Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why there is "solo" difficulty? (Read 4299 times)
Steiner
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Why there is "solo" difficulty?
May 28th, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Why there is "solo" difficulty for heroic content?

Heroic elite is a joke already, especially when soloing it. Why resources were spent for "normal" and "solo" difficulty? ("Hard" is ok, someone may want to run it once for bonus).

IP Logged

Steiner
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Why there is "solo" difficulty?
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2014 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Found this also, in prev.release notes.

"New Dungeon Difficulty: Casual!
All dungeons now feature a new difficulty option: casual! This difficulty is available for quests that are not solo-only or raid in the game now - excellent for smaller parties or players who are struggling with the challenges of a Normal difficulty dungeon!
Casual difficulty is tailored for solo players and small parties that find Normal mode too challenging.
Casual difficulty can be played by up to 6 players and can also be played with Hirelings.
Casual difficulty provides less experience, lower quality treasure, and less favor upon completion than playing the quest at higher difficulties."

Who the fack "struggle with the challenges of normal difficulty"???

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2014 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Smiley Casual is perfect when all you want is a completion, but without having to do much at all.. like Mindsunder or Dreaming Dark. Yes, I still once in a while farm for Mindsunder loot, or ioun stones.

Of course, I was puzzled as to why someone would run ADQ pre on heroic casual on an epic toon.  Undecided I mean, if your toon really sucks that badly, at least have the decency to run epic casual. Heroic casual on a 20+ toon, is just embarrassing.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2014 at 5:30am
Print Post  
There is something called casual player and in former times the items you could find in level 1-5 quests were really bad. Pre build character path, unexperienced player on his first toon... guess some of them like casual for some of the quests.

And if you like ransacking good xp quests, casual is often better xp than a -60/80% xp run.

And about the adq pre... If you just want a fast adq completion herioc casual is the fastest way to get the pre done. But you are right, most epic toons shouldn't notice much of a difference between heroic casual and heroic normal. Although there are some players who like to optimize everything and then heroic casual  is the easiest way to get the pre done, especially if you are farming  the pre on EE every week.
But in my opinion this is only an optimized solution if you are going to solo the raid because otherwise you need to wait for other players anyways and could just to epic normal while waiting and get at least a few xp while waiting.

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2014 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Casual-Pre will not make you a big fan with the ladies... just saying.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2014 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Steiner wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 3:44am:

Heroic elite is a joke already, especially when soloing it. Why resources were spent for "normal" and "solo" difficulty? ("Hard" is ok, someone may want to run it once for bonus).

Because not everyone is l33t like you bro.
We have people new to the game and genre who don't have good twitch skills.
It makes the learning curve more shallow for them, hopefully to keep them in game longer.
I have problem with this concept on Heroic where most of the newcomers spend their time.
And different difficulties don't require much work, just tuning trap damage, DC's, monster CR's and qtys.  I'd say most of it formulaic or scripted ( if you believe they can write scripts).

And it doesn't really affect you so what's the problem?

Alternatively, it is probably there for the devs to play on because Normal is too hard.... and they need to play test .....   Grin

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2014 at 6:48am
Print Post  
fr8o wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 5:39am:
Casual-Pre will not make you a big fan with the ladies... just saying.

'cause spending your time playing DDO is a great way to pick up the ladies yo....
Huh

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2014 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Steiner wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 3:44am:

New players (if such still exist), casual players, roleplayers, permadeath players (maybe), some utility reasons like getting items from end reward, flagging fast for something, could be more.

If that was an attempt of e-peen waving - try harder next time.

IP Logged

wascally wabbit
Korthos Resident

I Hate Drama!

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2014 at 7:39am
Print Post  
"Solo" is for those very few quests specifically meant to...well...solo.

What I'd like to see is

"Solo Normal"
"Solo Hard"
"Solo Elite"

But only for those very few quests with a "Solo" difficulty.

As for casual...don't get me started.  There aren't many quests that a new player/first lifer can't get through on Normal with a little patience.  Just don't skip Korthos if you've never played before...that's where you learn BASIC GAME MECHANICS and get some BASIC low level gear to start your game with.

Rant on...

What gets me infuriated well beyond the "Casual" setting is first timers INSISTING on running Elite so they don't break their streak...WHO CARES!  There's plenty of easy XP for you on Normal/Hard - don't try Elite if you've never done the quest before!

Rant Off!

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2014 at 7:56am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 6:46am:
Alternatively, it is probably there for the devs to play on because Normal is too hard.... and they need to play test .....    Grin

Actually, one could argue it was the primary reason Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Solo difficulty is something really really really old. From a time when Soloing Haverdasher was a challenge.
( because there wasn't dungeon scaling, and well no dungeon alert either ).

It wasn't really meant for casual, since at that time it ENFORCED solo play ( you couldn't enter a dungeon on solo difficulty if you were in a party ).

Some of the old lower harbor quests from that time ( the Korthos ones now ) were solo only. ( since they were meant for you to learn the game. )
Old characters have them showing as Solo if they haven't redone them on harder difficulties ( and/or TRed )

It was then changed to Casual and the enforced Solo play was removed.
In a lot of heroic quests it's still called Solo because Turbine's policy is to never look back and change things that needs to be changed when a system is changed, but in reality it should be called Casual, that's for those that can't even tackle Normal Diff.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Steiner
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 8:01am:
but in reality it should be called Casual, that's for those that can't even tackle Normal Diff.

Who cant tackle normal difficulty in DDO? ...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Steiner wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 8:11am:
Who cant tackle normal difficulty in DDO? ...

Well once upon a time, even Normal was difficult... Especially a Normal Quest 5 levels above your party max level ( to maximize the XP input.) without any dungeon scaling  Roll Eyes

Now Normal on a Quest with Scaling, that is two level below you party level... *Yawn* 

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2014 at 8:31am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #13 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Because Cordovan does heroic Desert on a level 20 cleric.
Dat scepter melee damage !

IP Logged

Steiner
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 8:31am:
Well once upon a time, even Normal was difficult...

Shocked

IP Logged

eterna1_drag0n
Waterworks Kobold

No!

Reply #15 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:53am
Print Post  
If you need a challenge try playing some permadeath, only loot you can use is what you find in breakable and chests, no AH or crafted loot. oh and and no ship buffs.

IP Logged

eterna1_drag0n
Waterworks Kobold

No!

Reply #16 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Or try playing with red alert always active, gather up mobs till red alert then run the rest of quest like normal if alert goes to orange stop killing trash to and gather more mobs keep alert red.

IP Logged

Zandos
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2014 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Devs said somewhere casual is for people who want to finish quest to enjoy story, but don't want to be bothered by or waste time on combat.

WTF!? What story lol!?

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2014 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Flav is correct.  Back in the day before:
1) Dungeon Scaling
2) Dungeon Alert
3) Hirelings
4) Death Penalty was removed

Normal was actually a challenge if you went in by yourself and you weren't a good self-healer.  This is also before clerics had the Healing Aura and Healing Bursts and there were no Mnemonics in the game.

Soloing a quest back then was actually an accomplishment even on Normal.

Heck, the first quest that you had to do was the one in the bar where you went into the basement (once you got past the training quests on Euphonia's island).  You had to kill about 10 kobolds and it was SOLO only.    If you were a Bard, Wizard, Sorc, Rogue, then you had about a 50/50 chance of dying in this quest.

"You have killed many kobolds"

Once they finally got rid of the original designer/producer and population levels had dropped considerably, someone had the thought of "Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't be so strict with the 'You better have a balanced to play our game' philosophy"

They changed the beginning area, and added some more quests with a Solo option.  This was much easier than normal for those who didn't have a guild or just liked playing by themselves.

Then later they removed solo from almost every quest they added it to except Miller's Debt.  Then they created the Arachnophobia, the Sewer quest with the dogs, the one with all the barrels and quickfoot burglars as solo only (yes they created these quests after the release for solo only play).

Hell, finishing Miller's Debt used to be tough to when it first came out.

Now, it has gone in the extreme other direction of Normal being very simple.   Heroic Elite today is very close to what Normal/Hard used to be.

Casual is a complete joke.  I don't care what your twitch skills are or how bad they are, the only reason to do casual is for a quick completion for a flagging quest or like Mindsunder or Dreaming Dark.

IP Logged

ddofun
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - May 28th, 2014 at 10:29am
Print Post  
With Perma Death and no auction house solo can be a challenge.  If you have played the quest before, you should be stepping up in difficulty.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #20 - May 28th, 2014 at 10:50am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 6:48am:
'cause spending your time playing DDO is a great way to pick up the ladies yo....
Huh

Met my wife in DDO.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #21 - May 28th, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 10:50am:
Met my wife in DDO.

Teach me, master!

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2014 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
It's good for farming shit, before the dupes you could farm druids chain on EC to get comms in no time.

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #23 - May 28th, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 28th, 2014 at 6:48am:
Huh

Worked for me Smiley and like the stereotype she likes playing the healer.

IP Logged

WP
Waterworks Kobold

All of life's problems
can be solved by kicking

Reply #24 - May 28th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
This again? There are still new players to DDO who can not open hard nor elite difficulty and normal setting can be tough for them, especially if they are F2P. Some of them are more casual - someone called them flower sniffers. As long as turbine doesn't force me to run those silly difficulties I don't care.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint