Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO Producer's Letter July 2014 (Read 33086 times)
Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

DDO Producer's Letter July 2014
Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:07am
Print Post  
For those who are not able to see the forums and for those lazy bastards

DDO Producer's Letter July 2014
Hello! I’m writing today to tell you more about our plans for DDO in the coming months, and introduce you to a few folks you might not know. We’ve made some adjustments to our “road map” for 2014 that we think you’ll be excited about, and we’ve added a few folks to the team that we want to introduce you to.

For those of you who missed my letter written for DDO’s 8th anniversary, my name is Athena, and I’m DDO’s Franchise Director. I’m the person heading up the DDO team, working with our partners, producers, and teams leads, and making various business decisions that keep the engines running. We’re really pleased to have added Design Manager Severlin to our team in recent months, and I notice that you’ve already been seeing his design leadership in action in the Official Discussion Forums (and in the game!) Severlin comes to DDO from Asheron’s Call, where he served as Producer (and wore many hats) for quite some time. Additionally, we’ve added two other members of the Asheron’s Call team to our staff: NoWorries and Kintani, who are working on items, quests, systems, and more! Of course, it takes a huge amount of creativity to keep DDO going, so I also want to thank the many other developers, quality assurance, production, operations, art, and community people I work with every day for all of their hard work – thank you!

When Rowan spoke with you back in December, we outlined a plan for 2014 that we’ve delivered so far (like Epic Three Barrel Cove, Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, etc.) However, we’re making a few changes to our calendar for the rest of the year, and I want to make sure you are up-to-date on our plans. Initially, we were considering creating Anauroch for Update 23, and raising the level cap to 30 in Update 24. Rowan also talked about the concept of “Sentient Weapons” in his letter, although that wasn’t assigned to an update. You can expect all of these things to happen! But, our team has been looking at alternatives, reading your ideas on the forums (and Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Twitch, etc.), discussing our plans with the Players Council, and gathering their feedback on what they’d like us to work on. We’ve been talking amongst the team as well, assessing what it is we’d like to do, and when the right time to do it is. In that context, we’ve shifted our plans slightly.

Update 23 will bring Epic Orchard of the Macabre to DDO, along with a new Epic raid! While the raid will share some locations and similarities to the current Accursed Ascension raid (“Abbot raid”), our team will bring a whole new series of challenges to adventurers brave enough to enter. We’re not simply “adding hit points to the Abbot”, but are rather re-thinking the raid space for an entirely new battle, with a new story line, baddies, loot, and more! One of the things we’re looking to do in the coming year is to provide more high-level questing and raiding to DDO, and we think an Epic Orchard of the Macabre fits nicely with that goal.

Besides newly Epi-fied versions of the quests found in Orchard of the Macabre, we’re also planning to make sure the Orchard itself is ready for high-level adventure with exciting battles against rare enemies, werewolves (yes, in Eberron!), new loot, and more! We’ll be talking a lot more about the Epic Orchard of the Macabre in the coming months, and I can’t wait for you to see what our devious devs have planned.

Update 23 will also feature a series of improvements aimed at making sure heavy armor-wearing adventurers feel powerful and ready to go toe-to-toe with some of DDO’s toughest enemies, updates to improve the Paladin class, and other changes that will give our melee players a boost. We’re also creating new Augments for our Crystal Cove event that higher-level players can slot into their favorite weapons, armor, and items, and expect to bring those new Augments to you when Crystal Cove reopens after the release of Update 23.

Update 24 will round out the year with new quests, new Festivult cookies, and a new event that centers on something we can all agree on: looting chests! We’ll be continuing our work on the Anauroch Desert (in the Forgotten Realms), planning for Sentient Weapons, and developing another Classic Dungeon like the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. We expect these to be something you’ll see in the first half of 2015. We’re pushing out the level cap for now to make sure we have plenty of questing to support your journey through the highest levels of DDO. Hitting level 30 will be a big milestone for DDO, and we want to put it out when the timing is right, and make sure its design keeps up with the way you, the players want to play DDO.

And these are just the tip of the iceberg that is our whiteboard. We are constantly reviewing our ideas and your suggestions, and making adjustments based on your changing needs and requests as well as our own excitement on new ideas for you to play with, so you may see a few more surprises pop in over the next year as we get closer to releasing our updates.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you about these plans, and anything else you’d like to see happen in DDO! Happy adventuring, and we’ll see you in Dungeons & Dragons Online!

Cheers!
Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters
Franchise Director – Dungeons & Dragons Online

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: DDO Producer's Letter July 2014
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I like postponing the level cap raise.  Raising the level cap too fast screws up the loot/gear and the leveling.  They really jacked up everything when then went to 28.  Especially the loot.

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Only bit that confuses me is upgraded Cove loot... They didn't mention it.

Perhaps they plan to get the Cove out again soon with upgraded loot, then after u23 with new Augments?... Unless they cancelled the upgraded loot all together.

BAAHAHAHAAAA!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:21am by Bones »  

IP Logged

H8Tank
Titan Demolisher

Turbine Banned

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
She! Likes! Exclamation points!!!!

I like the "slow it down" plan, if they take the time to get it right.

IMARANGER wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:36pm:
Your are stupider.

IMARANGER wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:54pm:
I'm fantasizing about your small penis right now. 

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:21am:
Only bit that confuses me is upgraded Cove loot... They didn't mention it.

Perhaps they plan to get the Cove out again soon with upgraded loot, then after u23 with new Augments?... Unless they cancelled the upgraded loot all together.

BAAHAHAHAAAA!  Grin

I believe the augments ARE the "upgraded loot."

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:46am
Print Post  
So rehashed Orchard ( it better be epic GH quality ) and 1 more update this year.
That's not enough to stop bleeding players.

Fucking Crystal Cove, who gives a shit, now that is going to be used as a "content" ?

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:45am:

Sure sounds like it....  Sad

... Wait a sec...

Flav wrote on Jun 22nd, 2014 at 3:07pm:
Don't set your expectation too high when it comes to Cove Upgrade...

Ah... That's probably what Flav meant by that?...
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2014 at 1:55pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

Ioun
Dragon Raider

Daddy don't hurt me.

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Epic orchard sounds pretty fun, I've always enjoyed slayer and quests out there. Also glad to see they held off on the level 30.

IP Logged

H8Tank
Titan Demolisher

Turbine Banned

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:45am:

Will I have to dupe something new to get them?  Yummy.

IMARANGER wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:36pm:
Your are stupider.

IMARANGER wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:54pm:
I'm fantasizing about your small penis right now. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I agree with comment about content pace.  I'm cool with slowing down the level cap, but keep the content on a fast track.  Although quality is more important than quantity.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
I think it's interesting we have a couple of the Asheron's Call folk on board now - I wonder if the teams are merging more than people are moving to the DDO team? That would make it easier for eventual mothballing.

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty happy with most of these.
Couldn't care less about the new augments, unless they're heal amp. Aside from that the rest sounds fun.

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
i like the postponing of the cap raise too, but only because of my eTRs and iTRs  Grin

IP Logged

grimorde
Dragon Raider

eh whatever...

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
so I also want to thank the many other developers, quality assurance,

er....

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Athena lies, just ask Kratos.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Rincewind wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:07am:
Update 23 will bring Epic Orchard of the Macabre to DDO, along with a new Epic raid! While the raid will share some locations and similarities to the current Accursed Ascension raid (“Abbot raid”), our team will bring a whole new series of challenges to adventurers brave enough to enter.

We’re not simply “adding hit points to the Abbot”, but are rather re-thinking the raid space for an entirely new battle, with a new story line, baddies, loot, and more! One of the things we’re looking to do in the coming year is to provide more high-level questing and raiding to DDO, and we think an Epic Orchard of the Macabre fits nicely with that goal.

Cool. After you killed off all your older raids. You're going to need about 5 more at least. Then there will be almost something to do at cap. Make sure the raid levels are 30+. Same as Thunderholme raids blocking out players under 24/25. Loot levels ml 27/28

werewolves (yes, in Eberron!)
fuck you. Werewolves.... Put in something new. You have an entire collection of 40 years of D&D monsters. Have any of you ever even glanced over a few of these? Ever?

We’re also creating new Augments for our Crystal Cove event that higher-level players can slot into their favorite weapons, armor, and items, and expect to bring those new Augments to you when Crystal Cove reopens after the release of Update 23.
It's getting duped.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

AnalFissure
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Ohfaq wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 1:37pm:
i like the postponing of the cap raise too, but only because of my eTRs and iTRs  Grin

Do you Lesser True Reincarnate too?  Epic Reincarnation isn't a True Reincarnation. Rule of thumb:  Does it reset flagging?  Lesser/Epic: No. Not True.  Heroic/Iconic: Yes. Is True.
Leave the T out of the "eR" abbreviation, or a less kind but equally anal Vaultie will likely point out that you'd have to be a mouth-breathing, jizz-slurping, cum-guzzling, gutter-slut to make such an obvious mistake. Repeatedly.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:46am:
Fucking Crystal Cove, who gives a shit, now that is going to be used as a "content" ?

Yes they consider events as new content.

Last year wasnt there a glitch that made house k unwalkable unless fom was cast because they fucked up the area with an upcoming hockey-rugby event that never happened. A producer said that more events were planned for the future because it was content that helped the game or some other fucking moronic shit like that.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:09pm:
Cool. After you killed off all your older raids. You're going to need about 5 more at least. Then there will be almost something to do at cap. Make sure the raid levels are 30+. Same as Thunderholme raids blocking out players under 24/25. Loot levels ml 27/28

Here's the question?  Can they make a raid/new content loot pack WITHOUT completely invalidating all previous end game content?

Let's see:

CITW/FR Release - Invalidated pretty much all Level 20 Epic Raids and Epic content.
Gianthold and FoT - Invalidated pretty much everything that came before except a handful of the CiTW weapons.
Stormhorns and Wheloon - Invalidated FoT and Gianthold loot for the most part (even without having a raid)
Haunted Halls and Thunderholme - Invalidated a lot of shit and made old content less likely to be run for anything but Epic Reincarnation leveling. 

They gotta stop with this process.  Outside of Shroud, I can't think of another time where 1 adventure pack so completely took over the loot. 

They had it right when people were running eChrono, eVon, eDQ, ToD, LoB/MA, Shroud, eFens, eCarnival for loot all the freaking time.  Was the best time for DDO end game. 

Since then they have lost focus and keep making the new stuff the only stuff worthwhile to grind.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #19 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm:
Yes they consider events as new content.

Last year wasnt there a glitch that made house k unwalkable unless fom was cast because they fucked up the area with an upcoming hockey-rugby event that never happened. A producer said that more events were planned for the future because it was content that helped the game or some other fucking moronic shit like that.

Events are fine, but the content needs to be fresh or the loot needs to be fresh.  You can't keep trotting the same cove out with the same loot year after year after year.  Everybody has everything they need.  And they are tired of it.  And gimic mechanics (like the torch running) get old fast.

When was the last time they gave us some decent challenges?  I used to love running the Ring of Fire and a couple of those.  Those can be great fun. 

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #20 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
AnalFissure wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:21pm:
Do you Lesser True Reincarnate too?  Epic Reincarnation isn't a True Reincarnation. Rule of thumb:  Does it reset flagging?  Lesser/Epic: No. Not True.  Heroic/Iconic: Yes. Is True.
Leave the T out of the "eR" abbreviation, or a less kind but equally anal Vaultie will likely point out that you'd have to be a mouth-breathing, jizz-slurping, cum-guzzling, gutter-slut to make such an obvious mistake. Repeatedly.

in all fairness, you`re right. it`s indeed eR. i was just using the term TR out of habbit and i hadnt noticed it`s wrong.
that been said, thank god you are kinder than those name calling anal vaulties. to whom i would respond to diaf. repeatedly.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:43pm by Ohfaq »  

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
We need a way to customize the freaking items, would be awesome to let us choose whatever we want to use. Like if we could upgrade the str stat in the gloves of the claw to +10/11.
I know it's just a dream but i'm bored at work while wait for the next World Cup game.  Cheesy

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Woho, I can do all etr I want now, no need to go fast. Cheesy

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Heart Seed changes
Quote:
Yes, this is change is also in our upcoming patch.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444707-DDO-Producer-s-Letter-July-2014...

Bard changes
Quote:
Spellsinger and Warchanter improvements will actually arrive before Update 23. These changes are currently expected to be in our next patch, which is slated to release this month (in July.)

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444707-DDO-Producer-s-Letter-July-2014...

Don't get too attached to your Thunderforged weapons.
Quote:
We do not yet have a formal update assigned for Sentient Weapons, but are instead moving forward on the design of them, and will release them when we are ready.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Reply #24 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 3:33pm:
Here's the question?  Can they make a raid/new content loot pack WITHOUT completely invalidating all previous end game content?

I'm beginning to think that's Turbine's strategy to combat duping.  Making all the old stuff obsolete makes for a whole new grind!

(Well, at least for the first few hours of release until someone finds a way to dupe again...)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint