Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is DDO a casual MMO? (Read 14122 times)
IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Re: Is DDO a casual MMO?
Reply #50 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:07am:
Can do all that on first life char.

No you can't.  I explicitly mentioned both Heroic and Epic Past Lives.  #bringbackreadingcomprehension

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:07am:
Can do all that on first life char.  I even played with some sorc 18/ 2 pally, ee tor, he was even adventurer, played better than most completionists.

You can make your life quite a bit easier by running a powerful FoTM build that works very well on a first life, sure.

Again, how many folks do you know that have multiple endgame toons? Again, that's multiple toons with all destinies finished, pretty much complete kit, and a reasonable complement of Heroic and Epic Past Lives.  Of those folks, how many are casuals?  The answer to the latter question is: zero.

I agree with 0bama...

Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #52 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
IF your goal is to have multiple end game toons, then no, DDO is not casual.  You won't get there being casual.

But DDO is plenty fun if you do want to be casual.  Even though you won't ever have the best or be the best. 

It's like any game.  Even Chess.  Or sex.  You can enjoy it casually or  hard core.  It's all about what you are into.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #53 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:28pm:
You can make your life quite a bit easier by running a powerful FoTM build that works very well on a first life, sure.

Again, how many folks do you know that have multiple endgame toons? Again, that's multiple toons with all destinies finished, pretty much complete kit, and a reasonable complement of Heroic and Epic Past Lives.  Of those folks, how many are casuals?  The answer to the latter question is: zero.

Sorc in DI is hardly fotm.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #54 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:26pm:
No you can't.  I explicitly mentioned both Heroic and Epic Past Lives.  #bringbackreadingcomprehension

Furthermore, an endgame toon should be one that is (at least in the right hands) comfortable joining any EE group and capable of surviving in any EE content pretty well, even if you're stuck solo or have been abandoned by your group.

Yes, you can do all that on first life char, if you cant, then go play some more ddo and stop wasting time here.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #55 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:46pm
Print Post  

Nobody at epics is casual.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #56 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:46pm:
Nobody at epics is casual.

http://youtu.be/YBcH5VeD7dQ

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #57 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
He works for turbine, so idk what is your point?
That only people that work for turbine are casual?  Grin

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #58 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 9:27pm:
That only people that work for turbine are casual? 

Got it in one. Cordo, unfortunately, might represent a high water mark for effort put into the game from Turbine.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #59 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:46pm:
It's like any game.  Even Chess.  Or sex.  You can enjoy it casually or  hard core.  It's all about what you are into.   

Sex in one line with games and chess? You are definitely a poor fellah...  Undecided

The difference between a casual and a hardcore mmo (korean for example) is that in hardcore mmo's you NEED best gear, best stats, best level in order to be good. I know first lifers that solo ee content. Not many, and they are not casual gamers, but they solo those because they have their main account banned or gifted it to someone a while ago after they quit, now came back.

That said, if you have crappy gear you are dead all the time, and so you can't level, can't play pvp, can't compete with anyone. You are not welcome in bosskills, not welcome in parties.
In contrary to hardcore mmo's, you don't need past lives in ddo. Make a fucking sorc and you are set. Level up draconic incarnation and that's it. Or make a first lifer shiradi wizard. You will be welcome in any kind of ee party, and if you don't play/stat too dumb, you will have a fair amount of kills and dps.

People in hardcore mmo's can see your gear, mostly because the different armor grades have different colors, same goes for weapons, and there is only 1 weapon per grade per class. You cannot join a party and go there with a low grade weapon and leech. Ddo disabled myddo for probably exactly this reason: people where looking up others that they didn't know and declined them if they had shit gear. Paladin heroes on the forums whined about discrimination. I bet.

If you are not top level with top gear in a korean mmo, you will have a hard time in pvp's. In the mmo that I played, 1 level lower than the opponent you faced, reduced your chances on winning this pvp by 50%. 2 levels lower and it was IMPOSSIBLE to win. Ddo has no pvp and that shit in the tavern is kindergarten crap, not worth mentioning.

In ddo you can play easily as a casual, because there's no competition, no pvp, no bosskills that require more than 12 people. There's no fight over level spots, there's no waiting to play (can always do hard/normal, after all).
In hardcore mmo's you cannot play casual, in contrary to ddo, because you got a level ranking, pvp, bosskills and you cannot participate in anything if you don't get up to the top.

Ddo starts at level 1, hardcore mmo's start at 5 levels below top level AT LEAST. To get to the top, you can invest hundreds of $ to pay for leeching, and for gear, and/or share your account with 2 or 3 friends who plays your character in turns, with timer when to wake up just to keep spots, or you bot (chances are high to get caught).

Go and play a korean mmo and see how difficult it is to get to the top with that darn xp curve. Every 10 levels you need to get 2.5 times more xp.

Level        Exp needed          
85->86     38,172,360,013
86->87     45,807,117,133      
87->88      54,968,833,525      
88->89      65,962,901,170      
89->90      94,986,948,540
90->91      113,984,718,984      
91->92      136,782,053,544      
92->93      164,138,865,195      

92 is the current top level on the server that I played. If you want to participate and be any useful, you have to be 88/89. My character was 85,7 when I quit her last year. I created her in 2007, and didn't play her for 1.5 years. It took me over 4 years of hardcore gaming, and 3000$ to get her to 85. Can't say I invested that much time/money into ddo, not even close.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 6:08am by Quak »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #60 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:18am:
Sex in one line with games and chess? You are definitely a poor fellah...  Undecided

Honestly I was expecting someone to make the casual/hardcore joke 2 pages sooner...

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #61 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Sex in one line with games and chess? You are definitely a poor fellah

Spoken like someone who has never been jumped by a horse in sexchess.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #62 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:51am:
Spoken like someone who has never been jumped by a horse in sexchess.

I thought only geldings were to play chess?!

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #63 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 6:26am:
I thought only geldings were to play chess?!

So much innocence....

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #64 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:17am:
So much innocence....

uhh wait.. what!? I don't believe you...  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #65 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:46am
Print Post  

The difference between a casual and a hardcore mmo (korean for example) is that in hardcore mmo's you NEED best gear, best stats, best level in order to be good. I know first lifers that solo ee content. Not many, and they are not casual gamers, but they solo those because they have their main account banned or gifted it to someone a while ago after they quit, now came back.

That said, if you have crappy gear you are dead all the time, and so you can't level, can't play pvp, can't compete with anyone. You are not welcome in bosskills, not welcome in parties.
In contrary to hardcore mmo's, you don't need past lives in ddo. Make a fucking sorc and you are set. Level up draconic incarnation and that's it. Or make a first lifer shiradi wizard. You will be welcome in any kind of ee party, and if you don't play/stat too dumb, you will have a fair amount of kills and dps.

People in hardcore mmo's can see your gear, mostly because the different armor grades have different colors, same goes for weapons, and there is only 1 weapon per grade per class. You cannot join a party and go there with a low grade weapon and leech. Ddo disabled myddo for probably exactly this reason: people where looking up others that they didn't know and declined them if they had shit gear. Paladin heroes on the forums whined about discrimination. I bet.

If you are not top level with top gear in a korean mmo, you will have a hard time in pvp's. In the mmo that I played, 1 level lower than the opponent you faced, reduced your chances on winning this pvp by 50%. 2 levels lower and it was IMPOSSIBLE to win. Ddo has no pvp and that shit in the tavern is kindergarten crap, not worth mentioning.

In ddo you can play easily as a casual, because there's no competition, no pvp, no bosskills that require more than 12 people. There's no fight over level spots, there's no waiting to play (can always do hard/normal, after all).
In hardcore mmo's you cannot play casual, in contrary to ddo, because you got a level ranking, pvp, bosskills and you cannot participate in anything if you don't get up to the top.

Ddo starts at level 1, hardcore mmo's start at 5 levels below top level AT LEAST. To get to the top, you can invest hundreds of $ to pay for leeching, and for gear, and/or share your account with 2 or 3 friends who plays your character in turns, with timer when to wake up just to keep spots, or you bot (chances are high to get caught).

Go and play a korean mmo and see how difficult it is to get to the top with that darn xp curve. Every 10 levels you need to get 2.5 times more xp.

Level        Exp needed          
85->86     38,172,360,013
86->87     45,807,117,133      
87->88      54,968,833,525      
88->89      65,962,901,170      
89->90      94,986,948,540
90->91      113,984,718,984      
91->92      136,782,053,544      
92->93      164,138,865,195      

92 is the current top level on the server that I played. If you want to participate and be any useful, you have to be 88/89. My character was 85,7 when I quit her last year. I created her in 2007, and didn't play her for 1.5 years. It took me over 4 years of hardcore gaming, and 3000$ to get her to 85. Can't say I invested that much time/money into ddo, not even close.

Also for almost every korean mmo you will need a macro or your fingers will rot, if you think ddo has clicking problems, you never tried korean. Cheesy

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #66 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:46am:
Also for almost every korean mmo you will need a macro or your fingers will rot, if you think ddo has clicking problems, you never tried korean. Cheesy

Never played with macros :p But it's true... My hands and elbows didn't enjoy playing korean mmo's, resulting in inflammations and cramps not only once. And it's nothing you can get used to.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #67 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:20pm
Print Post  

I will point out that you didn't mention Build... since in Hardcore MMO there is only one build that works for a given slot in a party.
All the other builds are gimped... In DDO there is several way to reach the same effectiveness for a given slot... and you can see a Wizard tank, a Cleric melee and a Ranger heal... in Hardcore MMO it wouldn't be possible, the Wizard would be the nuker, the Cleric the healer and the ranger that Ranged guy we brought in because there's a ranged bit we have to do...

Ddo disabled myddo for probably exactly this reason: people where looking up others that they didn't know and declined them if they had shit gear. Paladin heroes on the forums whined about discrimination. I bet.

I don't think it was the only reason... Cutting Cost ( maintenance, server rental, ... ) is probably the best guess.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #68 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:20pm:
I will point out that you didn't mention Build... since in Hardcore MMO there is only one build that works for a given slot in a party.
All the other builds are gimped... In DDO there is several way to reach the same effectiveness for a given slot... and you can see a Wizard tank, a Cleric melee and a Ranger heal... in Hardcore MMO it wouldn't be possible, the Wizard would be the nuker, the Cleric the healer and the ranger that Ranged guy we brought in because there's a ranged bit we have to do...

That's true. And if you decided to play a healer mage (at lvl 50 in the game that I played) you could not change it to attacker mage so you had to make a new character if you wanted to change your class. Changing spells (Ice, Fire, Lightning, Healer spells) cost 15$ per spell line so if you fucked up putting points into the spells you had to reset it for 15$ or play with a gimped toon. x) Same goes for stats and passive skills Cheesy

oh and of course korean devs love to make you spend money so they would update mobs that do high dmg so that you needed more points into agility to get more evasion = stat changing = 15$ or you could not play at that spot although that happened too in ddo but while Turbine gave people a free heart and even a +20 heart, korean GM's are not that generous :p
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:44pm by Quak »  

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #69 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
oh and what I also love.. Korean mmo's are quite unsocial. A former friend of mine has some trouble right now about a bosskill. 120 people can join that and on the server that I played, it's organized by a bunch of germans. They put the lists together when anyone who applied to join has their kill, sends bosskill share, puts up party lists, etc. So the main organizer got a girlfriend who has seven kills per week and leeches. Leeching is forbidden by the rules so my friend asked why she's leeching. He's banned from joining these bosskills till he stops asking questions about this issue. There's no one that will help him, not a GM and not his guild because you need 120 people to enter this bosskill room and you cannot find enough to do your own bosskill. He can stfu or never join again. Gotta love german dictatorship in mmo's Cheesy

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #70 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Don't read "other" forums-to gay!

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #71 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:37pm:
That's true. And if you decided to play a healer mage (at lvl 50 in the game that I played) you could not change it to attacker mage so you had to make a new character if you wanted to change your class. Changing spells (Ice, Fire, Lightning, Healer spells) cost 15$ per spell line so if you fucked up putting points into the spells you had to reset it for 15$ or play with a gimped toon. x) Same goes for stats and passive skills Cheesy

oh and of course korean devs love to make you spend money so they would update mobs that do high dmg so that you needed more points into agility to get more evasion = stat changing = 15$ or you could not play at that spot although that happened too in ddo but while Turbine gave people a free heart and even a +20 heart, korean GM's are not that generous :p

Same in 9d, when you hit lvl 60 you cant change your roll or anything.
There were set roles, warrior, hybrid, healer and nuker.
Dont have anything except that, and if you fuck up your stats, start over.
After like lvl 120-130, you were fighting mobs 2-3 lvls higher than you, and they would give you external wounds, had to drink a lot of pots to get rid of that.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:51pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
My character was 85,7 when I quit her last year. I created her in 2007, and didn't play her for 1.5 years. It took me over 4 years of hardcore gaming, and 3000$ to get her to 85. Can't say I invested that much time/money into ddo, not even close.

You're welcome to evaluate DDO as casual compared to games only a no-life idiot loser would play.  I don't find that comparison particularly interesting.

I agree with 0bama...

IP Logged

H8Tank
Titan Demolisher

Turbine Banned

Reply #73 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:28pm:
You're welcome to evaluate DDO as casual compared to games only a no-life idiot loser would play.  I don't find that comparison particularly interesting.

Like this one?
MMORPG Loser

IMARANGER wrote on Jul 20th, 2014 at 5:36pm:
Your are stupider.

IMARANGER wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:54pm:
I'm fantasizing about your small penis right now. 

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #74 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Comparing mmo to mmo, that seems strange. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint