Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Final Doom - the plutonium experiement (Read 11001 times)
Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Re: Final Doom - the plutonium experiement
Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:11am
Print Post  
As always, I can't distinguish which server is doing what, because colourblind.  :/

Also: fuck epic rats.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:32am
Print Post  
All time graph, right edge, from top to bottom :
Cannith
Ghallanda
Khyber
Thelanis
Argo
Salorna
Orien
Gayfinder

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #27 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 3:01am:
Do you also have a version of each graph showing the total of all servers?

The problem with an all-server total is it would compress the graph range, lowering the detail considerably.   Consider that the peak value for the combined would be, on the 3-ear graph, over 1 million, [those were the days!] which will compress the individual traffic into 1/5th the space.

I could break down and add a second axis to the graph for the all-server total, but honestly, that's going to confuse a lot of people.

Meursault wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 9:27am:
Also, if you add a "Server total" line, which would be very cool, maybe make it a "server average" instead so it plots on the same scale? We could always multiply it out to get the total if we wanted.

Server average on the other hand would work fine, in that it wouldn't disrupt the graph scale or data presentation. However even there, there's Wayfinder, which will single handedly pull it  wayyyy down towards zero.  Or Orien.  Whichever is lower.

And … can't everyone see the average with their eyes as it is?

itsmineisawitfirst wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 6:07am:
I know a downtrend when I see one. The extra logins due to the cards was amusing though.

The card mechanic traffic burst is comical.  And was painfully easy to call in advance.

On a plus note, since the game API is long since broken, at least the Oracle's guild data numbers aren't being pulled low by the endless collection of level 4 alts. Making lemonade!

Meursault wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 9:27am:
Is there any chance you could replace the "today" with an actual date in the "<units> back from today" axis label? When the graphs don't refresh it takes a bit of work to figure out just where the graph fits in, and having that in the label would help.

The date the report was run is at the top of the page, if that helps?

AtomicMew wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 3:35pm:
Something is off with your wayfinder curve in the last plot.  It extends past zero weeks and into the future a bit.

It could be off, or it's a metaphorical statement about when Wayfinder will have a player base.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #28 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:32am:
All time graph, right edge, from top to bottom :
Cannith
Ghallanda
Khyber
Thelanis
Argo
Salorna
Orien
Gayfinder

Very much obliged, thank you!  Having deuteranopia AND triteranomaly makes charts like that basically incomprehensible to me  Embarrassed

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #29 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 7:06pm:
Very much obliged, thank you!  Having deuteranopia AND triteranomaly makes charts like that basically incomprehensible to me  Embarrassed

Sorry man.  Coming up with that many discernible colors at all was a trick.  Check the LotRO graph for a serious color fail.  [And yes, there was an attempt at line patterns.]

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #30 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 5:35pm:
It could be off, or it's a metaphorical statement about when Wayfinder will have a player base.

lmao.  Soon™

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #31 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 5:35pm:
Server average on the other hand would work fine, in that it wouldn't disrupt the graph scale or data presentation. However even there, there's Wayfinder, which will single handedly pull it  wayyyy down towards zero.  Or Orien.  Whichever is lower.

And … can't everyone see the average with their eyes as it is?

I'd be happy to have the average of all but Wayfinder. Actually, I'm happy to have whatever you are willing to do, I certainly don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth!

But personally, I fairly often pull up a rectangle to get estimates of each server at a given point and add them for a total. I like to consider percentage drop between 2 points in time, and I have a hard time eyeballing that. An average line would be a nice addition.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #32 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
so in the last 3 years, DDO lost 2/3 of the playerbase

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #33 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
and why is the X(close) button on the lower right, instead of upper right   Smiley

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #34 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 10:03pm:
I'd be happy to have the average of all but Wayfinder.

Boy that's reeeallllly specific.  Maybe.  Once.

FakeStrake wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:03pm:
so in the last 3 years, DDO lost 2/3 of the playerbase

2/3rds of the logins.  Just remember how OCD the playerbase is and .. reconsider what you're seeing.

FakeStrake wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:04pm:
and why is the X(close) button on the lower right, instead of upper right

The Windows, Mac & Linux conspiracy Must Be Stopped™.  Fight the man! 

Seriously, what moron put the close button on the upper right?  You make stuff in the toilet go away with a DOWN motion!  My gawd, not up! Up is bad! This UI only makes sense.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #35 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 1:45am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 26th, 2014 at 1:34am:
Seriously, what moron put the close button on the upper right?  You make stuff in the toilet go away with a DOWN motion!  My gawd, not up! Up is bad! This UI only makes sense.

Your handle is on the lower right side of your toilet tank? Weird. Mine is in the upper left. Are you in Europe? Do you have extra-fancy toilets?

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #36 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 3:17am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 26th, 2014 at 1:45am:
Your handle is on the lower right side of your toilet tank? Weird. Mine is in the upper left. Are you in Europe? Do you have extra-fancy toilets?

No I'm in the US.  The handle is upper left, but the money shot is always down.  Chickens showed me the truth - getting rid of something is always more down than up.  And trust me, they do a lot of getting rid of stuff.  Pretty much on everything.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #37 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 26th, 2014 at 1:34am:
Boy that's reeeallllly specific.  Maybe.  Once.

LOL, no, by no means do a "one off" for me!

I meant that I don't really care about wayfinder, so including or excluding it didn't matter and if you were inclined to add an average line but worried about Wayfinder dragging it down, then dropping Wayfinder might be a solution.

And I'm honored that even got a "maybe", thanks  Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #38 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 5:05am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 8:02pm:
Sorry man.  Coming up with that many discernible colors at all was a trick.  Check the LotRO graph for a serious color fail.  [And yes, there was an attempt at line patterns.]

That's okay...  I honestly can't think of a single thing you could do to an image of that size which would make the results distinguishable to me.  Patterned lines on that scale are too hard to follow.  I'd do much better if the key and the lines were maybe four times the thickness, but that's hardly practical  Grin

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #39 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 5:05am:
That's okay...  I honestly can't think of a single thing you could do to an image of that size which would make the results distinguishable to me.  Patterned lines on that scale are too hard to follow.  I'd do much better if the key and the lines were maybe four times the thickness, but that's hardly practical  Grin

I don't know how much work you're interested in putting into viewing them, but you could probably save a copy of the image and use an image editor to make a global color substitution - first replace one of the line colors for neon orange, then replace all of the other line colors with grey.

Do I recall you saying you use Linux? If I'm correct in that, you could set up a shell script to download the files with wget and then script the change (I think it's ImageMagick that's the scriptable image manipulation program, but maybe it's Gimp). Windows probably has something similar available, but I'm even less familiar with Windows image manipulation Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint