Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) So. What do you think of the new content? (Read 32765 times)
Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Re: So. What do you think of the new content?
Reply #100 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:28am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm:
What about:
Undermountain
S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Dungeonland Tongue

Yes, yes, and HELL yes. 

Castle Amber was one of my players favorite quests EVER.  All of those (and the aforementioned ToH) = WINNING

IP Logged

Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Reply #101 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
While we're at it, Keep on the Borderlands & the Caves of Chaos would (in retrospect) have been FAR superior to Korthos for introducing new players to DDO...

How cool would that have been for old school flavor?

(Why yes, I am THAT old...)

IP Logged

Var
Korthos Resident

Reply #102 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
MajMal, since you guys have most of the models/tech consider doing the City of Wyrmshadows.  Jaezred Chaulssin city with half drow / half shadow dragon types.  Eric Boyd did a great module for WotC (Dragons of Faerun, part 3).   You've got this huge explorer area in the under dark, put some more places in it to explore!

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:08am:
First ToH reward is a statue for your guild. A demi lich head on a pillar. Smiley Peacocking FTW

Random...
So, endgame, random dungeons, random placement, with a random boss?

Im open to anything which reduces the ability of brute force and sheer weight of numbers of pots to beat content.

Surely you guys get that this is killing the game? P2W is not just a complaint from people who dont have money. Its a complaint from people who see a completely unbalanced game.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #104 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:54pm:
Im open to anything which reduces the ability of brute force and sheer weight of numbers of pots to beat content.

Surely you guys get that this is killing the game? P2W is not just a complaint from people who dont have money. Its a complaint from people who see a completely unbalanced game.

I don't see why it matters if it CAN be brute forced with store shit.  I run with groups that don't, and always have.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #105 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:30pm:
Challenge- ah the arms race. It's a tough one. I do agree moar hit points is not the answer.

need a better ai really, but that would cause more lag issue's  Cry

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:30am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:08am:
Random...
So, endgame, random dungeons, random placement, with a random boss?

Random dungeons? As in Dirty Laundry with two possible layouts of the quest, but with a much larger area and more than two possible layouts? Or as in The Chamber of Kourush where the end boss can spawn in several different spots? Or as in the Wizard King where the end boss and two minibosses can randomly appear in different towers? Or something entirely different?

Random placement? As in Shroud Part 2 and 3 or Storm the Beaches, where players are randomly placed in different spots in the dungeon and sometimes not even together?

Random bosses? As in Missing in Action where three different end boss could spawn? Or the original Extraplanar Palace where a Lich could sometimes spawn instead of Devashta?

The answer is yes, yes, yes and YES! These techniques should have been used much more more often years ago.

You can throw in more random traps, which already exist in some of the Gianthold quests. Also, you can throw in more quests that give players the option on which end fight they want to complete, as found in Sins of Attrition and Genesis Point.

Now if you mix and match some of these things in a few different quests, you've got a winning combination for future quests. These future quests would probably have more replayability since each run would be slightly different. Also with random bosses, mini-bosses or even regular mobs would throw a wrench in some preplanned tactics that players might have, as the Lich from Extraplanar Palace utterly destroyed many casters tactics while  Devashta was a threat to melees before she was toned down.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #107 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:38am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 8:13am:
Another classic would be G1-3, D1-3 and Q1. We have every single asset already built to pull that off.

Do it!  Do it now!  DO IT!

I absolutely want to play those modules in DDO.  That series was my all-time-favourite content that I didn't write myself.  Dammit, you ALREADY HAVE ALL THE ENVIRONMENTS!  I seriously thought that when you released MotU it was going to be based on Queen of the Demonweb Pits: hell, you even implemented the no-teleport rule in the Demonweb, just like the modules.

Alright, so they were Greyhawk and not FR, but still.  Just do it, do it now.  I will spend money again if you build them faithfully.

Ahhh... the memories.  I swear on everything I hold dear that I will shamelessly promote DDO absolutely everywhere I go if you give us the opportunity to burn down the Hill Giants' stockade, which was how my party dealt with that particular situation when I played it back in 1990 or so  Grin

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #108 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:38am:
Do it!  Do it now!  DO IT!

I absolutely want to play those modules in DDO.  That series was my all-time-favourite content that I didn't write myself.  Dammit, you ALREADY HAVE ALL THE ENVIRONMENTS!  I seriously thought that when you released MotU it was going to be based on Queen of the Demonweb Pits: hell, you even implemented the no-teleport rule in the Demonweb, just like the modules.

Alright, so they were Greyhawk and not FR, but still.  Just do it, do it now.  I will spend money again if you build them faithfully.

Ahhh... the memories.  I swear on everything I hold dear that I will shamelessly promote DDO absolutely everywhere I go if you give us the opportunity to burn down the Hill Giants' stockade, which was how my party dealt with that particular situation when I played it back in 1990 or so  Grin

There might be a devastating problem - don't those modules have ladders in them?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #109 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Undermountain could be good, if and only if the crazier elements are maintained, or it'll get a bit samey.  You should definitely have the restrictions on teleporting and even recalling on the lower levels.  *Releasing* out on death is fine, but if you want to get out without walking you have to make it to one of the portals...  Wink

Also: Temple of Elemental Evil.  You know you want to.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

KingLurker
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #110 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:31am
Print Post  
HH, is very nice to start with...
New area, nice ..very nice feeling on explorer, liked the surprise of the emissary rare...i was on my melee and got vaporised..
Raids, i loved both... 2 red dragons getting wild on you , having 12 people splt in a flat piece of land trying to avoid the dragons fireballs and all...mobs from everywhere with couple big bad ellies, althought their hit points are not even funny mind you, - details- and then a shadow dracolich... with puzzles and more puzzles (i could maybe add or two more major fights along the way with extra loot, we all love moar loot but DETAILS)

(DEEEEEEEEEEP Breath)
Yes it was very nice all of it, just there was some extruciating lag...dying due to lag on explorer area was no fun, wiping raid due to lag from spawning red alert out of thin air...was no fun....lagging mid air on dracolich fight and found myself dead along with half party...was no fun. Lag needs top priority to get rid off.

What i would like to see....FR wise, Undermountain..people here added some spicy  ideas, like the randomness of the mobs/treasure etc, and undermountain is notorius for its randomness. Random bossess ...make also a small chance for that rumour about Tarrasque been trapped in there to appear in secret level etc ^^?

Back to hiding and drooling over possibilities...

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #111 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Half Elf Creeper wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:30am:
... Keep on the Borderlands & the Caves of Chaos ...

Ah my first love.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #112 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Love things that are not 100% scripted.  More randomness = more fun.  Things that should more random: trap locations, beasty strategy, even number and types of beasties.  An awesome tech would be to have random maps too!

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

tachyon
Titan Demolisher

Reply #113 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Var wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:04pm:
MajMal, since you guys have most of the models/tech consider doing the City of Wyrmshadows.  Jaezred Chaulssin city with half drow / half shadow dragon types.  Eric Boyd did a great module for WotC (Dragons of Faerun, part 3).   You've got this huge explorer area in the under dark, put some more places in it to explore!

Agreeing with you on the Underdark part. It's a pretty impressive explorer area, but it only has one quest..... It would be nice to see more done with it.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #114 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:21am:
Love things that are not 100% scripted.  More randomness = more fun.  Things that should more random: trap locations, beasty strategy, even number and types of beasties.  An awesome tech would be to have random maps too!

agreed, tho imho totally random map will kill the story. i d prefer dungeon with choices n branches - like in dirty laundry, sins or genesis point - where u choose ur way to advance.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #115 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:21am
Print Post  
tachyon wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:12am:
Agreeing with you on the Underdark part. It's a pretty impressive explorer area, but it only has one quest..... It would be nice to see more done with it.

actually random generated underdark with totaly random encounters and features, where one can get inevitably lost wo other chance to get back thasn recall would be awesome - and actually beliavable

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:19am:
agreed, tho imho totally random map will kill the story. i d prefer dungeon with choices n branches - like in dirty laundry, sins or genesis point - where u choose ur way to advance.

The Demonweb is another good example of being random with a static map.

The problem with the Demonweb is that it is a wilderness area that players must pass through to get to the actual quests and only one of the variations makes that easy. If the design of the Demonweb was incorporated into a quest or a couple of quests, instead of being a wilderness area, the reception of this tech would have been much better.

IP Logged

Sibilant Shadow
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #117 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
My only problem with the Haunted Halls is that for the price all 3 versions of the quest should have given favor not just the first version. They also should have included the owlbear lair and made a second quest using Rivior's Keep from the original module.

The quest is a near perfect version of whats presented in the original module, the map, the mobs, the traps, even the moving painting, its all there from the module.

I figure most of the cost was to pay Ed Greenwood for the narration and the rights to use his module in game. Which is fine with me. I'd be willing to pay this price to see pen and paper modules ported to the game, especially this well.

I've ran it 2x a day or more since it launched and enjoyed it more than the new raids that cost 100tp less. And the items are actually really good, most of my toons are wearing the necklace and my toons that can get traps are now sporting the manuals. I've gotten my money's worth from it.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 8:13am:
Another classic would be G1-3, D1-3 and Q1. We have every single asset already built to pull that off.

thoughts?

OMG yes make it. There's at least a years worth of updates or an Expansion pack worth of content in there.

IT also has a great story, a variety of locations, varying enemies, and some great bosses.

Though I haven't seen any Kuo-Toa in the game yet. You need those for D-2 Huh

Most of all it would be nice to fight a Lolth that isn't just a belly button on the screen.

Make it the sequel to CITW. Lolth promised she'd make us pay and we'd meet again. Make it happen. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:10pm by Sibilant Shadow »  

IP Logged

Azithoth
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #118 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:12am:
Also: Temple of Elemental Evil.  You know you want to.

no.

i played that in pnp and the pc 3.5 version. didn't like either. mainly becuase of the temple itself, the rest was ok, but the temple was boring as shit.

my vote; all that glitters. going through the mountain making the windgates usable with devils and the like attacking would be cool. then working out the ashmire would top it off  http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9218.phtml

edit; the slave lords series wouldn't be bad either...
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:42am by Azithoth »  

IP Logged

Lemming
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #119 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
LAG!!!!

Anyway both new raids are fun and I really like the dargon voiceover in Temple of the Deathwyrm.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #120 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 5:48am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:46pm:
And what reward should someone get for finally completing this insanity?  Nothing.

If you actually have the crazy skills/time/cash to win this run, the last thing you need is more gear.   No, the prize for this run is purely cosmetic.

My suggestion would be permanent scarring, ala dragonmarks.  And something visibly non-trivial - for tactical purposes, folks tend to scroll way out, and if you've survived this, people should know.  Like burn marks, or partial necroscopy.  With 'better' marks for norm, hard, elite, where elite is perhaps a 1 in a 100 completion rate.  Even with repeat winners.

I would even make the marking so intense that it persists, lightly, on TRs.

You just want your character to look more like a necromancer.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #121 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 8:24am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 23rd, 2014 at 5:48am:
You just want your character to look more like a necromancer.

You've never read the Tomb of Horrors module or you've never been at the receiving end of it.

The rewards suggested by The Oracle are fitting.
Forget Mana Pots, Forget Bells, The most important Items are going to be : Raise Cakes and Efreeti Anvils. ( you'll need to have a big stack of the first one... the second one is to repair your gear once you've died enough time for it to start breaking )

ToH is THAT nasty.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #122 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 23rd, 2014 at 8:24am:
ToH is THAT nasty.

I would rather play S1-4 Realms of Horror than GDQ1-7. I am not sure how that would play out anyway with a deamonweb already ingame via the motu expansion. Does turbine jump ship from FR and head so blatently into grayhawk? I just think the S-series would be a nice change of pace, although harder for turbine to implement  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 9:28am
Print Post  
most of S serie is imho independent on outer setting, there is not big story behind ToH or Tsojcanth, so it can be placed anywhere.

IP Logged

jaggedmonk
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Its a pipe dream, but I'd like to see Dragon Mountain. 
The quest to find the mountain could be placed as multiple short flagging quests. 
Kobold AI would have to vastly improve for the mountain portion, as they should be kept with low HP and devious tactics to maintain module flavor. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint