Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) turbine layoffs (Read 122776 times)
kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Re: turbine layoffs
Reply #125 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
geoffhanna wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:12pm:
RIP Rocking Dead. His favorite thing(s) he worked on for DDO:

“In the Flesh” also stands out in my mind, because I created a memorable boss character. Yaulthoon was ultra-creepy, yet oddly endearing. The combination of writing and voice work really brought him to life. I like the overall vibe of the level: skulking around someone’s home who is most definitely not from around Stormreach – someone who is simultaneously preparing their finest tribute to their lord and master. Macabre displays come to life with little warning. I enjoy the feeling of tension throughout it, and the fact that you’ve got this boss that knows the player is there and is so confident in his abilities that he slings passive-aggressive taunts at them the entire time. Couple that with what I feel is one of my favorite boss fights in the game. The whole quest is such a delicious mix of malevolence, lightheartedness, and creep-factor.

I just had a sad.

In the Flesh is one of my favourite quests in the game.

Rockingdead if you are reading this: fuck turbine for firing you, you made amazing quests and I genuinely hope you find an amazing new job at a superior company.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #126 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Yeah Yalthoon is a great end-boss. RIP RockingDead

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #127 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
That quest chain in its entirety has always been my favourite.

First time in the last quest? I had fucking chills up my spine, it was a truly amazing quest......

And before they nerfed the difficulty of that quest it had a great difficulty level......not complete-able at level by most, but occasionally done (at least from my experience of pugging it pre-u20.....now it is easy) and when you did complete it felt epic.

I HAVE A SAD.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #128 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
arko wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:17pm:
QA most likely

Its not like they were busy stamping out bugs anyway... so probably a good move.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #129 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
When they:
-Changed EPs
-Announced lvl 30 would the final level cap
-Starting pumping out a ridiculous amount of end game content (HH, 2 new raids)
-Started to pretend to care about player opinions
-Shut down ML (read: dev resources)

The writing is, and has been on the wall that something pivotal was in the pipe.

Sadly, it turned out to be layoffs. Best wishes to all those laid off today, and i hope you fond gainful employment soon.

The only question remaining is: whats the next 12 months at Turbine look like?

-is this the skeleton crew who after this big content push will remain on to janitor/docent DDO into a tasteful slow burn death? Or will there more likely be another purge once U21/22 hit?
-is this a clever ruse and DDO is actually mere months from its death?
-Will they merge servers and make a go of it with a smaller team?

I don't believe DDO isn't making money. I think DDO pulls in the 6-7 figures every month. But, thats only really enough to support 4-6 full-time people if its true, hence the lay-offs.

Anyway, this is definitely the downward slope of the bell graph for DDO. The question is just how along it are we already.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #130 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:50pm
Print Post  

[i]This is a three-way tie for me:

Wow.. That's all quality stuff. That's a BIG loss.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #131 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:36pm:
When they:
-Changed EPs
-Announced lvl 30 would the final level cap
-Starting pumping out a ridiculous amount of end game content (HH, 2 new raids)
-Started to pretend to care about player opinions
-Shut down ML (read: dev resources)

The writing is, and has been on the wall that something pivotal was in the pipe.

Sadly, it turned out to be layoffs. Best wishes to all those laid off today, and i hope you fond gainful employment soon.

The only question remaining is: whats the next 12 months at Turbine look like?

-is this the skeleton crew who after this big content push will remain on to janitor/docent DDO into a tasteful slow burn death? Or will there more likely be another purge once U21/22 hit?
-is this a clever ruse and DDO is actually mere months from its death?
-Will they merge servers and make a go of it with a smaller team?

I don't believe DDO isn't making money. I think DDO pulls in the 6-7 figures every month. But, thats only really enough to support 4-6 full-time people if its true, hence the lay-offs.

Anyway, this is definitely the downward slope of the bell graph for DDO. The question is just how along it are we already.

You can tell that we're on the "downward slope" just from the last login numbers we had. We've been on the slope for a long time. But DDO is old, not a lot to do about it.

According to FoS three content designers were laid off (as well as misc. staff) and now there's four+the lead left. But there's still tons of other positions still filled. I really don't think it's as massive a layoff as people were saying it is, the 50% number was from some anonymous dude on some website. They're hardly being left with a "skeleton crew."

My prediction: fucking nothing will change. Updates will still get released as slowly or as quickly as they have been lately, and they'll still be as low or high quality as they have been. DDO will still get updates for several years. Even Asheron's Call, which is like a thousand years old, still gets updates and it's existing on a cult following alone.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:53pm by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #132 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:39pm:
They're pretty, uh, baseless.

No sir. I have checked several times to see total players online. So, that's a solid ballpark figure. The rest I am extrapolating from my own experience. Though there was an article about WoW a while back that said avg spent is like $40 per month. But I doubt that figure holds true for DDO.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #133 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:36pm:
I think DDO pulls in the 6-7 figures every month. But, thats only really enough to support 4-6 full-time people if its true, hence the lay-offs.

That would put turbines income from ddo at approx 10mil/year. You do realise that would be about half of turbines entire revenue. cut your estimates in half and try again please  Grin

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #134 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:58pm
Print Post  

This is a three-way tie for me:

I am still very proud of the Rainbow in the Dark dungeon. To me, it encapsulates the feeling of a classic dungeon crawl. It’s dark, expansive, tricky, and very deadly. There’s a good mix of monsters, traps, and puzzles. On top of that, it encourages good teamwork. This is a dungeon that I’ve had fun converting to a pen and paper D&D experience, and you’d be surprised how well it holds up.

“In the Flesh” also stands out in my mind, because I created a memorable boss character. Yaulthoon was ultra-creepy, yet oddly endearing. The combination of writing and voice work really brought him to life. I like the overall vibe of the level: skulking around someone’s home who is most definitely not from around Stormreach – someone who is simultaneously preparing their finest tribute to their lord and master. Macabre displays come to life with little warning. I enjoy the feeling of tension throughout it, and the fact that you’ve got this boss that knows the player is there and is so confident in his abilities that he slings passive-aggressive taunts at them the entire time. Couple that with what I feel is one of my favorite boss fights in the game. The whole quest is such a delicious mix of malevolence, lightheartedness, and creep-factor.

Lastly, I am really proud of the Random Encounter system we shipped with Menace of the Underdark. To my knowledge, there are not any other MMOs before us that had the sort of randomized dynamic content that we have now. Sure, there have been random roving monsters in MMOs, but many of our Random Encounters are like mini-quests. With this system, I was able to make some really unique sets of encounters. Whether it’s finding out that a lost villager isn’t what she seems, or saving a Purple Dragon Knight from a grisly undead fate, players are always kept on their toes.

While I worked on the majority of Random Encounters in the King’s Forest, one of my favorites is still Veraxiena, the Green Dragon from the “Deal with a Dragon” encounter. Being that Green Dragons are notorious wheelers and dealers and naturally curious, I had a lot of fun with her dialogue. I figured that particularly savvy players would enjoy being able to outwit a Dragon or otherwise encouraging it to help them.

Sorry I don't have anything for ChainsawGolem.

Too me these are the kinds of people you want to keep around, what are they left with now?  Sad

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #135 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:53pm:
Though there was an article about WoW a while back that said avg spent is like $40 per month. But I doubt that figure holds true for DDO.

one is subscription, the other f2p. I agree with your characters logged in counts.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #136 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:58pm:
That would put turbines income from ddo at approx 10mil/year. You do realise that would be about half of turbines entire revenue. cut your estimates in half and try again please  Grin

10mil is 8 figures.

you know 1 0 , 0 0 0 , 0 0 0

8 numbers.

6-7 fingers is more like 750k to 1.5 mil.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #137 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:14pm:
Jerry?

nah didn't see hendrik sobbing on the mother boards so unlikely............I mean he would be the first to know right?

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #138 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:58pm:
Too me these are the kinds of people you want to keep around, what are they left with now?  Sad

The guys who didn't design this caliber material for the game.

Undecided

R.D. was awesome. The more this sinks in, the more bummed out I am over it.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #139 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:02pm:
10mil is 8 figures.

you know 1 0 , 0 0 0 , 0 0 0

8 numbers.

6-7 fingers is more like 750k to 1.5 mil.

I said 6-7 figures a month Kierg, if its 7 a month, that would be over 10mil.

Where are these login numbers? I feel like DDO could be half of Turbines revenue. LOTRO is teh_lame does anyone play it?

What else do they have? AC? That probably makes a small amount over its maintenance cost.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #140 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:53pm:
No sir. I have checked several times to see total players online. So, that's a solid ballpark figure. The rest I am extrapolating from my own experience. Though there was an article about WoW a while back that said avg spent is like $40 per month. But I doubt that figure holds true for DDO.

Here you can look at some data to get a more accurate estimate: http://www.newzoo.com/press-releases/globalcollect-and-newzoo-join-forces-to-pro...

• 78% of 22 million Turkish gamers, play games on social networks: 17.2 million people.
• 47% of 12 million Polish gamers play MMO games: 5.5 million people
• More than 25% of Turkish social network gamers has spent money on these games
• 1.9 million Polish gamers spend money in free-to-play MMO games.
• 400-500$ million spent on computer games, 21% spent on MMOs. 

Make some assumptions and extrapolate to U.S. demographic.  I await your dissertation.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #141 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:04pm:

Undecided

There hasn't been much good content since Epic GH which doesn't count because it already existed so really since MoTU which had a lot of content but it wasn't super great. Ditto Druids, Highroad, and Shadowfell.

So, while they were some great designers, for one reason or another they weren't designing great content for a couple years now. Maybe it was from people managing them, or maybe they rab out of ideas though i dpubt it.

I think mostly youre just seeing the result of DDO moving toward less content delivery, and more game engine tweaking and end game adjustments with Lvl 30, more raids, ED expansions, etc. they might add a new class, or more iconics.

The point is a big content push now, then a lot of bug/new system/update stuff for the rest of the year, i think. I think once 2015 rolls around, we'll have DDO in its AC-like maintenance mode for the rest of its life with some small regular little updates and bug fixes. Maybe new items.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #142 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:08pm:
Where are these login numbers? I feel like DDO could be half of Turbines revenue. LOTRO is teh_lame does anyone play it?

LotRO and DDO
You're giving DDO far too much credit.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #143 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
TheRockingDead is a huge loss, one of the few remaining early devs who hadn't been pulled for a secret project. He will he missed.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #144 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:22pm:
...and is anyone else thinking that FoS got real lucky with the timing of his departure?

I bet he saw it coming. If he had been laid off it would of killed his ego and probably made his co-workers day. Especially after all his shit talking about good people not getting let go during the last Turbine layoff-a-go-go. I have worked with asshats like him in the past. People like that have all the answers even as they are making even bigger problems out of existing problems. Now that he has moved on I am betting he will be talking all kind of shit about his old coworkers and Turdine.

IP Logged

DDoDerp
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #145 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
he's already thrown several of his former coworkers under the bus here.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #146 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
I've said it before. There's no more than about 5k people on DDO at peak times.

Assumptions:

avg play time 3hours
Avg times per week: 3?
avg people on 4k

= Ballpark player base of 75k

Avg $ per month spent $10? 20?

= 750k a month? 1.5 mil a month?

That's actually a little better than I thought.

Any thoughts on those assumptions?

youf assumptions you makes an ass out of "u" and "mp-t ions"  and that's as positive as I can be about that.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Robairee
Korthos Resident

Message Epoch for Fire
Cave details!

Reply #147 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 1:34am
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:19pm:
In the Flesh is one of my favourite quests in the game.

In the flesh blows.  I don't understand how anyone can like that quest.  Rainbow is still awesome and random encounters were a great idea.  Too bad half of them are bugged and can't be completed.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #148 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:04pm:

Undecided

Agreed 200%.  Huge fucking loss for all of us.  Bad call Turbine.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #149 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Robairee wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 1:34am:
In the flesh blows.  I don't understand how anyone can like that quest. 

It's the awesome hidden optionals.

Seriously, when it first came out, that swim was risky on elite, as was the scorpion when i came up.

the air jet pillars are quite a neat obstacle.

I loved seeing dead pixel the first time.

The boss fight is still one of the best ones now, the pods mechanic was brilliant.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Send TopicPrint