Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Monday's Downtime Speculations (Read 11629 times)
OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Re: Monday's Downtime Speculations
Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 29th, 2014 at 4:51pm:
maybe they will try to fix the lag generated by the fucking turbine border router on PNAP side... Since the maintenance will affect everything.

Doesn't LOTRO still use Tolkien Ring Adapters with their networks?

Okay, my first attempt at Flavish techno humor. How did I do?

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:24am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:23am:

Ba-dum CHING!  Grin

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:26am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:23am:

Okay, my first attempt at Flavish techno humor. How did I do?

I chuckled.  Cool

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

toaf
Waterworks Kobold

fuck you Jerrry

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 4:13am
Print Post  
you could have said something about the mau reset tool also. but ya funny... Tolkien Ring Adapters .....

IP Logged

Overmind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Are we fucked yet?

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Selfie.

IP Logged

WP
Waterworks Kobold

All of life's problems
can be solved by kicking

Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Time to start your bets - will DDO be back for time or delay...

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #32 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:43am
Print Post  
If they need delay after 9 hours  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #33 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:43am
Print Post  
How could they not complete in the massive window of time that they gave themselves?

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #34 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Never underestimate incompetence of turbine.

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #35 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:49am:
Never underestimate incompetence of turbine.

You... you forgot the "d"!! HE FORGOT THE "d"!!! HE'S NOT ONE OF US!!!! IMPOSTOR!! WITCH!!!!! BURN HIM ALIVE!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:17am by Bones »  

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #36 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:17am:
You... you forgot the "d"!! HE FORGOT THE "d"!!! HE'S NOT ONE OF US!!!! IMPOSTOR!! WITCH!!!!! BURN HIM ALIVE!!!!!!

I support this righteous call  Cool

IP Logged

that_arrow_guy
Waterworks Kobold

nothing to see here, move
along

Reply #37 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:17am:

+1

I have too many toons

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #38 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
And they're back up.  Khyber is, anyway!

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #39 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Aaaaand... all is as it was.  Excellent.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ugg the Unwise
Titan Demolisher

Reply #40 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Really.. I was expecting the notice to be changed to this...

Downtime Notice: Monday, June 30th from 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:30:33 +0000
The DDO Game Servers and http://myaccount.turbine.com will be offline for maintenance on Monday, June 30th from 6:00 AM to July 1st 3:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). The forums will remain up, but players may not be able to log in. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:10pm by Ugg the Unwise »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:08pm:

lol! nice. they must really need the log ins report to not be any lower

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Reply #42 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:08pm:

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #43 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Mr wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:43am:
How could they not complete in the massive window of time that they gave themselves?   

You really have no clue...

Just to give you an idea...
$TELCO calls at 3 AM, Card 4*10 Gigabit went down on a backbone router... at 1AM. It needs to be replaced. ( notice that some customers have already been down for two hours ).
I ask for all the relevant information ( site location, how to get in the site, and so on ) and then call $SUB-CONTRACTOR ( dubbed as $SUB after ) for an on site tech to go there to replace the card. $SUB calls 30 minutes later asking me for more details ( site acces and location.. .dummy, I sent them to you when I opened the ticket ), I repeat the relevant information... 15 minutes laters $SUB gives me the name and mobile number of the tech that will change the card. ( yeah another 45 minutes lost )
Site is in the backyard of nowhere in Froggy Land, The tech from $SUB will take one hour to reach his office and grab cards ( notice the plural ) and then he will have to dr'ive for 2 hours... ( So basically when he reach the site [note it doesn't means when he replace the card, just parking his car near the site ], the card has been down for 5H45... )

Once there site access was good ( he got lucky, it's not uncommon that they can't get inside ), so he replaces the card ( add 15 to 30 more minutes ), new cards is DOA ( Dead on Arrival, about 10% are like that... in some case it's up to 20% ), he needs to go back to car to fetch the other card ( he got lucky he could bring two cards ) [ 15 more minutes ]... Second Card is good...
So in the end for the people connected to that router ( Bad Luck, the card was carrying the backbone ports, so lots of people was isolated ) the downtime was... Almost 6 hours...

And that's a lucky case...
I can give you one recent example where the time between being called ( 1hour after failure ) and the time for the new cards to work is more than 12 hours.

So since usually the Monday Maintenance is datacenter stuff, it can means so many things ( moving servers to another rack cabinet, replacing all the switches, upgrading the SAN, new firmwares on stuff... and Windows Patches ) that Massive Maintenance Windows are not that massive.

I could also tell you about a system update for a French $TELCO  that spanned from Friday 6PM to Monday 7 AM... and at Sunday 5PM we noticed that we had forgotten half the data in the migration... It was a happy night after that ( Happy Coding, Happy data extracting and Happy keep the customer busy so that he won't notice that we have a Problem.
Yes we managed to avoid having to extend the maintenance window, but it had a cost : nobody with any knowledge on that system was at work on monday, to the despair of the Project Mangler.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #44 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
tl dr

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #45 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
*Checks again*....

Did they... Did they really not fix anything?... As much as I'm happy to still have my shinies, this is actually a tad scary.

Maintenance Mode, soon?
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:42pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #46 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:42pm:
*Checks again*....

Did they... Did they really not fix anything?... As much as I'm happy to still have my shinies, this is actually a tad scary.

Maintenance Mode, soon?

They updated the lag, I think.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2014 at 4:12pm by Quak »  

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:01pm:

$TELCO calls at 3 AM, Card 4*10 Gigabit went down on a backbone router... at 1AM. It needs to be replaced. ( notice that some customers have already been down for two hours ).
I ask for all the relevant information ( site location, how to get in the site, and so on ) and then call $SUB-CONTRACTOR ( dubbed as $SUB after ) for an on site tech to go there to replace the card. $SUB calls 30 minutes later asking me for more details ( site acces and location.. .dummy, I sent them to you when I opened the ticket ), I repeat the relevant information... 15 minutes laters $SUB gives me the name and mobile number of the tech that will change the card. ( yeah another 45 minutes lost )
Site is in the backyard of nowhere in Froggy Land, The tech from $SUB will take one hour to reach his office and grab cards ( notice the plural ) and then he will have to dr'ive for 2 hours... ( So basically when he reach the site [note it doesn't means when he replace the card, just parking his car near the site ], the card has been down for 5H45... )

Once there site access was good ( he got lucky, it's not uncommon that they can't get inside ), so he replaces the card ( add 15 to 30 more minutes ), new cards is DOA ( Dead on Arrival, about 10% are like that... in some case it's up to 20% ), he needs to go back to car to fetch the other card ( he got lucky he could bring two cards ) [ 15 more minutes ]... Second Card is good...
So in the end for the people connected to that router ( Bad Luck, the card was carrying the backbone ports, so lots of people was isolated ) the downtime was... Almost 6 hours...

I can give you one recent example where the time between being called ( 1hour after failure ) and the time for the new cards to work is more than 12 hours.

So since usually the Monday Maintenance is datacenter stuff, it can means so many things ( moving servers to another rack cabinet, replacing all the switches, upgrading the SAN, new firmwares on stuff... and Windows Patches ) that Massive Maintenance Windows are not that massive.

I could also tell you about a system update for a French $TELCO  that spanned from Friday 6PM to Monday 7 AM... and at Sunday 5PM we noticed that we had forgotten half the data in the migration... It was a happy night after that ( Happy Coding, Happy data extracting and Happy keep the customer busy so that he won't notice that we have a Problem.
Yes we managed to avoid having to extend the maintenance window, but it had a cost : nobody with any knowledge on that system was at work on monday, to the despair of the Project Mangler.

Hell. Have a drink, glad I became a welder, that sounds horrible couldn't be arsed.

IP Logged

itsmineisawitfirst
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
What? Me Worry!?!

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #49 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:01pm:

Flav is there a shorter version, my eyes hurt?   Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint