Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) So Cordovan closed all the threads (Read 12215 times)
DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: So Cordovan closed all the threads
Reply #25 - May 26th, 2014 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on May 26th, 2014 at 3:11am:
It is funny that I have never seen that issue and don't see very many people complain about it . Maybe it isn't as widespread as you think? Maybe people are more concerned with the crashing of the game WHILE playing (memory leak anyone)?

See I have the double login problem, but my game rarely crashes, even after switching toons repeatedly.  I have not experienced the memory leak problem, but I don't discount that it exists.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #26 - May 26th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
WP wrote on May 25th, 2014 at 10:04am:
I don't get it. In my honest opinion players should always have freedom of expressing their concerns especially condition of game from their point of view etc.

You are wrong. Freedom of speech is nohing you get when living in Murica, forum proves it.. Cheesy

Don't know why they even have a forum when it's moderated the way it currently is. Can just shut down rather than keeping it up. Would also save money as Cordoban could just be fired.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #27 - May 26th, 2014 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Hiding forum posts from potential players might have helped even 5 years ago, but in the days of social media, it's as effective as shoveling sand uphill.

People who get their threads closed will bitch on social media where Turdbin can't touch them, and no potential player will check the forum without checking social media.

And right now, anybody who checks social media will see very few posts about DDO at all, and many of the ones that do exist complain about how badly Turdbin interacts with the players.

Furthermore, research shows that negative comments influence decisions far more than positive comments do, so an activity that pushes a two sided discussion from the forum to a one sided complaint on somebody's Facebook page is counterproductive.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #28 - May 26th, 2014 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
It is funny that I have never seen that issue and don't see very many people complain about it . Maybe it isn't as widespread as you think?

Is that you Thrudh?

Anyone reading the Turbine forum sees the numerous posts discussing the problem. A player even took the time to write a tool, the DDO Preloader, to serve as a workaround. If you really want to see how pervasive the problem is, Google "DDO Preloader" and become informed.

If you are just trolling, go back to playing with your schwartz.

The double log in problem is mostly related to the incredibly stupid implementation the DDO client uses to load resources. It could be easily fixed if Turbine had any competent software engineers on staff.

Good hardware can also eliminate the problem. Running DDO from an SSD or a fast USB 3.0 thumb drive is probably the best. I do neither, but my HDD spins at 7200 RPM, which is a lot faster than what you see in an average computer.

DDO doesn't really require that much in terms of computer horsepower to run correctly. I play DDO on a laptop I bought in November, 2008. That said, it was a really nice lap top at the time...

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

WP
Waterworks Kobold

All of life's problems
can be solved by kicking

Reply #29 - May 26th, 2014 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 26th, 2014 at 3:36am:
See I have the double login problem, but my game rarely crashes, even after switching toons repeatedly.  I have not experienced the memory leak problem, but I don't discount that it exists

That DDOPreloader is working just fine for me. For a long time my client was crashing like crazy. Double log, entering vale/sands/harbor/market, maybe some other problems. But eversince I use it finally I have some fun @1st login. What's funny without preloader I can start DDO from external Samsung HDD 2 TB 5400 RPM and it works good and stable.

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #30 - May 26th, 2014 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
DDO forums are/have been/will continue to be white washed and AstroTurf-ed just is the way most if not all big companies tend to approach their forum.  As an extension of their brand they do not like to see anything negative there and usually deal with it with a sharp knife.

IP Logged

Darkchampion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - May 27th, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
That's why I can't buy cheap stuff from ASAH

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - May 27th, 2014 at 12:43am
Print Post  
See I have the double login problem, but my game rarely crashes, even after switching toons repeatedly.  I have not experienced the memory leak problem, but I don't discount that it exists.

I have the double login problem but I hardly ever crash, but have witnessed lots of people having that problem loading explorer zones as for the switching toons, for me it seems lag gets worse loading screens longer the more toon swaps I do.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #33 - May 27th, 2014 at 1:17am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:43am:
I have the double login problem but I hardly ever crash, but have witnessed lots of people having that problem loading explorer zones as for the switching toons, for me it seems lag gets worse loading screens longer the more toon swaps I do.

My friend has a new High end PC (SSD included) that can handle newest FPS games on Ultra settings without a hitch, yet he crashes between explorer zones in DDO and FPS lags like the rest of the unwashed masses ;/

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #34 - May 27th, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I believe I've commented on this before. I play on a multimedia laptop with a crappy processor. I've never had zone in crashes, but I suffer from the double login issue if not using the preloader, so I just routine use it. I also have to restart my client every time I switch toon, as the memory leakage is a big issue... i.e. the game becomes incredibly laggy after toon switch if I did not restart the client, and the more times I switch toons, the less I can play without restarting.

Yes, I do plan to upgrade to a desktop with SSD... at some point. We'll see.

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 5:11am
Print Post  
It is funny that I have never seen that issue and don't see very many people complain about it . Maybe it isn't as widespread as you think? Maybe people are more concerned with the crashing of the game WHILE playing (memory leak anyone)?

huh?

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #36 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:18am
Print Post  

It exists.  I can't remember the last time the client actually *crashed*, but I experience a slowdown when logged in for a long time - the game gets stuttery and I'll experience brief freezes that get progressively longer - and switching toons exacerbates this.  Hunting between, say, 5 or 6 toons to look for an item means restarting the client afterwards or the game is unplayable.

I don't have the latest and greatest kit, but my Core i5 system has 8Gb RAM and (more recently) a 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD where the OS and DDO reside, yet I still experience this issue.  The machine eats everything else I run for breakfast, on much higher graphics settings than I use for DDO.  I'm far from techically clueless, but I can't account for what's happening.  The main client process *is* gradually consuming more memory, but not enough to account for what's going on (or so it seems to me).

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #37 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:18am:
It exists.  I can't remember the last time the client actually *crashed*, but I experience a slowdown when logged in for a long time - the game gets stuttery and I'll experience brief freezes that get progressively longer - and switching toons exacerbates this.  Hunting between, say, 5 or 6 toons to look for an item means restarting the client afterwards or the game is unplayable.

I don't have the latest and greatest kit, but my Core i5 system has 8Gb RAM and (more recently) a 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD where the OS and DDO reside, yet I still experience this issue.  The machine eats everything else I run for breakfast, on much higher graphics settings than I use for DDO.  I'm far from techically clueless, but I can't account for what's happening.  The main client process *is* gradually consuming more memory, but not enough to account for what's going on (or so it seems to me).

I know it exists from the many forum complaints I have read about it.  My response was more aimed at Dark's dismissive attitude toward a problem he or his friends have not experienced.
I was just saying to Dark to be more open minded.
There are lots of weird DDO issues where it works flawlessly on one machine and crap on another - regardless of underlying hardware.
An SSD definitely makes a difference to the load times though.

My previous machine had really bad rubber banding.  Made the game more annoying to play than anything else.
Again, didn't have it in any other game/software, so unlikely to be hardware or internet connection.

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #38 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:41am
Print Post  
I put an SSD in my laptop. DDO runs like a charm. Think about all those table lookups =/

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 7:16am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on May 25th, 2014 at 2:33am:
welcome to the peoples republic of DDO.

Grin

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 8:20am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:27am:

Ain't that the truth  Grin

Best. Upgrade. Ever.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

WP
Waterworks Kobold

All of life's problems
can be solved by kicking

Reply #41 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
This again? Come on...

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 4:04am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 25th, 2014 at 8:21am:
I'm sure the reason the Oracle is able to collect and report objective metrics is because Turbine cannot remember how to turn off the publicly facing API, and researching how to do it is more effort than shining the chairs in the half-full conference rooms, telling each other that everything is going exactly as planned.

That's not quite right, but more right than not.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #43 - Jun 23rd, 2014 at 3:37am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 6:27am:
I know it exists from the many forum complaints I have read about it.  My response was more aimed at Dark's dismissive attitude toward a problem he or his friends have not experienced.
I was just saying to Dark to be more open minded.
There are lots of weird DDO issues where it works flawlessly on one machine and crap on another - regardless of underlying hardware.

My previous machine had really bad rubber banding.  Made the game more annoying to play than anything else.
Again, didn't have it in any other game/software, so unlikely to be hardware or internet connection.

Not saying it doesn't exist and, in game, I see more people bitch about the the memory leaks and having to restart clients than having to login twice.

On the forums, I see most of the same people complain about it but it isn't that big of an issue (golly, I have to start it twice!) vs. something larger such as the game freezing then crashing AS you are playing it.

If you monitor the dndclient.exe memory, you will see that when it gets past 2 GB is when the stuttering and freezing happens.  I have 12 GB and an SSD, so I usually get up to 3GB for the client before it just stops responding/crashes. I still have plenty of actual memory free, so they just don't allocate the memory overhead correctly to their memory manager. Even just some simple memory cleanup between character switches would go a long way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint