Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is DDO a casual MMO? (Read 14135 times)
Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Re: Is DDO a casual MMO?
Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Yea, I remember just running through toughest mobs, you would be dead in a sec.
Also if you wanted to sell something, didnt have auction, you had to make your own stand, and put 9 items in there, could only sell while you are online.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:57pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I can't get into other MMOs combat. Some look good though, like Tera, Vindictus come to mind. But in all those games everyone has the same run speed. Zerging is actually crawling. And jumping isnt near what ddo jumping is like. It makes running around and fighting rather dull. Then there are the point to a spot and move there mmos. zzzzz.

The amount of grinding is far greater. The combat is less dynamic.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:54pm:
Also if you wanted to sell something, didnt have auction, you had to make your own stand, and put 9 items in there, could only sell while you are online.

Usually did that during the night on games like those. Only to realize after waking up that I disconnected like 10 minutes after setting up shop...happened so often  Undecided

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:10am:
Hardcore doesn't necessary mean = playing all fucking day.

There was no proposed definition of "hardcore" in the OP, so I can make it whatever I want.

I say hardcore = spending more than 4 hours a day (average 30 hours a week) on the game.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:54pm:

That's what you had shop chars for x) Or I had one anyway.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:42pm:
Usually did that during the night on games like those. Only to realize after waking up that I disconnected like 10 minutes after setting up shop...happened so often  Undecided

Yea, that sucked.  Grin

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:13pm:
That's what you had shop chars for x) Or I had one anyway.

Your point?
You still have to be logged in.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #32 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:14pm:
Your point?
You still have to be logged in.

That there were people having sometimes 8 or 9 reseller shops :p Sure you had to be logged in, and I didn't mean to correct you or anything. Just added a comment based on what you said Smiley

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #33 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I ddint bother with it because it takes like 10-20 min just to get to area where everyone sell and buy things on lvl 1 char.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
DDO used to be quite difficult compared to other mmo's. Traps were brutal, xp debt, permanent debuffs, but slowly that changed. This current abomination that was ddo is so easy that you can buy your way to triple heroic/epic/iconic completionist, ad nauseam.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 5:16am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:29pm:
DDO used to be quite brutal and deadly compared to other mmo's. Traps were brutal, xp debt, permanent debuffs, healer being almost mandatory, mobs that followed you all the way through dungeons, no ship buff that made low level a walk in the park, no Store and more

fify... if only they could reboot DDO to what it was before Vast and Mysterious... or at least before Retarded Streak. ... But with today's content.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:19am
Print Post  
What a retarded question. It means nothing.  WTF fuck off. Thread should be deleted this is meaningless and fucktarded.

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:55am
Print Post  
CosmicCharlie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:19am:
What a retarded question. It means nothing.  WTF fuck off. Thread should be deleted this is meaningless and fucktarded.

Fucking noob.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:09am
Print Post  
This is the first forum I know that even considers calling an MMORPG beeing a casual game. Cheesy

If you are not used to the DnD/PnP stuff DDO is not easy to get into. DDO is missing some explanation of the core game concept if you are new to the game, all the explanation and stuff you get ingame don't start at the real basics a player might need if not used to playing DnD/PnP.

Not sure if it's that hard in other MMORPGs as well if you never played an RPG or MMORPG. But the stuff is usually more self-explanatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game <-- think that 'definition' is close to the one I got from several game companies advertising their games as casual or casual friendly and several discussions about casual gamers in other forums.
And I don't see where this definition would fit to DDO.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:32am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:09am:
If you are not used to the DnD/PnP stuff DDO is not easy to get into. DDO is missing some explanation of the core game concept if you are new to the game, all the explanation and stuff you get ingame don't start at the real basics a player might need if not used to playing DnD/PnP.

Exactly this. In fact, even if you are familiar with 3.5 there are enough non-obvious and not explained differences to make it tough. They made some improvements in that direction, but it is still terrible.

If they want to retain more new players, they should make the character sheets provide more information instead of screwing around remodeling the harbor or redesigning airships. Information like the feature where when you log on it it tells you what gear you are wearing is providing bonuses that don't stack - like that but way more.

Of course, the vagueness helps obscure their incompetence - if the rules are not clearly stated then it's harder to hold them accountable when they screw them up, so they will probably just keep rearranging The Harbor  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #40 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 8:39am
Print Post  
It only has bigger learning curve if you dont know anything about d&d, like me, never even heard about dungeon and dragons before I started playing ddo.
Took me a bit longer than other mmos to learn it.
But that doesnt make it hardcore.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
There exists something between casual and hardcore.

And if you spend 3 hours (or more) playing computer games each day you are not a casual gamer anymore, no matter how slow paced you are playing. Tongue

Since there is still no common definition when a game can be called hardcore I would prefer to go with the more general meaning of the word hardcore. Which is mainly describing how much time someone is spending on something, no matter how hard or easy it is.
With this meaning it doesn't sound wrong for me to call DDO hardcore. And makes more sense in contrast to calling it a casual game.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Also in 9d you had rares that spawned only few times daily, there was only 1 instance on the server, so imagine all the players gathering there.  Cheesy
And it spawned after x hours it was killed, so you never knew when it will spawn unless you knew when it was killed, also had people camping there.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
To maintain more than one endgame toon, you have to be very, very non-casual or else be a moneybags or an exploiter.  So I'd say it's not too casual.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #44 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
What does endgame mean?
Be at 28 and have enough fate points for 3, 1, 1?

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:12pm:
What does endgame mean?  Be at 28 and have enough fate points for 3, 1, 1?

I was thinking having all destinies capped, the best twist set-up available to you, and an appropriate compliment (this is vague) of past lives, whether heroic or epic, as well as a reasonably well augmented out almost-final gearset (most swap items included).

In short, to improve further, only minor gear improvements and more past lives (whether heroic or epic) are required. 

Furthermore, an endgame toon should be one that is (at least in the right hands) comfortable joining any EE group and capable of surviving in any EE content pretty well, even if you're stuck solo or have been abandoned by your group.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #46 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 5:46pm:
Also in 9d you had rares that spawned only few times daily, there was only 1 instance on the server, so imagine all the players gathering there.  Cheesy
And it spawned after x hours it was killed, so you never knew when it will spawn unless you knew when it was killed, also had people camping there.

Ugh, hated stuff like that. L2 raids respawned once a day I think, but specials one could be a week or something. One of them was even required to earn access to subclassing, which was sort of a reincarnation system.

Problem is, it was not a set time, spawn was one week after last time it was killed PLUS another random 0-12 hours. Even worse, it was one of the farmed "epic" raids at the time, which means the top clans/alliances would compete to be the ones to kill it. Since it was a pvp game, you had no guarantee they would even let you inside, if they had not already killed you on sight for just waiting there to be able to complete your quest.

Had to camp that thing 4 times before I got through, after sitting there for 13 hours on that last attempt.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #47 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 5:46pm:

Oh I remember that too in the mmo that i played... It dropped rare items and then there were guild fights over it, and "arrangements" which guild is "allowed" to kill at what time. Or the party with highest dps wins the drops so healers had to leave the party in the end to let a dps join.

One instance is also great when all play spots are taken and you have to tell the current player on the spot to "list" you for it... Sometimes 18 people before you.. Good luck playing there that day. o/ Or boss kills where only 120 people could take part: Who clicks the door faster, wins and can enter the boss room. o/ Other group of people can say fuck it and try again next day.

<3 Drama. I don't think there was even one day without drama. <3
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:48am by Quak »  

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #48 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:07am
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:24pm:
I was thinking having all destinies capped, the best twist set-up available to you, and an appropriate compliment (this is vague) of past lives, whether heroic or epic, as well as a reasonably well augmented out almost-final gearset (most swap items included).

In short, to improve further, only minor gear improvements and more past lives (whether heroic or epic) are required. 

Furthermore, an endgame toon should be one that is (at least in the right hands) comfortable joining any EE group and capable of surviving in any EE content pretty well, even if you're stuck solo or have been abandoned by your group.

Can do all that on first life char.
I even played with some sorc 18/ 2 pally, ee tor, he was even adventurer, played better than most completionists.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #49 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:15am:
Oh I remember that too in the mmo that i played... It dropped rare items and then there were guild fights over it, and "arrangements" which guild is "allowed" to kill at what time. Or the party with highest dps wins the drops so healers had to leave the party in the end to let a dps join.

One instance is also great when all play spots are taken and you have to tell the current player on the spot to "list" you for it... Sometimes 18 people before you.. Good luck playing there that day. o/ Or boss kills where only 120 people could take part: Who clicks the door faster, wins and can enter the boss room. o/ Other group of people can say fuck it and try again next day.

<3 Drama. I don't think there was even one day without drama. <3

Distributed wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:38pm:
Ugh, hated stuff like that. L2 raids respawned once a day I think, but specials one could be a week or something. One of them was even required to earn access to subclassing, which was sort of a reincarnation system.

Problem is, it was not a set time, spawn was one week after last time it was killed PLUS another random 0-12 hours. Even worse, it was one of the farmed "epic" raids at the time, which means the top clans/alliances would compete to be the ones to kill it. Since it was a pvp game, you had no guarantee they would even let you inside, if they had not already killed you on sight for just waiting there to be able to complete your quest.

Had to camp that thing 4 times before I got through, after sitting there for 13 hours on that last attempt.

Yep, in those kind of games, guild actually means something.
That is hardcore game, not ddo.
Ddo is like hello kitty compared to those kind of mmos, mostly korean ones.

Forgot to mention most korean mmos are open world games, no instances, on 1 server, so you will have a lot of leeches, depends on the game, but in 9d if you hit the mob first you would get the kill, no matter how much dmg the other person did.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:15am by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint