Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO in WSJ (Read 9320 times)
NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Re: DDO in WSJ
Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 5:22pm:
Not sure what industry you work in or have any office experience....

Nerds rule high paying white collar
Manual labor, back breaking? Guess who

I can attest to this.

Most of the childhood physical bullies that I went to school with are either a) unemployed or b) working in manual labour or c) dead.

Face it. Brains over brawn.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
braiwns.

er wait what?

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
can I haz both?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:10pm:
can I haz both?

Be an athlete. People in peak physical condition are also shaping up their brains to be in the best condition they can be.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 5:49pm:
I can attest to this.

Most of the childhood physical bullies that I went to school with are either a) unemployed or b) working in manual labour or c) dead.

Face it. Brains over brawn.

for sure. But they were handicapped from the start. Bullying doesnt solve real world problems. Unless youre the USA and you have a huge army with all the new toys at your disposal. Then it works. Making the pros for athletics is a one in a million shot. Most of them are in jail/dead/ or soon to be.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #30 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
Be an athlete. People in peak physical condition are also shaping up their brains to be in the best condition they can be.

TBH I'm starting electrical engineering this year and as part of my student fees I get access to the gym, so if I have spare time (doubt it) I will go to the gym and make myself less likely to die at age 42 from a heart attack.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:15pm:

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #32 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
It worked for Jerry...

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Nuckinfutz wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 12:58pm:
I explain DDO as a hobby this way:

I have spent X amount of $$ in X amount of time. Compare that to the guy with a woodshop who pays 20-100x that just for tools and then more for materials. Plus, with my hobby, I can have my kids enjoy the hobby with me on their computer in my netwrok so they learn how to interact with people online and subsequently in real life. I dont have to go anywhere so Im saving on fuel which helps the environment, Im interacting with my children and keeping an eye on what they are doing online at the same time. Compare that to a guy who builds wooden furniture or cars and is always telling his kids to get out or stay out of his shop.

My god! you stupid fucking lackey-bot let go of whatever anger you have against that woodworker who touched your bad place in the past. Fucking stipud cunt (stipud is the most derogatory version of the more commonly used stupid, cunt? well that is fairly straight forward.)

To try to build up your "hobby" by trying to knock down another, and failing at that is so fucking trite and bitchish you bloody smegger.

The whole little scenario you is so insulting and 1 dimensional  that I can't even be bothered to give you point by point reaming you desperate wannabe. 

I do so hate the constant droning of "hey guys" from partial births like yourself.   
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2014 at 7:57pm by gawker »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #34 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 6:20pm:
TBH I'm starting electrical engineering this year and as part of my student fees I get access to the gym, so if I have spare time (doubt it) I will go to the gym and make myself less likely to die at age 42 from a heart attack.

You never have spare time. It always comes at the cost of something else.

Sounds like you're starting college? If so, you've got a whole world of choices opening. Or, looking at it a different way, a whole world of options to say no to. For many, the habits they start in college are the habits they carry through life.

Team sports are excellent (Plaxico Burress notwithstanding).

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 8:32pm:

Sounds like you're starting college? If so, you've got a whole world of choices opening. Or, looking at it a different way, a whole world of options to say no to. For many, the habits they start in college are the habits they carry through life.

Could not agree more, few things are as beneficial to someone in there late teens and early 20s as learning the ropes within groups people who may not be your peers in activities you would normally choose.

It is much easier to get along with people who share your interests and world view, too easy if you want to develop the social skills that are required for a successful life.

A childhood friend was quite brilliant (for our small town mind you) and class valedictorian. When he went to Caltech he joined the water-polo tea, while a swimmer growing up we had nothing like that, and he had always been more of of a physics club kinda of guy.

Years later, he told me that the lessons of friendship, accountability, teamwork, rivalry, pecking order, and many others had been just as valuable to his career success and happy life as his academic education.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 12:37am
Print Post  

Nice!  always a lot of hot guys in the gym. 

if you're lucky you'll have the pleasure to see someone whacking it in the shower opposite you with the curtain only part way drawn.  or you might see a 65-year-old man trying to navigate his way across the wet, slippery floor without tripping on his ballsack.

and the FLORA!  athlete's foot!  ring worm!  hep A!  ebola!

gyms.  they are the best!

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #37 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 12:52am
Print Post  
TBH I'm starting electrical engineering this year

Try get some time working for electricians before you start your degree. 

There's nothing worse than working on plans by an engineer straight out of uni with no practical experience.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #38 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 8:32pm:

I'm sure I won't have much spare time, I have around 26-27 hours of class a week so it's gonna be fuuuun.........and hopefully I'll actually start making good habits rather than the crappy ones I have made during high school.......

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #39 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 12:52am:
Try get some time working for electricians before you start your degree. 

There's nothing worse than working on plans by an engineer straight out of uni with no practical experience.

Maybe I can do that next summer, although I have to ask what is the problem with the just out of uni w/no practical experience EEs, like what exactly are the errors they make?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 1:59pm:
I'm sure I won't have much spare time, I have around 26-27 hours of class a week so it's gonna be fuuuun.........and hopefully I'll actually start making good habits rather than the crappy ones I have made during high school.......

The hardest change to make is the switch in mindset from "have to be here," to "want to be here." High school does an excellent job of teaching you that somebody else makes the choices. When you get to college, that's supposed to suddenly be different. But not many people will help you figure out how, or help you deal with the increased pressure.

One good strategy is to spread your classes out across all kinds of different disciplines. Drop & change the classes that bore you immediately, and keep the ones that interest and challenge you.

If you leave it up to hope to start making good habits, what you're saying is that you feel just fine with the habits you have now. Which is, in fact, just fine.

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #41 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Aug 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
The carpentry Explanation

It's not a bash on carpentry/car restoration. It's a cost and time comparison. A man has got to know his limitations and while I could build all of those things, my finishing skills are near non-existent and it would look like a JR high school project. And tho I do a lot of my mechanic work myself, I loathe working on cars.

I'm geek. And being geek, I prefer electronics. Building, programming, and managing systems. Taught myself networking then went to school for it. And so when people look at my hobby as an obsession or *gasp* eviiiiiil, I reply with the comparison.

So thanks for bringin back crappy school memories like the geek in breakfast club. *looks around for a flare gun to fire at you*

Felgor wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 3:45am:
DDO died a long time ago, we just all have trouble admitting it.

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #42 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
EE is one of the two degrees my children are allowed to pursue if they want a technical based job.  The other is Accounting if they want to be more business / financial.  The two are the foundations of most jobs (and give you the most pay out of college).

If any of them want to work in a technical field, they should be an EE.  It is a great foundation to work on anything from electronics to patent law.   The only caveat to going into patent law is to make sure you pick your law school wisely.  Top 1-2 tier firms frown on the lower tier schools (as well as lower tier undergraduate), but can offer 150k/year for first year associates.  I did not choose the EE route and have a useless degree in History as well as Economics and had to play catch up the first 3-5 years as a network engineer.  Good thing for me is that my wife did choose wiesly.

If I knew then what I know now... I would have done EE.  Every other kind of engineering is kind of a waste (people will hate on that statement, but it is true).

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #43 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 7:35pm:
The hardest change to make is the switch in mindset from "have to be here," to "want to be here." High school does an excellent job of teaching you that somebody else makes the choices. When you get to college, that's supposed to suddenly be different. But not many people will help you figure out how, or help you deal with the increased pressure.

One good strategy is to spread your classes out across all kinds of different disciplines. Drop & change the classes that bore you immediately, and keep the ones that interest and challenge you.

If you leave it up to hope to start making good habits, what you're saying is that you feel just fine with the habits you have now. Which is, in fact, just fine.

My problem is that I have 5 or 6 courses (I'm uncertain as to this point whether writing skills is a course or just a test I write before school starts) that I am auto enrolled into, and I need to take two electives this year (so one first semester one second semester), so I'm basically locked into general chem, intro to engi, physics mechanics, linear algebra and calculus 1. (as well as politics in film, which is the elective I took)

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #44 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:46am:
EE is one of the two degrees my children are allowed to pursue if they want a technical based job.  The other is Accounting if they want to be more business / financial.  The two are the foundations of most jobs (and give you the most pay out of college).

If any of them want to work in a technical field, they should be an EE.  It is a great foundation to work on anything from electronics to patent law.   The only caveat to going into patent law is to make sure you pick your law school wisely.  Top 1-2 tier firms frown on the lower tier schools (as well as lower tier undergraduate), but can offer 150k/year for first year associates.  I did not choose the EE route and have a useless degree in History as well as Economics and had to play catch up the first 3-5 years as a network engineer.  Good thing for me is that my wife did choose wiesly.

If I knew then what I know now... I would have done EE.  Every other kind of engineering is kind of a waste (people will hate on that statement, but it is true).

I wouldn't say this is true, because I feel like people should do what they want to do.....however most of the math and science teachers at my school were mechanical engineers Cheesy

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #45 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:41am:
I wouldn't say this is true, because I feel like people should do what they want to do.....however most of the math and science teachers at my school were mechanical engineers Cheesy

I should probably clarify... I am not saying you cannot get a job with other types of engineering degrees, they are just less desirable in the work force in general.  An EE is most adaptable to different lines of work and generally starts out with more $ out of school; which if you have student loans...  it aint cheap.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #46 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:40pm:
I should probably clarify... I am not saying you cannot get a job with other types of engineering degrees, they are just less desirable in the work force in general.  An EE is most adaptable to different lines of work and generally starts out with more $ out of school; which if you have student loans...  it aint cheap.

Well to make sure I won't have to take student loans I am:

1) living at home (residence is like 15k a year not including meal plans.....so yeah tons of money saved)

2) I have an RESP (registered education savings plan) which will cover a lot of my education (although not as much as it would have by pre2008 estimates for its end value)

3) there is part of OSAP (ontario student assistance program) where you can get a 30% tuition rebate if your parents make less than 170 thousand combined each year (my parents do not).

4) working during the summers to pay for part

5) generally relying on my parents quite a bit........

So all of these things combined (hopefully) will keep me away from student loans.

What is kind of funny is that my dad thinks I should get student loans anyways (which I probably won't need to, and my mom doesn't think I should), and I'm like no.......I don't want to be like you and paying off student loans until I'm 50........

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #47 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Oh and the reason I chose EE was because it would be easier to get a job, the choice was between EE and civil engineering......I chose EE.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #48 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:41am:
My problem is that I have 5 or 6 courses (I'm uncertain as to this point whether writing skills is a course or just a test I write before school starts) that I am auto enrolled into, and I need to take two electives this year (so one first semester one second semester), so I'm basically locked into general chem, intro to engi, physics mechanics, linear algebra and calculus 1. (as well as politics in film, which is the elective I took)

Try to take your electives outside of your discipline. There are a fair amount of GE courses, and it's possible they come on a rotation, so if you miss them you might have to wait a year or more before they're offered again. But it's also possible that you're auto-enrolled in order to help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.

A secret exploit that exists in almost every college: they listen to what you want. Administration may appear inflexible, but they usually give in to persistence.

Another secret exploit: all advice is optional.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Ok guys community college in Ontario works quite differently then the states in so far as I know.

I also am astounded/surprised that I just found out Kierg is a fellow canuck/Ontarian I had no idea! Lolz!

Yeah man, don't go the loan route at all.

I have 4 diplomas all from my local community college & I paid for all of them out of my own pocket, so no debt at all.

Plus if your still in your early to mid 20's you'll be fine, lots of time to change fields/careers even if need be.

Definitely try and get an apprenticeship or do co-op or a placement, depending on what your program offers.

Also start networking now looking for a job, don't leave it for the last semester, just saying.

Good luck in your endeavors! Cheers! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint