Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Meet Your Council: Backley (Read 12601 times)
Yobai
Epic Poster

Re: Meet Your Council: Backley
Reply #50 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:56pm:
There is a problem it railroad people and kill pugs.
The idea ( from my point of view ) is to find something as rewarding ( in XP and gameplay ) but that can be chosen on a quest basis, like the old overlevel bonus was working.
( and yes I'd love it back  Roll Eyes)

so besides you and the other guy, how many PC members are anti-BB?

more importantly, how many posts does MugginsMai have in your JerrysCavern forums, and are they as cock-engorgingly-sexy as her motherforums debut was?
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:43pm by Yobai »  

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #51 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 3:35pm:
How does it railroad people?

I don't know about railroading, but BB definitely affects pugging.  Should it?  No.  Does it?  Yes.  But we should be talking about what is, not what should be.

Just as one example, I have seen LFM's up for hard runs that I have not joined because I first "needed" to run the quest on Elite ("need" being subjective here).  I don't think I'm alone in this behavior.  So at least in that respect you have less people joining PUGs, which in theory hurts the game overall.

I can only speak for myself, but if BB wasn't there I think I'd be much more likely to join hard or normal runs and therefore be in a position to potentially help out newer players.

One quick fix has already been suggested elsewhere.  Doing a hard or normal first-run could only drop your streak by one "notch" (i.e. from 5 to 4) instead of taking it all the way to 0.  So you still pay a price to join that run, but only a small one that is easily made up.

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Maybe you call tell us stories about MugginsMai and Silverleaf with the game details scrubbed out so you don't break the NDA. Just give us the crazy.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #53 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 8:21pm:
I don't know about railroading, but BB definitely affects pugging.  Should it?  No.  Does it?  Yes.  But we should be talking about what is, not what should be.

Just as one example, I have seen LFM's up for hard runs that I have not joined because I first "needed" to run the quest on Elite ("need" being subjective here).  I don't think I'm alone in this behavior.  So at least in that respect you have less people joining PUGs, which in theory hurts the game overall.

I can only speak for myself, but if BB wasn't there I think I'd be much more likely to join hard or normal runs and therefore be in a position to potentially help out newer players.

One quick fix has already been suggested elsewhere.  Doing a hard or normal first-run could only drop your streak by one "notch" (i.e. from 5 to 4) instead of taking it all the way to 0.  So you still pay a price to join that run, but only a small one that is easily made up.

See, this makes me scratch my head. I have levelled at least a heroic toon and a half sans opening privileges, and my main thing is I will  NOT post elite need opener LFMs because I will not be that guy. First life xp is so easy to come by it is not necessary. I really found it trivial to level, and I hooe not too much of a burden, (apart from the time I joined an elite von3 running genuinely not realising my latency was at the 4 second mark (don't ask) they found the humor worth the 10% Wink)

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #54 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:42pm:
so besides you and the other guy, how many PC members are anti-BB?

No Idea, we haven't started on that topic yet.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #55 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Heh, remove BB, you will kill even what's remaining of social panel.
Say it was your idea and you might find raging vets on your balcony, not just pigeons.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #56 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Dropping BB will mean all those XP nerfs will have to be undone, alongside returning the quest XP ransack/level mechanism to how it used to be, in order to try to keep vets and high value players interested.
Of course, you'll get people jumping on it as another excuse to sell otto's boxes, chai will no doubt have a field day.
Modifying it so there's less of a penalty for not streaking sounds good, but remember, Elite difficulty is substantially more difficult for a reason. An elite streak BB is hard work to keep up across lives, but also ultimately unnecessary. Who cares about missing 40% XP from the first 5 Korthos quests?
Lack of PUGs and LFM panel use isn't because Elite is too hard, it's because the time/XP way of thinking got drummed into players so hard when the grind was worse, that it's not gone away yet. The quickest and lowest risk way to level is to make sure 100% of people stepping into the dungeon know what they're doing. Easiest way to ensure that is to solo.

/rant off

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #57 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Dropping BB really fucks over players who TR.

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I love BB myself but I do think it can hurt grouping sometimes.  I like the idea about only dropping your streak down one notch. Or let you build up and "bank" some beyond 5.

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 9:31am:

Adding more half baked systems doesn't fix the root problem.  If the root problem was TRs need more XP, or the XP needed to level TRs was too much that seems like something really simple to fix.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #60 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:31am:
Heh, remove BB, you will kill even what's remaining of social panel.

Dullknife wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 8:10am:
Dropping BB will mean all those XP nerfs will have to be undone,

Yobai wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 9:31am:

Please at least consider that I have one working neuron.

- killing BB if done the right way can bring life to the social panel.
- I don't intend to just kill BB, Killing BB needs to be done while looking at the bigger scheme of things, or said another way something to replace the XP earned through BB needs to be found.

Honestly, if you were able to select for each and every quest the level of bonus ( up to the equivalent of Max BB ) without breaking any BB wouldn't it make you more willing to party up to that Normal quest that usually you would avoid but would love to do , and then go back to Max Equivalent BB on the next quest.
and also if done the right way it can bring more level of bonus... Instead of no BB, Hard BB and Elite BB we could have +10%, +20%, +30%, +40% +50%. So if you know the quest it tough instead of going the whole 50% you go only 20%, no fuss, next one is easy, go 50%.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #61 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:35pm:

- I don't intend to just kill BB, Killing BB needs to be done while looking at the bigger scheme of things, or said another way something to replace the XP earned through BB needs to be found.

Honestly, if you were able to select for each and every quest the level of bonus ( up to the equivalent of Max BB ) without breaking any BB wouldn't it make you more willing to party up to that Normal quest that usually you would avoid but would love to do , and then go back to Max Equivalent BB on the next quest.
and also if done the right way it can bring more level of bonus... Instead of no BB, Hard BB and Elite BB we could have +10%, +20%, +30%, +40% +50%. So if you know the quest it tough instead of going the whole 50% you go only 20%, no fuss, next one is easy, go 50%.

Killing BB will absolutely NOT make me more prone to run normal or hard. Nor will it make me more willing to pug.

You know what I pugged this life on my melee FvS? In The Flesh. Elite. For bravery. I wouldn't have been able to solo it, and I'm not willing to do hard or normal. If that LFM hadn't been up, I wouldn't have bothered to run it at all. If I hadn't gotten an extra 50% for the quest due to BB, I wouldn't have even bothered to hit the LFM.

I mean really it boils down not to how good of a player you are, but to knowing your limitations. Maybe that's a hallmark of a good player: knowing what they can and can't do. Or maybe I'm making excuses for being a shitty player. I don't know the answer to that one. What I DO know is that if BB didn't exist, I wouldn't bother with half of the quests I do. Once and done on elite is FAR superior to e/h/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/c the best xp/min quests like it was back in the old days.

And you'll never see a return to the old days where doing Stormcleave on elite at level 4 or Madstone on elite at 9 was a thing. They've already put in stupid level lock-outs on parties to avoid exploits, I can't imagine they'll ever go back on that and bring back the underlevel bonus.

And besides, how are underlevel bonuses any different than elite streaking? To get the best bonus, you want to be as far below the quest level as you can possibly be to get max XP. In the current state of the game, that would mean that shitty puggers join LFMs for underlevel quests and just fucking die instantly. It would likely be a much worse problem because elite BB means you're the same level as the quest, in most cases. So people wouldn't put up LFMs anymore than they currently do. Why would you take some random asshole instead of a friend/guildie/channel mate that you can rely on?

Do you really believe that bringing back the underlevel bonus would mean people would be more willing to do normal or hard? I don't think that's the case. I'd say a bigger problem than the elite streak 50% bonus is the 80% bonus for first time elite. I'm no math wizard, but 80% is more than 50%.  What was the old underlevel bonus? 10% per level? So to equal the elite BB streak bonus, you'd be doing level 6 quests at level 1. Level 13 quests at level 8. Level 16 quests at level 11. Does that sound MORE pug friendly to you? Tell me honestly.

IP Logged

Despair Squid
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  

Aww, it's really sweet that you think you'll be able to make a difference, or that your opinion somehow matters because you are part of this council. Turbine has a long history of tunnel vision and there are only a few instances of them changing something in game because of player concern, suggestion etc.

But have fun chatting about all the exciting changes you and the rest of the chosen ones want to bring to the game. Really, it's oh so entertaining to the rest of us.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #63 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:46pm:
kobold never forget! kobold remember waterworks!

Tear and C06 would be cool as well.

Stormcleave.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #64 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:52pm:
Killing BB will absolutely NOT make me more prone to run normal or hard. Nor will it make me more willing to pug.

You know what I pugged this life on my melee FvS? In The Flesh. Elite. For bravery. I wouldn't have been able to solo it, and I'm not willing to do hard or normal. If that LFM hadn't been up, I wouldn't have bothered to run it at all. If I hadn't gotten an extra 50% for the quest due to BB, I wouldn't have even bothered to hit the LFM.

I mean really it boils down not to how good of a player you are, but to knowing your limitations. Maybe that's a hallmark of a good player: knowing what they can and can't do. Or maybe I'm making excuses for being a shitty player. I don't know the answer to that one. What I DO know is that if BB didn't exist, I wouldn't bother with half of the quests I do. Once and done on elite is FAR superior to e/h/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/n/c the best xp/min quests like it was back in the old days.

And you'll never see a return to the old days where doing Stormcleave on elite at level 4 or Madstone on elite at 9 was a thing. They've already put in stupid level lock-outs on parties to avoid exploits, I can't imagine they'll ever go back on that and bring back the underlevel bonus.

And besides, how are underlevel bonuses any different than elite streaking? To get the best bonus, you want to be as far below the quest level as you can possibly be to get max XP. In the current state of the game, that would mean that shitty puggers join LFMs for underlevel quests and just fucking die instantly. It would likely be a much worse problem because elite BB means you're the same level as the quest, in most cases. So people wouldn't put up LFMs anymore than they currently do. Why would you take some random asshole instead of a friend/guildie/channel mate that you can rely on?

Do you really believe that bringing back the underlevel bonus would mean people would be more willing to do normal or hard? I don't think that's the case. I'd say a bigger problem than the elite streak 50% bonus is the 80% bonus for first time elite. I'm no math wizard, but 80% is more than 50%.  What was the old underlevel bonus? 10% per level? So to equal the elite BB streak bonus, you'd be doing level 6 quests at level 1. Level 13 quests at level 8. Level 16 quests at level 11. Does that sound MORE pug friendly to you? Tell me honestly.

I'm of the opinion, that giving reasons to keep the vets separated from the complete newbies is a good thing.  It cuts down on the vet's rage from potentially losing xp, and it cuts down on the newbie's rage for not knowing the quest, not being able to keep up, etc, etc, etc.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Reply #65 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:20pm:
See, this makes me scratch my head. I have levelled at least a heroic toon and a half sans opening privileges, and my main thing is I will  NOT post elite need opener LFMs because I will not be that guy. First life xp is so easy to come by it is not necessary. I really found it trivial to level, and I hooe not too much of a burden, (apart from the time I joined an elite von3 running genuinely not realising my latency was at the 4 second mark (don't ask) they found the humor worth the 10% Wink)

Tried reading this three times and I still honestly have no idea how this relates to what I posted.  I said nothing about first life, or needing openers.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Reply #66 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I don't think that's the case. I'd say a bigger problem than the elite streak 50% bonus is the 80% bonus for first time elite. I'm no math wizard, but 80% is more than 50%.

The big difference between these is that you only have one shot at the 50%.  If you don't get it on that first run, it's gone.  You can pick up the one-time 80% by running Elite at any time, even if you've run the quest on normal or hard.  So it doesn't make you "lose" potential XP by jumping into a normal or hard if you haven't done elite yet.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #67 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Killing BB will absolutely NOT make me more prone to run normal or hard.

Same.

You know what I pugged this life on my melee FvS? In The Flesh. Elite. For bravery. I wouldn't have been able to solo it...

You might have surprised yourself.

I was doubtful about Bravery In the Flesh, but I tried it solo anyway...and it was easier solo than most PUG runs I've done in the past for it.

(Delirium drinking contest solo, though...that was rough!  Far worse solo than even a crappy PUG.)

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #68 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 4:33pm:
(Delirium drinking contest solo, though...that was rough!  Far worse solo than even a crappy PUG.)

It's not as bad if you take an actual drink every time your toon does.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #69 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Grasp of the Earth dragon negates the stun during the drinking contest, I think?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 4:33pm:

iirc druid elem form immune to the effects, but not the damage.

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I skipped In the Flesh my last Elite BB TR life because it was such a pain. Or I should say I wiped with a Pug trying it on Elite and then said fuck it, just skip it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Xorian Cider. Earth Grasp and Elemental form should ignore the stun. It can be fort saved.

Lurp wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:47pm:
I skipped In the Flesh my last Elite BB TR life because it was such a pain. Or I should say I wiped with a Pug trying it on Elite and then said fuck it, just skip it.

The quest gets ugly if people don't know the phases and mechanics of the end fight. His wave attacks spawn more mobs if players are hit. At low health he spawns 3 cocoons at his base take them out right away or a massive aoe mind thrust hits.. Can be will saved, and spell resistance may work..

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:19pm
Print Post  

The problem is that Turbine has historical done a horrible job at this sort of thing.  Lots of people told them BB would reduce pugging options and with minor tweaks those problems could be reduced greatly, but they ignored anything that was not a "I love it" response as usual and we got what we got.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #74 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:27am
Print Post  
[...]

Oh dear... Where did I say underlevel bonus ?
Yeah I know I've posted numerous time that if we kill BB we should go to that.
That's because it kills two stones at the same time : it keeps the powahgameh busy and it solves the problems brought by the Bravery bonus.
Now I'm open to any suggestion, that will works and that is defined on a quest by quest basis with a wider range of bonus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint