Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Doom (Read 8003 times)
�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Doom
May 9th, 2014 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Saw this in that LoTRo thread, and applied it to DDO. Clearly it is only people who launch through Steam - possibly some of them have moved on to ddopreload etc.

http://steamcharts.com/app/206480#All

Knew it was happening, just wasn't aware how much.

How do you take something so iconic like Dungeons and Dragons and break it so badly ? I reckon most of us are here because of the memories of good times and old friends it brings back ...

When did they break the original ottos boxes ? Would be interesting to see if that made an impact, i know several people that quit.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2014 at 5:46am by �ed »  

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Re: Doom
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Who the hell uses steam for tracking game time?
You either use xfire or raptr.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 6:25am:
You either use xfire or raptr.

Are you aware that Raptr don't have DDO and xfire shows 9 players (20 hrs/day) for DDO?

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2014 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Raptr has ddo.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2014 at 7:27am
Print Post  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
�ed wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 5:45am:
Saw this in that LoTRo thread, and applied it to DDO. Clearly it is only people who launch through Steam - possibly some of them have moved on to ddopreload etc.

http://steamcharts.com/app/206480#All

Knew it was happening, just wasn't aware how much.

How do you take something so iconic like Dungeons and Dragons and break it so badly ? I reckon most of us are here because of the memories of good times and old friends it brings back ...

When did they break the original ottos boxes ? Would be interesting to see if that made an impact, i know several people that quit.

The starting figures are for July 2012, right after MotU was released, and there was a big spike in the population.
Still, it shows a player loss of about 50% during the last 1.5 year... for those it tracks... seems to be quite accurate with the DDOracle site charts, relatively speaking.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 7:01am:
Raptr has ddo.

You're right.
I was misled by the link for optimization supported games and they don't list DDO there and they seem not to have an easily accessible  list of games. Anyway further to your post, I've googled and found the raptr page for DDO.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:29am
Print Post  
DDO is the reason I switched to raptr from xfire 3 years ago, couldnt use xfire in game, raptr I can use in game.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2014 at 11:10am
Print Post  
April 2013 = Enhancement pass on Lama.

Figures.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2014 at 11:11am
Print Post  

Before they quit, some guild friends did. Just because it offered a way to chat outside if we weren't logged in.

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
TheFifthSock wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 8:16am:
The starting figures are for July 2012, right after MotU was released, and there was a big spike in the population.
Still, it shows a player loss of about 50% during the last 1.5 year... for those it tracks... seems to be quite accurate with the DDOracle site charts, relatively speaking.

I think it coincides with the team not giving a shit about their game and releasing garbage.

MajMal's response about the dice not resetting every 24 hours was pretty much a shrug and a "game development is hard". Shows the kind of pride in they take in their work and their product.

Until they start giving a shit about the quality of their product I foresee more debacles and less players.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2014 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 11:10am:
April 2013 = Enhancement pass on Lama.

Figures.

The drop after the Enhancement Crash is radical...
With numbers like that it's tough to consider it as something good for the game.
It would be interesting to have the real numbers from the servers.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 1:44pm:
With numbers like that it's tough to consider it as something good for the game.

Yup, this is what jumped out at me too.  It's also when I took a 10 month break from
the game (which I highly recommend).

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I know the two most active players in my guild (and i am talking 5-8 hours a day player) took a dip in the enhancement pass pool and walked out the door.  One of them was paying for 3 VIP subs at the time due to altitis.

Tried to convince them to return of late and they just aren't interested.  They didn't jump ship to another MMO either, they just up and quit cold turkey and honestly I don't think there is anything sort of rolling back to MOTU that would entice them.

Can't say as I blame them.  Character building got about 1000 times more boring after the 1-2 punch of MOTU and the Enhancement pass.  I know I am probably down to 3 or 4 hours a week when I used to grind that a night easily.   More often than not I log in to check auctions and roll the dice and then log out.

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
50% seems right. A few new people from time to time but mainly hemorrhaging players. Don't know if those who remain were bigger spenders or not - if they lost 50% mostly free players they wouldnt care probably.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #15 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  

But...but...MajMal said 2013 was a GOOD year?  They got bonuses even?
I guess their KPI was based on trimming server loads then.....
Grin
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2014 at 6:26pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Daze
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama! I do ...
I really do.

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Isn't it the same drop seen after every expansion?

I mean the enhancement pass didn't kill anything off as far as builds go .... or more accurately, it didn't kill off build variety anymore than any other game change with the exception of Epic Elite mob inflation.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  

Yeah it drove my entire guild out, I took a break up to the card event, but even now only have bothered to pick enhancements on 4 of my 30+ characters and play maybe a couple quests a week. And with those pathetic numbers, I'm the most active member of my guild! And we've spent close to $1,000.00 or more in the past 4 years, but I doubt any of us will spend any more now. We're still playing together, but rarely here.

And it's not becaue it "broke" our characters, it's because we don't want to take the time to learn a whole new set of enhancements and what is broken, and finally get it sorted out only to have them break it again or re-balance or whatever they call it.

I play the game to play it, not to re-learn the rules and workarounds every time I turn around.

They say 2013 was a great year, but the Alexa numbers look terrible - they dropped from a peak rank of around 20k to barely poking their head above 100k. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ddo.com I hope they invested their bonuses wisely, I can't imagine many more are coming.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

BAMBIBEER
Dragon Raider

Stink puss

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Well was fun for five years . At the start hot dam .Cool online game that was D&D based now, urgh . Fuckos  are running the world again.  Cry Time to learn write some new code

IP Logged

Daze
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama! I do ...
I really do.

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 8:56pm:
Yeah it drove my entire guild out, I took a break up to the card event, but even now only have bothered to pick enhancements on 4 of my 30+ characters and play maybe a couple quests a week. And with those pathetic numbers, I'm the most active member of my guild! And we've spent close to $1,000.00 or more in the past 4 years, but I doubt any of us will spend any more now. We're still playing together, but rarely here.

And it's not becaue it "broke" our characters, it's because we don't want to take the time to learn a whole new set of enhancements and what is broken, and finally get it sorted out only to have them break it again or re-balance or whatever they call it.

I play the game to play it, not to re-learn the rules and workarounds every time I turn around.

They say 2013 was a great year, but the Alexa numbers look terrible - they dropped from a peak rank of around 20k to barely poking their head above 100k. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ddo.com I hope they invested their bonuses wisely, I can't imagine many more are coming.

Makes sense to me. Can't keep changing the game and breaking/nerfing rules. Although I do see their dilemma .... I doubt anyone in 2006 foresaw what this game would have to contend with 8 years later.

If only they showed the same consistency in game as they do with adhering to rules on what they can publicly communicate.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2014 at 9:30pm by Daze »  

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:31pm
Print Post  

People who install DDO through Steam?  Smiley  That was me, until I realized how many hours I was wasting, so I changed the launch shortcut.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

BAMBIBEER
Dragon Raider

Stink puss

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
My beef . Um dead cow Bacon is this when i found out this beast was D&D fuck YA ! Now no D&D rule base  what so ever . No team play, no adearing to Clasic D&D 3.5 rules
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2014 at 9:42pm by BAMBIBEER »  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #22 - May 9th, 2014 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Look who fell off the wagon again.
WeLcOmE bAcK.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - May 9th, 2014 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Groo The Wanderer wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 5:31pm:
I know the two most active players in my guild (and i am talking 5-8 hours a day player) took a dip in the enhancement pass pool and walked out the door.  One of them was paying for 3 VIP subs at the time due to altitis.

Are you from QE?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2014 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Daze wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 9:29pm:
If only they showed the same consistency in game as they do with adhering to rules on what they can publicly communicate.

LOL, yeah, I'd love it if they'd swap those 2! But no, the broken communication policies are graven in stone and the game rules are traced on water.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint