Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic EN Dev Incentive and the PC comments deleted (Read 5985 times)
Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

EN Dev Incentive and the PC comments deleted
Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I responded to a thread on the loot in Deathwyrm today. Ishr (council member, achievement thread curator) had posted the following (paraphrased)

"the devs have stated in multiple places that there would no difference in loot across difficulties in order to encourage players to run EN"

I quoted him on this and asked him to link a source.

Both comments deleted within five minutes by a mod, leading me to think this was a player council thread discussion that he leaked.

I'd be furious if I found out devs thought the community needed and incentive to run EN, and it seems that this has been covered away from prying eyes.

I'm quite aware that with the exception of scale drop rates the devs have clearly decided that all players merit the same chance of phlogistons etc so yes there has been a design decision to keep things on a similar par, I just thought this merited sharing.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:54pm by Barba »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: EN Dev Incentive and the PC comments deleted
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Well since I have had several posts Cubed in the various Akamai Thread Purges it should be obvious by now to everybody that being a PC Member doesn't give us any protected status.

Now on the topic... There is no incentive to run EN at all... since EH is the New Normal.

And since they don't want to get rid of the Retarded Streak and go back to an underlevel bonus there is all the incentive in the world to run quests as hard as possible.

Loot is just a side effect of running quests...

As for the source :
SolarDawning wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:59pm:
Other stuff:
Now that I'm gone, the difficulty-based loot has been discontinued. No more different items on Epic Normal/Hard/Elite. I was told it over-rewarded Elite play. Can't say I agree.

Page 6 of the Plume de Soleil thread here in the Vault. Which makes it quite obvious as to why it was cubed.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:31pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Realism51
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Is this turbine speak for oh god we killed the new raids with incurable lag and douche baggery?

Lets just make a top raid that hits harder than anything, raise it about ten levels, through in some lag, bunch of puzzles that lag and some instant alert that never goes away from respawning lag monsters. Oh, we cant forget to include the bug out 8/10 times.

There we go - working perfect now

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I really liked the EN, EH, EE loot.  I though it was brilliant.

Except, I wish it could be in one item that I could click to have it at the relevant level.  so the 1 inventory slot could contain 3 versions and I'd use the one I wanted.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:44pm:
I really liked the EN, EH, EE loot.  I though it was brilliant.

I hated the system, Items should have been identical in all things other than min level.

EE should have had the lowest level, and EN should have been +2 EE level.

Atleast if the loot was the same players like me wouldn't write it off as trash.

As a power gamer I had 0 reason to join any EH or EN group for loot before, and I had bravery streaks often discouraging me..

Bravery and staggered loot systems co-existing are bad.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 2:58pm:
EE should have had the lowest level, and EN should have been +2 EE level.

Why? Aren't the people most able to handle EE the people who least need the gear at lower levels?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the ML the same for all (and make it between the minimum level to accept the quest and the level of the quest itself) and make the EE gear have better stats or better drop rate?

What mechanic or interaction makes ML a more powerful draw than item power or drop rate?

This is an honest question though I can't figure out how to make it read that way  Huh

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Barba wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:38pm:
I responded to a thread on the loot in Deathwyrm today. Ishr (council member, achievement thread curator) had posted the following (paraphrased)

"the devs have stated in multiple places that there would no difference in loot across difficulties in order to encourage players to run EN"

I quoted him on this and asked him to link a source.

Both comments deleted within five minutes by a mod, leading me to think this was a player council thread discussion that he leaked.

I'd be furious if I found out devs thought the community needed and incentive to run EN, and it seems that this has been covered away from prying eyes.

I'm quite aware that with the exception of scale drop rates the devs have clearly decided that all players merit the same chance of phlogistons etc so yes there has been a design decision to keep things on a similar par, I just thought this merited sharing.

My guess for the part I highlighted in red:
Multiple places = in the Player Council board and when FoS posted (after he left Turbine) on the Vault.

IP Logged

Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Yup im gona have a look back over FoS' posts tonight - seems this idea was marginalised.

Re: your comments Flav, I do see loot as incentive, the "piece of cheese" if you will. It's subjective and selfish but I prefer my EE Stilton to be smellier than another man's EN Stilton - and was quite happy for that to mean a slightly decreased ML alone. It's game design that dictates whether it is indeed a side product or an incentive, and the devs have come down in favour of the former.

I am quite happy with what EE yields: I get more scales, but I do think that if there is a conscious developer plan to normalise loot across the difficulties then it's worthy of player comment and criticism.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:45pm by Barba »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 3:22pm:
What mechanic or interaction makes ML a more powerful draw than item power or drop rate?

This is an honest question though I can't figure out how to make it read that way

ETR'ing, and running content underlevel.

Meursault wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 3:22pm:
Why? Aren't the people most able to handle EE the people who least need the gear at lower levels?

This logic could also equate, people who Run EE are less likely to need the best permutations of EE gear.

I think one of the worst things to happen to DDO loot was the en/eh/ee systems.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:31pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I liked the EN/EH/EE systems. You reward the players who play at higher difficulties, and since they play at higher difficulties they get better equipment to help them beat the more powerful mobs.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 4:29pm:
ETR'ing, and running content underlevel.

This logic could also equate, people who Run EE are less likely to need the best permutations of EE gear.

I think one of the worst things to happen to DDO loot was the en/eh/ee systems.

The system wouldn't bother me, if there was an upgrade path of some kind.

Trading 3 EN versions gets you an EH version, etc.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 6:53pm:
The system wouldn't bother me, if there was an upgrade path of some kind.

Trading 3 EN versions gets you an EH version, etc.

I think that's where I was as well. Would have prevented me fishing for a certain level of Wall of Wood, lets people play slowly and get what they want, but rewards higher end players through faster rewards.

I realise it would have not been so lucrative on the AS AH, but it would be a better design Smiley

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I like the idea behind EN/EH/EE gear.  I like that it has tiers of power.  I like that it rewards EE play.  I don't like that it makes the inventory mini-game even more bothersome than it already is (and that mini-game is already pretty bad in DDO).

I am glad they did EN/EH/EE and I'd be happy to see it stay, but the inventory irritation makes me okay with seeing it go.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:26am
Print Post  
I see the problem Flav is talking about. These difficulties split up the masses, making it more difficult to form up groups. The bravery streak (which Flav is against), has become a near-must have for a lot of people.

Personally, I like the bravery bonus and the loot variety from difficulty settings. The brave (and skilled) get rewarded, whilst the brave (yet underpowered) get to waste time. It encourages play at "own-level-of-play" quests. However, there will always be Stoddards who think they can do much more than they actually can.

So... I guess I'd have to agree with Flav. Bravery bonus, as it is presently, should be changed as to encourage awesome playing whilst not making it an absolute must. The difficulty settings variety loot was good when it was in effect - because it let me use stuff at different levels - but currently needs a revamp.

Like making it into tiers or something, like the cannith challenge gear and cove gear. Normal drops tier 1, hard drops tier 1 and chance to drop tier 2, elite drops tiers and 2 and also has a chance to drop tier 3.

I'm a genius.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:49am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:26am:
The brave (and skilled) get rewarded, whilst the brave (yet underpowered) get to waste time. .

There is no bravery at doing a quest two level below your level on Elite.

Try doing Madstone with a party of LVL 7/8 characters ( or Crucible ) or say try to do Bastion with a bunch of LVL 13/14.. That would be brave to pull it out even on Normal.

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
With as much trouble as they have just keeping the game running, you want them to change/fix stuff?  Good luck with that.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:49am:

Try doing Madstone with a party of LVL 7/8 characters ( or Crucible ) or say try to do Bastion with a bunch of LVL 13/14.. That would be brave to pull it out even on Normal.

Which is why bravery should be modified, like I said =)

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Zandos
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:49am:

If devs would remove bravery and reintroduce underlevel bonus, I'm sure masses of noobs would try to enter vale quests at lvl5, and then flood forums with whining and nerf demands.
Wink

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Still not sure why they got rid of the underlevel bonus.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Rasczak wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:54am:

Because it shows how over-powered some of us are.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:10am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:57am:
Because it shows how over-powered some of us are.

Yup, the days when we were using greensteel and Titan gear Cheesy

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Rasczak wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:10am:
Yup, the days when we were using greensteel and Titan gear Cheesy

I still use greensteel...

Even at epic levels.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Rasczak wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:54am:

Because at that time the norm, once you were out of the lower harbor was to zerg Waterworks for market entrance, and then you joined the Redwillow, Gwylan, Stormcleave, Korromar, VON train.
( each done with 3/4 levels difference, so you ended in VON by LVL 5/6 )

They couldn't just let people do that, since it meant that ended farming Co6 and Southern to reach cap.

They hated the fact that we were doing quests way beyond our level, and the whiny mass hated those that could pull it out and wanted an easy button.

Thus the bravery bonus ( which is not brave at all ) and the retarded streak ( to compensate for the removal of the underlevel bonus... ). More people are able to pull the BB and the L33t streak than people were able to pull the full underlevel bonus.

But the sad part is that the stupid streak has 3 discrete level : No Streak, Hard Streak, l33t streak
and you have to keep it up, while the old underlevel bonus had 5 level : no bonus, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% and could be chosen for each and every quest.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:47am:
Because at that time the norm, once you were out of the lower harbor was to zerg Waterworks for market entrance, and then you joined the Redwillow, Gwylan, Stormcleave, Korromar, VON train.

They couldn't just let people do that, since it meant that ended farming Co6 and Southern to reach cap.

They hated the fact that we were doing quests way beyond our level, and the whiny mass hated those that could pull it out and wanted an easy button.

Thus the bravery bonus ( which is not brave at all ) and the retarded streak ( to compensate for the removal of the underlevel bonus... ). More people are able to pull the BB and the L33t streak than people were able to pull the full underlevel bonus.

But the sad part is that the stupid streak has 3 discrete level : No Streak, Hard Streak, l33t streak
and you have to keep it up, while the old underlevel bonus had 5 level : no bonus, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% and could be chosen for each and every quest.

To be fair, Running with the Devils was much, much easier back then.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 3:47am:

Elite Favor requirement trumps all retarded streaks/ non-streaks/ under-level/ upper-level/ mid-level/ bullshit/ non-bullshit bonuses to xp.   Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint