Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Maj/ProdMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now... (Read 32041 times)
Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Maj/ProdMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now...
Reply #125 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 10:50pm:
Any credit given to that cumdrenched monkey butler is misplaced

Sometimes cumdrenched monkey butlers can open a sealed door to show the public what's behind it.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #126 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 12:01am
Print Post  

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Minquinn
Korthos Resident

Lotro Community Ambassador

Reply #127 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:04pm:
Wow. I guess they win.

I could be wrong here, but if you're constantly changing producers - at both companies - doesn't that suggest a gross lack of vision?

Or are they just really, really sensitive? "Oh, no, they're complaining on the forums!  We need a scapegoat - who's the producer? You're fired! Get me a new one."

After reading Feather-of-sun's explanation, I think Turbine is run by an incompetent asshole who makes stupid, conceited and insecure decisions to boost his impotent ego. Or maybe it's a chic.

Just kidding girls.

Not really.
We had Kate Paiz from sometime 2009 until we got Aaron Campbell earlier this year.  I assume that he is not much of an improvement after seeing you guys talk about the state of DDO.

At least with Campbell we get some communication, which we never got from Paiz other than her YEARLY Producers letters.   

Before Paiz we had Jeff Stiefel. 

One wonders if these are really the people steering the game or supervisors.  Jeff seemed more like a wheel man than a guy watching.  And you guys were luck enough to have NANDO!  Nando "treat the players like crap and they will complain but not leave" Paiz.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #128 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 2:16pm:
The Oracle is the best person for that kind of information... he has the knowledge.

Thank you kindly.

However since this whole thread is some sort of trial of Maj, I'll weigh in.  The Oracle approves of Maj.  Maj is guilty of trying, talking to people, keeping communication open, and the verdict here is guilty.

I saw a movie about this before -- it's called "The Wall", where being straight is a crime.  Honestly, wtf is wrong with some of you?  Yeah, clearly the best plan is to punish the guy that tried to keep a channel open for not being perfect.  [or for not being what you expected him to be.]

He communicated.  Now he's gone.  Yay, we win.  Crap on his grave for art points.

That said, if Maj really went to LotRO, my condolences.   Doesn't come up here much but the Oracle does track LotRO now as well, and as a result has an account, and characters there.

Gads, it's awful.  Empty, mindless, soulless awful.  No one plays LotRO because of Turbine, they play it because of Tolkien and memories of a book they read, and are sorely disappointed.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #129 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:26am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:02am:
I saw a movie about this before -- it's called "The Wall", where being straight is a crime.

Oh stop.  This is gonna turn into one of Thrudhth's "drivin' down the highway and everything's fine" analogies.

No one plays LotRO because of Turbine, they play it because of Tolkien and memories of a book they read, and are sorely disappointed.

What's the difference between that and DDO, besides sprites?

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #130 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:26am:
Oh stop.  This is gonna turn into one of Thrudhth's "drivin' down the highway and everything's fine" analogies.

The Oracle's been creating online communities for 30+ years.  Witch hunts are very old news.  You'll get no free pass this time.

Ah Pook wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:26am:
What's the difference between that and DDO, besides sprites?

D&D is a thing.  Tolkien wrote stories.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #131 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Gads, it's awful.  Empty, mindless, soulless awful.  No one plays DDO because of Turbine, they play it because of Gygax and memories of a book they read, and are sorely disappointed.

Fixed

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #132 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Thank you kindly.

However since this whole thread is some sort of trial of Maj, I'll weigh in.  The Oracle approves of Maj.  Maj is guilty of trying, talking to people, keeping communication open, and the verdict here is guilty.

I saw a movie about this before -- it's called "The Wall", where being straight is a crime.  Honestly, wtf is wrong with some of you?  Yeah, clearly the best plan is to punish the guy that tried to keep a channel open for not being perfect.  [or for not being what you expected him to be.]

He communicated.  Now he's gone.  Yay, we win.  Crap on his grave for art points.

That said, if Maj really went to LotRO, my condolences.   Doesn't come up here much but the Oracle does track LotRO now as well, and as a result has an account, and characters there.

Gads, it's awful.  Empty, mindless, soulless awful.  No one plays LotRO because of Turbine, they play it because of Tolkien and memories of a book they read, and are sorely disappointed.

I'm actually quite surprised that you weighed into this so strongly.
I respect that everyone is entitled to their viewpoint, even Eighnuss's "leave Britney alone!!" post almost had me in tears (almost).   Smiley

So those saying leave him alone, what makes MajMal so special?  He communicated on the vault?  Forgive me for not getting excited, but did Turdbine set the bar so low, that a guy who shows up irregularly to make pithy, sarcastic comments and blames others, is such a stand up guy?  Really?  Go read his history of posts.
Are other developers of other games that bad, that he looks good?
If I spoke to my customers the way he does, I would be out of business.

The guy is in charge of QA and in his 4 year tenure the game has become a fucking mess.  Is it all his fault - of course not, but some of it absolutely is.  How much shit makes it thru to Live repeatedly?  Either he or his team are incompetent, and we all know what Maj would say (hint: "it wasn't me!).

Ok, some of the bugs are extraordinarily obscure and no-one would likely catch those, but 90% of exploits are repeats.  How do they not catch those?

In game Bug reporting tool - how hard could it be?  Imagine how much more feedback they would get, but then maybe that was the idea - a natural player apathy filter?

Code versioning - who is responsible for ensuring that everyone is working on the same master release version and everyone starts with the same previous release code?  This is how you stop bugs recurring.  In most businesses, QA controls or at the very least monitors versioning.  Version control in DDO is laughable.

Maj's goodbye gift?  Why fix the exploits when you can lock down the UI so much as to make half the game a friggin chore!  What a dickless effort that was.  And he said he would have gone further if he could have.
Good job, you locked down that interface so well that only the exploiters can use it now and the other 95% of your customers are pissed at you for it.

Others have mentioned his many achievements so I won't continue.

Suffice to say, that I don't know much about him other than what he has told us.  He might be a funny, smart guy who is great dad and community leader.
But you know what, I don't really care.  I'm not judging him personally, I'm judging him professionally.

When I'm paying for a service, be it a mechanic or my website development, I don't care if they're nice.  It helps, but I'm not seeking a service based on that.
I want competence at the very least, and maybe even excellence.  I don't want half my website to go to dead links, but because the developer told some cracking jokes, it's ok.....

Just saying, try to isolate the individual from the role he performed and whether you think he did a good job.  If you still do, please explain how he did great?

Last point - guilty of trying?  Really, the best you can say is he tried?  Is this primary/junior school? 
Well since he tried to do his job, and failed, we should be politically correct and award him the very first Vault Certificate of Participation.
Gratz Mal.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2014 at 6:42am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #133 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 11:02am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 6:37am:
So those saying leave him alone, what makes MajMal so special?  He communicated on the vault?  Forgive me for not getting excited, but did Turdbine set the bar so low, that a guy who shows up irregularly to make pithy, sarcastic comments and blames others, is such a stand up guy?  Really?

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #134 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the fucked up UI now MajMal.

Now fuck off and good riddance to you.

cunt.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #135 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 6:37am:
Ok, some of the bugs are extraordinarily obscure and no-one would likely catch those, but 90% of exploits are repeats.  How do they not catch those?

In game Bug reporting tool - how hard could it be?  Imagine how much more feedback they would get, but then maybe that was the idea - a natural player apathy filter?

Code versioning - who is responsible for ensuring that everyone is working on the same master release version and everyone starts with the same previous release code?  This is how you stop bugs recurring.  In most businesses, QA controls or at the very least monitors versioning.  Version control in DDO is laughable.

Maj's goodbye gift?  Why fix the exploits when you can lock down the UI so much as to make half the game a friggin chore!  What a dickless effort that was.  And he said he would have gone further if he could have.
Good job, you locked down that interface so well that only the exploiters can use it now and the other 95% of your customers are pissed at you for it.

Most people here could add a few more pet peeves to your list, but yep, this. You have my vote for a Certificate of Participation.

Maj played a fairly critical role on the DDO team over the past four years. While he talked big about the bugs that we supposedly never saw, the sheer amount of broken things left in his wake is not a legacy I'd want on my resume. My goal is to leave a workplace in better condition than when I arrived. The game was a lot better four years ago.

In Maj's view, he left DDO in a state where she had the voice of a siren and the body of a goddess. All I know is I have to put a paper bag over her head before shagging her.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:12pm by Kimberlite »  

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #136 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:41am:
The Oracle's been creating online communities for 30+ years.

So have many of us.  What does that have to do with anything?

The Oracle wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:41am:
Witch hunts are very old news.  You'll get no free pass this time.

How is criticizing someone for their work performance a witch hunt?  I don't give a fuck if he's over at your house for Sunday dinner, he was head of QA.  Bully on him for talking to people and keeping communication open, but you know what that job's called?  Community Relations Manager.  And it's taken.

Here's the problem: Turbine seems to have an atmosphere of total non-accountability.  When you have a situation where one person can destroy loot for *months*, and he only gets fired because of a drunken rant in public, that's an issue.  When you have changelogs that list things being fixed that aren't, and obviously aren't, that's an issue.  That's a QA issue.  Bug gets logged, developer fixes, QA verifies.  This is pretty basic shit, and a lot of us have been doing it for a long time, which is why it's so frustrating when we're held in thrall by people who aren't very good at it.

You see a guy who communicated with the players; I see a guy who wasn't very good at his job, threw other people under the bus all the time, and made the game worse for those parts he had an effect on.  If someone wants to be proud of creative work they've done, that's great, but the moment you start having an ego about technical issues, you're done.  The total devotion to staying the course, even when they know it's flawed, is what wipes out any kind of goodwill.

Nobody really cares that the graphics are dated.  Christ, I still play Pirates! once in a while.  We're here for the D&D.  The angst comes in because this game could be great.  It's got most of the necessary parts to make a really good, fun experience, and the decision making and lack of skill on Turbine's side just shits all over it.  If you think that a QA who couldn't keep "The" splashscreen from going live and a producer who shipped with the bags in this state is worthy of anything other than "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out," I don't know what to tell you.  Enjoy the game. 

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #137 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Well said Ah Pook.

DDO has/had the potential to be great....   Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint