Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is DDO a casual MMO? (Read 14063 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Is DDO a casual MMO?
Jul 20th, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Relative to other MMOs.  No hidden meaning.  Just wanted to know other people's thoughts with regards to this post on the forums.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 10:13pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Ioun
Dragon Raider

Daddy don't hurt me.

Re: Is DDO a casual MMO?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I agree with op's link. I think everyone who goes into any mmo in general should have an attitude like that though, not just DDO.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
voted donuts, though i think the truth is that any mmo can be either serious or casual depending on an individuals attitude.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Muckshelp
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Thank god, finally a donuts poll. It's not the most hardcore game out there (EVE), but it's definitely not the most casual.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
casual/10

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:36am
Print Post  
No Koreans have died, to my knowledge, grinding DDO.  Real hardcore gamers are more likely on these forums:  Grinding Gamer Girlz and True Fans

I couldn't imagine being that pathetic.

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:20am
Print Post  
It is just a fucking game.  No video game is hardcore.  You are sitting comfortably in a chair with Cheetos in your lap, some of use are relaxing on the couch while playing.  How much work are you really doing?  Click, move the mouse a millimeter, click again, may have to do this quickly, but it is still a game.  People need to get over themselves about games.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 10:58pm:
voted donuts, though i think the truth is that any mmo can be either serious or casual depending on an individuals attitude.

Voted donuts too, only cause it's been my dream to make an after hours donut place you can go after the bars shut down where strippers serve you coffee and donuts.

It's good to have dreams.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:20am:
It is just a fucking game.  No video game is hardcore.  You are sitting comfortably in a chair with Cheetos in your lap, some of use are relaxing on the couch while playing.  How much work are you really doing?  Click, move the mouse a millimeter, click again, may have to do this quickly, but it is still a game.  People need to get over themselves about games.

Agreed. Only hard core game I know is this one:

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:49am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:36am:
No Koreans have died, to my knowledge, grinding DDO.  Real hardcore gamers are more likely on these forums:  Grinding Gamer Girlz and True Fans

I couldn't imagine being that pathetic.

I love way IMARANGER goes full retard into things that need someone to go full retard into :-D

IP Logged

itsmineisawitfirst
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 5:19am
Print Post  
I'm in love with Rick Astley!

IP Logged

bosuze
Waterworks Kobold

wat kyk jy

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 5:40am
Print Post  
it's an on off relationship - off when turdbine fucks it up too much and on when i got drawn back cuz i lost my rpg virginity to p&p d&d - comme si comme ca and so lala?

so far, så bra

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 6:16am
Print Post  
DDO was never hardcore.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Something in between i guess. It's not as much grinding as korean mmo's although the epic stuff (level 28, destinies, epic past lives) made it a bit of a grind. But in contrary to korean mmo's, Turbine is making it constantly easier to achieve these goals by lowering xp and/or add helpful things like saga xp tokens instead of automatically granted xp, 50% pots, ottos boxes, heart seeds etc.

In korean mmo's, all you do is play at one spot for hundreds of hours, gather the mobs together and kill them (or die trying) over and over again till you finally reached your next level after months of playing for it...

Korean mmo's are a lot more expensive than ddo, even with these otto's boxes. I've met people that spent 40.000$ on a single mmo. He later quit that mmo to play on a private server for the same game, and built a house xD Other's still play it because they've spent too much to quit.

Also, Korean GMs are often bitches. If they find you exploiting, you are perm banned (at least for a few months). They furthermore often don't speak english very well (even if they run international servers LOL), so good luck explaining why you were reported as being in the wall and therefore a hacker (lag does that sometimes).

However, I do enjoy playing korean mmo's although I have not much time for them anymore. Finishing a life in ddo, or get completionist, triple completionist never made me feel like I really achieved something. Grinding for months for one level, getting 0,3% per lure (a lure takes 4 minutes because thats when the spells are ready from cool downs) and needing 1000% in total... Finishing off such a level, that feels great :p
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:24am by Quak »  

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Hardcore, because in order to get ONE character maxxed out with past lives/equipment you have to spend pretty much all day everyday playing the game.

I don't know many triple completionist/epic completionist/triple iconic completionist, do you?

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Illetirated wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:44am:
I don't know many triple completionist/epic completionist/triple iconic completionist, do you?

Yes

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I have a tripe heroic/epic completionist, and i didn't even re-use stones to do it =(

The sad truth is that a 1st lifer is almost as good as a maxed out toon. Especially so if it is a shiradi caster. The 12 extra damage for 9 lives is pretty sweet for throwers, true, but ... fuck 9 lives ...

Buying all of teh shitz from the ASAH even makes gearing so amazingly easy. Its not like the hundreds of Molten Core runs we used to do ... Or Plane of Valor ...

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Hardcore, because in order to get ONE character maxxed out with past lives/equipment you have to spend pretty much all day everyday playing the game.

So people are playing too casually to grind out that much?

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:04am
Print Post  

I myself can't be bothered to do triple completionist. And in ddo, triple completionist is nowhere NEEDED. If ddo was a hardcore game, you would need triple completionist in order to complete ee quests/raids; with best possible gear; and there would be ONLY ee quests.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:04am by Quak »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  

This logic is false, you don't need any of those to play the game at the "top level", EE quests and raids.
In fact, many of these are the worst players.
Hardcore doesn't necessary mean = playing all fucking day.

Simple fact that in order to stay at the top of the game, you can play few hours per week / just come back for new update for few days.

Takes time, but nowhere near other games.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:27am
Print Post  

Yea.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:16am:
Something in between i guess. It's not as much grinding as korean mmo's although the epic stuff (level 28, destinies, epic past lives) made it a bit of a grind. But in contrary to korean mmo's, Turbine is making it constantly easier to achieve these goals by lowering xp and/or add helpful things like saga xp tokens instead of automatically granted xp, 50% pots, ottos boxes, heart seeds etc.

In korean mmo's, all you do is play at one spot for hundreds of hours, gather the mobs together and kill them (or die trying) over and over again till you finally reached your next level after months of playing for it...

Korean mmo's are a lot more expensive than ddo, even with these otto's boxes. I've met people that spent 40.000$ on a single mmo. He later quit that mmo to play on a private server for the same game, and built a house xD Other's still play it because they've spent too much to quit.

Also, Korean GMs are often bitches. If they find you exploiting, you are perm banned (at least for a few months). They furthermore often don't speak english very well (even if they run international servers LOL), so good luck explaining why you were reported as being in the wall and therefore a hacker (lag does that sometimes).

However, I do enjoy playing korean mmo's although I have not much time for them anymore. Finishing a life in ddo, or get completionist, triple completionist never made me feel like I really achieved something. Grinding for months for one level, getting 0,3% per lure (a lure takes 4 minutes because thats when the spells are ready from cool downs) and needing 1000% in total... Finishing off such a level, that feels great :p

This is why I laugh everytime people say DDO is grindy. Back before I quit Lineage 2 I was level 79 out of the 85 cap back then. Had to kill 6 mobs to get 0.01%, maybe 10sec each running from one to the other included.

That's like 170 hours non-stop grinding for a level, with no deaths, which was not something easy to do considering the difficulty of the mobs at that level. A death was -4%, 7 hours lost in a second.

Exp curve was exponential, so near the level cap each level took as much, if not more, exp than all the previous levels combined (since level 1). Imagine that shit at 84->85 considering what 79->80 was.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
DDO can be hardcore or casual.  There are a lot of players who enjoy the game who only play 5-10 hours per week.  They will probably never get completionist.  And they might not care.  But many probably enjoy the game more than the mouth foaming, ranting hard core.  Most of whom have taken to duping/reusing rather than playing the game anyways. 

I'm sure someone has done triple heroic and epic completionist without duping/reusing stones, but there's no way to distinguish them from the easy buttoners and PTWinners.  Not that it matters anyways.  It's a game.  Doesn't matter what you do, as long as you are having fun and not griefing others.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 11:11am:
This is why I laugh everytime people say DDO is grindy. Back before I quit Lineage 2 I was level 79 out of the 85 cap back then. Had to kill 6 mobs to get 0.01%, maybe 10sec each running from one to the other included.

That's like 170 hours non-stop grinding for a level, with no deaths, which was not something easy to do considering the difficulty of the mobs at that level. A death was -4%, 7 hours lost in a second.

Exp curve was exponential, so near the level cap each level took as much, if not more, exp than all the previous levels combined (since level 1). Imagine that shit at 84->85 considering what 79->80 was.

I used to play 9dragons, korean mmo.
When I came to ddo, it was so easy to lvl up.
In 9d you had to kill few mobs for 0.01% xp at like lvl 120, there were 200 lvls.
Each lvl you get less and less xp from mobs, and it takes longer to kill them.
You could get to 100 in a few days, but after that, would take you a year just to get to max lvl, thats with play 5+ hours daily, and you dont do anything else, kill, kill, kill 0.01%, repeat until you lvl.
Not to mention sometimes you have to move on to strongest mobs you can kill because there were no lvl appropriate mobs to get xp from.
Death also made you lose some xp, dont remember how much, think around 5-10%.
Also had xp events every week, 3-4x bonus xp event, had items that gave 100% more xp, etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:15pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:13pm:
I used to play 9dragons, korean mmo.
When I came to ddo, it was so easy to lvl up.
In 9d you had to kill few mobs for 0.01% xp at like lvl 120, there were 200 lvls.
Each lvl you get less and less xp from mobs, and it takes longer to kill them.
You could get to 100 in a few days, but after that, would take you a year just to get to max lvl, thats with play 5+ hours daily, and you dont do anything else, kill, kill, kill 0.01%, repeat until you lvl.
Not to mention sometimes you have to move on to strongest mobs you can kill because there were no lvl appropriate mobs to get xp from.
Death also made you lose some xp, dont remember how much, think around 5-10%.
Also had xp events every week, 3-4x bonus xp event, had items that gave 100% more xp, etc.

Same here. Death was between 20 and 60% loss if you went "Start from Village" (something like release in ddo). If you took revive from a healer it was 10-30%. If you used store-only Rebirths (15 Rebirths ~ 20 Euro) it was 0% loss. And the koreans made sure that the mobs hit so hard that you died if you lagged for a second, didnt pay attention for a second, got deathlured (<3 egys), didnt have best build with best possible gear (100-1000 Euro per piece, depending on part and how it was upgraded)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint