Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bards ver 2.0 the ultimate flavor savers (Read 4108 times)
barcelot
Ex Member

Bards ver 2.0 the ultimate flavor savers
Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I just had a chat with a few guildies, we were discussing our "flavor" or gimpy toons, almost all of us have added some splash of the new bard content and found excellent compromises between a flavor and effectiveness.

Of the four, each of us has been playing toons we hadn't touched in years and now after adding varying bard levels we are all enjoying them, immensely. 

I don't know if I agree some who feel that Bards are now OP, could be I suppose, I certainly get a lot more done with my pure bards, that's for sure. But really my favorite aspect of the new bard trees and SWF feats, is the impact it has with splashing. If they stopped at swashbuckler I would have been satisfied, but the new Spellsinger, and warchanter stuff are crazy fun to splash around as well.

Here is my one problem, did Turbine realize what great content they were making? or was it just typical dumb luck.

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:50pm by »  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: Bards ver 2.0 the ultimate flavor savers
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
typical dumb luck.

The original incarnations sucked as always.  PC and player feedback helped shape the bard as it is today - I wouldn't give too much credit to Turdbine (other than implementing it).

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Yeah seems to sublime and fun to be by Turbine design, granted it is a shit load of power creep as well but man is it fun.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Ive posted several bard hate threads in past few years on mother forums, some got crap load attention.
Well initialy i wanted to troll and say how fucking useless a bard is in party, think i started that trend back when attack on stormreach came out.
Would do it every couple months, but more then 7-8 months ago one of those threads of mine got like alot +pages and some dev attention.
Honestly, they were the most shitty thing in the game, utterly useless in a min/max game.
You just couldnt build them in any proper way to not feel like a waste of slot. What we did in my old guild is just box one for blessing and perma haste/inspires and thats about it.
After artie came out it was totally useless, and after deadly was added even so more.

Im extremely happy they buffed em, as now having a bard in party doesnt feel like a waste of slot.
I wouldnt call it dumb luck, if you tell a pig not to go to a spot, after beating the crap out of it couple times at that spot, it will learn to stay away from it.
I think bashing the crap out of bard over the past few years made turbine learn that they need to change something.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:07am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Dargon
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:06am:
Ive posted several bard hate threads in past few years on mother forums, some got crap load attention.
Well initialy i wanted to troll and say how fucking useless a bard is in party, think i started that trend back when attack on stormreach came out.
Would do it every couple months, but more then 7-8 months ago one of those threads of mine got like alot +pages and some dev attention.
Honestly, they were the most shitty thing in the game, utterly useless in a min/max game.
You just couldnt build them in any proper way to not feel like a waste of slot. What we did in my old guild is just box one for blessing and perma haste/inspires and thats about it.
After artie came out it was totally useless, and after deadly was added even so more.

Im extremely happy they buffed em, as now having a bard in party doesnt feel like a waste of slot.
I wouldnt call it dumb luck, if you tell a pig not to go to a spot, after beating the crap out of it couple times at that spot, it will learn to stay away from it.
I think bashing the crap out of bard over the past few years made turbine learn that they need to change something.

Mana battery was also nice. So after cards brought infinite SP, they had to do SOMETHING to make bards not literally 100% worthless.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 1:47am
Print Post  
I am just impressed how well the change was done, lots of depth, so many ways to use it, and I am serious about the flavor thing, it lets roleplay toons still cut it on normal meta-groups, so you don't have to choose to park your theme toons.

Well thanks for you squawking on the M.B.s I used to love my bards, but had to set my expectations really low for impact, now? well hell so many ways to use them.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
Here is my one problem, did Turbine realize what great content they were making? or was it just typical dumb luck.

Honestly, I can't fault them for listening. I can fault them for how long it took them to hear.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:26am:
Honestly, I can't fault them for listening. I can fault them for how long it took them to hear.

This!

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:26am:

Yeah, the whole music of the dead not working used to drive my spellsinger nuts, actually drove him to a cleric life for a while, a cleric life!

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah, the whole music of the dead not working used to drive my spellsinger nuts, actually drove him to a cleric life for a while, a cleric life!

Little did you know you should have just splashed druid, and slotted sun flasks ... for a second or two.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:26pm:
Little did you know you should have just splashed druid, and slotted sun flasks ... for a second or two.

Ha!

IP Logged

Mawu
Korthos Resident

Tread Softly and Carry
a Big Cookie!

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
My guildie certainly likes his bard. and they are very effective in battle. but im sorry to say that unless the character has 7 or more levels of cleric i wont like playing it. and i do have a bard/cleric mix that i love dearly. then again most all of my toons are at least part cleric. ((except for right now im stuck doing stupid fvs/pdk lives....can't wait for that to end))

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Mawu wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:28pm:
My guildie certainly likes his bard. and they are very effective in battle. but im sorry to say that unless the character has 7 or more levels of cleric i wont like playing it. and i do have a bard/cleric mix that i love dearly. then again most all of my toons are at least part cleric. ((except for right now im stuck doing stupid fvs/pdk lives....can't wait for that to end))

I called the Cleric/Bard the "James Brown" build  Smiley

If you watch you will see James enflame belushi at about 2 mins!

For excellent surreal effect the dialog is in German, ha ha
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:29am by »  

IP Logged

Ugg the Unwise
Titan Demolisher

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:26pm:

Tried the sunflask thing.. Was dissappointed.. Same as with tornadoes. A wolf with tornadobreath would have been awesome..

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Ugg the Unwise wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:19am:
Tried the sunflask thing.. Was dissappointed..

?!?  The sunflask thing is awesome.  Not as awesome of course as 3x Tier III Thunderforged Shuriken with different augments slotted in each one, but at the level you can get it, it's amazing.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Ugg the Unwise
Titan Demolisher

Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:25am:
?!?  The sunflask thing is awesome.  Not as awesome of course as 3x Tier III Thunderforged Shuriken with different augments slotted in each one, but at the level you can get it, it's amazing.

I assume you think of the ghost touch and light damage?
But against regular mobs I hardly notice a difference in dps even though it states being 6.3[w].. My character may be buggy though..

IP Logged

Ugg the Unwise
Titan Demolisher

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Ugg the Unwise wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:19am:
Tried the sunflask thing.. Was dissappointed.. Same as with tornadoes. A wolf with tornadobreath would have been awesome..

I take it back.. My toon was bugged till I reset the enhancements.. It IS awesome Smiley

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:49am
Print Post  
I still can't get that one to work.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:57am
Print Post  
its more fun to just build good toons than it is to cheese

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:35am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:57am:

And more fun still to build good toons and then sprinkle cheese on top  Cheesy

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:33am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:57am:

But dat DPS doe

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:54am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:35am:
And more fun still to build good toons and then sprinkle cheese on top  Cheesy

This is my opinion as well.

I've known about this one for a while, but now that I've gotten around to try it, the guy giving me the step by step was apparently drunk/high/retarded.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint