Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO Amnesty Day (Read 10425 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

DDO Amnesty Day
May 17th, 2014 at 2:29am
Print Post  
What do you guys think about this crazy idea:

For 1 day, 24 hours only, Turbine offers EVERY SINGLE ACCOUNT that already exists (but no new accounts) full access to all content. The idea being there might be people who played DDO 6 months ago, a year ago, or 5 years ago. But for 1 day, if thye wanted to, they could log into their account, and just play ddo like before, but any part of the game the wanted to, completely for free. 

It would cost Turbine basically nothing, and even if a lot of people just came back for the free day, it could be a lot of fun to see old people for a day. but in some cases, there might be people who come back to play for a while. i have no idea if this would be a huge flop or not, but i feel like there's very little wagered so no big loss if it flops.

although I'm sure someone would 'sploit it, not that it would be a bad thing.  
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2014 at 2:30am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: DDO Amnesty Day
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 2:29am:

For 1 day, 24 hours only, Turbine offers EVERY SINGLE ACCOUNT that already exists (but no new accounts) full access to all content. The idea being there might be people who played DDO 6 months ago, a year ago, or 5 years ago. But for 1 day, if thye wanted to, they could log into their account, and just play ddo like before, but any part of the game the wanted to, completely for free. 

It would cost Turbine basically nothing, and even if a lot of people just came back for the free day, it could be a lot of fun to see old people for a day. but in some cases, there might be people who come back to play for a while. i have no idea if this would be a huge flop or not, but i feel like there's very little wagered so no big loss if it flops.

although I'm sure someone would 'sploit it, not that it would be a bad thing.  

If they do this, someone will probably find a way to dupe adventure packs.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
You should post this on the main forums (if you didn't already) I think it's a great idea to get people to come back, check on new content, friends.... And maybe stay.

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Great idea, but how is Turdbine going to get the word out?  They already suck at getting people to play in general.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:02am
Print Post  
oh this thread isdnt what i thought it would be ;o

IP Logged

djork
Korthos Resident

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:05am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 2:36am:
If they do this, someone will probably find a way to dupe adventure packs.

comedy gold.......
cause its true

djork wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 2:16am:
rest wrote Today at 1:46am:
This whole forum is the Fucktard-specific section of the official DDO forums. What the hell did you expect?

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:06am
Print Post  
They would fuck it up and end up banning every single person on DDO.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:18am
Print Post  
No

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 3:06am:
They would fuck it up and end up banning every single person on DDO.

that would be like DDO going supernova and collapsing into a black hole. that would be awesome

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2014 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Why only 1 day? Other games with a monthly fee are sending once or twice a year codes to players (who haven't log in since some months) which give 7 days free 'VIP'.

Would be a chance to get people coming back to farm items from packs they don't own but always wanted to have. And some of them might continue to play after these 7 days for a while again.
Probably would result in these accounts might never buy some of the packs because they have the items they wanted from them. But if they are not coming back they wouldn't have bought the packs anyways.

A 1 day free vip for everyone might be an opportunity to check if you like some adv packs and really want to buy them. But this would probably lower the amount of accounts who buy the deleras pack. Even if it's a nice place to get xp most players only want the voice from there.

Just be careful how many items you farm on such days though, if someone reports you for exploiting a GM might think you have too many items from a pack you haven't bought. ^^

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2014 at 5:51am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 5:05am:
Why only 1 day? Other games with a monthly fee are sending once or twice a year codes to players (who haven't log in since some months) which give 7 days free 'VIP'.

I think this is a better idea.
Firstly, a playing day for most people who work or have family is probably only 3-4hours - can't do much in that time.
And for those who have not returned since the enhancement pass changes would need a day just to figure out their toon(s).
And it doesn't matter what day you chose, enough people would complain it didn't suit.  Sad

And getting the word out for a specific day would be challenging.
Offering a 3/5/7 day code to all old/inactive accounts - anyone who hasn't logged on for a month or more.  Not perfect, but it is better than nothing.

But, before getting people to come back, I think they have some fixing up work to do.  Bringing people back now would not be selling DDO as a good way to spend their time.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2014 at 6:34am
Print Post  
I thought coming back for a week or two, check new shit then break for few months again is what many do already.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2014 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Nice idea.

If you want Turbine to notice it ( ProdMal lurks here but he might not see it between two boobies and the sandbox chatter ) make a post in the official forum.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2014 at 8:05am
Print Post  
I assume when you say ALL accounts, you mean the banned ones too?

1 day would be enough to transfer anything you could from any toons on a banned account to any toons on a new account.

Therefore, I'm with Epoch on this one.

No
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2014 at 12:35pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2014 at 9:00am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 5:51am:
And getting the word out for a specific day would be challenging.

If only there were some means of sending messages over the internet.  Something like mail, only electronic.  Eh, I'm just talking crazy talk.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #15 - May 17th, 2014 at 9:07am
Print Post  
All resources spent on something like this would be much better on SOME advertisement for the game.

After all these years it still has to be the most obscure game unknown for most people, you never see any mention, banner or anything on any game site, magazine or whatnot.
It boggles the mind.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #16 - May 17th, 2014 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Brilliant idea OP, for all that is good and holy, somebody share it in the motherforums.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #17 - May 17th, 2014 at 10:07am
Print Post  
It won't bring back the people that left because of bugs.  To get those people, they would have to actually fix something for a change.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
they should bring back ALL the exploits for 24 hours

i bet it would attract more returning players than any other campaign short of paying the players

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2014 at 10:51am
Print Post  
qweeve wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 9:00am:
If only there were some means of sending messages over the internet.  Something like mail, only electronic.  Eh, I'm just talking crazy talk.

Yeah, this. I subscribe to the DDO Sales and Promotions mailing list still, yet on Thanksgiving on The Vault I heard about the DDO Black Friday one day sale. I ended up spending $50 that day. The day after the sale I got an email from the Sales and Promotions mailing list telling me about the sale I would have just missed had I not been a Vault reader. Turdbin attention to detail, FTW!

Fuck Off wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 10:07am:
It won't bring back the people that left because of bugs.  To get those people, they would have to actually fix something for a change.

Yeah, it's a great idea, but fix the bugs first. Bringing them back now they are going to say "Yeah, even more broken, glad I'm not paing for this crap"

harharharhar wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 2:29am:

For 1 day, 24 hours only, Turbine offers EVERY SINGLE ACCOUNT that already exists (but no new accounts) full access to all content.

I love the idea! I remember when my parents subscribed to HBO arfter a free HBO weekend. DDO could offer VIP week once or twice a year when every account gets the benefit of VIP (except for the free TP) and let people see if they like it.

And I definitely prefer the same week for everybody over codes they use at whatever time they choose, one of the big problems DDO has is the fact that ghost towns aren't inviting. Having the same week for everybody would give the maximum possible population boost. Of course, if the lag problem is that the code has gotten less efficient then maybe getting everybody on in the same week would be disasterous, if that's the case then the codes are a better idea.

But I don't think having the VIP benefits available for a dozen days a year is going to cause a reduction in sales. If the pack isn't worth playing more than a few days most people won't buy it anyway, and these days many people will assume it sucks (because most new content does) so trying it would lead to increased sales if it didn't suck as badly as was first reported.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #20 - May 17th, 2014 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Yeah i mean its a rough sketch of an idea, not fully fleshed out.

Or offer a month of vip for $1 if you havent logged in for a month, if something like that.

The idea was just that if you dont play now, you arent giving turbine anything. So letting you play for free or very cheaply for a little while could get you hooked again.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #21 - May 17th, 2014 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Build your guild event version 2.0

I only approve if we can get the fucking annoying message everytime anyone logs into the server.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #22 - May 17th, 2014 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 9:07am:
All resources spent on something like this would be much better on SOME advertisement for the game.

Be a realist : There won't be any. WB will not dump money into that, dumping money in film teasers is a better return on investment, and initially it should have been Infogramme's job...
I'm not even sure there's a department in charge of advertizing at Turbine.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I can predict people will complain the date doesn't fit well with their calendar because they have to work, are on vacation, visiting family ...

AtomicMew wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 3:02am:
oh this thread isdnt what i thought it would be ;o

Same here  Grin
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2014 at 2:20pm by Illetirated »  

IP Logged

Expinst
Epic Poster

EU gamer.

Reply #24 - May 17th, 2014 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 17th, 2014 at 8:05am:
I assume when you say ALL accounts, you mean the banned ones too?

1 day would be enough to transfer anything you could from any toons on a banned account to any toons on a new account.

Therefore, I'm with Epoch on this one.

No

why would the banned accounts be allowed to return? makes no sense.

None of this shit really matters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint