Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) MajMal's report card (Read 42058 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: MajMal's report card
Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
This entire update was worth it for working shuriken crit fixes.

But they have to do something about bags.

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:05pm:

I can see it now...

"We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but all forms of "Bags", (such as Collectibles Bags, Ingredients Bags, Sigil Frame, Tome of Binding, Etc.) are disabled until Update 23. 

The NPC to flag for the Ascension Chamber has been changed to accept the Sigil pieces, without having to be placed in the Sigil Frame.

On Update 23, we will be giving out an updated version of the Raider's Reward box to all player characters. It will give you a choice to select one piece of Raid Equipment from every single Raid that is currently live."

Oh, also the NPC will be bugged and will just take all your Sigil pieces, no matter how many you have.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:51pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #27 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
so far U22 is fucked.
Interface is worse.
Most of the new stuff is broken or not working correctly.

MajMal's the producer, the buck stops with him. 
It was released way too soon in an unready state. 

The release date was not fixed in advance, look at the postings on the forums - it's obvious they had the "release this week" meeting on like Monday and the decision from that meeting was yes. 

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:06pm by higgildypiggildy »  

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 11:55pm:
Everyone said, let's wait for U22 before judging..... so, how has MajMal measured up Vaulties?
How does MajMal rate now in your eyes?

Wow, this is a hard one.

First take is, I'm seriously disappointed. My gut reaction is to go with the "certificate of attendance" answer (Damn, that was nice, I wish I'd thought of that myself!)

But I wonder if I'm being a bit too harsh on that one, and judging him against my perception of his potential instead of against his actual performance, which might be as high as a D-.

I know fanbois might say I'm being harsh on him because I want to be able to exploit and he closed many of them, but that's not it at all. I'm actually very restrained on exploits - I had full knowledge of Dupaluza 1 and had plenty of things worth duping and I didn't. I had Astral Diamonds on a mule during that dupe fest and I didn't, I knew full well how to make limitless stacks of XP potions, clone my augments, etc. and didn't (and not because I feared Extreeeeeme prejudice, either, I'm quite confident I could have hidden my actions well enough to fool Turdbin).

What bothers me about him targeting exploits with these craptastic band-aids is he's treating symptoms not the underlying problem of crappy unmanaged code.

I do love exploits, and love to see them spread, but it's because they draw attention to the underlying problems, which I want to see fixed.

With U22 MajMal is like a doctor treating a patient with gangrene, and he gives the patient a can of Fa-breeze to cover the smell, a prescription for extra strength Motrin for the pain, and orders a MRI because insurance will make a nice co-pay for that. He knows the toe needs to be amputated, but he won't be the guy's doctor for all that long, the next doctor can make the hard decision.

This game deserves better management than that.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #29 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:05pm:

See that's the funny thing about perspective. I could not care any less about shuriken fixes. Literally. There is no possible way I could care even a tiny bit less. If they never fixed them, I wouldn't even notice. In fact, I didn't know they did fix them until this post of yours. So for you, this update was a huge win because it helped your particular favourite type of character. For me, this update was a huge lose because of the QoL impact that the "exclusive window" thing has. Hell, party invites close all other windows also. How fucking stupid is that? Every type of crafting (except TF, I believe) has some aspect or another that is fucked up. And yet because your build got more powerful, you're willing to dismiss all the fucked up things as ok.

Perspective is silly.

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Damn Rest, didn't you know that you were meant to craft everything that you were going to craft before u22 ?

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I'd be embarrassed if I had any kind of coding/producer/QA position with Turbine right now.  U22 is a pretty humiliating example of what happens when you launch too early.  Should probably give them the benefit of the doubt, since that's generally a sign of poor management, but still. 

It's kind of funny though - not too often I feel sorry for Jerry, but this is one of those times.  He had nothing to do with this, but he's the one who has to deal with all the hate in the forums.  Everybody else is afraid to show their faces, as they should be.  What a fuckup.  Bags alone just show what shit coders they are, and to launch with broken crafting is just idiotic.

These guys need a serious overhaul in how they develop.  As much as "outside consultant" is generally a laughable idea, they could do worse than taking on somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing.  First thing you do when you find a new bug is write a test for it, so it doesn't happen again.  Everybody on here knows what a joke that is, with the infinite times the SAME FUCKING BUG show up.

I'm pretty ambivalent about exploiting - you don't want people duping shit, have a goddamn transactional system.  Hacks bother me way more - aimbots, uberpowers, whatever, but there aren't a lot of those in DDO.  It's just ridiculous that they keep piling on bandaid after bandaid, with no sense of "you know, people need bags, and we're gonna keep them, so let's actually make a concerted effort to fix them properly."

It would make me laugh if it weren't so pathetic.

Grade: F.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Grade D

Sad

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
E3BC - Don't care, much more excited for Epic Orchard
Guildships - I like them, but I hate that we can't put stuff on the deck.
Guild levels - Who cares?
Swashbuckler - Awesome, now fix up the other Bard PrEs.
bag deposit box - The most horrible, lazy thing ever.  I hate it.

All in all, I don't think we can really say how he's doing yet.  I assume that most of this stuff (barring the ingredients bank) has been in the pipeline since before his title changed.  I can only imagine what hell it must be like to work at Turbine as well as having to deal with us assholes, so I'm waiting before making a judgment.  Not like my opinion matters, lol.

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
They had a policy of release and fix bugs later.  I don't think that policy has changed since 2009/2010 when they announced it.  They probably think it works well since players are willing to put up with the buggy shit and continue to play.

Maybe they are intentionally trying to bury this dead horse of an MMO by pushing away the rest that way they can justify the shutdown of the servers.  Maybe WB wants this to happen so they can work on DDO2 with hopefully coders that know how to write without so many fucking bugs.

When does the Wizards license run out?  I thought it was 2014 or 2016, can't remember, or did they renew it?

Hardly any of the shit that is broken or needs touched up gets taken care of unless it is going to benefit players in a exploit type of way or if it is easy to do or if it is something like the bag problem now but even when they do fix it, it still won't work right and will stay only semi-functional and called WAI.  Hell, look at the pre-launcher, someone has the code written for them for what they have to do to fix that problem and they still haven't fixed that part.  Been like a year with that bit hasn't it?

Call me a tinfoil wearer if you want but the way they keep releasing updates, they are not going to be adding in updates for too long.  They had to fire people already, I would not be surprised if most of the rest get fired in the next 2 years and have a bare skeleton crew trying to add in more bugs and break more shit.  They may still have a few dozen playing willing to put up with this shit(these are the same fucks that say they want updates regardless of bugs no matter how much people complain about the bugs) but DDO is dead.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 3:55pm by Fuck Off »  

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 12:56pm:
people have been giving me a hard time

Dark_Helmet gave me a ration of shit

Stop whining you little bitch. This is the vault.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
E3BC Explorer - Airship rednames encounters are incredibly annoying and really feel very fake and plastic.  The airships don't even move for fuck's sake, or even just bob up and down in the air or shake when you hit them with a ballista.  It's like turbine found a bunch of interdimensional pushpins and fixed their location in 3-dimensional space.  Also, the plethora of bugs related to the explorer area.  D-

E3BC loot - Completely lackluster.  no EE differentiation or upgrade path (comms of heroism/valor would be excellent to use here).  Boots are okay, but way too easy to get.  The only redeeming value is that they didn't introduce more useless ingredients.  D+

E3BC quests - haven't tried yet N/A
Guildship revamp - Pretty decent, the amenity bar is amazing.  But honestly, they spent way too much effort on this with the sole purpose of selling people exorbitantly priced airships.  Lots of useless fluff and I'm not a fan of multilevel ships with extra useless loading screens.  B+ (solely for the amenity bar)

Swashbuckler - Seems pretty well thought out with new and interesting mechanics.  Opens up a lot of interesting builds and seems like it will be able to compete even without the monk splash.  I'm liking these last two balance passes (Swashbuckler and Exalted Angel/Divine Crusader) and look forward to them revamping other underpowered classes A

bag deposit box - Fail.  Completely unnecessary, more cash grab, and doesn't even work. F

Bug fixing/introducing: Continues to break shit, epic ingredients and altars completely broken.  Status quo I suppose.  F

Overall: C+

Highlights:
  • swashbuckler
  • amenity bar

Low points:
  • lame 3BC loot
  • 3BC bugged and lame explorer
  • Useless guildship fluff, guildship prices
  • Bag deposit box broken
  • Tons of bugs
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:49pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
. Hell, party invites close all other windows also. How fucking stupid is that?

Perspective is silly.

oooooooh! Reeeeeeeeeeeeally? I sense a excellent new griefing tool to use on the masses gathered at the AH!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:49pm by »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Grade: Does not play well with others.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
E3BC--I've always wondered where the obsession with undead and pirates really originates from. I admit I have enjoyed the content when I ran it thus far but it's buggy, with fairly mediocre loot with the sole exception for me of the boots. I have wondered if that Cursed Jack Jibbers Blade is a band aid for lag wiped raids for people to recover from them if it works in such an environment. A few people having those after the lag spiked that kills the party can save an EE/EH Deathwyrm that went south.

Swashbuckler--I haven't run this yet but it has potential for a few builds so I will reserve judgement. I will say the SWF line that was introduced was rather amazing on a wolf melee build I am running at the moment. So for me that one's a win.

Guild buffs--I like how they have listened and made it one button and go, last through death and even pause in public spaces. The Chrono bonus that duplicates the Time Pendant without you having to click on the slowest freakin' clickie in the game which annoyed me enough I never used it save during Mabar or Code and often didn't bother even then.

Guild levels--Meh

Guild Ships--Damn the original list was hideous stupid money grabbing. The reduced rate is still outrageous but might be doable. Personally I keep a VIP sub just for the convenience and the fact I understand and appreciate they have to make money on the game I enjoy. I accept this but sometimes they get a little blatant.

Bag shit---Well it's annoying and I agree if they want to police transactions they should recode them to be transactional. It is significant but very doable.

The Bugs--10k Stars thing pops to mind... well that's annoying as hell and the fact they so every rarely acknowledge how fast they rushed this and then hide without talking to the community definitely sucks.  I recall seeing Glin lament on twitter on "Like big ships and I cannot lie" making me want to barf in disgust that is just sad for a whiter than white guy...

Overall I give it a D raised from F on the strength of SWF and the Buffbar/buffs.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I like MajMal.  I wish him nothing but good fortune and success at Turbine and in life.  I am genuinely rooting for him.

But U22 was a serious clusterfuck.  Holy shit, that was a massively buggy release.  You guys broke every single type of crafting I use.  And bags.  Goddamn.  You really fucked up the bags.

Wow.  Seriously screwed up release.  I do like a lot of the guild ship changes, though.  "get all buffs" is a Good Thing(tm).

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #41 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Illetirated wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:23pm:
Stop whining you little bitch. This is the vault.

I think you must be mistaken. I don't care, and my feelings were not hurt. I was stating facts.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 11:55pm:
Everyone said, let's wait for U22 before judging..... so, how has MajMal measured up Vaulties?
How does MajMal rate now in your eyes?

Actually it was MajMal who stated that update 22 would be the time that players should judge him for the QoL problems in the game.

So judging on QoL in Update 22

As for the actual content, Epic 3bc slapped some paint on some old quests. These epic quests appear fresher than previous epicfied content, but its not making me at all excited about epic necro4. Litany trap damage is gonna be superstupid if the unavoidable trao damage in epic 3bc is a glimpse of the future.

Guild stuff is a meh for me. Seems like another quick money grab more than a real upgrade to me. But thats turbine being turbine

Swashbuckler was nothing more than some Dev adding in their new system of SWF than working within and fixing the existing systems. I wish the Devs would focus on fixing completely broken systems than adding a new layer on top of old stuff. The next update will be no different since they are adding the new MRR system instead of fixing the game within the systems that currently exist, such as merging the fucking new system MRR with the already existing PRR and adjust the fucking game from there.

Bag Deposit =

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #43 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Why do I feel like I am being push polled?  Cool

Just got back yesterday after being out of town for the last 10 days. Logged on today, chatted with guildies, and checked the Turbine forums.

- e3BC: No idea, will likely play it at some point.

- Guild ships: Nice work on the new buffs. This is really the main deliverable for this update. e3BC is window dressing for the "content focused" Chai-ites. Katana Boy working on his year end bonus with astral shard buffs and ships.

- UI totally fucked over, but we knew some of that when he announced it here.

- Broken crafting (game wide!) shows the same quality focus that Katana Boy pushed as head of QA. No surprise.

- Sounds like the new shared bank tab is "featured". What a shock!

- Swashbuckler: bard. Next!

This stuff was pushed out too early, but it is easy to see why. Turbine (and DDO) need to make the accounting numbers for second fiscal quarter, which ends on June 30.

Ideally, this stuff should have been released in May to optimize second quarter revenue. The date they picked was likely the latest possible while still giving a hope to meet revenue expectations.

Real world stuff is like that.

Grade so far: A year ago I would have given this a solid F. Given the current situation and diminished expectations, I'll give it a D+. This is simply the new reality.

The only hope here is that Katana Boy can actually fix the balance issues with the game:

- Nerfing Pally splash is a good start

- Defensive pass with medium/heavy armor also is absolutely needed

Those two, however, are not nearly enough. Need to nerf the hell out of

1) Sorc class. Shiradi Champion has been nerfed a number of times and is actually getting a bit gimpy. It only looks out of whack when stacked on top of sorc.

2) Monkchers. Too many things stack which shouldn't.

3) Monk splash in general.

4) Master's Blitz. Ridiculously overpowered, especially in the context of better defenses for heavy armor.

Cetus, this is your future:

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #44 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 1:35am
Print Post  
OK Maj, the criticism is pretty harsh, do you have anything to say in your defense?

I noticed you're strangely silent on the shithole DDO forums too, nothing since May 12?

I can understand if you can't take the heat to post here, but how about some communication on the MotherForum at least - your community manager will make sure nobody kicks you in the jimmies there.

Do you consider U22 a success? An improvement in QoL? What grade would you give it?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 2:25am
Print Post  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #46 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
oooooooh! Reeeeeeeeeeeeally? I sense a excellent new griefing tool to use on the masses gathered at the AH!   Cheesy

Trade window does exactly the same thing.
Tried moving crap off my mains onto my mules today and it was the most annoying, tedious experience.
They've really fucked this up.
However, if enough people grief using these techniques, they'll have no choice but to address it.  You can't exactly get banned for opening trade windows and generously offering random silver to strangers?   Wink

However, how do you think Turdbine would fix it......    Undecided

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #47 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Well Vaulties - I have enjoyed reading the very interesting feedback so far!  Thank you.   Smiley
And this is the reason I put it out there.
It's just too hard to know all that is going on to give a holistic opinion.

There are a few positives amongst the great feedback, but by and large the overall consensus is looking quite negative so far.  But in this day of political correctness, we cannot award fails because it hurts feelings, so....
Cairnoir wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:39am:
I award a participation ribbon.

wascally wabbit wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 7:32am:
You're assuming that, since his "promotion" MajMal has participated in development and QA.  Personally, I don't think he gives a flying fuck about the game other than "fixing exploits" - which results in breaking game systems everyone uses daily
I'll fix it for you!
I award a certificate of attendance.

So I think the Certificate of Attendance is what he is in line for.  Gratz Mal - so well done for being there and keeping a chair warm.

So onto the specifics for those interested.
One of the issues I have is that we look at the known issues list and go "wow, that's bad!".  MajMal is likely to counter, "but look at all the things we fixed!"
Thing is, I don't know of many, so to be fair, I asked others to fill in the gaps. 
What baffles me is that Turdbine doesn't have a great track record, yet they don't take the obvious opportunity to publish a "things fixed" list?  I suspect it is for one of two reasons:
(a) this would mean admitting they had bugs/faults/exploits to begin with;
(b) they're too afraid to claim something is fixed knowing it is (1) possibly not or (2) will just come back next patch anyway....

Some responses:
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 12:02am:
Sure, there are bugs, but that comes with a "Free to Play" game.

I take your point, but someone somewhere is directly or indirectly paying for the content or it wouldn't exist at all.

pape wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 12:24pm:
U23 is the Major's - U22 he came in half way thru.
I will wait and see

Barkabout wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:50pm:
Actually it was MajMal who stated that update 22 would be the time that players should judge him for the QoL problems in the game.
So judging on QoL in Update 22

I think this best sums it up:
higgildypiggildy wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:03pm:
MajMal's is the LIVE producer, the buck stops with him. 
It was released way too soon in an unready state. 

As the "Live Producer" (I would hate to have the Dead Producer role - would be a career dead end)  Grin , he has a lot of the control on what went into U22.

I suspect Turdbine were forced to push this release out before end of June - for whatever reason we will never know.
So E3BC was always on the cards.  But what about the epic fails like interface changes, bag deposit box, guild ships and buffs (so many more complaints coming out about these - they really are a mess).  Some obviously weren't ready and that was clear from Lamm and others were missed by the awesome QA dept.
MajMal would have had some say in what went into U22 - so I'm afraid my view is that he wears the responsibility on this.
To finish it off, this sums it up nicely.
Ah Pook wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:55pm:
I'd be embarrassed if I had any kind of coding/producer/QA position with Turbine right now.  U22 is a pretty humiliating example of what happens when you launch too early.  Should probably give them the benefit of the doubt, since that's generally a sign of poor management, but still.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #48 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
He gets an A in bend over ass fucking people!
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2014 at 2:50pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #49 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
You know I can see it now we probably won't hear from a producer type until October, maybe November when they push out u24 and then there is that wonderful Producers Blow me letter that is going to stroke themselves all over us over the job they achieved with u22, claiming the utter success of E3BC, the Swashbuckler, New Guild Ships/Levels and Buffs to a degree to make it look like any complaints we have are way off base.

The sheer amount of silence from management at this point is rather unsurprising and I almost feel sorry for Jerry, despite the fact that he remains... well Jerry for being the front line for the nerd rage.

When ever shall we truly hear for Mal?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint