Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) looks like Rowan's gone . . . (Read 22473 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: looks like Rowan's gone . . .
Reply #100 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 12:59am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 9th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
She has over a decade in MMO's two or 3 of them on this game, a couple on my favorite MMO ever, and yes she plays. She doesn't like spotlight that is why you don't know her.
If you looked me up you would see all sorts of weird shit- Television, regular software,Coach,lead designer of a digital non-linear editor, NCAA sports...but I too have 10000 hours in this game stuff. No one over 30 in this industry has a 'game degree' we all came from elsewhere. If you think that all our collective experiences don't have any input into creating experiences...that is when you end up with "dry ass game number 17". Trust me I pull on film processes all the time. Personally I rather have developers and testers that are not 'uber gamerz' and have some real education in psych, philosophy, lit, and other liberal arts. I've hired a mechanic, a librarian, a submarine driver, a sound engineer, a pilot and game degree kids. No one that admits their favorite art is game art, or they only listen to game music. No one who has no other hobbies. Just like film you need to experience life to make good art. For example nothing makes me groan more than having to explain J. Campbell to a budding designer of videogames..at least I have a videohttp://youtu.be/yZxs_jGN7Pg to explain it with puppets.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #101 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 1:27am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 12:59am:

Lol...

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #102 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 2:16am
Print Post  
She has over a decade in MMO's two or 3 of them on this game, a couple on my favorite MMO ever, and yes she plays. She doesn't like spotlight that is why you don't know her.
No one over 30 in this industry has a 'game degree' we all came from elsewhere. If you think that all our collective experiences don't have any input into creating experiences...

Blah blah blah (but accurate).

The problem with the profile is that work is not a career one: I see twins in April - means a lot of off-time - and wanting to go to plays but not enough about playing the game or a love of work. The passion is not the success of the game or the company - it is to own their own drama studio.
When I was in a position of "power", I was constantly in the loop and working. I never took vacation (was always cashed out). My career was top priority and family was second. When I made the decision to put my family first, I got out of that rat race so I can spend the time with my family.

Just sounds more like a maintenance caretaker than a development producer.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #103 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Personally I rather have developers and testers that are not 'uber gamerz' and have some real education in psych, philosophy, lit, and other liberal arts. I've hired a mechanic, a librarian, a submarine driver, a sound engineer, a pilot and game degree kids

As pointed out by Arko previously, I admit that what I pulled out of my brief search birthed a conclusion not based on the full picture. 

Please provide an example where one of the above created a system or encounter or feature that the DDO player population absolutely loved.  How many of the above actually played D&D before working on the Online game?

Would you say that the Shadowfall Conspiracy is closer to great gaming, or closer to Dry Ass expansion number 17?

Who would be more apt to discover a bag duping bug, the uber gamer or the philosophy major?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #104 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I've hired a mechanic, a librarian, a submarine driver, a sound engineer, a pilot and game degree kids.

With that reasoning, could you please hire a mcdonalds drive through teller to replace cordovan.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #105 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 3:50am
Print Post  
For example nothing makes me groan more than having to explain J. Campbell to a budding designer of videogames..

Go go Hero with a Thousand Faces...
Now can I have a cheap consulting job that doesn't require me to move. I have 18 years of experience in the gaming industry, you probably have had lunch with Ed, I can't say that. Bob, Gary, Margaret, Steve - yes. I do miss Gary, he was a nice guy. Greenwood would be a nice addition however.

Er, just wait your laying off.
NM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint