Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) MajMal's report card (Read 42142 times)
mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: MajMal's report card
Reply #75 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I think this thread went the wrong way. Instead of us all telling majmal about how crappy the update was, lets find out his opinion of it?
MajMal what did you think went right about the update?
What do you think went wrong? In the future how would you prevent those things that went wrong from happening again?

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #76 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I just started reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Clean-Coder-Professional-Programmers/dp/0137081073

This was just too good (Chapter 1: Professionalism - Taking responsibility, page 10):

"Upon reflection I realized that shipping without testing the routine had been irresponsible. The reason I neglected the test was so I could say I had shipped on time. It was about me saving face. I had not been concerned about the customer, nor about my employer. I had only been concerned about my own reputation."

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:15pm:
I just started reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Clean-Coder-Professional-Programmers/dp/0137081073

This was just too good (Chapter 1: Professionalism - Taking responsibility, page 10):

"Upon reflection I realized that shipping without testing the routine had been irresponsible. The reason I neglected the test was so I could say I had shipped on time. It was about me saving face. I had not been concerned about the customer, nor about my employer. I had only been concerned about my own reputation."

Wow, just wow! that was sooooooooooo much better then anything my cranky little mind could ever try to serve up, right on the mark, just evil enough to sting, but still dead on, and with no cursing!

I may have to ask you to right my break up texts from now on if you have the time miki cause your fantastic!

so good  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:45pm by »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #78 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 7:12am:
Hey I'll take responsibility of this.
Pile it on.

This doesn't sound like taking responsibility. It sounds like subtext: "You dicktwisters need someone to yell at. Go ahead and yell at me, for all the good it will do you."

OldCoaly wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 7:24am:
1. Apologize.

2. Fix.

Yes, the apology step is worth taking time out from actually fixing the problem(s). Whether competent, incompetent, smart, stupid, earnest, or insincere, your customers always believe they are part of the conversation. More than having to deal with a faulty product, we utterly despise being left in the dark.

So, Maj,

#1: What is/are the problem(s) from your perspective?

#2: What is your plan to address the problem?

#3: Where are you in terms of progress on that plan?

Respect is trust; it is earned with nothing less.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Pile it on.

You'll take responsibility?  Really?  Do you still work for Turdbine?

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Pile it on.

I love ya, man, but this update was kind of shitty.  Some neat stuff was in it, but lots of crazy broken crap too.

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 4:07pm:
I love ya, man, but this update was kind of shitty.  Some neat stuff was in it, but lots of crazy broken crap too.

Pretty much This Maj.

We get it - you want to fix exploits are something will get broken where you start.

But this time, too much too important things got way too much broken Undecided

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
A new title is in order for MajMal

Prince Patchit
or
Duke Defect

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #83 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you cannot fix it, at least make a combined Crystal Cove and Mabar event. Then people will love you again.

Wut??   Huh
Surely you jest good sir!
That would be an unmitigated disaster.....    Cry

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #84 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 1:37am:
I'm doing no such thing.

And this is why I stay silent.
Back in the cave.

Nice cop out.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:31am:
I know you're a "stick it out to the bitter end" guy, but maybe it's time to hit your buddy Rowan up for a reference, or maye even a job.

I think Maj has the fast track to a future project. He just has to help keep ddo profits up till then.

His revelations to superiors about 'fixable' code flaws allowing customers to bypass their store sure did win him some points. I think a one word posting saying thanks on the vault would be fine  Shocked

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #86 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 12:49pm:
I think this thread went the wrong way. Instead of us all telling majmal about how crappy the update was, lets find out his opinion of it?
MajMal what did you think went right about the update?
What do you think went wrong? In the future how would you prevent those things that went wrong from happening again?

It's not conventional for the recipient of the "report card" to prepare it for themselves.

The intention of the thread was to elicit Vault feedback.
Whether MajMal comments or not is incidental to my intent.

Tbh, if you really want MajMal's self-scores, start another thread in the hopes he will read it and respond. 
To save you some time, his self appraisal will just be A+ across the board.  But those others ne'er-do-wells working on DDO.....maybe they didn't rate so good though.
Allow me to summarise.
U22 was all win.  Look new shinies!
Short and sweet.
All those no-sayers and Vaulties are just whiny bitches who Turdbine regard as "noise". 
Wtf do those whingers know about DDO anyway?

Did I mention I have a bladed weapon in the workplace that I use to intimidate people with (just jokes....not really.....officially I didn't say that ok)?
Hey, did I mention that I'm the Live producer now - cool hey?  Although I have nothing to do with Live releases which is pretty funny eh?
Oh, another great thing - I have a new tag on the motherforums "Produktion Malphunktion".  Pretty wicked eh?  Did you see what I did there with the spelling....
Have to go now, Vanishing Vivian is coming and she looks pissed that I threw her under the bus.  How the hell did she get a Vault account?
I thought they screen out other Turdbinities???
Need to complain to Strakeln.....later.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #87 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:53pm:
You'll take responsibility?  Really?  Do you still work for Turdbine? 

Dude, he doesn't mean it.
He's being facetious....     Wink

IP Logged

Moshpitato
Korthos Resident

I am a cabbage

Reply #88 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
So, lemme preface this by saying the whole update is a mess. I don't think even the rosiest colored glasses can cover that up.

Now let me play devil's advocate for a sec.

Turbine, like any MMORPG maker, is facing a two headed monster. One head demands a working game, free from bugs and glitches. The other head demands new content on a regular basis. I know, there are plenty of us who would wait an extra stretch between updates for a bugfix pass. But every day that passes without new shinies is a chance that paying customers are going to wander off and try a new game. Ideally, you feed both heads. But when you can't, you feed the one that is going to eat you first. Pissed off players are still engaged players. Bored players go elsewhere.

OK, done defending Turbine.

My grade for U22: Check minus

IP Logged

toaf
Waterworks Kobold

fuck you Jerrry

Reply #89 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Pile it on.

brave man. please try to fix the mess that has become of our game.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #90 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:52pm:
Whether competent, incompetent, smart, stupid, earnest, or insincere, your customers always believe they are part of the conversation. More than having to deal with a faulty product, we utterly despise being left in the dark.

Well said, Revaulting, I wish we could get enough of a chorus on this to drive it through Turdbin's thick corporate skull.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #91 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 11:55pm:
Do we really need another class?  How many people feel there isn't enough choice in race and classes?  Sure new ones would be interesting, but more important than fixing existing issues?
Instead of another class - how about rebalancing some of the weaker ones like Bard, Barb & Pally (and making 3 classes more viable at once)? 

Can't sell fixing existing classes.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #92 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:15pm:

This is a great book.  Jumping quality gateways leads to misses and failure.  Problem is in there is no repercussions for failure.  It's accepted practice with Turbine.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #93 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 11:55pm:
Do we really need another class?  How many people feel there isn't enough choice in race and classes?

I think the devs should finish off the prestiges for all existing classes first, hopefully by working with what they've got first the devs will ever avoid another fuckup like centered kensai and selectable monk stances.

As for races, this game needs a race with +2 wisdom. Aasimar would be a good choice since they're of similar stature to humans. Slapping a new set of faces on an otherwise human body will minimize the time Turbine's gotta spend on modeling, animations and other artwork, making them the obvious profitable choice.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:52pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #94 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:21pm:
Well said, Revaulting, I wish we could get enough of a chorus on this to drive it through Turdbin's thick corporate skull.

Thanks. I had to learn it the hard way, unfortunately  Undecided

Just want to add that I've been in the same boat Turbine's in right now. And I didn't wind up changing my company's policy in any way, just how I personally interacted with customers. It improved my life dramatically. It improved a few customer's lives a little bit. It didn't change the company at all. They eventually closed down that location.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #95 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:00pm:
It didn't change the company at all. They eventually closed down that location.

LOL, corporate Darwinism?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #96 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:51pm:
I think the devs should finish off the prestiges for all existing classes first,

Only been what 5 years?

Quote:

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #97 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
The only responses you guys will get out of him is a pick of one of these:

1. It's very old code. Working on very old code is hard, yo.
  2. That was done before my time.
  3. Something snarky.
  4. When can I play your MMO?

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:08am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:58pm:
Wut??   Huh
Surely you jest good sir!
That would be an unmitigated disaster.....    Cry

Just imagine the amazing amount of hate posts it would generate. How couldn´t you love that?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #99 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:20am
Print Post  
who cares who's fault it was?

this update was as bad as everyone insisted it was going to be, plus way more terribad because of all of the terrible bugs.

Whoever is the boss at Turbine needs to realize no one gives a FUCKING SHIT about stupid fucking pirates!!

This is Dungeons and Dragons not fucking Pirates of the Caribbean.

This was the worst pack to make epic. No one cared about 3BC. You should have listened.

The loot is meh.

Swashbuckler was ok, but half of it seems broken, and even so it's useless unless you go SWF.

Stick with making epic the classic packs, or new ones.

Finish Prestige classes. Fix all major bugs (good job on ALMOST fixing throwers I hear it's still broken for swashbuckling though on the x3 Multiplier).

This new bank think was a DISASTER. ALmost all of my augments have been stuck in it since Wednesday with NO recourse because I made the mistake of actually using the new tech and it was turned off without notice by Cuntovan, or you, or your boss, or whoever. SO I couldn't get my augs out. I didn't even try to dupe!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint