Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question(s) about connection. (Read 5653 times)
Cynic Rhodes
Waterworks Kobold

Why fix it if its already
sunk.

Question(s) about connection.
Feb 23rd, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I am away for work 2 weeks out of 3 and every time i'm away i need to log in twice to be able to play at all. The first time i log in i always get the red symbol of death then the connection to the server is lost.

On second try the loading is faster and everything is fine ish.

I'm wondering if it is on my end or provider or Turby? And of course also wondering if it is preventable at all.

“Most Americans are close to total ignorance about the world. They are ignorant. That is an unhealthy condition in a country in which foreign policy has to be endorsed by the people if it is to be pursued. And it makes it much more difficult for any president to pursue an intelligent policy that does justice to the complexity of the world.”
― Zbigniew Brzezinski

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Re: Question(s) about connection.
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
No, this has been an ongoing issue, there are ways around it, the easiest of which is getting DDO Preloader, ill find a link and edit this with it, Takes care of most Log-In related issues, as well as most zone crashes. Ive been using it since its release date, and have never had issues since. unless i forget to load the game with it first... xD

Edited:
Some people also use the Pylotro client to load DDO, im not a user of it, so couldnt tell you where to obtain, or how to use, it. ask someone else... i know Backley uses it. as do a few others.

Edited:
Edit 2 Cheesy : Preloader can be found  Here
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:03am by Vendui »  

IP Logged

RandomName
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Ever since I started using the preloader I've never had a bum login.  I can't say for sure whether it has any effect on zoning crashes, but they certainly aren't more frequent with it.

IP Logged

Cynic Rhodes
Waterworks Kobold

sunk.

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Thanks Olath, i will not be able to tell if it works or not yet since i logged in already today and i'm flying back home tomorrow morning but i'm hopeful.

Also, i never lag at home unless the whole server is lagging but when i'm away, as soon as aoe's are activated i start lagging heavily.
Interestingly enough i get faster, much faster download speed from something like TPB when i'm away on my so so laptop.
ELI5 ish please  Smiley

“Most Americans are close to total ignorance about the world. They are ignorant. That is an unhealthy condition in a country in which foreign policy has to be endorsed by the people if it is to be pursued. And it makes it much more difficult for any president to pursue an intelligent policy that does justice to the complexity of the world.”
― Zbigniew Brzezinski

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Also getting a SSD fixes this. 

My game was originally installed on a HDD and i used to have these issues. 
I looked up a program that can move installed programs from one disk to another and used it to move DDO to my SSD so i don't have to go through the hassle to uninstall, reinstall and redownload the whole game again.

No connection issue so far and not using Preloader.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:38am by Halfmaniac »  

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Been using an SSD for years now and I never had this problem.

In case I'm not being clear, I think the SSD is the reason I haven't had the problem.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:48am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Cynic Rhodes
Waterworks Kobold

sunk.

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Could i be getting a small external solid state for online games and keep utilizing my hdd for documents and files?
A big ssd is a tad pricey.

― Zbigniew Brzezinski

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
SSDs are dirt cheap actually, $0.50/GB or less. 240GB is ~$120.

I have SSDs for my desktop/laptop and my music/videos/etc on a network server with mirrored huge HDDs. That's the way to go IMO.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Cynic Rhodes wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:10pm:
Could i be getting a small external solid state for online games and keep utilizing my hdd for documents and files?
A big ssd is a tad pricey.

You will really want an SSD for online games. I can tell you it will help with ddo, lotro, eve, poe, gw2, nwo, ect ect.

IP Logged

Cynic Rhodes
Waterworks Kobold

sunk.

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Alright i' ll think about it.

― Zbigniew Brzezinski

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:47am:
Been using an SSD for years now and I never had this problem.

In case I'm not being clear, I think the SSD is one of the reasons I haven't had the problem.

It's not a single reason...

I'm hit by the dual login problem on my work laptop ( I5, W7 64b, 4Gb Ram, Intel Graphics, slow HDD. )
I'm not hit byt the dual login on my main computer ( Pentium D920, 4Gb RAM, W7 64b, Radeon 7850, 7200rpm HDD + 3 SSD  ) even when it was on the old configuration (  Pentium D920, 2Gb RAM, W XP, Radeon 7850, 7200rpm HDD ), though I had crashes at the usual transitions for that.
( I don't crash anymore now )

from my point of view it's something linked to the DAT file fragmentation ( yes they are fragmented despite what Turbine says ),  the DAT file size, the HDD speed, the graphic card capacity and the processor.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

shadowgate
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Anyone know if there is a time the issue started? Just curious what they managed to screw up to cause this pretty common issue. The poor steam folk complain of it often and it's probably costing them players.

I have been on an SSD the last few years and never experienced the issue but I used to play on a much crappier computer with a normal harddrive during the first 2-3 years of the game and I can't recall ever experiencing it then.

IP Logged

Robairee
Korthos Resident

Message Epoch for Fire
Cave details!

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 2:25pm:
from my point of view it's something linked to the DAT file fragmentation ( yes they are fragmented despite what Turbine says ),  the DAT file size, the HDD speed, the graphic card capacity and the processor.

The reasons are pretty well documented in the preloader thread on the mother forums.  That guy even included his code to help turbine fix the issue, but it's turbine... even with someone else writing good code, they can't make it work.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
shadowgate wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:18pm:
. The poor steam folk complain of it often and it's probably costing them players. 

vaporware is bad. People should avoid it. If they are using vaporware and have the problem tell them to try to install DDO without the vaporware.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
One more time...vaporware.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:38am:

I looked up a program that can move installed programs from one disk to another and used it to move DDO to my SSD so i don't have to go through the hassle to uninstall, reinstall and redownload the whole game again.

you went through all that trouble of using a program to move crap from one disk to another... instead of just shoving the file over to a flash drive... or even straight to the SSD.. I went to a flash drive about.. 3 years ago, all i did, was located the turbine folder in programs... grabbed a hold of it.. gave it a yank.. and threw it at the flash drive.. have been running from it since without any issues.. (3.0 drive/port loads faster than the standard HDD)

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:38am:

[edit - Ninja'd]. Smiley

You don't need to reinstall - you can just copy the directory.  Handy if you want to play from USB stick on different machines.  Also good if you have multiple machines running it.
Not so much of an issue now as you can multi-box from one client.
Reinstall everything occasionally is good maintenance on the data files though.  Although some speculate that the installed files are already a mess.....  Undecided

SSD definitely made a difference for me.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:38am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:50am
Print Post  
As many others mentioned.
SSD was a life changer for DDO. Game loads in a few secs and no freezes/crashes during zoning in also.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 8:04am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:35am:
Although some speculate that the installed files are already a mess.....  Undecided

If they are not a mess from a fresh download, they will be after the mandatory update to get the game to the current revision.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:57am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:35am:
Not so much of an issue now as you can multi-box from one client.

how?

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:09am:
you went through all that trouble of using a program to move crap from one disk to another... instead of just shoving the file over to a flash drive... or even straight to the SSD.. I went to a flash drive about.. 3 years ago, all i did, was located the turbine folder in programs... grabbed a hold of it.. gave it a yank.. and threw it at the flash drive.. have been running from it since without any issues.. (3.0 drive/port loads faster than the standard HDD)

I didn't have much trouble though, it moved the files as fast as the regular moving/copy-paste technique.  The program is meant to move files and redirect registries, i was mainly concerned about that.  Every program works differently, i used to do it like you with other games and programs and get a lot of issues.  Better safe than sorry.

But now i know it works this way with DDO, thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:24pm by Halfmaniac »  

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
pape wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:57am:
how?

Start Launcher, click on the little down arrow, select options and tick the allow multiple game instances checkbox.
Close and you're set.

the Vault is not what it used to be, now we have to explain obvious WAI tricks ( and coded that way )....

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:00pm:
Start Launcher, click on the little down arrow, select options and tick the allow multiple game instances checkbox.
Close and you're set.

the Vault is not what it used to be, now we have to explain obvious WAI tricks ( and coded that way )....

The vault was never "what it used to be". Nothing ever is. Looking back everything was either utterly amazing or absolutely hat-shittingly bad.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:00pm:
Close and you're set.

thanks for the info, much appreciated

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:21pm:
I didn't have much trouble though, it moved the files as fast as the regular moving/copy-paste technique.  The program is meant to move files and redirect registries, i was mainly concerned about that.  Every program works differently, i used to do it like you with other games and programs and get a lot of issues.  Better safe than sorry.

But now i know it works this way with DDO, thanks for the tip.

Except, DDO has no Registry requirements, it is virually a stand-alone client.. capable of running from any source, even via wireless USB.. XD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint