Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Maj/ProdMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now... (Read 32051 times)
NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Maj/ProdMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now...
Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:18pm by NoGoodDoc »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Maj/PodMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now...
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
OOMMFG!!! You traitorous bastard

Quote:
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of (no) wealth and (very little )taste
I've been around Turbine for a long, long year
Worked with many a man's kobold's and capes.
And I was 'round when Moria shipped
Working with Russia and Spain (ok France, but that doesn't rhyme)
Moved on to DDO
played with Lloth as she laid waste.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
I stuck around through Shadowfell
When I saw it was a time for a change
Left QA for Producer land
and Rowan made the change....

My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots. To the race of men, elves under the sky and dwarves in their halls of stone.
My name is Produktion Malphunktion. I've been around Turbine for about 6 years. I used to run localization for all the franchises back in the Codemasters days.
I moved on to Dungeons and Dragons Online and ran QA through a couple of expansions. I recently made the jump to producer, and Rowan then moved me from Faerun to Middle Earth.
I'll be the new live producer going forward, and you will here from me every now and again.
I do read forums often, I may not always speak, but I love to see what players think, and what ideas they have for the game, and with my QA background what is driving you crazy.

Here is a little novella about his career so far….

“It all started in the summer of 1979. I played an elf, with 4 hit points and was killed by a poison spider. The life long obsession with games began. Thank you Gary Gygax and mom my first Dungeon Master.

But I had another love, film and television. I was a Star Trek fan practically from birth,and Star Wars made me an obsessive movie nut.

Both of these loves formed my strange path to my new job.

I went to Clark university for psychology and philosophy but spent more time taking film appreciation classes. I transferred to a small community college known for television production. After 2 very intense years I started my career in TV as a cameraman/editor. I specialized in long form stories with no narration..ie no reporter to screw it up. After a few months I became the station director. Yep, 24 years old, directing a newscast, setting the on air look, rigging the studio, doing live events and NCAA sports and well, running the whole thing. Won a few awards, nominated for a few others, but it paid poorly.
I moved on to WB 56, yes this my second time on the WB train as just an editor. The OJ happened. I became disillusioned where news was going. I was still kicking but, I was nominated for two Emmy awards in editing but my heart was no longer in it. Around this time I discovered Doom. The First game that made me fall out of my chair. I was obsessed. You know how people complain about 14.99 monthly to play an MMO? I was paying over 200 a month to deathmatch. Yes calling in long distance to play a game. I saw in Doom and later in Quake the future. Passive entertainment was about to become a dinosaur. I wanted a piece of this.
I quit TV to be "freelance" but really I was spending most of my time building Quake levels, maps for Warcraft...and dreaming. A fortuitous meeting with a developer in McDonald's got me a job at Looking Glass Studios. I worked in QA for Thief-the real one, Thief gold, Thief II and System Shock 2. I was QA lead on Flight Unlimited III, and did a bunch of guerrilla design to finish the game after the producers and lead designer quit. No patch on that game thank you very much.
I became a designer on Jane's flight combat, I needed to design a full campaign for D-Day and the invasion of France. 10 missions in 6 weeks. Needless to say I didn't sleep much. Sadly LGS went out of business and I was starting a family so...
My journey took me back to QA. I worked on a 'digital non linear editor for television broadcast' (like Final Cut Pro ) and a streaming video system that allowed people to work with HD video in real time. My product was running CNN, NBC News, The BBC world news a ton of local stations..sadly that integrated system did a fair job of destroying newsrooms across the world. Sorry about that.

It was miserable. They hated me. I didn't like them very much either. I became a Kung fu artist during this time so I could hit things.

5 years ago I got a call from Turbine to lead the international QA team. It was interesting to say the least. I moved to lead of DDO QA, then promoted to manager. In that time I've shipped 8 major updates and 2 expansion packs. I jsut spent a few months as producer on DDO, and now for the next challenge!

To Mordor!
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:20pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Re: Maj/ProdMal seems to be Producer at LOtRO now...
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Wow.  DDO: Don't blink or we'll get a new producer.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
So that leaves DDO with Producer Glin as Senior Producer and Vyv as Executive Producer. One sticks his foot in his mouth on twitter all the time and is generally clueless and one who never speaks.

Those two are just about as inspirational to the player base as 50 Cent throwing out a first pitch.

Well that somewhat explains the last release.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
NoGoodDoc wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:29pm:
So that leaves DDO with Producer Glin as Senior Producer and Vyv as Executive Producer. One sticks his foot in his mouth on twitter all the time and is generally clueless and one who never speaks.

Those two are just about as inspirational to the player base as 50 Cent throwing out a first pitch.

Well that somewhat explains the last release.

Someone needs to bring this to ddo forum for doooom drama. and make sure people know the guy left without even saying goodbye. after all his big talk...
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:34pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
so are we still supposed to wait for u25 to have an opinion of major mals impact on the game

or is it finally ok to say "he too was a retarded asshole"

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:19pm:
5 years ago I got a call from Turbine to lead the international QA team. It was interesting to say the least. I moved to lead of DDO QA, then promoted to manager. In that time I've shipped 8 major updates and 2 expansion packs. I jsut spent a few months as producer on DDO, and now for the next challenge!

Hurray.

I'm glad to see all that effort on choosing Maj's forum handle paid off.

No mention of how many hotfixes he shipped, though.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Lets just hope Maj will die horribly in flames, yes?

Also, What will be left of him can be sliced and served as a bacon on our new ships.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
*shrug*

Another one jumped off the ship.

any idea which one is going to be next  Live Producer ?

Severlin, the maybe refugee from AC ?
Vargouille "I love Tough Choices" ?
Kookie, the remaining Kobold from the QA Tribe ?
DocOc, the Item maker that doesn't want to finish unfeathering the loot ?
Steelstar, the behind the scene Dev ?

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
He was nice to us, got what he wanted as far as exploits, then moved on.
Turbine finally got a win.

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Well folks, okay - Maj may have gotten the better of part of the Vault (he obviously got some exploits fixed), so, what ya say, Isnt it time now for nuclear exploit bombardement?

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
I wonder if he wanted to leave DDO or if it was only Rowans decision.

Makes a difference if he wanted to go and gave up or Rowan thought he would be needed at Lotro.

Anyways, is there an entry in the world records book about DDO having most producers in the last 2 years are most games cycling through their producers that fast nowadays?

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:24pm:
He was nice to us, got what he wanted as far as exploits, then moved on.
Turbine finally got a win.

So he used you, got what he wanted, and then dumped you.  Got it.  Don't worry, I am sure you can still be friends.   Kiss

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
It was planned.

And fuck you Maj.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hahaha.

So long for those promises.

Kudos to people sharing the exploits with him while thinking that everything will be much better and pink.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:32pm:
So long for those promises.

Kudos to people sharing the exploits with him while thinking that everything will be much better and pink.

They are assholes.
Maj is a bigger asshole.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I guess we won't see the "E3BC was a win this year!" or "i'm going to fix so many bugs now!" or

"my plan is, in this order: loot, enhancement, endgame"

What a fucking asshole

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
chances are that after seeing how shit their latest 'effort' came out, friends of friends are being moved for protection from the next round of blame and layoffs

someone who matters will eventually notice the lo$$es caused by this update and all corporate entities know (read: believe) that layoffs = solutions

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Bahaha!

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:12pm:
Hurray.

I'm glad to see all that effort on choosing Maj's forum handle paid off.

No mention of how many hotfixes he shipped, though.

Yeah the move happened the day after that post. Sorry about that. Thanks for the name tho. It's only fitting that DDO folk get to name me.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #20 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
MajMal - yet another half-finished and then abandoned game feature from Turbine.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
I wonder if he wanted to leave DDO or if it was only Rowans decision.

Makes a difference if he wanted to go and gave up or Rowan thought he would be needed at Lotro.

Anyways, is there an entry in the world records book about DDO having most producers in the last 2 years are most games cycling through their producers that fast nowadays?

I go where I'm needed most.

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:24pm:
He was nice to us, got what he wanted

But said he was only gonna stick the head in...

IP Logged

Moshpitato
Korthos Resident

I am a cabbage

Reply #23 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 2:19pm:
In that time I've shipped 8 major updates and 2 expansion packs.

I'm not gunna lay all of DDO's problems at the feet of one person (it takes a lot of monkeys to hump a football this bad), but I don't think I'd be so quick to include these updates on my list of achievements.

Did you ship 8 updates and 2 expansions? Sure. Were they loaded with bugs? Did quests and UI mechanics have to be shut off during the first week on every one of them? Were there massively exploitable defects in the code? Sure. But hey, at least we got it out the door, right?

I get it. You've got a manager above you who needs to hit a target date to get his bonus. You've got a finite amount of developer resources. You've got scope that is out of control.  Iron triangle and all that. But in the end, the quality buck stops with the QA manager. If stuff is that far out of your ability to influence, are you really even a manager?

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #24 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
He is just keeping his bread buttered.  He saw a ship with holes in it, and bailed.

Remember those population numbers we all like to talk about?  They just might be true.  Well, they are true, but Turbine really wants the playerbase to believe otherwise.

To answer Flav's post, Kookie is next.

The Asheron's Call people are all moving over to DDO.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint