Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) So. What do you think of the new content? (Read 32739 times)
The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Re: So. What do you think of the new content?
Reply #75 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 8:13am:
6 bucks for a dungeon is stupidly overpriced?

Go buy a module for pen and paper--I just dropped 35 bucks for one.

Not just a dungeon, a module brought to frickin' life!   Epic.

If we were ever going to do such a thing again-is there any particular module you would love to see in DDO?

Tomb of Horrors, made like the real pen 'n paper experience.  To quote Heavy Metal, "he dies, she dies, everybody dies."

As the game stands, there are multiple paths to awesome characters.   First, skill - some people are just plain good.  Second, grind.  You can TR/completionist your way to awesome.   And finally, pay to win.  An unfortunate creep-in, +5 supreme tomes and XP stuff mean PTW is here and here to stay.

What I'm suggesting is Tomb of Horrors, with the actual horror.  Dialed up to the point where at least one of the above is the price of entry.

The game already has "this quest is challenging," so DDO has always understood that there are some people who want a greater challenge.  What I'm suggesting is take one of the most brutal modules ever, bring it to life, and give the OCD crowd something to do.  Literally, dial it up to the point where you have to say "This quest is fatal.  Few, if any, are expected to survive."  And by few, I mean party wipe is normal.  At least 50% of the time.

Consider basic game theory - if you can't lose, you can't win.  There is no such thing as win without the risk of loss.

Give the best something they're actually afraid of.   This means yes, many won't even try it, or never be able to.  Probably most.  People role play because in real life they're not heroes.  But there is a certain contingent that plays hard, and the TR/completionist/PTW crowd needs something that bites back.

A must?  Threats have to be randomized.  No one should be able to memorize this run.  Play for real or go home.

Tomb of Horrors, with horrors.  The game needs a suicide booth.

P.S.

And what reward should someone get for finally completing this insanity?  Nothing.

If you actually have the crazy skills/time/cash to win this run, the last thing you need is more gear.   No, the prize for this run is purely cosmetic.

My suggestion would be permanent scarring, ala dragonmarks.  And something visibly non-trivial - for tactical purposes, folks tend to scroll way out, and if you've survived this, people should know.  Like burn marks, or partial necroscopy.  With 'better' marks for norm, hard, elite, where elite is perhaps a 1 in a 100 completion rate.  Even with repeat winners.

I would even make the marking so intense that it persists, lightly, on TRs.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
You just know people would be asking for nerfs as soon as ToH was released.

Especially if it had insta-kill 50/50 random choices.

ToH was Greyhawk though wasnt it? So it would have the same issue as Temple of Elemental Evil?

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #77 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 5:47pm:

You are of course correct.  People would ask the first day they with their 'uber' chars couldn't solo it.

I am suggesting a line in the sand module, one where they simply say "no."  PUGable, maybe.  Solo-able no.  And I'm someone who's 90+% solo, so take the hint.  I would hate this, but it's what the game needs.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #78 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
The game needs end game content which isnt cleared on the highest difficulty on the very first attempt.

It is ridiculous that the only requirement to completing content is the willingness to invest in an insane number of pots (which is not discounting the ability of the players, or their ability to all roll Monkchers).

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 5:47pm:

Especially if it had insta-kill 50/50 random choices.

ToH was Greyhawk though wasnt it? So it would have the same issue as Temple of Elemental Evil?

That would never be a stopping reason. Greyhawk? ToH is super easy to change to FR.

What about:
Undermountain
S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
S2: White Plume Mountain
Dungeonland Tongue

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Randomized...
In my experience, most players loathe this. I personally love it.
Challenge- ah the arms race. It's a tough one. I do agree moar hit points is not the answer.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
tsojcanth was one of the very first i ever played ...pretty clasic one. I died at bodak:)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/map_0503lostcaverns.jpg

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm:
That would never be a stopping reason. Greyhawk? ToH is super easy to change to FR.

What about:
Undermountain
Dungeonland Tongue

Yes

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 11:40pm
Print Post  

What about:
Undermountain
Dungeonland Tongue

White Plume Mountain was one I remember enjoying. Never played S4.

But really, random mobs and random traps... keep the players on their toes. If they dont have a trapper then everywhere they go they will be wondering if they are about to explode - or summon a red alert amount of mobs.

Mobs and bosses which have far more options in terms of attack and defence.

And more LONG dungeons !

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Random mobs and trap locations for the hardest module ever made seems fitting. Extremely punishing and high chance of wiping, a lot. So scrolls, raises, and reentries take a toll. Throw some rare named augs in there as loot drop to appease, but that's about it. It was designed for the this game is too ez crowd by Gygax. It forces the devs to be as screwed up as possible. Think of it as your revenge. Tongue

The S series of modules might be the most feasible sets to make becasue they all offer something different unique and fun. Barrier Peaks has potential to be a fun break from normal dungeons and mobs. Make the guns have high Int reqs so mechanics, artys and wiz are the only ones who can use them properly.

More on the random dungeon theme, Tegel Manor has over 200+ rooms. Something that couldnt be completed fully in days. make it with bunch of different sets of mobs and traps randomized throughout the dungeon and many locations for them. Make the red names appear in a few locations scattered so they arent in the same room every time. Give them niche items as chest drops.

Baba yaga's Hut is another huge many random room dungeon. Haunted Halls could be just the begining Cheesy

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #85 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:58am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:46pm:
And what reward should someone get for finally completing this insanity?  Nothing.

If you actually have the crazy skills/time/cash to win this run, the last thing you need is more gear.   No, the prize for this run is purely cosmetic.

^ This.

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #86 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:24am
Print Post  
I would go with Undermountain. Halister(sp?) is probably one of the few FR characters I can bare.

You could probably turn it into an entire area all by itself (like Stormreach or Eveningstar).

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #87 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I really like the raids/quests that use the non-quest areas as dungeons/maps, such as Chrono and Battle for Eveningstar.

How awesome would it be to have a Korthos Rescue Mission with Epic Misery's Peak? This time, you fight to break the snowy curse on Korthos and duke it out with the dragon.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #88 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:38am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:29am:
I really like the raids/quests that use the non-quest areas as dungeons/maps, such as Chrono and Battle for Eveningstar.

How awesome would it be to have a Korthos Rescue Mission with Epic Misery's Peak? This time, you fight to break the snowy curse on Korthos and duke it out with the dragon.

You're supposed to have left Korthos by the latest, lvl 4. There's a whole big wide world out there Cheesy

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:17am
Print Post  
If we were ever going to do such a thing again-is there any particular module you would love to see in DDO?

Tomb of Horrors.  Do it.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:08am
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 11:40pm:
White Plume Mountain was one I remember enjoying. Never played S4.

But really, random mobs and random traps... keep the players on their toes. If they dont have a trapper then everywhere they go they will be wondering if they are about to explode - or summon a red alert amount of mobs.

Mobs and bosses which have far more options in terms of attack and defence.

And more LONG dungeons !

First ToH reward is a statue for your guild. A demi lich head on a pillar. Smiley Peacocking FTW

Random...
So, endgame, random dungeons, random placement, with a random boss?

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #91 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:08am:
Random...So, endgame, random dungeons, random placement, with a random boss?

Random traps in dungeons, like the 3 doors in HH are cool. Random "step-on-me beartraps" are not.
Semi-random levers are ok. Random room placement is not.
Random boss sounds very interesting.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #92 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Ok, I just found out that flawless black robe and the new dragon armor robe are the exact same skin.

That's effin lame.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #93 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Everything is old skin dude, just with idiotic smoke effect to cover that up.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #94 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:13am:
Um, mine died in the Vale by trash mobs on a test run.  You do know the Reaver resets aggro when he throws, right? (not trying to sound like a dick, just asking)

On a side note, little shadow buddy was loads of fun in tonight's Temple of the Deathwyrm until I got told to take it off.  Angry Grin

To clarify, as soon as the reaver was charmed in one run, the shadow took aggro, pulling reaver towards the party instead of the reaver tank. There was no throwing involved. I assume the reaver tank planted a few hits and ran to the other side, while the shadow continued to beat him where he stood until it died, leaving someone in the party as the next closest aggro target.

On the second run in question, I was literally watching his HP drop pixel by pixel, with pixels to go, as truth was at about 20%. If shadow had survived another 2 booms, reaver surely would have dropped with truth at near 10%

Perhaps the shadow scales with the quest? MY CR 30 shadow has like 3-5k hp, incorp 50% miss chance, and hits for over 100 per swing. I would imagine it can solo vale with those stats.

Why were you told to get rid of him in the shadow raid?

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #95 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
They break the crystals once you prep them

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #96 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:36am
Print Post  
People with any pets, summons or cosmetics in any raid should be sent to Alaska.
If your stupid shadow breaks the Phylacetry, you deserve a squelch.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I like my wolf pup cosmetic  Lips Sealed

Specifically having the shadow up in there when everyone is hunting shadows can just be an unnecessary irritation though :

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #98 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:44am
Print Post  
and with that i say again.

shadow should be changed to 'clicky summon' instead of 'summon on hit'

"Hi we made a best in slot item that no one can wear in end game, enjoy reverting to your pre u21 gearsets every time you run any content"

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #99 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:58am
Print Post  

What about:
Undermountain
Dungeonland Tongue

None of that is Dark Sun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint