Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Rowan abandoned ship. (Read 20387 times)
Hathorian
Waterworks Kobold

blah

Re: Rowan abandoned ship.
Reply #50 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:45am:
Don't depend on that much. There are several people here that don't play DDO regularly anymore.

And they have nothing better to do in their life than log into a forum and read/post about DDO?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #51 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:39am:
FoS is gone from ddo, if this is Rowan's doing he gets an A for effort from me!

Yup.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #52 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Hathorian wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:48am:
And they have nothing better to do in their life than log into a forum and read/post about DDO?

OR.

They log in here to continue to chat with the friends/enemies they've made over the years, and to create new relationships based on shared interests and experiences.

Y'know, like every other online community.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I'm going to date myself really frelling badly here.   I don't post here often but have been lurking since basically day one.

As one of the lucky few chosen in the first round of Alpha in May of 2005 I have seen too much.   I installed the Alpha client on May 9, 2005, that's a long long time ago.    Heck back then we didn’t refer to DDO as DDO is was DDS or D-DOS.  Ah the days, when Irestone Inlet, Stormcleave, and Tempest Spine were the “raids” in the game.

Judith got a raw deal.   
Kate made my head spin
Fernando was supposed to be a care taker
Aaron well, I am not sure, ...
Now we have Athena.

Judith Hoffman was the original Executive Producer of DDO:Stormreach back from conception to release.   She was moved, I mean promoted, right at launch to be Director of International Operations or some such title.   The game suffered from unrealistic expectations from Atari (5 Million monthly subscribers) and the usual lack of unwillingness to put resources into addressing some critical problems.   Ladder Bug, Faulty AI, Unbalanced Classes, sound familiar.    I remember pleading with Judy and the other Devs at the time that the AI was broken and Ranged Attacks were too powerful, it took weeks/months of persuasion to have them get into the game with me and watch as I stood on breakable and mow down mobs who’s AI was so broken they couldn’t move once they realized they couldn’t make a path to my character.   That same pathing problem pokes it head up in LOTRO and now the mobs get “???” and invulnerability, I chuckle.   

When Judy was “promoted” Kate Paiz was promoted to Senior Producer and by default the leading the game as the other producer was Staurt Zissu (man I hope I spelled his name right). 
In Jan 2008 Fernando becomes the Executive Producer and Kate is responsible for the F2P design for DDO:Ebberon Unlimited.  Kate Moves to LOTRO in 2010.

I don’t think people give Kate enough credit for keeping the game alive, AC2 was shut down, and dozen of other games you probably don’t remember including Tabula Risa, which I still think is the most expensive MMO ever created (at least if you believe how little Star Wars cost).     I’m sure there was a huge push to cut your losses, especially since Turbine was a "lights on" funded kind of company at the time. 

Talking about other things Kate did still makes my head spin.  I remember talking to Kate, Gen Con 2007 maybe, about Crafting and the systems that become Green Steel, Dragon Touched and Subterrane loot.  Yeah they all are the same system (well initially anyways - not sure if they still are).  It took me a long time to understand what they did and I still shake my head.   Each one is one step further along the line, GS is full crafting, in DT you get a base item and random effects that are already crafted and in the Subterrane you get the finished item.   I never understood how we got three systems from the one concept, could you imagine three crafting systems that were joined together and the joys of the playerbase?   I’m not sure how those three separate systems now function internally but…

However in my interactions with Kate she always seemed "worried" that she wasn't really the boss.  I remember the Mournlands forums were filled with yes people at the time, no one dared make more than a minor fuss, or booted you were.   Yes one Mournland player was perma-banned from the game for his extremely over the top posts.   You could see it building and I think he had finally had enough before he posted his vitriol and he knew how it was going to end.   Want to know what he was so upset about?   Several former Devs were basically writing at how “stupid” the player base was at the time.   

What was an interesting program became more and more useless, things were more and more dictated to us, how many Mournland players bit their tongues, how many people went sure that sounds good, made worse by the fact that the system was abused for personal gain.   WoP / New Builds / price rigging on the auction house.   
At the same Time the lawsuits were flying, backroom agreements with WOTC and other shit was happening.      I remember reading a post that hinted at Module 9 being delayed and legal action against Atari.   That was like six months before it happened.

My access to the Mournland’s forum was intermittent at best now and I only once or twice was privileged enough to scour the last rendition of the Mournland forum.    In many cases MANY of the Devs posted detailed, verbose, answers on why things were designed the way they were.    Yet in the public forums they told the players to sod off (considering they could have cut and paste what they posted in the Mournland Forums pissed me off).   
When Kate left many of the Mournlands players hoped that they would have a better influence on the game, the problem was too many things were left in half finished states.   There was no easy fix.

Fernando was never going to “overrule” Kate in any major way, for the same reason that Popes don’t over rule recent previous Popes.   And there is the fact they probably agreed on many of the same things as well as a happy home life.   I have met Fernando more than a few times, had a couple of beers with him, not like he would likely remember me, but I always felt the impression he had his head stuck in the sand, he was waiting for the next EP to step up to the plate so he could get back to what he loved to do (Systems), heck when Turbine posted the Director of Systems and Engineering Position I figured it was tailored specifically for him to take.   

Not sure what happened to Fernando, maybe he finally did get his Director Position, a year ago Producer Glin becomes Sr. Producer, and last spring Rowan became Franchise Director and around December Aaron got the EP title.   Last week he moved across the isle and became EP of LOTRO.

I have heard (and MajMal hinted at it) that DDO had its most profitable Calendar year ever in 2013, which beat even 2012 and 2011 and…   Aaron, with a back ground in QA, put an effort to get at bugs and tightening loose nuts throughout the machine.   I hope that continues.   I fell through the bridge in Waterworks the other day and laughed my ass off.   His other stated goal was to finish half-finished systems.   But he was honest, Cannith Crafting was going to cost too much to do more than put a band-aid on it for now, the Monster Manual for as cool as it is is expensive, and players want the MOON!

If I was Athena’s Boss I’d be talking about staying the course.

I know it sounds like I am defending the EPs, and I am too an extent, but a lot of decisions made years ago still are effecting game play.   Back to GS Crafting, could you imagine if those three systems were redone and linked together?  Epic GS, Epic Dragon Touched, Epic Set Bonuses?  Maybe, just Maybe that is why we are get E3BC instead….   I doubt it but a guy can dream. 

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #54 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:42am:
Yeah we give a shit about the players, but to get to the constructive criticism and ideas there is a morass that has to be weeded through. Look, this forum has a sub section for causing drama. I know it is a game in itself, but as a worker, the only way to play that game is to not play.
I also know that this relationship was not created by only the players. There is a reason for the venom. But realize most of those people are gone and have moved on, beating the crap out of the new guy for things he or she had nothing to do with is not the way to get their ear.

the last part of my post has to deal with not taking the barbs and jabs personally. It is a good lesson. In some ways devs are public figures and have to let the 'you suck' and whatnot roll off their backs. It's not not listening, it's not hearing the noise.

I understood that it meant not taking them personally, but it just sounded more like ignoring them instead of not letting them get to you. Wasn't trying to start drama, I merely stated how I felt your post sounded like.

Also, you hit a major point there. This situation wasn't created by the players alone. Take me for example, I don't really post anything constructive on the forums anymore. I don't go all the way down to insults or other shit like some people do, but I pretty much just troll stuff now.

Why? Because I've been playing since 2007 and I've been taught Turbine won't give a shit about anything I have to say. Yes, even despite recent claims you started to care again, I'm just too far gone to believe any of that until real positive change happens. Pretending simply won't do it.

Sure the players made the conversations go downhill also, but Turbine is massively responsible for the current forum situation.

I also realize the new guys do not deserve any shit they might get. BUT they should be told to expect it and do their best to turn the situation around. As in, tell them they're about to step into a shitstorm that started years ago and is still ongoing because the players are more annoyed than ever and that it would be pretty damn fucking awesome if those new guys could make players happier again.

Just remember that behind most shit posts there's a player that used to really care about this game before, and that would surely care again if good things happened to DDO.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:06pm by Distributed »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #55 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I used to be helpful on the motherforum. I still am, occasionally.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #56 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
There has to be HUGE amount of vets or previously avid posters now only lurking the motherforums.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #57 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:42am:
Yeah we give a shit about the players, but to get to the constructive criticism and ideas there is a morass that has to be weeded through.

Maybe someone should take a look at how ArenaNet is handling this with GW2.  Go here and search for either CDI or collaborative.

Oh, and as a side note, ArenaNet currently has no problems with users datamining their .dat file(s) and publically publishing what they find.  There -was- a recent negative reaction to spoilers in an upcoming release being made public, but guidelines were given.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #58 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:28am:
There is good saying that comes to mind now, "no point in polishing a turd"

Nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Don't blame me, how was I to know that when ever I wrote Fernando a fucking picture would pop up.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #60 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
You should have realized that there are word subs with your boobies.

D'oh!

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #61 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Can you hear the drums Fernando?
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight Fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

They were closer now Fernando
Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
I was so afraid Fernando
We were young and full of life and none of us prepared to die
And I'm not ashamed to say
The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, Fernando
Though we never thought that we could lose
There's no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando

Now we're old and grey Fernando
And since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hand
Do you still recall the fateful night we crossed the Rio Grande?
I can see it in your eyes
How proud you were to fight for freedom in this land

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret
Yes, if I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando...

IP Logged

H8Tank
Titan Demolisher

Turbine Banned

Reply #62 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:07pm:

Me too.  But no more.  My help is no longer welcomed there.

IMARANGER wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:36pm:
Your are stupider.

IMARANGER wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:54pm:
I'm fantasizing about your small penis right now. 

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #63 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:40pm:
Great white hope for Turbine. He did what he needed here, now he is off to play on the other boat.

So he is a corporate production analyst. Came in, reviewed employee production, assessed and...

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:46pm by Luxgolg »  

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #64 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:07pm:

I try to only be helpful over there, and over here.

Maj I'm grateful you post here, so I can take pop shots at you, your presence here is hugely therapeutic for me.

Now, I've gotta go prepare my bags for more duping.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #65 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Munk and rest are really nice guys in-game, assuming you're not a whiner or woefully inept.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #66 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:46pm:

Maj I'm grateful you post here, so I can take pop shots at you, your presence here is hugely therapeutic for me.

Now, I've gotta go prepare my bags for more duping.

Share the love, I need CoVs  Undecided

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #67 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:48pm:
Munk and rest are really nice guys in-game, assuming you're not a whiner or woefully inept.

Quiet you fool, you'll blow my cover!

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #68 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:46pm:

How to make English breakfast ?
Google Munkenmo Woodfist ...

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #69 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:20pm:
Quiet you fool, you'll blow my cover!

Sorry.

I mean,

Rest is a bad man who makes me feel bad because I did bad that time.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:28am:
There is good saying that comes to mind now, "no point in polishing a turd"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite

I have a fossilized poop that is very shiny because it was polished nicely.

Maybe in 500,000 years, DDO will get to be polished, too! 

IP Logged

arko
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:19pm:
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight Fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

They were closer now Fernando
Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
I was so afraid Fernando
We were young and full of life and none of us prepared to die
And I'm not ashamed to say
The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

Now we're old and grey Fernando
And since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hand
Do you still recall the fateful night we crossed the Rio Grande?
I can see it in your eyes
How proud you were to fight for freedom in this land

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret
Yes, if I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando...

that's so 2009

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/184397-TWITTER-Something-REALLY-BIG-Co...

oh and thanks now I have that stupid song running through my head
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:27pm by arko »  

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Is it possible that Rowan left DDO to return to LOTRO because he was only loaned to DDO in the first place?  I used to make drug deals all the time in the military to loan guys to other shops for a few weeks to get work done, and then they would come back to my unit.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #73 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
arko wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:09pm:
that's so 2009

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/184397-TWITTER-Something-REALLY-BIG-Co...

oh and thanks now I have that stupid song running through my head

I did it without his face popping up was the point. Technically that song is so 1986. So your post in 2009 was still 23 years too late.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #74 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
hyplo wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:15pm:
I'm going to date myself really frelling badly here.   I don't post here often but have been lurking since basically day one.

<snip - too long, wall of text shuts down readers' interests fast> 

I like the ideas. I know that people are calling "doom" once more - they have been at it for years now - but this might be really a good time for DDO. All we need to do is get the devs, coders, and Turbine management to listen to the good ideas, ignore the silly ones, and chuckle and the trolls (that one's for you, Rest!).

My suggestions are as follows:
- FIX LOOT TABLES. The pre-FoS stuff was acceptable. None of this ghostbane stuff.
- STANDARDIZE CRAFTING (to be incorporated with the loot tables shnitz), incorporate all the good qualities of all the crafting systems and make them integrate-able. Augment slots + guild slots + greensteel + epic crafting.
- UPDATE/IMPROVE CHARACTER ANIMATIONS. You've already introduced cosmetic gear - make it more customizable. Charge shards if needed. There needs to be better combat animations. Personally, I'm not a fan of the whirling semi-helicopter thing that TWF do on their 3rd attack.
- MAKE THE GAME AND FORUMS FUN FOR THE PLAYER BASE. This should have been done a long, long time ago.
- REWARD AND ENCOURAGE GAMING. Don't make it an endless and mindless grind. There was nothing wrong with the epic token system. The CoV system is just horrible. If you can integrate them, please do so (1 epic raid token=500 CoVs?). I like how VIPs are encouraged (free gold rolls, xp boost), but you have to aim at the f2p and premium folks to convince them that the game is worth spending money on.

Rowan was most probably pulled from LOTRO to see if they can jumpstart DDO. Fine, he wasn't strong enough to oust Cordovan, but that might be a good thing. I suggest making a Cordovan tattoo on Lolth's bellybutton - I suspect that we'll see a whole lot more CiTW runs once more.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint