Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dune Books (Read 6017 times)
wascally wabbit
Korthos Resident

I Hate Drama!

Re: Dune Books
Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Dune, and the following 5 books (Messiah, Children, God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse) are a masterwork of literature that has profound insight into humanity and ecology.

Personally, I read the entire series at least once every other year.  It took me three attempts to get through the first book (I was in my late teens - early twenties), and it was several years after reading the first book that I began reading the sequels - largely due to their religious-sounding titles.

And while religion is a central theme in all six books, Dune is not a religious series of books.  What DUNE is is a story that conveys a series of tragedies that we can see taking place all around us today.  It's a book of warnings.  It warns of the dangers of reliance on one single, finite resource; the dangers of religious figures as political powers; the dangers of  excess, corruption, and decadence; and the dangers of overconfidence.

Yet it is also a book that shows us the light - how to overcome the dangers above.  It shows the benefits of self-sacrifice, a strong community, strength of body and mind, and respect of your environment.

For you that does not understand - you that reads solely for enjoyment, you that shies away from "difficult" reading - this book is not for you.

For those that "get it" - you that understand that these books are powerful - you understand that words are for more than entertainment - you that don't move through life blind to the dangers all around us - DUNE is a book and a series for you.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #26 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
wascally wabbit wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 7:14pm:
Dune, and the following 5 books (Messiah, Children, God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse) are a masterwork of literature that has profound insight into humanity and ecology.

Personally, I read the entire series at least once every other year.  It took me three attempts to get through the first book (I was in my late teens - early twenties), and it was several years after reading the first book that I began reading the sequels - largely due to their religious-sounding titles.

And while religion is a central theme in all six books, Dune is not a religious series of books.  What DUNE is is a story that conveys a series of tragedies that we can see taking place all around us today.  It's a book of warnings.  It warns of the dangers of reliance on one single, finite resource; the dangers of religious figures as political powers; the dangers of  excess, corruption, and decadence; and the dangers of overconfidence.

Yet it is also a book that shows us the light - how to overcome the dangers above.  It shows the benefits of self-sacrifice, a strong community, strength of body and mind, and respect of your environment.

For you that does not understand - you that reads solely for enjoyment, you that shies away from "difficult" reading - this book is not for you.

For those that "get it" - you that understand that these books are powerful - you understand that words are for more than entertainment - you that don't move through life blind to the dangers all around us - DUNE is a book and a series for you.

Amen Brother Wabbit.
All hail Lord Herbert.....
Wink

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 7:16am:
Ok, I'm sensing some passion for these books in your words, but.....

Wtf does this mean bro?
I understand the words, but it makes no sense at all.

...And if we argue, we prove your point, and if we agree, we miss the point..... So can I plead the 5th on this then???
Wink

Bravo Sir!  Move to the head of the class.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 1:36pm:
This is what I got out of your post.  Do I win something?  Smiley

You may wrestle DropBear for Ultimate Supremacy...

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #29 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:17pm:
You may wrestle DropBear for Ultimate Supremacy...

That sounds suspiciously un-reward-like... I am disappoint    Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint