Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) turbine layoffs (Read 122707 times)
geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Re: turbine layoffs
Reply #100 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Like I said, it doesn't look like it is supposed to be public, and isn't the kind of news I like to share.

I found it. You can too.

On the plus side, if the list is right (and it seems to be, one of the people on it just confirmed via twitter), this is not DOoooooomM.

But it is still a very lousy day. For everyone involved. Sad

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #101 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:59pm:
Still here. i leave when they pull the plug on the hamster wheel.
DDO still kicking.

Whoa dude. You better jump ship fast, everyone knows ddo is headed to maint mode. Unless you seriously dont know or are showing your semi-public game face? The fact you are still working on turbines red headed stepchild should indicate how much they value your worth. 

Edit: I noticed you said ddo was still kicking but skillfully avoiding saying alive. you do know  Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:35pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Reply #102 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Apparently it is not a complete list; it just grew to 16. So maybe it is still DOoooooooOM after all.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Just share the link.

IP Logged

a Kitteh
DQ Assaulter

lolwut?

Reply #104 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
i wanna see if i know anyone Sad

Grace wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
When a quest thinks you are so bad you need to reroll, that's srsbznz.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #105 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
DragonsRus wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
WOW your a piece of work, you know how to post here but can't post in your forums. Shows whats wrong with the game when its own leader can't talk on its own forums.

Settle down 4 post boy he posts here in sunshine and rain. The others won't even post here on the sunniest of days. Who gives a fuck about the mother forums. This is the forum they should be at anyways.

P.S. I would go VIP again in exchange for Jerry getting a  pink slip.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #106 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
geoffhanna wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:23pm:
Like I said, it doesn't look like it is supposed to be public, and isn't the kind of news I like to share.

I found it. You can too.

On the plus side, if the list is right (and it seems to be, one of the people on it just confirmed via twitter), this is not DOoooooomM.

But it is still a very lousy day. For everyone involved. Sad

You're finding layoff lists, but you can't find the rag armor vendor in wheloon? Geoff, you noob!

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #107 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:22pm:
...and is anyone else thinking that FoS got real lucky with the timing of his departure?

I doubt luck had anything to do with it.  and I think if he thought Turbine was going tits up instead of just a round of layoffs, I think he would have hinted at a lot more than he did in his last few posts.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #108 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #109 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I've said it before. There's no more than about 5k people on DDO at peak times.

Assumptions:

avg play time 3hours
Avg times per week: 3?
avg people on 4k

= Ballpark player base of 75k

Avg $ per month spent $10? 20?

= 750k a month? 1.5 mil a month?

That's actually a little better than I thought.

Any thoughts on those assumptions?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Reply #110 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:00pm:
You're finding layoff lists, but you can't find the rag armor vendor in wheloon? Geoff, you noob!

No one can dispute my utter noobishness, certainly not I.

The list is up to 18, still only one definite DDOer, plus one that was in DDO but had already moved to IC last year.

I can't translate most of these names to teams unless they had it in their LinkedIn profile or somewhere.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #111 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
lotro producer chick got the axe
https://twitter.com/hannanimal/status/433756274757734401

long time (9 years) lotro dev got the axe
https://twitter.com/amlugDev/status/433712115674017792

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #112 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
Any thoughts on those assumptions?

They're pretty, uh, baseless.

IP Logged

SolarDawning
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
DDO developers laid off were Melange, ChainsawGolem, and TheRockingDead. All three were content designers, and are friends of mine.

TheRockingDead had been working on DDO for a long time. He made Rainbow in the Dark.

With them gone, there's four content designers left working on DDO. (Steel, DocOct, and two whom may not have forum names to my knowledge)
I'm not counting PurpleFooz because he's the lead designer.

There were some cuts related to DDO that were not design positions, as well.

So Maj is right that it's not half the developers. Three is still a big hit out of a development team as small as DDO's, though. I hope everything works out, and that all of my friends who lost their jobs today are able to land on their feet and find awesome new opportunities.

To my knowledge, the layoffs were sudden. No-one had any idea they were coming until it started with layoffs of temp employees last week.

As someone who has survived through Turbine layoffs before, I can tell you that it's a pretty stressful procedure. They ask everyone to sit at their desk and wait for an e-mail telling you if you still have your job or not. I don't envy anyone at Turbine right now. It must have been a pretty awful day.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:49pm by SolarDawning »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #114 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:47pm:
DDO developers laid off were Melange, ChainsawGolem, and TheRockingDead. All three were content designers, and are friends of mine.

TheRockingDead had been working on DDO for a long time. He made Rainbow in the Dark.

With them gone, there's four content designers left working on DDO. (Steel, DocOct, and two whom may not have forum names to my knowledge)
I'm not counting PurpleFooz because he's the lead designer.

So Maj is right that it's not half the developers. Three is still a big hit out of a development team as small as DDO's, though. I hope everything works out, and that all of my friends who lost their jobs today are able to land on their feet and find awesome new opportunities.

To my knowledge, the layoffs were sudden. No-one had any idea they were coming until it started with layoffs of temp employees last week.

As someone who has survived through Turbine layoffs before, I can tell you that it's a pretty stressful procedure. They ask everyone to sit at their desk and wait for an e-mail telling you if you still have your job or not. I don't envy anyone at Turbine right now. It must have been a pretty awful day.

Welcome back.  Sad news for all.  I hope things work out okay for everyone.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #115 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
RockingDead... damn. He was one of the Devs I had mountains of respect for.  Cry

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Reply #116 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
And now 20. Lots of QA, several content and system designers, a producer, and a production manager. Rocking Dead was the only one I could match to a DDO name I knew.

Now that we have the definitive list from SolarDawning, I will retire back to Vault lurking status.

Layoff day sucks. Sad
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:59pm by geoffhanna »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #117 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
geoffhanna wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:54pm:
And now 20. Lots of QA, several contest and system designers, a producer, and a production manager. Rocking Dead was the only one I could match to a DDO name I knew.

Now that we have the definitive list from SolarDawning, I will retire back to Vault lurking status.

Layoff day sucks. Sad

No Geoff share your secrets!

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #118 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Rainbow is my favourite vale quest too. RIP RockingDead.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #119 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:58pm:
Rainbow is my favourite vale quest too. RIP RockingDead.

isn't it funny how they can get rid of good content designers like Rockingdead but can't get rid of incompetent fuckmuppets like tolero and cordovan?

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Reply #120 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
RIP Melange. When asked about her favorite thing that she did for DDO she said:

It’s hard to pin-point one specific favorite thing, but if I were to try, I suppose it would be the Campaign System. It was my first task that I feel I had complete “ownership” on – it was a new feature that I was building up from scratch with the engineers. Personally, I think it turned out really well. I remember getting excited when people started talking positively about it in Korthos. I hope it is still a positive feature in your eyes.

IP Logged

Crell
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #121 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
geoffhanna wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:54pm:
And now 20. Lots of QA, several content and system designers, a producer, and a production manager. Rocking Dead was the only one I could match to a DDO name I knew.

Layoff day sucks. Sad

I really wish I could associate more of the names I'm seeing  (with +Handles or teams. It's ...very very sad to watch the list grow slowly as more people find their way there..) even when you're not interacting with these people every day. Especially when you're wondering about particular staffers and only knew them by an +handle. They've made a huge impact on these games I love, and I wish them all the best.

IP Logged

geoffhanna
Korthos Resident

Default Catchphrase

Reply #122 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
RIP Rocking Dead. His favorite thing(s) he worked on for DDO:

This is a three-way tie for me:

I am still very proud of the Rainbow in the Dark dungeon. To me, it encapsulates the feeling of a classic dungeon crawl. It’s dark, expansive, tricky, and very deadly. There’s a good mix of monsters, traps, and puzzles. On top of that, it encourages good teamwork. This is a dungeon that I’ve had fun converting to a pen and paper D&D experience, and you’d be surprised how well it holds up.

“In the Flesh” also stands out in my mind, because I created a memorable boss character. Yaulthoon was ultra-creepy, yet oddly endearing. The combination of writing and voice work really brought him to life. I like the overall vibe of the level: skulking around someone’s home who is most definitely not from around Stormreach – someone who is simultaneously preparing their finest tribute to their lord and master. Macabre displays come to life with little warning. I enjoy the feeling of tension throughout it, and the fact that you’ve got this boss that knows the player is there and is so confident in his abilities that he slings passive-aggressive taunts at them the entire time. Couple that with what I feel is one of my favorite boss fights in the game. The whole quest is such a delicious mix of malevolence, lightheartedness, and creep-factor.

Lastly, I am really proud of the Random Encounter system we shipped with Menace of the Underdark. To my knowledge, there are not any other MMOs before us that had the sort of randomized dynamic content that we have now. Sure, there have been random roving monsters in MMOs, but many of our Random Encounters are like mini-quests. With this system, I was able to make some really unique sets of encounters. Whether it’s finding out that a lost villager isn’t what she seems, or saving a Purple Dragon Knight from a grisly undead fate, players are always kept on their toes.

While I worked on the majority of Random Encounters in the King’s Forest, one of my favorites is still Veraxiena, the Green Dragon from the “Deal with a Dragon” encounter. Being that Green Dragons are notorious wheelers and dealers and naturally curious, I had a lot of fun with her dialogue. I figured that particularly savvy players would enjoy being able to outwit a Dragon or otherwise encouraging it to help them.

Sorry I don't have anything for ChainsawGolem.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:47pm:

Jerry?

IP Logged

arko
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:14pm:
Jerry?

QA most likely

IP Logged