemical Crafting
He came up with Alchemical Crafting because Incredible Potential was too random
He came up with Incredible Potential because Dragontouched was too hard

…

Maybe somebody else can come up with more verses, I'm bored already.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #34 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:02am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:27am:
Tier 3 Needs "Eternal Deafening Force"

also laughed at " (Moving will disrupt the action, but the counter will still be used). "

I smiled at that too. It's like they're already saying, "Look, we know this function is screwed up. So, we're going to just call it WAI early this time."

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #35 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Miscellaneous Changes:

NEW: As part of our ongoing investigation into Death Effect balance, we have added the text (Moving will disrupt the action, but the counter will still be used) to many clickies and spells game wide.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #36 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 6:56pm:
Do they listen to anything their community say?
The unanimous voice said "No new system - fix and extend one of the existing ones!"

um,. no it didn't. 
The vast majority of responses in that thread said "something like greensteel"

If your statement had some sort of connection with reality they might be useful.  as it is you look pretty fucking stupid.

ps I gave my opinion and I said a "system like greensteel", so it's not unanimous

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #37 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:13am:

Why?  Let me show you why, and I'll use a pretty extreme example:
lets have these high end items made using prayer beads, you know, the ones that every other kobolds drops in the harbour. 

Oh, look you have 1000's of them already and you can make the items immediately and there is no need to run the quests relating to the items at all.

That's why new ing are necessary.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #38 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:57pm:
lets have these high end items made using prayer beads, you know, the ones that every other kobolds drops in the harbour. 

Oh, look you have 1000's of them already and you can make the items immediately and there is no need to run the quests relating to the items at all.

You forgot the bit where the devs aren't confident enough in the content they've made for it to stand alone in the store...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #39 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:57pm:

If only they could make base items that you could only find in quest.  do they have the techmology?  naaaaahhhhh.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #40 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:15am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:46pm:
If only they could make base items that you could only find in quest.  do they have the techmology?  naaaaahhhhh.

So base items drop really commonly and you get one after running 2-3 times and never go back into those quests again.  Does that sound like end game crafting succeeded in keeping you involved in the game?  Coz it don't to me.

Or base items drop infrequently (say 1% of the time time like the SoS shard) and people hate the luck of getting it, and many have to play the same mission 300 times to get their base item.  Oh and a great number of players in the end game thread said how much they disliked that. 

Or the components drop pretty frequently so you are always making progress , like say the greensteel crafting system, which the vast majority in that thread said they liked.  And the vast majority of the player base hold is the most successful crafting system in the game.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #41 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 6:06am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:54pm:
um,. no it didn't. 
The vast majority of responses in that thread said "something like greensteel"

If your statement had some sort of connection with reality they might be useful.  as it is you look pretty fucking stupid.

ps I gave my opinion and I said a "system like greensteel", so it's not unanimous

You're right, I reached too far in using the term unanimous.
You are far too important to be ignored.
I should have been more specific and said nearly everyone except Higgildypig.

Many of the comments, and those on the motherforums are saying "not another friggin system!".  Why is that if I am wrong?
Our statements are not mutually exclusive.
I was actually thinking a system like Greensteel too.  Call it Greensteel 2 for all I care, but extend Greensteel into Epic levels/endgame.
Or extend the recipes for Cannith Crafting up to 25 (this year) and then 30 next year.
The difference between the two systems is that Greensteel is simply an ingredients collection system mostly tied to a single raid (some ingredients and altars are now available outside that raid).  Turbine would need to balance access to ingredients with directing traffic to certain content.  I would guess that they would need to ensure the ingredients come from more than 1 or 2 raids.
Cannith Crafting introduced another layer of complexity calling for crafting experience to unlock recipes.  This arguably gave more depth and longevity to the system, as people had to aspire to the higher level recipes.  The counter argument is that it made it less accessible too.  The beauty is that with a bit of spit and polish the two could be updated and even co-exist.

What people are most worried about is a completely new system, with all new friggin ingredients, mechanisms and processes, that makes all other systems completely redundant.  Why?  What is the point of that?  And when the dev that codes that shiny new system leaves, it falls into disrepair like all the others.
Rather than build a new system - extend one of the more successful existing ones (which includes Greensteel). 

higgildypiggildy wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:54pm:

Go fuck yourself and stop trying to be a smartarse, it doesn't suit you.

I called it as I saw it, and it's fine that you disagree, but it would help if you engaged your brain before fingers and paused to consider what I said.
So is the new system like Greensteel as the "vast majority" wanted?  In your opinion, did Turbine listen?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #42 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:36am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 6:06am:
Many of the comments, and those on the motherforums are saying "not another friggin system!".  Why is that if I am wrong?
Our statements are not mutually exclusive.
I was actually thinking a system like Greensteel too.  Call it Greensteel 2 for all I care, but extend Greensteel into Epic levels/endgame.
Or extend the recipes for Cannith Crafting up to 25 (this year) and then 30 next year.

Personally I don't care about yet another crafting system.

We have enough ingredients and enough sources to try to tie everything in a complete and coherent system around Cannith Crafting and Greensteel.

Now the tough bit is to make Turbine see what it would do for the game.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #43 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:36am:
We have enough ingredients and enough sources to try to tie everything in a complete and coherent system around Cannith Crafting and Greensteel.

Agreed Flav. That would be my Utopian solution, but it will never happen.  So I set my sights a little lower.  Undecided

Turbine will not see enough short term profits in such a grand system re-design.  Nothing tangible to sell.

And I have to agree with some that Turbine are so paranoid about the duped ingredients that they will design a new system deliberately not to use those just to spite them.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #44 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 8:19am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:55am:
Agreed Flav. That would be my Utopian solution, but it will never happen.  So I set my sights a little lower.  Undecided

Turbine will not see enough short term profits in such a grand system re-design.  Nothing tangible to sell.

And I have to agree with some that Turbine are so paranoid about the duped ingredients that they will design a new system deliberately not to use those just to spite them.

As I said it's the tough part to make them see the short and long term profit out of it.
I've already redesigned a complete crafting system from almost scratch for a NWN PW long ago ( originally based on ATS ), so at least I have a good idea of all the impacts and how things can be tied together.

But at a toss I can see ( beside the obvious essences/crafting resources, the crafting chance potions and the Crafting XP Pots ) : Increased quality potions ( raises from normal to masterwork ), Reduced Ingredient Consumption potions ( takes less ingredients to create an item ), Item Dyes ( for armors and helms, to give them a specific color )... All Store Items.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #45 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:15am:
So base items drop really commonly and you get one after running 2-3 times and never go back into those quests again.  

Weird.  I thought the game designers could set the drop rates.  so the base items always have a common drop rate?  no matter what?  like CiTW?

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #46 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:43pm:
Weird.  I thought the game designers could set the drop rates.  so the base items always have a common drop rate?  no matter what?  like CiTW?

They set the % chance to drop.  Lets say 10%. 
There will be players who run something 100 times and NOT get the item they want with a 10% drop rate. 

Yes, that's unlikely, but given large numbers unlikely events DO happen.  That's simple basic probability theory

Think how you will feel running the same raid twice a week for a year and still not getting the item you need.  About 2 1/2 people out of every thousand will be in the position and that could be you.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #47 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:55am:

And yet they did it for Enhancements. So why not for Crafting? Not that I disagree with you, I'm just pointing out how inconsistent Turdbin is.

I'd love to see them rework, consolidate, and simplify crafting, even if it meant my stockpiles of materials and hours of grind in Cannith Crafting dropped in value. Understanding crafting shouldn't take more effort than studying for the GREs.

I wouldn't mind leaving crafting alone and focusing on content. I wouldn't mind expanding an existing system to be more useful. But adding a whole new system (and new ingredients) to the confusing jumble we already have is annoying and frustrating.

And as to not having people run the new content, well, if the content isn't interesting enough to run on it's own, making a loot grind to push people into it isn't really a winning strategy in the long run.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #48 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:49am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2014 at 6:43am:
Think how you will feel running the same raid twice a week for a year and still not getting the item you need.  About 2 1/2 people out of every thousand will be in the position and that could be you. 

been there.  done that.  gave up on Torc.  given up on eSoS.  hell about to give up on EGA.

that didn't stop people from running those raids a billion times.  so, history is against you.  players will run it if they think it is worth running.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:49am:
been there.  done that.  gave up on Torc.  given up on eSoS.  hell about to give up on EGA.

that didn't stop people from running those raids a billion times.  so, history is against you.  players will run it if they think it is worth running.

I haven't given up on ESOS and already have an EAGA... Never really tried Torc.

Now what I've utterly given up is Yellow 'Redarded Drop Rate' Dopant.
Except as 20th reward I haven't seen one in any Shroud I've done since it's in game ( 100ish, mostly full parties, mostly Elite, not one from any of the 4 chest at the end for anybody in the parties. )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint