Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Akamai crapware (partially) defeated (Read 18799 times)
GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Akamai crapware (partially) defeated
Mar 10th, 2014 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hey, whenever some piece of shit like Beethoven starts to apologize for the Akamai crapware, you have to know that it's time to figure out how to defeat it if you can.

Issues and Progress

1) The damn shit starts on system boot

Solution: Spybot Search and Destroy from Safer Networking. Under the tools section, you can edit what programs are and are not allowed to start at boot.

2) The damn shit tries to connect to the net

Solution: Disable incoming and outgoing connections in your fire wall. The Launcher will hang for less than  a minute, before the Akamai crapware times out, and you can then log in.

Unknown: Will the launcher download a game update without Akamai crapware being able to connect to the net? I will be able to test soon enough, because Turbine QA means that we will be getting a hot fix soon after any update....

3) The damn shit fires up 2 netsession_win.exe processes every time you fire up the launcher.

Solution: Sadly, the best I have for this is a desktop short cut that does the following:

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM netsession_win.exe

which means I need to click the shortcut any time after I get to the DDO login screen.

There, hopefully this will ease the pain of DDOCrackhead.

Discuss. Improvements welcome.

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Re: Akamai crapware (partially) defeated
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
This is all theoretical, as I am still at work and unable to play DDO at the moment. I left it updating, though.

Block the malware hazard in the firewall settings? This would allow you to play DDO. Should an update be released, you'd have to unblock the malware hazard.

A quick google search recommends blocking the damned thing.

Are there already specific steps on how to remove the blasted thing?

Turbine. You suck.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Then again, this might have been planned for a long time. Right, Majmal?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I deleted the contents of all the files I could access with Notepad++ and marked them as read only for the time being.  Hopefully, that will handicap it till I can tinker with the better solutions posted. 

AKA Crab a crowbar and go to rippin'.

IP Logged

Saaluta
Vault Mistress

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Not being all tech-savvy, I just went into the task manager, startup tab and disabled akamai.  Will this work or will it just reset when I turn off my laptop?

Saal :/

Hello Darkness, my old friend!  It's nice to talk with you again!
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
They don't just settle for shooting themselves in the foot. Turbine uses a repeating crossbow.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I am guessing it will reset. It took 5 mins of stern words to eliminate the processes for me, and then when I fired DDO up I got a license agreement and a very very long hang while they figured out what it going on. Not impressed.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
This malware makes me want to send Stoddard over to Turbine.

Weapons of mass destruction.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

BAMBIBEER
Dragon Raider

Stink puss

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Hers a real easy way to fix all the crap that has been happening Ccleaner . Works wonder and it will get rid of your STDs for you pc . IT will delete alot of your realy bad nights out to .  Wink

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:07am
Print Post  
OK, shamelessly cribbing the best ideas I've read....

1) Replace Spybot Search and Destroy with msconfig to stop Akamai from starting at boot

2) Keep the firewall controls in place to neuter Akamai when it is running. By the way, after Akamai times out the launcher runs through its prereq check, so I see a decent chance of it downloading any updates at that point.

3) Launch DDO with this wrapper bat file

cd C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Akamai
admintool start

cd "C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons and Dragons Online - Eberron Unlimited"
TurbineLauncher.exe

cd C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Akamai
admintool stop

exit

which will need to be updated to reflect the directories on your system.

This automates killing the Akamai processes as the final step.

The end result is mostly what we had before this release, with the additional requirement of accepting the Akamai EULA  and watching it hang before it times out.

Not as good as what we used to have, but it is only possible to fix so much of what Turbine breaks.  Smiley

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:11am
Print Post  
or... just use DDO-ML, which bypasses the entire launcher.. thus no Akamai.. and, it has a patch function for when thats needed.. been using it for a while now... theres a link for it in the other thread about this.. found... somewhere.. "The New Pando" or soemthin like dat..

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Ollie - you sure DDO-ML works?

I've got to get that when I get home, then.

We're still discussing how to best remove the malware, though.

There weren't any issues updating your client with DDO-ML? No double login problems? I use the pre-loader for that, but earlier before I left my beloved laptop downloading DDO, it started up the malware (I didn't know it was malware at the time!) before starting the update process.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:26am
Print Post  
nah, ive been playing all nite.. and all morning. afternoon was working.. no issues, 19 accounts currently cycling flawlessly

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Cool cool.

I'll get that then.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:11am:
or... just use DDO-ML, which bypasses the entire launcher.. thus no Akamai.

The "thus no Akamai" is only true if the user does not oops and use the Turbine launcher at any time after they have removed Akamai from startup.

All it takes is once.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

AmazeMo
Korthos Resident

Cynical Skeptic

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I got lucky I suppose.

I read the forums prior to the update and installed DDO-ML. It updated the game alright, without installing Pando, I mean Akamai, although I couldn't get it to run the game at all. I kept getting errors.

After looking around for a bit I installed pyLotro. I set it as 'run as admin' (win7 os), and now I am in game.

I never agreed to the P2P download and never installed it. I have also heard that ddo preload works with pyLotro, but I haven't tried it. I just run pyLotro standalone. No way in fuck will I install a data miner.

After getting in the game I lost all intrest. They re-gimped my Ranger and now I have to spam arrows just to get a kill. I have seen a lot of players quit over the Akami thing and I am thinking I will just take a break from DDo.

Path of Exile is a lot of fun, for about an hour, but spring is here in the Northwest so I may just go outside.

On a side note, I just love how all these "IT" experts are fawning over Akami on the mother forums. *vomit*

Cool

IP Logged

The Oak
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Such a headache! I was using preloader to avoid red connection and now Turbine complicated things further. I guess I will try uninstalling Akamai, use 3rd party launcher and hope game updates when patch launches.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
OK, just an update (pun intended) on how this is working.

The update today, well, updated on my system using the official DDO launcher and the Akamai crapware blocked using my firewall. As expected, the crapware eventually times out, and then the launcher itself puts up a popup which says something like "Updated needed. Do you want to update now?"

Selecting "yes" downloads all the updated files. OK, actually it downloads half of the files, and then Akamai has to time out again, another launcher popup, and then you get the other half of the files.

Certainly less than ideal, but at least an option for anyone who has qualms about using the alternate launchers.

This approach actually works pretty well when there is no update and you just want to launch the game to play. However, if Turbine doesn't get its act together and fix this relatively soon, I'll probably take the time to review the source code for an alternative launcher and build my own executable from it.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Won't uninstalling the malware make the launcher do funny shit?

I used DDO-ML... It can't be too comfortable with the lack of security, haha... Actually, I think AtomicMew now has the passwords of everyone who used his launcher.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
GermanicusMaximus wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 7:07pm:
OK, just an update (pun intended) on how this is working.

The update today, well, updated on my system using the official DDO launcher and the Akamai crapware blocked using my firewall. As expected, the crapware eventually times out, and then the launcher itself puts up a popup which says something like "Updated needed. Do you want to update now?"

Selecting "yes" downloads all the updated files. OK, actually it downloads half of the files, and then Akamai has to time out again, another launcher popup, and then you get the other half of the files.

Certainly less than ideal, but at least an option for anyone who has qualms about using the alternate launchers.

This approach actually works pretty well when there is no update and you just want to launch the game to play. However, if Turbine doesn't get its act together and fix this relatively soon, I'll probably take the time to review the source code for an alternative launcher and build my own executable from it.

Been using nothing but pyLotro for ages now, simply because it's faster than the official launcher. If I had to wait for a "time out" like you're suggesting, I'd probably kill myself first.

IP Logged

Realism51
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2014 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Just msconfig it to not start up, and create a bat file if you want to be selective about it. Post on here earlier about removing the back end section of reporting without knowledge. Best way to run it is ending proccess after you log into your account on DDO

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:06am
Print Post  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The Akamai NetSession client allows us to quickly and reliably deliver fresh DDO client installations to you, and assist in the repair of missing or corrupted files in current game installations. The client utilizes Akamai’s large network of edge servers to deliver this content from a location which is deemed geographically closest to you, and ensures that we are able to efficiently and effectively get you what you need to play DDO.

This was a big problem that needed a fix, huh?

So all the other content providers that use Akamai but don't use NetSession are just doing it wrong? Here's a "selected" list of some of Akamai's customers, don't know how many use NetSession.  I know Adobe required acceptance of a EULA to download if you used their manager.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:11pm:
This was a big problem that needed a fix, huh?

So all the other content providers that use Akamai but don't use NetSession are just doing it wrong? Here's a "selected" list of some of Akamai's customers, don't know how many use NetSession.  I know Adobe required acceptance of a EULA to download if you used their manager.

Oh please stop spamming the customer list form Akamai.. it means absolutely nothing.
It's all the customers... some of them will use the netsession thingie, but most of them will just use the regional distribution and loadsharing for websites... or just the plain website hosting ( with regional distribution ).

That least is has absolutely no meaning for the topic at hand.
I can prove that Turbine ( DDOclient.exe actually ) has been using Akamai services long before the Netsession fiasco. But they were using the hosting and distributed loadsharing service.

and if you read the fucking post I linked you'll see that they have taken most of our grief into account and that netsession will be removed and made to work like Pando did.
( so if you have already the game downloaded you will not have to install it )

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 2:01pm:
and if you read the fucking post I linked you'll see that they have taken most of our grief into account and that netsession will be removed and made to work like Pando did.
( so if you have already the game downloaded you will not have to install it )

I agree with your stance on the unquoted, but take issue with this. It has not been removed, and pando turned into a fiasco.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:09pm:
I agree with your stance on the unquoted, but take issue with this. It has not been removed, and pando turned into a fiasco.

It has not been removed... yet.

But in the end we will be able to use the launcher without akamai installed.
and we will be able to install the game ( provided we saved the files somewhere ) without having to install akamai.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint