Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO Amnesty Day (Read 10423 times)
Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Re: DDO Amnesty Day
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 10:25am:
they should bring back ALL the exploits for 24 hours

i bet it would attract more returning players than any other campaign short of paying the players

lol, that's so true it's sad.

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #26 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
qweeve wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 9:00am:
If only there were some means of sending messages over the internet.  Something like mail, only electronic.  Eh, I'm just talking crazy talk.

I was simply referring to the fact that not everyone keeps the same email address, and maybe not an up to date one - especially on old game accounts.  I don't go back and change my emails on games I played 5 years ago.

IP Logged

CaptainObvious
Korthos Resident

I may not know what I'm
talking about

Reply #27 - May 17th, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I'm not exactly against the idea, but how would servers hold up to an increase of players all logging in at one time. Should people not be able to log in, or just having a laggy experience in general would be very bad for Turbine. If it was just a surprise sort of deal and they sent everyone on their email list a message, I would hope it would be 2-3 days of VIP so if someone did want to play through it they wouldn't waste most of their time downloading and installing the client. Otherwise, give a few days to a weeks notice and allow people to spread the news so it's no surprise to anyone.

IP Logged

Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Reply #28 - May 17th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
CaptainObvious wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 8:16pm:
I'm not exactly against the idea, but how would servers hold up to an increase of players all logging in at one time. Should people not be able to log in, or just having a laggy experience in general would be very bad for Turbine. If it was just a surprise sort of deal and they sent everyone on their email list a message, I would hope it would be 2-3 days of VIP so if someone did want to play through it they wouldn't waste most of their time downloading and installing the client. Otherwise, give a few days to a weeks notice and allow people to spread the news so it's no surprise to anyone.

If it brings that many people back I would not mind a little extra lag for a couple days, if it meant some folks coming back. They obviously would have to get the server ready for that. But I honestly doubt that many people would return.

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #29 - May 17th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of encouraging new blood.  Anything is better than nothing.

I will play devil's advocate.

We already have Steiner complaining that Harbor will be too hard without ship buffs.

So, people that have been away a year or more come back.

Complain how their character is all whacked.  Spend half the day figuring out the enhancements and complain.

Complain about their build.  Use the Reincarnation stones and complain.

Their characters will have Burden of FeatherofSun items on and complain.

How they are not in a guild and complain because they are gimp.

They won't realize that half of the gear they have doesn't drop anymore and might be worth plat.  Some smart exploiter will figure it out and offer all the old players 100 plat for each of the level 1 Underwater Action Items.

Turbine did give out a freebie where we could get and give FREE guest passes for adventure packs we owned.  It did not work out as Turbine had hoped because it has not been repeated.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #30 - May 17th, 2014 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Since people are fucking stupid and incompetent. I am going to rip off every single semi successful MMO in the universe. Here is a fucking idea, not even patented, that would be far superior. Check this shit out, fucking brilliant, and it works as a business model. This is what you fucking ignorant hicks get for bringing up the stupidest fucking ideas from what I can only assume is your ass since the idea is nothing but shit.

Send an email to all non active accounts, basically stating that when they login into their account, they get a weeks worth of being a VIP. For 7 days after they login, they can be treated as a VIP (minus the astral shards for obvious reasons to anyone that can use their brain).

Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK. HOLY FUCK!

You can thank me later.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #31 - May 17th, 2014 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 11:01pm:
Since people are fucking stupid and incompetent. I am going to rip off every single semi successful MMO in the universe. Here is a fucking idea, not even patented, that would be far superior. Check this shit out, fucking brilliant, and it works as a business model. This is what you fucking ignorant hicks get for bringing up the stupidest fucking ideas from what I can only assume is your ass since the idea is nothing but shit.

Send an email to all non active accounts, basically stating that when they login into their account, they get a weeks worth of being a VIP. For 7 days after they login, they can be treated as a VIP (minus the astral shards for obvious reasons to anyone that can use their brain).

You can thank me later.

Hi, Welcome to the conversation.

Reply #9 is pretty similar to what you said.  See below.

SwashbucklerHater wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 5:05am:
Why only 1 day? Other games with a monthly fee are sending once or twice a year codes to players (who haven't log in since some months) which give 7 days free 'VIP'.

Would be a chance to get people coming back to farm items from packs they don't own but always wanted to have. And some of them might continue to play after these 7 days for a while again.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #32 - May 18th, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Yes, but it had no flair.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #33 - May 18th, 2014 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 12:19am:
Yes, but it had no flair.

True, it did lack the Holy fuck.
Nice touch btw.
Wink

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #34 - May 18th, 2014 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 11:01pm:

You can thank me later.

Ah, MapleStory... All those Holy Fucking E-mails, asking me to come back.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2014 at 1:27am by Bones »  

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #35 - May 18th, 2014 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Current players are given an incentive to bring back former players

Similar to "recruit" 3 accounts and get gelatinous cube

Existing account gets a cosmetic item or pet for bringing back a former player. Former players that return get a week of VIP.

Forums would get increased activity of people offering to give referrals and others asking to be referred.

Really determined recruiters would get word of mouth out through various social media channels and other forums

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #36 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I would never suggest to my friends to play this husk of a game.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 4:31pm:

ugh I wish they would just do a DDO 2 already.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #38 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 4:31pm:

Yeah, this.

3-4 years ago, I actively talked about this game on social media, and recruited about 10 people, with I think it was 7 going premium or VIP. The guy who recruited me had also recruited about a dozen others, and most of that crowd also paid.

About a year and a half ago I got a pair of friends to give it a try, with the caveat that the game was having a hard time with quality, but had been much better in the not too distant past, and the producer had promised an improvement. After a week or so they very politely told me they had a hard time finding the entertainment among the bugs.

I haven't embarased myself by inviting anyone to the game since. And if it comes up in conversation, I admit to having played in the past, but warn that quality and population have tanked in recent years and advise they look elsewhere.

I'd love to come out of the closet and admit to playing this game again, but at this point I wouldn't risk it. It would take probably 9 solid months of strictly improving quality to give me the confidence to admit playing again.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - May 19th, 2014 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 4:51pm:
About a year and a half ago I got a pair of friends to give it a try, with the caveat that the game was having a hard time with quality, but had been much better in the not too distant past, and the producer had promised an improvement. After a week or so they very politely told me they had a hard time finding the entertainment among the bugs.

This is bullshit. The only bug that was actually a pain in the ass to deal with was when players could find themselves into a wall and that is fixed.

Other than that, I can't think of any other major bug that is stopping  anyone from playing this game.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #40 - May 19th, 2014 at 8:39am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 4:43pm:
ugh I wish they would just do a DDO 2 already.

If I would be in this business, I wouldn´t do it. Very risky. I rather develop some other stuff.
If you make a DDO2 you will have people sreaming DoooOOoommm in DDO, and moving to OTHER games. Some would move to DDO2, and you would get a few new customers.

All in all, you would have less players in DDO2 than in DDO.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #41 - May 19th, 2014 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I don't recall what they hated most, but there were, and still are, plenty of bugs that bother new players

It starts when you log in and wait 8 minutes only to get a connection to server lost message.

When you do get in, you fight with lag and targeting making your spells miss or not go off at all, even though your spell points are disappearing.

You get a boss stuck in a wall and can't complete

You get hit while opening a required lever and the lever pulls but you don't have the objective checked off

You get stuck on the damn ladder in Baudrey Cartman and have to release

Your hireling goes unresponsive and won't obey commands

Your hireling stands in lava

Your hireling won't heal ranged damage

You complete a quest but your favor does not increase

You disarm the trap in catacombs with delera chasing you, but it blows up anyway

You get logged out transitioning between zones

You run around with dialog boxes open because they won't close

You die from falling damage from jumping over a campfire

Your bag of stuff disappears because you double clicked one in the bank when you had one in inventory

Your weapons go invisible

Your enemies go invisible but can still hit you

Gather on your collectables bag usually fails with no warning or explanation

Did I mention terrible lag?

And bug reporting these problems doesn't work, it's bugged too

And if you ask a gm for help your ticket gets closed apparently without the gm even reading it

So no, nothing a new player would notice  Roll Eyes

And that's just the things that Turdbin has direct control of. The things that are the result of choices they made are harder and slower to fix, but are ultimately still their fault. Like there are no Lfms in your level range, and when you find one you get left in the dust or laughed at for not being self sufficient.

So go ahead and call B.S., but how many players have you brought in over the past 18 months and how many lasted more than a month?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #42 - May 19th, 2014 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 9:03am:
I don't recall what they hated most, but there were, and still are, plenty of bugs that bother new players

It starts when you log in and wait 8 minutes only to get a connection to server lost message.

When you do get in, you fight with lag and targeting making your spells miss or not go off at all, even though your spell points are disappearing.

You get a boss stuck in a wall and can't complete

You get hit while opening a required lever and the lever pulls but you don't have the objective checked off

You get stuck on the damn ladder in Baudrey Cartman and have to release

Your hireling goes unresponsive and won't obey commands

Your hireling stands in lava

Your hireling won't heal ranged damage

You complete a quest but your favor does not increase

You disarm the trap in catacombs with delera chasing you, but it blows up anyway

You get logged out transitioning between zones

You run around with dialog boxes open because they won't close

You die from falling damage from jumping over a campfire

Your bag of stuff disappears because you double clicked one in the bank when you had one in inventory

Your weapons go invisible

Your enemies go invisible but can still hit you

Gather on your collectables bag usually fails with no warning or explanation

Did I mention terrible lag?

And bug reporting these problems doesn't work, it's bugged too

And if you ask a gm for help your ticket gets closed apparently without the gm even reading it

So no, nothing a new player would notice  Roll Eyes

And that's just the things that Turdbin has direct control of. The things that are the result of choices they made are harder and slower to fix, but are ultimately still their fault. Like there are no Lfms in your level range, and when you find one you get left in the dust or laughed at for not being self sufficient.

So go ahead and call B.S., but how many players have you brought in over the past 18 months and how many lasted more than a month?

Good list M.
I had some of my old guildies back and they didn't last long.
May I add to your list?

Player griefing through Turn Undead working on
Palemasters and their summons.

Player griefing through monk finishing moves (hilariously funny for new players in the harbor).

Charges/effects not working through doors/portals despite having been fixed (eg. cleric healing aura).

Implosion (the Cleric oh shit ability when swamped by mobs) taking into account party members and hires - followed by 60 sec cool down.  Awesome.

Invisible barriers in odd places because of poor design (band aid solutions).

Meursault mentioned the falling damage? Now that was fun (you take 6,396 falling damage....walking down stairs) - guess my jump skill wasn't high enough for that 6 inch step.

Hirelings are completely and utterly friggin useless now.  The owlbears suck - they literally stand and do nothing.  The ship dummy would be more help - at least it wouldn't raise the difficulty of the quest.

Ghost lfms - new players are wondering WTF?

Grinding away on defunct crafting systems thinking they are achieving something.

Character creation - default class paths.  Sigh.

So Shuy - anything else in those two lists which might deter a new player(s) from sticking around?
Undecided

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #43 - May 19th, 2014 at 9:52am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 10:31pm:
I like the idea of encouraging new blood.  Anything is better than nothing.

I will play devil's advocate.

We already have Steiner complaining that Harbor will be too hard without ship buffs.

So, people that have been away a year or more come back.

Complain how their character is all whacked.  Spend half the day figuring out the enhancements and complain.

Complain about their build.  Use the Reincarnation stones and complain.

Their characters will have Burden of FeatherofSun items on and complain.

How they are not in a guild and complain because they are gimp.

They won't realize that half of the gear they have doesn't drop anymore and might be worth plat.  Some smart exploiter will figure it out and offer all the old players 100 plat for each of the level 1 Underwater Action Items.

Turbine did give out a freebie where we could get and give FREE guest passes for adventure packs we owned.  It did not work out as Turbine had hoped because it has not been repeated.

Didnt we get free guest passes from myddo lottery?

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #44 - May 25th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
oh yeah, all of us did.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint