Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic IronClan is going to save the game. No, really. (Read 5989 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

IronClan is going to save the game. No, really.
Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Player Council member IronClan revealed his plans for game saving changes.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/443084-A-summation-of-many-arguments-f...

Marking expansion content as the culprit to DDO's troubling implosions. IronClan has chosen to introduce an expanded f2p model that would drastically broaden access to more players.

Quote:
The biggest losses in those graphs are right after a Cap expansion that lowered the relevance of cap content (and then did it again), but also right after a Paid expansions that walled off many players from new content.

NO ONE plays DDO in epics without ED's... The steepest drop in the graph is after MOTU where the stable core player level dropped suddenly and the most logical reason for it's steepness is the cost of an expansion... it brought in new players but it walled out some old F2P ones.

Pre MotU DDO was they best this game had to offer. By destroying their own end game, relentlessly, at least twice. Turbine ensured many players would never trust them again. By taking, like, what, ten raids and consolidating them into all of two? It was cataclysmic. Every epic quest with items using S/S/S/Base method became undesirable. Entire houses of chains swallowed by Eveningstar. MotU and CITW dug the grave and murdered any want, use, utility of over 90% of items that your customers lovingly sought long and hard for. All the quests and raids you had going on. And then multi tring to do it again on a different build. Lolth really won.

Turning around now and giving players EDs and MotU will NOT get those players back.  IronClan is a gimp, permadeath loving, paragraph spammer. Dont be fooled. He is right on that a lot of the players that remained became walled off again. This after the rendering of the end game. Further punishing any long time players. But the guy doesn't know much beyond trying to explain things he himself doesn't understand. The players who stayed and purchased MotU and left did so for the same reasons players still will and are leaving.

Unfortunately the end game doesnt exist in a healthy balance with the rest of the game, like it once did. Even If every player was given MotU at the time of launch for free it wouldn't have stopped the exodus of grinders. Giving the layers left all access will not keep them from abandoning the lack of content, incentives and rewards. Reestablishing the end game as the pinnacle of the TR cycle cannot occur with out turning the empty space of the epic levels into something more robust and appealing.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Re: IronClan is going to save the game. No, really.
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Nothing can save this game.
It is like saving 70 year old guy from death, you know it will happen soon.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2014 at 7:26am by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
There was a guy in Epic Von 6 (twice) who didn't have any ED.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 7:26am:
Nothing can save this game.
It is like saving 70 year old guy from death, you know it will happen soontm.

ftfy
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:22am by pape »  

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
that graph shows me that this game has 90 weeks left, which is far more than i expected.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

skitz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
He cant save shit. But its good that hes trying

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm:
that graph shows me that this game has 90 weeks left, which is far more than i expected.

I doubt it will be a steady decline.  It's more likely that a steady decline will continue until the server populations get low enough that even the die-hard players will ask themselves "what's the point?".  Not sure when it will be, but the graph is probably going to go into a steep plummet in the not too distant future.

Next update will be e3BC, which will have even less of an impact than eGH did.  At least GH was popular BEFORE it went epic.  Jacking up the price on 3BC when the people who own it don't even bother playing that content will do little to motivate interest.  So before it's even launched the next update will be nothing but a sorry looking money grab fail.

I don't honestly know if we will see the lvl cap increase to 30 before this game implodes.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I played one mmo 7 years ago, stopped playing 4 years ago, when I stopped playing it had less than half players on all servers than thelanis has, and it is still running.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:24am:
Giving the [p]layers left all access will not keep them from abandoning the lack of content, incentives and rewards. Reestablishing the end game as the pinnacle of the TR cycle cannot occur with out turning the empty space of the epic levels into something more robust and appealing.

Wow, well said and thoughtful, Rubbins, a great post overall.

I can't believe I just said that, my world has turned upside down.

But you're right, it isn't one problem with one solution. Turbine has opened a disaster with more fronts than Germany had in the second world war, there is no one change that will save them from themselves.

I wish Turbine would embrace this discussion and participate in it. I fear that doing so would unleash a firestorm of pent up rage and frustration, but ignoring it lets it fester and feed on itself. I guess what I really wish is that Turbine would have embraced and participated in this discussion a year or two ago Undecided

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, there needs to be a legitimate, stable, content-rich endgame. Everyone basically agrees on that. Without one, what is anyone really striving for?

Turbine knows they need a legit endgame at this point too and have promised one soon (tm). All this has been discussed to death. If I could have ironclan on my ignore list twice, I would.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:23pm:
Wow, well said and thoughtful, Rubbins, a great post overall.

I can't believe I just said that, my world has turned upside down.

But you're right, it isn't one problem with one solution. Turbine has opened a disaster with more fronts than Germany had in the second world war, there is no one change that will save them from themselves.

I wish Turbine would embrace this discussion and participate in it. I fear that doing so would unleash a firestorm of pent up rage and frustration, but ignoring it lets it fester and feed on itself. I guess what I really wish is that Turbine would have embraced and participated in this discussion a year or two ago Undecided

But they won't M, because the prevailing attitude is their customers are a bunch of ignorant, dysfunctional whiners.
Look at Maj's comments, look at the merry-go-round of producers who promised much and delivered little.
Look at the way in-game service is handled, look at the apathy of the GM's auto-closing tickets with no corrective action.

They have no respect for their customers.  All they primarily do now, is cheap money grabs with little view to the future or how it is perceived.  We'll extend guild ships - sure - 8,000 AS pls schmucks...

I don't begrudge them making a buck, but some of the stuff they pull is seriously WTF territory.

They appointed the PC in an effort to close the gap with the customer base, but jury still out on whether they listen.  Some of the stuff the PC report as not getting thru is disturbing.  The fact that they thought charges on ship buffs was even feasible......yeesh.

They might do a mea culpa once the mass exodus begins, but by then it will be too late to effect any meaningful change....

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
FM wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:57pm:
Yeah, there needs to be a legitimate, stable, content-rich endgame. Everyone basically agrees on that. Without one, what is anyone really striving for?

Turbine knows they need a legit endgame at this point too and have promised one soon (tm). All this has been discussed to death. If I could have ironclan on my ignore list twice, I would.

My concern is the quality of the current endgame.
Two raids.
Fire raid - generic beat down with insane amounts of spawns.
Shadow raid - OTT repetition of the mirror levels to "pad" it out.  At least the dragon beat down contains something approaching co-operation needed.
Thunderholme explorer - so much potential, but crappy implementation.  Absurd spawn rates that result in instant red alert as well as horrendous lag.  Battleragers - stupid, lazy development.

My point is the quality, innovation and creativity in recent products is limited at best.  So we end up with ten of these generic MMO raids?  It will add quantity, but not quality of gameplay.  Will that add to diversity - probably not for most gamers looking for a challenge.

To their credit, HH was really good (mostly).  But it's replayability is quite limited, so not sure I would consider this end game entertainment.

Unless they change the prevailing development approach, then they're going to be wasting their time and ours.  Hence the need to listen to ideas from the ignorant masses.  There have been some good ideas floated.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 10:29pm:
But they won't M, because the prevailing attitude is their customers are a bunch of ignorant, dysfunctional whiners.

To be fair, if the forums are any indication, Turbine isn't far off the mark.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 10:29pm:
They appointed the PC in an effort to close the gap with the customer base,

No, they made the PC to have a handy scapegoat.  So far I don't see any real impact from the PC, and I doubt there ever will be any.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 12:42am
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:09pm:
To be fair, if the forums are any indication, Turbine isn't far off the mark.

There will always be dissenting opinions on internet forums.  And there will always be "noise" on forums too.

The skill of a good comms team is being able to filter out the important information.  Dissenting opinions are healthy - you get balanced arguments like a debate, so you can actually make a much more informed decision than you could arrive at individually.

When someone just posts "the game sux" - it doesn't give you the reader much perspective or insight.  It's an unsupported opinion.
When a post explains the persons rationale, I will likely read it, even if I might not agree with them.

I think healthy, respectful debate is a good thing.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2014 at 12:49am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 12:48am
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:11pm:
No, they made the PC to have a handy scapegoat.  So far I don't see any real impact from the PC, and I doubt there ever will be any.

I honestly don't believe this was the intent.
Turdbine are so arrogant, they don't need a scapegoat - they never admit fault or failure.
They simply deny any problems and cover things up that might look bad.

Speaking to various members of the PC, there is frustration for sure, but they are trying and they are having some impact.  Every decision affected by the PC isn't advertised and nor will it be.

I'm prepared to give it the year and weigh it up then based on the opinion of the PC members whether they felt it worked or not.  I don't see any disadvantage to the PC - it is worth a try.

The alternative is to rely on Cordo and Tolero to filter the player feedback and provides insightful and meaningful feedback to producers and devs....   Cheesy   I'm sorry, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

IP Logged

WP
Waterworks Kobold

All of life's problems
can be solved by kicking

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Reserved

IP Logged

Kingfisher67
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
The problem with the game now is the recent and current dev team.  Turbine is too small to have an institutional memory, the people working today are all we have.  They just aren't as good at MMO development as a group as the people who built the game up to level 20.

They throw together the most imbalanced crap possible and there doesn't appear to be even any recognition that they've screwed up.

IP Logged

Rasczak
Stormreaver Piker

Instant Human...Just Add
Coffee

Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 7:22am
Print Post  
The game has been dying for 8 years.

The carrot being used to make players play is not very juicy at the moment though so there is that.

People ran in to play FR, saw the same problems that made them leave (or could only play in Eberron for new players) and left immediately. I expected that.
Loot (AKA Carrot) and something to do besides grind and zerg quests (as well as lowering the power curve created by ED's etc.) would help the game. Changing payment plans for a pile of poo doesn't make the pile of poo any more appealing. I'm hoping they are making the game fun for someone and making more money off of them as opposed to those of us who were Subbing when tumbling was faster than running.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Strange to see Rubbins turning his angry black guy schtick into a coherent thought with an actual agenda.

Please go back to begging for xploits and ass gifs please so the universe can be whole again.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Bigdickrichguy wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:59am:
Strange to see Rubbins turning his angry black guy schtick into a coherent thought with an actual agenda.

Please go back to begging for xploits and ass gifs please so the universe can be whole again.

You act as if there was something else to do here or in ddo? Idk, maybe i can go around posting as a big dik rich guy? Or a part of the one percent? that'd be really neat and keen
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2014 at 12:04pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
The one percent is all that is left in ddo...after all the migrations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint