Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Armor Up - Dev Diary #3 (Read 13600 times)
Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Armor Up - Dev Diary #3
Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Looks like Sev isn't done for the night...

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446140-Armor-Up-Developer-Diary-3

Code
Select All
Greetings,

To give insight to player about the changes involved with our Armor Up changes, Paladin buffs, and other balance changes we are writing a series of developer diaries to explain upcoming changes we have planned for the game.

In the last developer diary we discussed how Melee Power will work with Epic Destinies. If you haven't read through it you can check it out here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eloper-Diary-2

With this post we go into more depth about:
~ The redesign of the Paladin spell Holy Sword spell.
~ The increase of the duration of the Zeal spell.
~ Knight of the Chalice changes.

We have previously posted some proposed Paladin changes. While players were happy that we are giving Paladin's much needed attention, we received feedback that some players preferred that the core classes remain close to D&D. As a result we have moved our improvements into the Paladin enhancement trees, and made changes to two spells to help keep Paladin's fun and competitive with other classes.

Holy Sword
We wanted to discuss changes to the Holy Sword spell as part of our ongoing discussion of Paladins.

We have several goals with this spell:

~ Make Paladin spellcasting more valuable.
~ Make the spell valuable when the Paladin has high end gear.
~ Increase the effectiveness of the Paladin class.

The spell is being redesigned as follows.

Holy Sword
Evocation (Good spells)
Paladin 4
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Metamagic: Quicken
Range: Touch
Target: Self
Duration: 1 minute per caster level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Cooldown: 3 seconds

Channels holy power to increase the effectiveness of your equipped weapons. Weapons you currently are wielding gain an additional +2 holy bonus to enhancement value. The spell also increases the threat range and critical weapon multiplier of these weapons by 1.

Zeal
Zeal is already quite good, but as a quality of life change we are increasing its duration to match the new Holy Sword spell. It will now last one minute per caster level.

Knight of the Chalice
As part of our ongoing Paladin examination, we have made a number of changes to Knight of the Chalice to increase the effectiveness of the Paladin.

Keep in mind that many of these abilities scale with Melee Power. If you are unsure what that entails I encourage you to read our previous developer diaries.

Core Abilities
• 1 AP, class level 1: Slayer of Evil I: You gain +1 to hit evil and undead creatures. Your attacks deal 1d6 additional Light damage. You resist evil influences particularly well, gaining a +2 bonus to saves against spells and effects produced by evil creatures. All Light damage from core abilities scale with 100% Melee Power.
• 5 AP, class level 3: Courage of Heaven: Your Aura of Courage grants an additional +2 Sacred bonus to saves against Fear and now also grants a +2 Sacred bonus to saves against Enchantment. You gain +1 to hit for all attacks. Your attacks now deal 2d6 additional Light damage.
• 10 AP, class level 6: Slayer of Evil II: You now gain +2 to hit evil and undead creatures. Your attacks now deal 3d6 additional Light damage. All your attacks are considered to be Ghost Touch. You resist evil influences particularly well, gaining a +3 bonus to saves against spells and effects produced by evil creatures.
• 20 AP, class level 12: Improved Courage of Heaven: Increases the Aura bonuses granted by Courage of Heaven by an additional +2. You now gain +2 to hit for all attacks. Your attacks now deal 4d6 additional Light damage.
• 30 AP, class level 18: Slayer of Evil III: You now gain +3 to hit evil and undead creatures. Your attacks now deal 6d6 additional Light damage. You resist evil influences particularly well, gaining a +4 bonus to saves against spells and effects produced by evil creatures. Your vorpal hits against undead do an additional 500 damage.
• 41 AP, class level 20: Champion of Good: You gain +4 Charisma and 10 Melee Power. The bonuses granted by Courage of Heaven are increased by an additional +2. Your attacks now deal 8d6 additional Light damage. Any weapon you wield is considered Good aligned for purposes of bypassing damage reduction.

Tier One (0 AP Required)
• Extra Turning: +(1/2/3) Turn Attempts per rest.
• Divine Light: Your Turn Undead ability now also deals 6d6/12d6/18d6 light damage to nearby undead. Scales with 200% Melee Power.
• Extra Remove Disease: +(2/4/6) Remove Disease uses per rest.
• Exalted Smite: You gain 2/4 additional use of Smite Evil per rest.
• Action Boost: Attack: Activate to gain a +(4/6/8) Action Boost bonus to hit for 20 seconds.

Tier Two (5 AP Required)
• Improved Turning: You count as (1/2/3) levels higher when turning undead, and add (2/4/6) to the number of hit dice turned.
• Divine Might: Channel Divinity: Channel Divinity: You gain an Insight bonus to Strength equal to your Charisma modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. (Cooldown 20 seconds)
• Rally: Channel Divinity: Remove fear from nearby allies. You and the affected allies gain a +2/+4/+6 Moral Bonus to Will Saves vs. Fear effects and a +1/+2/+3 Morale Bonus to Attack and Damage for 60 seconds. (Coodown: 3 minutes)
• Exalted Cleave: Shares its cooldown with the Cleave feat. Make a sweeping attack against all nearby enemies for +1/+2/+3[W] damage.
• Action Boost: Damage: Activate to gain a (+10/+20/+30)% Action Boost bonus to Melee Power for 20 seconds. (Cooldown: 30 Seconds)

Tier Three (10 AP Required)
• Improved Restoration: Your Paladin Remove Disease ability now also applies a (Lesser Restoration / Restoration / Greater Restoration) effect.
• Divine Sacrifice: Giving up some of your life force to win the battle, you empower your next blow against your foe. This attack deals an additional (5/7/9)d6 Light damage and increases the critical multiplier of your weapon by 1, but costs you 5 hp and 1 sp, whether or not the attack is successful. Light damage scales with 100% Melee Power.
• Vigor of Life: Your Positive Healing Amplification is increased by (5/10)%, and you take (5/10)% less damage from Negative Energy.
• Exalted Smite: Active: An improved smite that adds +1/+1/+2 to your weapon's critical damage multiplier and 0/+1/+2 to your weapon's critical threat range.
• Str or Cha: +1 Strength or Charisma

Tier Four (20 AP Required)
• Censure Demons: You gain On Vorpal: Stuns Chaotic Evil outsiders for 3 seconds.
• Passion: Your Divine Sacrifice ability gains: On Damage: Gain (5/10/15) temporary spell points if you strike an undead or evil outsider an evil creature with this attack.
• Vigor of Life: Your Positive Healing Amplification is increased by (5/10)%, and you take (5/10)% less damage from Negative Energy.
• Empowered Smite: Your Smite Evil and Exalted Smite abilities now grant a buff that increases Melee Power by 10 for 10 seconds.
• Str or Cha: +1 Strength or Charisma

Tier Five (40 AP Required)
• Censure Outsiders: Your Censure Demons ability now applies to all Chaotic or Evil outsiders.
• Holy Retribution: Melee Channel Divinity: Executes a powerful holy strike against the target that deals +1/+3/+5[W] damage. On Damage: Evil creatures with less than 1,000 HP have a 50%/75%/100% chance to be forced to make a Will save (DC 10 + Paladin Level + Charisma Mod) or be destroyed. On a successful save, the affected creature takes 100 holy damage from this attack as well as -6 to all ability scores for ten seconds. (Cooldown: 6 seconds) This ability also recharges one Smite Evil.
• Sealed Life: You are immune to Energy Drain.
• Avenging Cleave: Shares its cooldown with the Great Cleave feat. Make a powerful sweeping attack against all nearby enemies that deals +1/+3/+5[W] damage. Each creature gains one stack of Vulnerability.

We are still in the process of examining the Sacred Defender tree and will describe those changes in a future post.

Sev~

I notice now his title reads Fighter/Barbarian/Designer...

When he gets around to fucking with Barbs will that bring back Shade to annoy us all??? Ugh that's an evil thought!

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Re: Armor Up - Dev Diary #3
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
The spell changes are good.......

Still wouldn't take a paladin past lvl 16......capstone is absolutely weak.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:02am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:10pm:
When he gets around to fucking with Barbs will that bring back Shade to annoy us all??? Ugh that's an evil thought!

He already fucked with Bards... Swashbuckler and SWF Feats.

He is working slowly through the list of classes that are considered weak from a player point of view and tries to fix them so that they are considered not weak... I agree that in some case it also kills diversity ( bards, you're either swashbuckler and not weak or you're something else and are a gimp )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

khyberkajiit
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
WTF? I know, have seen plenty of new bard build which aren't swashbucklers and still aren't gimp.

Sure probably because they miz that shit with barbarian levels I guess...

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
• Action Boost: Attack: Activate to gain a +(4/6/8) Action Boost bonus to hit for 20 seconds.

Is there some fight club benefit to this I'm missing, or does this only exist to punish whoever accidentally selects it?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:07am:

He is working slowly through the list of classes that are considered weak from a player point of view and tries to fix them so that they are considered not weak... I agree that in some case it also kills diversity ( bards, you're either swashbuckler and not weak or you're something else and are a gimp )

Sync said Barbs, not Bards.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sync said Barbs, not Bards.

Take a sec. Go back, reread. Full comprehension may arrive.

Alternately, fuck that shit. Somebody out there on the internet is wrong, and you've got a job to do!

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:46am:
Take a sec. Go back, reread. Full comprehension may arrive.

Alternately, fuck that shit. Somebody out there on the internet is wrong, and you've got a job to do!

Well:

So pretty sure I comprehended his boobies, no?
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:51am by »  

IP Logged

Ugg the Unwise
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Well:

So pretty sure I comprehended his boobies, no?

No.. Bards was used as example of previous weak class.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Sorry but the OP said:

And Flav quoted that and answered:

Flav wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:07am:

Pretty clear to me that the OP was talking about Barbs, and that Flav misunderstood, but whatever.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:14am by »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
Pretty clear to me that the OP was talking about Barbs, and that Flav misunderstood, but whatever.

Congratulations.

You were bound to be right about something eventually at the rate that you spout ascii diarhea.

I blame the law of averages though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 6:13am
Print Post  
I suppose we can wait for Flav to clear that up.

But this is the Vault, so whatever he says, we'll just claim he's lying to cover up his hideously embarrassing  Roll Eyes mistake.

Or you might I guess need more than a sec. to understand how the paragraph following Flav's mention of Bards does indeed, mention a progression and he erroneously, it turns out, thought he didn't need to add: "I am implying that Sev will eventually get around to Barbarians. I wanted to leave the implication unstated, because that is how jokes work, but Barcelot rode a dead horse into stupid town, so no."

Barcelot deserves a little bit of a break on account of it being a fucking weak-ass joke.

Fire Foot ... no break. You're a fucking idiot.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 6:39am
Print Post  
I hate Barcelot's asshattery as much as everyone else, but he was right this time.

Calling me Fire Foot is the worst insult I have received to date on the vault.

GFY.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:58am
Print Post  
barcelot is an asshole, but he is right. Now, fuck off somewhere else with Flav.

Now, as for the OP: what the fuck means "Scales with 200% Melee power" and "Scales with 100% Melee Power" ?

For fucks sake, this is going to be horrible.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Coming with U24, melee craft and ranged craft skills, 1 point gives 1% melee/ranged power. Grin

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Personally I'd love for Shade to come back.  Popcorn drama just hasn't been the same since he left.  The idiots arguing on the main board all pale to what Shade offered.

(note, I say this only because I'm confident he'll never return.  Should I prove to be wrong, I'll probably really regret saying it).

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:58am:
Now, as for the OP: what the fuck means "Scales with 200% Melee power" and "Scales with 100% Melee Power" ?

For fucks sake, this is going to be horrible.

Basically it means damage x3 and x2 respectively, of course if you have that "melee power" (by what Sev posted, you will have 150% melee power by being lvl 28 and in a capped "melee" ED)

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:28am:
Basically it means damage x3 and x2 respectively, of course if you have that "melee power" (by what Sev posted, you will have 150% melee power by being lvl 28 and in a capped "melee" ED)

Still not getting it.

Let's do an example:

Divine Light: Your Turn Undead ability now also deals 6d6/12d6/18d6 light damage to nearby undead. Scales with 200% Melee Power.

So, if you have 100 Melee Power, you will be doing 36d6 Light damage, am I correct in this one?

Or what you mean is: if I haven't 200 Melee Power, I'm not going to get 54d6 damage but just the usual 18d6?

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:31am:
Still not getting it.

Let's do an example:

Divine Light: Your Turn Undead ability now also deals 6d6/12d6/18d6 light damage to nearby undead. Scales with 200% Melee Power.

So, if you have 100 Melee Power, you will be doing 36d6 Light damage, am I correct in this one?

Or what you mean is: if I haven't 200 Melee Power, I'm not going to get 54d6 damage but just the usual 18d6?

It means it will be multiplied up to 3, depending how much melee power you have, If you have 100 then you  should indeed do 36d6 dmg to undead, with 200 - 54d6 (378 dmg)

Capstone will provide 56 average light damage per hit, with 63 more from divine sacrifice, which doesn't have any cooldown iirc (only the global 1 sec)

Edit: if that light damage will proc from offhand+DS and will be affected by spellpower, it might turn interesting lol
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:47am by Limpgimp »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry but the OP said:

And Flav quoted that and answered:

Yeah, it was early in the morning and I hadn't drunk my half liter morning coffee yet.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

But anyway, Barb will come... it's just a matter of time.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:42am:
It means it will be multiplied up to 3, depending how much melee power you have, If you have 100 then you  should indeed do 36d6 dmg to undead, with 200 - 54d6 (378 dmg)

Capstone will provide 56 average light damage per hit, with 63 more from divine sacrifice, which doesn't have any cooldown iirc (only the global 1 sec)

Okay so, if you are getting 36d6 with 100, it doesn't make any sense for the "Scales with 200% Melee power" to be there.

Is 200% Melee power a cap for the ability? I guess you don't know either.

I cannot understand why Scales with 200% Melee power is there then.

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:46am:
Okay so, if you are getting 36d6 with 100, it doesn't make any sense for the "Scales with 200% Melee power" to be there.

Is 200% Melee power a cap for the ability? I guess you don't know either.

I cannot understand why Scales with 200% Melee power is there then.

200% melee power is the maximum it can scale, so x3 is the maximum multiplier it can get.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:48am:
200% melee power is the maximum it can scale, so x3 is the maximum multiplier it can get.

Okay, so it has a point to be there.

But why the fuck would there be a cap on how much it can scale. They are getting 150 Melee power just for being capped, another 30 for their action boost. That means that they just need an item with 20 Melee Power to reach the cap for that ability.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:56am
Print Post  
And let's not even talk about that other ability with max 100 Melee Power.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint