Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) An open letter to Turbine (Read 7388 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

An open letter to Turbine
Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:54am
Print Post  
For the years of enjoyment I offer this advice, despite the years of lacking customer service.

Give up the witch hunt over duping.  You will only do your company and the game more harm than good by continuing to fight this war.  Continuing to add band-aid code on top of the existing code is only creating more glitches and hasn't done a thing to fix duping.

Here are your choices.  You can either rewrite the code and/or create new, better codes that will by pass the problem, but we all know you're not going to do that.  You've never done that for any problem, so it's not going to happen now.

Or you can continue to try and tweek the existing code, which has been working about as good as trying to nail wooden boards onto a carton of milk to stop a leak.  Continuing down this path only makes the game glitchier and  is upsetting and driving away innocent people from the  game.

Or you can have us turn each other in and create a witch hunt that will have us snitching on each other and use the ban hammer with extreme prejudice until a dozen fan boys are left standing as your only customers. 

Or just let it go.  Accept what we've warned you about for years now, that adding bad code on top of bad code only creates more bad code.  We asked for bugs to get fixed, you didn't listen.  The best advice now is to cut your losses on existing items that can be dupped and move forward to a new system for upcoming items.

Move forward, admit this was at least partially your fault, give amnesty and try to keep what remains of your player base.

You won't listen though, you never do.  That's why there's such a mad hate for the company of the game we love - you don't listen and you think you're always right.

Just let this one go.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:44am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Dargon
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: An open letter to Turbine
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:22am
Print Post  

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:23am
Print Post  
+1

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:54am:
For the years of enjoyment I offer this advice, despite the years of lacking customer service.

Give up the witch hunt over duping.  You will only do your company and the game more harm than good by continuing to fight this war.  Continuing to add band-aid code on top of the existing code is only creating more glitches and hasn't done a thing to fix duping.

Here are your choices.  You can either rewrite the code and/or create new, better codes that will by pass the problem, but we all know you're not going to do that.  You've never done that for any problem, so it's not going to happen now.

Or you can continue to try and tweek the existing code, which has been working about as good as trying to nail wooden boards onto a carton of milk to stop a leak.  Continuing down this path only makes the game glitcher and  is upsetting and driving away innocent people from the  game.

Or you can have us turn each other in and create a witch hunt that will have us snitching on each other and use the ban hammer with extreme prejudice until a dozen fan boys are left standing as your only customers. 

Or just let it go.  Accept what we've warned you about for years now, that adding bad code on top of bad code only creates more bad code.  We asked for bugs to get fixed, you didn't listen.  The best advice now is to cut your losses on existing items that can be dupped and move forward to a new system for upcoming items.

Move forward, admit this was at least partially your fault, give amnesty and try to keep what remains of your player base.

You won't listen though, you never do.  That's why there's such a mad hate for the company of the game we love - you don't listen and you think you're always right.

Just let this one go.

I like the sentiments and they have been expressed before by those who are not complete anarchists.
But Turdbine view their customers as saps and morons (refer Fernando's comments), and those that dare to challenge their complete authority are the enemy - to be destroyed with extreme prejudice.
What company goes after it's players with extreme prejudice?  Do they see themselves as some sort of paramilitary orgn?  For most sane profit making entities, there are stages between "whale - we love you" and "you're terminated".  You do what you can to keep paying customers through a gating process.

And asking Turdbine to admit fault - they're too arrogant to acknowledge any culpability in this, despite it being bleeding obvious.
Their band-aids fixes are laughable.  As you suggest, they are largely ineffective and they make the game less and less pleasant for 100% of the player base.

But where does the responsibility lie?  With the coders for producing such poor quality product?  With QA for failing to adequately catch and remedy the bugs?  With mgmt for making such appalling decisions such as to pursue the evil exploiters to the overwhelming detriment of the game?  Or do we blame the mega corporation for setting unrealistic deadlines to publish beta grade product?
No, no, no - the fault is with the players of course, because then no-one at Turdbine has to look at themselves and say "I fucked that up".

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Forums aside, I don't recall the last time I saw any Extreeeeeeeeme Prejudice in DDO.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Reminds me a bit of this post
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:01am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Continuing down this path only makes the game glitchier

I suggest correcting this spelling error. Not because spelling matters (it does, a little), but because it is the most effective change that will come of this.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:51am
Print Post  
For the love of DnD dieties, no more new systems. Please.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
move forward to a new system for upcoming items.

They already know how to make a dupe-free system: platinum. You can't dupe platinum because it's not an item. If ingredients were just numbers attached to a character or an account like platinum, there would be no duping of ingredients.

When you loot 259 platinum pieces from a chest, they are simply added to your account, they're not put in your inventory as UI elements handled by a failing DBMS (Database management system) and code that allow people to dupe.

They made a way to transition from item Astral Diamonds to virtual currency Astral Shards. If they implement the same process for all bag-able items (and more, like Planar Shards, spell components ...):
1) Change all Altars and Barter UI to not accept the old items for crafting/trade-in, only the new virtual ingredients/collectables/whatever
2) Make old items clickable with a Barter UI (or just a confirmation box "Do you want to convert these obsolete 36 Small Devil Scale to usable 36 Small Devil Scale?") that converts the old items into the new virtual ingredients/collectables/whatever
3) No more duping and bag management
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:50pm by Illetirated »  

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:35am:
I suggest correcting this spelling error. Not because spelling matters (it does, a little), but because it is the most effective change that will come of this.

HAHA - Agreed

IP Logged

Dargon
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Illetirated wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:37pm:
They already know how to make a dupe-free system: platinum. You can't dupe platinum because it's not an item. If ingredients were just numbers attached to a character or an account like platinum, there would be no duping of ingredients.

When you loot 259 platinum pieces from a chest, they are simply added to your account, they're not put in your inventory as UI elements handled by a failing DBMS (Database management system) and code that allow people to dupe.

They made a way to transition from item Astral Diamonds to virtual currency Astral Shards. If they implement the same process for all bag-able items (and more, like Planar Shards, spell components ...):
1) Change all Altars and Barter UI to not accept the old items for crafting/trade-in, only the new virtual ingredients/collectables/whatever
2) Make old items clickable with a Barter UI (or just a confirmation box "Do you want to convert these obsolete 36 Small Devil Scale to usable 36 Small Devil Scale?") that converts the old items into the new virtual ingredients/collectables/whatever
3) No more duping

That's actually the smartest and most logical approach I've ever heard. I hope they don't implement it while I still play.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Dargon wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:48pm:
That's actually the smartest and most logical approach I've ever heard. I hope they don't implement it while I still play.

I'm torn between wanting a less shitty UI and being able to dupe to avoid grinding.

Also, if they make this system, they can much more easily inspect the database to look for "evil" people (e.g. who have 100 Meridian Fragments) and ban them. I don't want to get banned.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
That is logical and beneficial to players. Therefore, it violates Turbine standard operating procedures and will never, ever, happen.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
But if they replace the ingredient-system they won't sell inv-space and bags.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 6:35am:

Thank you and agreed.  Not expecting anything to come of this, they've never listened to us and probably never will.  I just think it's important to lay all the cards on the table before a foray into civil disobedience, which is the next step on the agenda.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:13pm
Print Post  

Only one problem with that:

They made a way to transition from item Astral Diamonds to virtual currency Astral Shards.

IP Logged

Scrabbit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
+1. Although, Turdbine wont listen no doubt... Cunts

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Lol.  yeah.  They are going to just let people dupe forever.  Fucking moron.  That's not going to happen.  I'm not sure I've seen a more self serving post in a long time.  The writer should just be banned by Turbine because he is clearly an egregious duping offender. 

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #18 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  

I hear you, but the problem they face is what to do with the legacy items.

How do you neutralise the dupers without adversely affecting non-dupers?
A fair proportion are legitimate goods on legit players.
You end up shooting yourself in the foot, by alienating the vast majority of existing players who do care about those now redundant items.
As such, it is almost guaranteed Turdbined will do something like this....
Undecided

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:31pm:
Lol.  yeah.  They are going to just let people dupe forever.  Fucking moron.  That's not going to happen.  I'm not sure I've seen a more self serving post in a long time.  The writer should just be banned by Turbine because he is clearly an egregious duping offender. 

You missed the point completely, which makes you completely not worth my time. 

A quick aside, I'm glad they're finally getting internet connections hooked up in trailer parks.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm:
Thank you and agreed.  Not expecting anything to come of this, they've never listened to us and probably never will.  I just think it's important to lay all the cards on the table before a foray into civil disobedience, which is the next step on the agenda.

In that case, carry on  Smiley

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
3) Same exact duping and bag management

Only DDO 2 will eliminate the legacy issue ... until DDO 2 hangs around long enough to develop a legacy issue.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 7:47pm:
A quick aside, I'm glad they're finally getting internet connections hooked up in trailer parks.

I don't know.  Your contribution here hasn't been that great.  I think you should save that money and upgrade to a double wide.  But then, you are probably stealing WiFi from the McDonalds that's next to your park.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:31pm:
Lol.  yeah.  They are going to just let people dupe forever.  Fucking moron.  That's not going to happen. 

Just to be clear, I know firsthand of rampant duping since 2009, Although I am sure it went on before then.

Who is the fucking moron now?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:30pm:
Just to be clear, I know firsthand of rampant duping since 2009

I feel like such a noob now, my first experience with exploits (not counting red dooring) was challenge chests.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint