Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) The real reason for heavy moderation on main forum (Read 14456 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: The real reason for heavy moderation on main forum
Reply #50 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:08am:
So the akamai people recommended the net session? haha cunning..................er whatever but still it stumps me as to why we need the net session over the HTTP download thing, use it to update and done till the next update, I don't see or understand how having netsession running all the time is going to make the game run better, they really need to do a better job explaining what it does and the benefits.

Well these kind of deals are made at manglement level... and we all know that manglement is the place where technically incompetent ( or illiterate ) people are stored.
Add to that that it was probably manglement in front of a salesdroid presenting a shiny, groovy, and absolutely IN thing ( aka a must have if you don't want to loose your edge over competitors ) and you already know how it's going to finish...

Manglement order down the food chain :
We bought this shiny toy, it HAS to be integrated in the Games. Make it so !

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #51 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Yup, one of them probably read an article like this piece of moron-bait: http://www.businessinsider.com/akamai-dominates-internet-infrastructure-2014-2 and went, "ooooh, shiny". Happens so frequently in corporate IT it's not even funny.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #52 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 3:51am:
He was commenting on my post where I linked Akamai website and especially Akamai Brochure about CDN and the related products.
From reading it it is clear that they were sold the Netsession thing as THE WAY to go for what they needed. ( replacing Pando )
When actually what they needed [ based on what MajMal said in the previous post : a mean to provide an efficient mass download for the whole game ] is the HTTP download service offer. ( the one just above the Netsession )

Ah! Excellent.

Really hoping this means that they'll come out with "oh sorry... yeah we don't need that don't worry we're going to take it out".

Otherwise I've just lost a number of people I used to play with. Not happy.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #53 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Meli wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:45am:
Ah! Excellent.

Really hoping this means that they'll come out with "oh sorry... yeah we don't need that don't worry we're going to take it out".

Otherwise I've just lost a number of people I used to play with. Not happy.

Sadly I have no faith at all in Turbine's Manglement...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #54 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 8:00pm:
Yeah, he never has any cool war stories like this.  Just plays his nice stable game and special holiday events that work and shit.

Then your friend is lying to you.  Ask him about the "defeat knights in 6 minute" bug that took a week out of a two week event to get fixed.

Ask him about the invincible hologram once it hit 20% health.

Ask him about the slaying potions that increased damage against a foe but also increased damage received by the player (which was the opposite of what was supposed to happen) that wasn't fixed for months.

Ask him about the missing awards for 100% map completion that took them over a month to sort out.

These are all recent fixes, if he needs any more reminding, just ask.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #55 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:55pm:
Then your friend is lying to you.  Ask him about the "defeat knights in 6 minute" bug that took a week out of a two week event to get fixed.

Ask him about the invincible hologram once it hit 20% health.

Ask him about the slaying potions that increased damage against a foe but also increased damage received by the player (which was the opposite of what was supposed to happen) that wasn't fixed for months.

Ask him about the missing awards for 100% map completion that took them over a month to sort out.

These are all recent fixes, if he needs any more reminding, just ask.

From your list, 100% of the problems got fixed, the longest taking "months".

You're not making the other game sound so bad.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #56 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 1:10pm:
From your list, 100% of the problems got fixed, the longest taking "months".

You're not making the other game sound so bad.

It's not a complete bug list.  I'm responding to "and their events just work".  These are the notables from just the latest event. 

That said, GW2 has no problem dropping hotfixes into the game as soon as they're tested, and unless you're in World vs World, you don't have to get out of the game when they're made available, you can wait until it's convenient or 3 hours have passed.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #57 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:55pm:
Then your friend is lying to you.

Wow, assume much?

I haven't played GW since the first one, and even then it was briefly, so I can't speak to this personally.  From what he describes to me, he simply never runs into these kinds of obvious flaws.  Since he is not a "hard core" gamer, I find that easy to believe.

There are some differences if I am understanding his descriptions correctly.  In DDO special events are usually fairly contained (Harbor, Bongwater Tavern, Delera's, etc.) so in theory they should be more easily managed.  It sounds like in GW2 the special events can affect much of the world so, at least to me, it sounds pretty impressive, and I would imagine that it's much more immersive.

So you have (seemingly) much more ambitious events with (seemingly) much fewer obvious problems.  Not surprising really, considering the relative amount of $ and staff involved in each game.  But when a typical consumer is trying to decide where to spend their game time/$, should they have to consider the size of the company behind the curtain?  I don't think they should.  The game/experience is either entertaining or not.  The average consumer is not going to adjust their scale of enjoyment based on the resources that went into the creation and support of the game.

I submit to you that obvious flaws, that are easily encountered by even the most casual user, definitely detract from DDO's appeal.  Imagine recommending this game to a friend, and then having their first experience go like this:

1) Install game
2) Login
3) Loading screen says "The"
4) Login takes 5 or 6 minutes while progress bar shows nothing happening
--) At this point many folks will just assume a crash and shut down the process via the control panel.  If not...
6) Eventually get into game
7) Oops, everything is frozen - not connected to server
8) Quit game
9) Oops, not closing cleanly, gotta use control panel
10) Try starting game again
11) Takes 'only' a couple of minutes this time
12) Actually get into a working game (finally)

I don't know about you, but if I was trying out a game for the first time, I'd probably be giving up before the second try.

So no, I'm not naïve enough to imagine that GW2 is flawless.  But I'll bet the overall user experience, for the average user, is a damn sight better than DDO's.  And don't give me "Then go play GW2 then."  We all know why we are still with the filthy lying whore that is DDO.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #58 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 3:51am:
He was commenting on my post where I linked Akamai website and especially Akamai Brochure about CDN and the related products.
From reading it it is clear that they were sold the Netsession thing as THE WAY to go for what they needed. ( replacing Pando )
When actually what they needed [ based on what MajMal said in the previous post : a mean to provide an efficient mass download for the whole game ] is the HTTP download service offer. ( the one just above the Netsession )

OK, thanks for clarifying, a HTTP download service does sound much more reasonable.

But I'm still really pissed at Turdbin, there is no excuse for not owning up to it and having the full conversation while it was still on Lamania. The whole "we're communicating now" line is just another saturday night lie and I'm offended that they think we're stupid enough to keep falling for it.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #59 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:29pm:
Imagine recommending this game to a friend, and then having their first experience go like this:

Yeah, I have. I don't reccommend it to friends anymore. I'm embarrased to post about it, and none of my friends post about it anymore either.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #60 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:44pm:
I'm embarrased to post about it, and none of my friends post about it anymore either.

Wait, we're still talking about DDO, right?    Cheesy

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #61 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 5:48pm:
Wait, we're still talking about DDO, right?

You want graphic details and maybe a few pictures and see if you can figure it out? Make sure you have a bucket handy. And maybe a spoon for your eyes (though it won't help) Cheesy

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #62 - Mar 14th, 2014 at 3:07am
Print Post  
1) Install game
2) Login
--) At this point many folks will just assume a crash and shut down the process via the control panel.  If not...
8) Quit game

Not trying to defend DDO but just for those that want to recommend DDO to a friend.
The trick is to make your friend buy a SSD first. Then he/she won't experience any of these.
Except the loading screen that says "The". But wait, wasn't that WAI anyway?
Grin

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #63 - Mar 14th, 2014 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Mar 14th, 2014 at 3:07am:
Except the loading screen that says "The". But wait, wasn't that WAI anyway?
Grin

Tongue I liked that loading screen so much I recorded it and used it for scene changes in some of my videos.

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #64 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 8:06am:
Wow, I stopped by the main forums to voice my objection to Akamai, and reasonable posts were disappearing before my eyes. I don't remember it being this bad before, so it got me speculating as to why. Post your guesses, here's mine!

The moderation is heavy on the main forums because the server populations are so low even Cordovan realized they've killed DDO, and he's looking to jump ship before it sinks.

Not being able to land a job in the US with the Turdbin stain on his resume, he started looking overseas. He wants to apply for a job in China as a censor, so he's trying to get his moderations per day over 1000.

Unfortunately, after the forum downgrade he can't find 1000 offensive posts per day without slapping the wrists of his pet fanbois, so he's had to resort to deleting even reasonable posts.

Good luck, Cordovan, I hope you get that job soon!

That poor asshole will have to lick chinese balls now.

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

Realism51
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Since it is now open to interpretation per person on the forums its more likely that they are trying the route of appeasing all and retaining public face, anything that can be construed as a complaint or damage to reputation ... means that there is major concern over the direction of public appeal of the game.

IP Logged

Turbosilk
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 8:06am:
Wow, I stopped by the main forums to voice my objection to Akamai, and reasonable posts were disappearing before my eyes. I don't remember it being this bad before, so it got me speculating as to why. Post your guesses, here's mine!

The moderation is heavy on the main forums because the server populations are so low even Cordovan realized they've killed DDO, and he's looking to jump ship before it sinks.

Not being able to land a job in the US with the Turdbin stain on his resume, he started looking overseas. He wants to apply for a job in China as a censor, so he's trying to get his moderations per day over 1000.

Unfortunately, after the forum downgrade he can't find 1000 offensive posts per day without slapping the wrists of his pet fanbois, so he's had to resort to deleting even reasonable posts.

Good luck, Cordovan, I hope you get that job soon!

Everquest is still around how can DDO die?  Unless EQ is better?

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
EQ1 had a window where it was the dominate MMO with an absurd number of players (at least compared to DDO). 1% of the population wanting to just keep playing probably was more than enough to keep it alive with a larger population than DDO has ever had.

IP Logged

Turbosilk
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
There are basically the same number of servers.  EQ graphics are horrible, the game play sucks in comparison.  DDO is a better game all around makes sense that DDO is done.

Stop crying wolf.  It gets old and it is old.

IP Logged

paraplegic
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Wow, assume much?

I haven't played GW since the first one, and even then it was briefly, so I can't speak to this personally.  From what he describes to me, he simply never runs into these kinds of obvious flaws.  Since he is not a "hard core" gamer, I find that easy to believe.

There are some differences if I am understanding his descriptions correctly.  In DDO special events are usually fairly contained (Harbor, Bongwater Tavern, Delera's, etc.) so in theory they should be more easily managed.  It sounds like in GW2 the special events can affect much of the world so, at least to me, it sounds pretty impressive, and I would imagine that it's much more immersive.

So you have (seemingly) much more ambitious events with (seemingly) much fewer obvious problems.  Not surprising really, considering the relative amount of $ and staff involved in each game.  But when a typical consumer is trying to decide where to spend their game time/$, should they have to consider the size of the company behind the curtain?  I don't think they should.  The game/experience is either entertaining or not.  The average consumer is not going to adjust their scale of enjoyment based on the resources that went into the creation and support of the game.

I submit to you that obvious flaws, that are easily encountered by even the most casual user, definitely detract from DDO's appeal.  Imagine recommending this game to a friend, and then having their first experience go like this:

1) Install game
2) Login
8) Quit game

I don't know about you, but if I was trying out a game for the first time, I'd probably be giving up before the second try.

So no, I'm not naïve enough to imagine that GW2 is flawless.  But I'll bet the overall user experience, for the average user, is a damn sight better than DDO's.  And don't give me "Then go play GW2 then."  We all know why we are still with the filthy lying whore that is DDO.

this is what hapening to me all the time.. thats why i play less, spend less.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint