Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Doom (Read 8008 times)
BAMBIBEER
Dragon Raider

Stink puss

Re: Doom
Reply #25 - May 10th, 2014 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Yes the door is wide open for new fun time . And its no turdbine  d-d crap

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #26 - May 10th, 2014 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Daze wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 6:37pm:
I mean the enhancement pass didn't kill anything off as far as builds go

True, but It killed the will of many players... Wasting 2 to 6 Hours rebuilding a character just because a Derp Dev Wanted to leave it's baby in the game was the killer. ( and multiply that by the number of Alts... since all the people I know that were driven away by it had 15+ characters )

Meursault wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 8:56pm:
Yeah it drove my entire guild out,

It drove 6 people away from mine. 2 of them being RL friends... So I know it's specifically the crash and the nightmare of spending hours to try to repair the damages that drove them off.

One went back to play Civ and design new campaigns for ToAW, the other got more time to spend with her Kobold.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #27 - May 10th, 2014 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 1:44pm:
The drop after the Enhancement Crash is radical...
With numbers like that it's tough to consider it as something good for the game.
It would be interesting to have the real numbers from the servers.

Indeed. I doubt we'll ever know. But the cutbacks and job losses seem to bear out what they were warned; finish class pres, not add a new system. They did the opposite and then the logins tanked.

I don't think you should always listen to your players - we're a fickle, spiteful bunch at times - but on this issue I think they dropped the ball by not paying attention.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2014 at 6:18am by kum-gulp »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #28 - May 10th, 2014 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Groo The Wanderer wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 5:31pm:
I know the two most active players in my guild (and i am talking 5-8 hours a day player) took a dip in the enhancement pass pool and walked out the door.  One of them was paying for 3 VIP subs at the time due to altitis.

Very familiar story. "Shall I repair all the damage or just walk?" Most I know chose the latter, even similarly committed players.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #29 - May 10th, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on May 10th, 2014 at 6:18am:
Indeed. I doubt we'll ever know. But the cutbacks and job losses seem to bear out what they were warned; finish class pres, not add a new system. They did the opposite and then the logins tanked.

I don't think you should always listen to your players - we're a fickle, spiteful bunch at times - but on this issue I think they dropped the ball by not paying attention.

It's the producers job to make the tough calls.
They need to balance clients wants with innovation.
You can't appeal to just a minority, and you can't just let your devs do what they want.
There needs to be a plan (which we know they have cause everything that happens is on it), and decisions made along the way.
There will be missteps and problems, which you need to adjust for.
MOTU was pretty good by my measure.

But I have to say that Turdbine surprises me with some colossal miscalculations that can only be ascribed to not listening/caring.  There is an arrogance in their mgmt culture.

I agree that players don't always know what they need or what is best for the game, but there are ways to communicate, and Turdbine ...... just don't.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #30 - May 10th, 2014 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 10th, 2014 at 7:05am:
It's the producers job to make the tough calls.
They need to balance clients wants with innovation.
You can't appeal to just a minority, and you can't just let your devs do what they want.
There needs to be a plan (which we know they have cause everything that happens is on it), and decisions made along the way.
There will be missteps and problems, which you need to adjust for.
MOTU was pretty good by my measure.

But I have to say that Turdbine surprises me with some colossal miscalculations that can only be ascribed to not listening/caring.  There is an arrogance in their mgmt culture.

I agree that players don't always know what they need or what is best for the game, but there are ways to communicate, and Turdbine ...... just don't.

Well said!

I don't expect them to do exactly what we say, but I expect them to listen to what we say because there is often crucial information there.

And the arrogance is palpable. Even if you turn out to be right, that attitude just turns every interaction into a confrontation.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #31 - May 12th, 2014 at 8:36am
Print Post  
I didn't know people still hated Enhancements. I only ever had a problem with splitting up class abilities, I don't have any issues with the enhancement setup. (I have problems with things like stalwart stances requiring shields etc. though but that's a separate issue and not the enhancement system)

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #32 - May 12th, 2014 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 10th, 2014 at 2:39am:
True, but It killed the will of many players... Wasting 2 to 6 Hours rebuilding a character just because a Derp Dev Wanted to leave it's baby in the game was the killer. ( and multiply that by the number of Alts... since all the people I know that were driven away by it had 15+ characters )

It drove 6 people away from mine. 2 of them being RL friends... So I know it's specifically the crash and the nightmare of spending hours to try to repair the damages that drove them off.

One went back to play Civ and design new campaigns for ToAW, the other got more time to spend with her Kobold.

I can understand this perspective.
However, I actually didn't mind the concept of the enhancement pass as it freshened the game up for me.  It got people re-discovering and allowed a little more customisation.  Yes, it can be tedious I agree, but it is something new to discover if you were bored.

What I didn't like was the half-baked implementation.  Incomplete trees, unbalanced trees and a lot of things that did not work and did not get fixed with the same alacrity that exploits get fixed.  And most of these things were known during testing, but it was still pushed Live.

And the devs were impressed by Deadlock's PDF document showing all the trees.  How did the devs not already have something like this during development.  How do you do balancing and refinement without an overview document???  It explains a lot.  Each tree is allocated to a separate dev who develops in isolation.  The Turbine culture of working in silos is so dysfunctional.

So there were people who did take the time to study the trees and build a toon only to find out that things were not working properly or broken.   The players had to do the testing for them.  And instead of granting GM's the power to reset trees for free, people had to pay to reset buggy trees.  Now that is plain daft.  I would have provided a month or two of free changes to encourage people to play with it, find the bugs, report it and move on.
But nope, another potential positive was turned into shooting oneself in the proverbial foot!  Sigh.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2014 at 8:48am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #33 - May 12th, 2014 at 9:09am
Print Post  
For staying in touch with gamer pals, steam is pretty good. I have friends i have accumulated over many years from many games.

If 10% of the population use Steam, and the percentages project then it is fairly interesting to look at.

Would be very insightful to see updates projected onto this. There is that ddostat site, but their stats are very old. I really miss myddo.

The problem with massive changes is that they give you some shitty LR, when in fact most people have perfected their builds over several TR's (and ITR/ETR now). Every time they make a major change they are selling hearts = ££.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #34 - May 12th, 2014 at 10:58am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 12th, 2014 at 8:47am:
I can understand this perspective.
However, I actually didn't mind the concept of the enhancement pass as it freshened the game up for me.  It got people re-discovering and allowed a little more customisation.  Yes, it can be tedious I agree, but it is something new to discover if you were bored.

I don't mind the change either... My problem is with how it was done ( scrap the old system and make a new one ) and ...

What I didn't like was the half-baked implementation.  Incomplete trees, unbalanced trees and a lot of things that did not work and did not get fixed with the same alacrity that exploits get fixed.  And most of these things were known during testing, but it was still pushed Live.

THIS.

And the devs were impressed by Deadlock's PDF document showing all the trees.  How did the devs not already have something like this during development.  How do you do balancing and refinement without an overview document???  It explains a lot.  Each tree is allocated to a separate dev who develops in isolation.  The Turbine culture of working in silos is so dysfunctional.

Open Space Office is sold as the way to make exchange of ideas efficient... Since I moved to an open space I don't exchange much with my colleagues... Before when we were in small offices of 4/6 people we chatted a lot.

As for the PDF... They probably have a nice Powerpoint Slide that is so filled with things that it's useless.
( I have colleagues do that with network architecture... I told them that theyir overloaded PPT was so useless that I was going to redo it with layers ( for the various networks ) under Visio... since then they are all using my Visio. )

So there were people who did take the time to study the trees and build a toon only to find out that things were not working properly or broken.   The players had to do the testing for them.  And instead of granting GM's the power to reset trees for free, people had to pay to reset buggy trees.  Now that is plain daft.  I would have provided a month or two of free changes to encourage people to play with it, find the bugs, report it and move on.
But nope, another potential positive was turned into shooting oneself in the proverbial foot!  Sigh.

Honestly if they had done it the way people wanted it to be done : Fit the old system into trees ( it was possible ) it wouldn't have driven off so many.
And the time not wasted into making new enhancements could have been spent on fixing broken thigs or creating more trees.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #35 - May 12th, 2014 at 11:01am
Print Post  
�ed wrote on May 12th, 2014 at 9:09am:
For staying in touch with gamer pals, steam is pretty good. I have friends i have accumulated over many years from many games.

If 10% of the population use Steam, and the percentages project then it is fairly interesting to look at.

Would be very insightful to see updates projected onto this. There is that ddostat site, but their stats are very old. I really miss myddo.

The problem with massive changes is that they give you some shitty LR, when in fact most people have perfected their builds over several TR's (and ITR/ETR now). Every time they make a major change they are selling hearts = ££.

10%?
Grin
More like 1%.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #36 - May 12th, 2014 at 10:39pm
Print Post  

Pretty much all of this.

I am constantly amazed at how Turbine apparently functions as an organization. The company has been around for quite a while now, but still has all the characteristics of a start up:

1) No overall plan worth talking about
2) No apparent documentation of how the game fits together, either internal or external
3) No professional standards for its employees (MajMal, with his background in TV, as the head of QA. No wonder the game is a train wreck from a quality stand point.)
4) A complete inability to communicate clearly and consistently with its customers.
5) Version control of its software is some kind of black art.

Finally, the level of hubris is simply out of control. Catch lightning in a bottle, obtain some initial success, and then just coast along with a "this is how we always have done it" attitude. At the same time, the competition is just getting better. The end to that kind of story is pretty clear, and we have a front row seat from which to watch the implosion.

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #37 - May 12th, 2014 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I think the best move would be to sell the DDO name to another (better) company.

Like Zynga.

Or the maker of Flappy Bird.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 25th, 2014 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
doom doom doom do-da-doom doom doom doom!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint